Fri, Sep 20, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: # of gallery uploads...a little rant here

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:04 PM

One image a day works for me.

Works great, in fact.

Seeing as how I have a grand total of one (1) image in the gallery.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Jenai21 ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:59 PM

Okay what's really bothering me about this conversation is that some people seem to be justifying the new limit because they can't fathom how someone can complete 3 unique quality images a day...this is total bull...some of my favorite artists have completed 3 a day and when I first started I could post 3 completely unique, finished and what I feel is quality images a day very easily...just because some people take 3 weeks to complete an image doesn't mean you punish those who have the time, skill, patience, or whatever you want to call it, to do more...if you want to justify the limit a simple it's a free site and renderosity will do what it wants regardless is enough...but to force your ideas of the proper time needed to complete quality art is not right and should be unacceptable...allowing others(and others being few if my recollection of the last renderosity poll regarding changing the limit) to decide for a whole community what is or isn't art, or what does or doesn't represent the proper amount of time to complete art goes against what all artist believe in and that's freedom of expression...if renderosity is experiencing bandwidth problems or the cost is extreme those are things that I can deal with but someone telling me I need 3 weeks to complete my vision is unacceptable...also it's good to remember that their are a lot of hobbyist (like myself) and beginners who don't strive for perfection with every image they use this site to get feedback on their work and to show their progress not to say look at me my image is perfect...also the excuse that not every image get the amount of views it deserves because folks upload 3 a day is another what I feel dumb excuse...you can have the same images on a page for a week and if they don't appeal to people they won't be viewed if your art is good enough trust me people will take the time to either mark you as their favorite or surf the gallery...I only click on thumbnails that appeal to me not thumbnails that are just their...if you don't get the views you think you deserve maybe you should examine your own art instead of trying to impede others...again I feel renderosity has the right to limit uploads because it is a free site and renderosity does pay to host the images although I completely agree with DE that this is a symbiotic relationship our art helps renderosity get their nice percentage from the marketplace but if this decision was motivated by the above reasons I feel this is more political bull being forced upon artists by those who are either jealous of the amount of views others get or are snobbish about what real art is and how long it takes to be made...this is all just my opinion and if this offends anyone I'm sorry but it's how I feel...forcing your views about art on others is wrong...sorry this was a lot longer than I intended but I just got on a roll...Jenn...wow and to think I wasn't going to say anything... :)

Richabri ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:08 PM

I'm lucky to have time to make and post one render a week ... why can't I give my other six days posting rights to Rockets?! Like passing tokens or something? Someone earlier in the thread asked who can make three quality renders in a day - Rockets can and has always done so :)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 1:58 AM

i figure i'll throw my 2 cents in here. before i start, i'll admit to having no gallery here. most of my work is for the place that pays me (and way too boring to post here), and the rest i mainly keep to myself. anyone who wants to ignore my opinion on this basis, can. quality is totally subjective. more work does not necessarily mean better work. brilliance might come quick or slow, depending on your style. i don't think that matisse's cut-outs are any less great than rodin's sculptures. i definitely don't think that rodin's work is worth less because he made molds and was able to "mass produce" it. personally, i have not noted a difference in quality in the gallery, though i think the diversity has gone up (i.e., higher non-poser percentage wise). but since i haven't actually recorded anything, this change could be completely in my head. i do, however, often get to look at the whole days posting, instead of having to click four times just to get to a new page because i wait too long and 100 new pictures have been posted. i also get to see pictures from a wider range of people. personally, i like this. but that is a viewer, not poster perspective. i can understand why an artist might want me to see the 50 great pieces he/she made that day all at once, and be frustrated at not being able to do that. that said, no one has a right to unrestricted posting in this gallery any more than they have a right to have their pictures hang in the guggenheim. arguing over whether "the artists make the community" is rather moot. if you don't like it self-publish, as ratteler has. getting "grandfathered" in makes no sense from any practical standpoint (for renderosity) if they want things to change. if what they want to do is change how the gallery presently works, they need to change how it works for present users. responding to ratteler- comics (not "graphic novels") can't be just any length. 22 pages- that's it. just because an artist can make an extra 6 or 8 pages by the deadline, and even though the publishers do nothing besides sell the work of artists and would be nothing without those artists, doesn't mean that artists or writers get to publish any format they want. and, in mainstream comics, your work is going to be interrupted by page length ads whose placement you have no say about. comic strips have an even more limited presentation format. if charles schultz, sergio aragones (spy vs. spy), aaron mcgruder and myriads of other serial artists can manage to get by on 3 panels a day so that other artists can be included on a single page and all be seen, i truly fail to see why you cannot make do with a single image a day. or how about this? i would bet that most of the traffic here is to the freestuff section, not the gallery or the marketplace. you want to make a comic and control the format? make it into a pdf and post it to freestuff. or, as was suggested, post a composite "page" each day and allow anyone who wants to look at the story as a whole look at your gallery. frankly, unlimited upload wouldn't guarantee you'd get to present your work uninterupted by the work of others anyway. basically, i don't see reason for people to have unlimited uploads. yeah, i can see the restriction as a very, very minor inconvenience that can be overcome with a minimal amount of effort. but nothing more than that. and personally, i usually find creative solutions to severe limitations the most interesting of artwork. i guess ratteler's reference to more concrete ways of publishing/displaying got me thinking. the "real world" seems to involve so many more limitations on publishing art work of any kind: galleries can't just expand to fit all of your works, editors remove parts of authors' writings and don't need the authors' permission, movies get whittled down, screenplays get revised, revised, and revised again by different writers, etc. and what keeps it going is that there are always tons of artists willing to put up with huge limitations just for the opportunity of publishing. the web has created so many opportunities for us to publish, i feel like we often take for granted our freedoms and focus on what we can't do instead of what we can. since i'm on vacation now, i think i'll take advantage of some of that freedom instead of blabbbing on any longer.

LeeEvans ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 4:38 AM

okay, I gotta say something too... If any of you click on my name and view my gallery, you will see plainly that I do not post frequently... (nor do I consider myself much of an "ARTIST") ... but to Rattler... Please tell me you have not missed the point you make yourself to SUPPORT the change... You make 3 images, and you want them to be posted together, right? So.. what happens as you are posting one... Dr Geep is also uploading and he, for whatever reason, gets in TWO of his pics in the time that it takes you to upload your second... Point being... your pictures do not necessarily remain "together" regardless of the new policy.. and now that the shoe is on the other foot (you being the one being "interrupted") how do you feel about the policy? I say, good thing to limit posts for the gallery, and yes, you were correct as far as you have the right to withdraw your "art" from the site. Note: I have no issue with Dr Geep, and didn't mean any ill intention by using his name... just a prevalant poster in the thread that was easy to repeat... ;) My .02...

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 5:21 AM

Oh, I reckon I can make three good images a day no problem. Somehow I have the patience not to rush and post them all at once straightaway. It's not a question of "one glove fits all" - this is all to do with the fact that this is a community gallery, and some sort of ground rules of courtesy need to be established. Now it may be that Ratteler has created an art form that consists of three separate images that must be posted in a gallery in adjacent slots for the artwork to be appreciated. I complete defer to him that he has created such a work, albeit that it is rather unusual. The fact that this artwork can't be displayed at Renderosity must be set alongside that neither can sculpture, video installations or performance art be displayed here. Equally, I have pictures that I can't post here at all because of the TOS. I'm quite happy to accept that and post them elsewhere. It doesn't seem to me to be something worth arguing over.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 8:47 AM

on behalf of all the non-artist hobbyists here, I think the limit's more for folks like me..;). I do most of my stuff in 2-6 hours or so..except for a couple (which have hit counts of over 100, for me, that's fantastic..maybe someone's trying to tell me something?..;) I know that I get to a certain level of competance..and get stuck there..I used to weed out my gallery every few months or so (posted well over a hundred pics in the 2 years I've been annoying y'all..;), but after seeing some folks' galleries in the multiple hundreds..I've just been letting them pile up.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Lyrra ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 8:50 AM

watches the scrimmage from the shadows

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 9:08 AM

What bothers me the most is those who are trying to tell me it's ok that my specific form of art has been silenced. We're not "silencing" your or your type of art. We're simply spreading out all the artwork because a lot of people asked for more stringent limits because their stuff was buried so quickly. (If you don't believe me, check out old threads in the Community Center.) And what about serial artists who post in groups of 4? And all those comic book people who create 6 or 8 panels for one page and want all of them to show together? By your definition, they've been silenced all along because there's never been more than 3 uploads allowed in one day. You can always post a picture, post the next one the next day, then go back to the first one and put in the link to the new picture so people can quickly find the latest one. You can also post a link to your entire gallery under each picture so people can see everything at once: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=Ratteler That would better take care of the problem, any way, since chances are if you upload 3 items at once, you will probably have the upload "interupted" by someone else anyway unless you're really quick about it. Anyhoo, happy holidays, no matter where you post, Cres

lundqvist ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 9:13 AM

Heh, I wish I could make 3 good images in this lifetime :(

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 9:18 AM

LOL Lundquist, that's gotta be the understatement of the year! Your pictures are AWESOME!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Poppi ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 9:41 AM

I'm sure it was not intended, but the policy is slap in the face to any REAL artist. Ratteler....this is kind of insulting to those of us who can upload ONE picture, even if it is of a series, and have it stand alone as a good work...period. Also, I really enjoy some of the other sites like CGTalk and Raph.com. Both have galleries that are on approval only...although at cgtalk you can post what you are working on. of course, ratteler, i don't see much poser art at either site....good stuff, though. very good stuff. makes me wonder if the folks who did make the galleries there are aware that they aren't "artists".

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 10:17 AM

Ratteler wrote: "I guess I'm more concered that people recognize they have lost something important with this change. There will no longer be any way tell astory in the gallery that cannot be told on a single page ... What bothers me the most is those who are trying to tell me it's ok that my specific form of art has been silenced." This is simply not true. It is not the case that a story in pictures has to be told in consecutive slots in the gallery. I say this from experience because I have posted numerous such narrative sequences, the longest being 125 pictures long. All of them posted at a rate of one per day. If people like your story they will watch for it. Your type of art has not been silenced, unless you have some additional criteria that requires the pictures to be in adjacent slots, and I can't envisage what that might be.

Himico ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 11:16 AM

I agree with cobaltdream.

I think we have a strong limitation everywhere. Good journal has a strict space limitation. If we exceed the limit, it is automatically rejected. A prestigious journal has very strong space limitation. We have to worry how we cut a few words. It is an important skill to present our point in a limited space.

geep ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 11:24 AM

Himico has a very good ----->"." ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 11:25 AM

"." <-------- that's a POINT!

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

DarkElegance ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 12:09 PM

O.o I can not think or believe that only one or two artists here understand the concept of or frustration of having your work mangled chopped croped or limited. the whole"screenplays are revised revised revised.....stories rewritten.." etc..you are telling me it wouldnt tweek you to have your work altered or changed from what you wanted it to be or visioned it? O.o that wouldnt bother you?????? as for the whole "it is renderosities playground and they can do what they like" well guess what then why on earth even have the forums? the whole "give us your imput" deal? why invite encourage artists to come and speak and share if they are going to go "it is our toy we will do with it as we please and pooh pooh on you" sorry but it IS the artists that make or brreak this place that is a fact like it or not. Renderosity opened the doors for it all....as in for comments critism suggestions and arguements. THEY have encouraged it. so then when people do it why then do some have to spout "ohh they are whining they didnt get their way"? the whole one a day or not one a day doesnt effect me per se...as I said befor. BUT it does effect others. to say it doesnt to say that it shouldnt to put them down for them feeling it does is callouse! Rendersoity is notoriouse for doing things, members being upset hurt or so ticked they leave and then renderosity going"it is our toy we can do what we want" guess what that is not smart business on a free site or pay site store or gallery. The one a day is inplace...we all know that no matter if hell froze over rendo wont change it now....BUT that doesnt mean people do not have the right and yes it is a RIGHT to speak up and say "hey I dont like it due to these reasons" why is that so hard to fathom or even accept?? NO not everyone that can do ONE pic a day is a great artist..just like NO a real artist isnt someone that does twenty a day....a REAL ARTIST is one that can show the vision they have ...to express their ideas emotions and passion through the medium of choice....songs that have made you feel deeply..pictures that make you think or jaw drop...dance that moves your spirit....a code that just boogles your mind.....art...is expression...art is communication....art is not just from one medium or one type of person... I ask that everyone in this thread..just stop for a moment and try to see it from the other side. I know some of you will defend renderosity no matter what, just think for a moment if you have ever felt passionately about something you have seen or participated in on a forum or site or what ever where you stood up and spoke what you felt. did it make you wrong? did it make you wrong because your point was not in the current popular vote? just think...we are all artists here...good or bad artists but we are all artists. we all are passionate about what we believe in. ~sighs~ oh and BTW....NICE point Dr Geep...~giggles~"."

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 1:21 PM

I am NOT an artist, darnit, and I'm tired of people saying that I am. We are NOT "all" artists here. Grrr. ;-) KateTheAudience

geep ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 1:26 PM

Ok, ok ........ I see it's true cofession time here. I am NOT an artist, either ... but ... I enjoy the he!! out of CG. So there !!! cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Himico ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 2:20 PM

Dr. geep,
You have a good point. Would you like another PhD, doctor of point.

My confession.
I am not an artist either. I was just playing with Barbie.

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 2:25 PM

I ask that everyone in this thread..just stop for a moment and try to see it from the other side. And please try to see it from ours. A lot of people asked us to limit the uploads to one per day. (A few wanted even more stringent policies.) After a lot of debate, listening to everyone who spoke up, the decision was made to limit it to 1 per day. We can not please everyone. That will never happen. This wasn't done to screw anyone over. It wasn't done after ignoring you or anyone else. It was done after listening to everyone including people who disagreed with your point of view. For a variety of reasons, the admins decided that the 1 per day would work best, due to increased traffic, ease of coding changes, etc. Just because their decision didn't agree with your opinion does not mean that you were ignored, targetted, whatever. Thanks, Cres

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 3:26 PM

DE: if it "tweeked" me, i wouldn't write a screenplay (which i haven't, though not for this reason). or make a comic. or write a book. or do just about anything besides publish on the web, because everywhere else is going to be under the control of a hell of a lot of other people besides me. because that's what happens when you work with other creative people instead of just doing everything on your own.

if i want complete control, i do everything myself and i don't see a reason to complain that i don't get to use someone else's space precisely as i want to.

maybe it's misplaced, but i do expect more from such creative people as those here have shown themselves to be. not because of "bad" or "ungrateful" behavior, but because i would expect this to be an unnoticable pebble that your (collective) creativity would easily get around.

and my point about all those fields was this: for every person that looks at those limitations and walks away, many more think nothing of them and work with them. or even more, thrive from them. and so book publishing, comic book publishing, radio, film and television all remain stronger than a single artist. all of those fields allow orders of magnitude less creative control than this place does, and yet people keep working with them.

so, ok, you're upset. but you're still near the top of the heap when it comes to creative control. if you want to be angry, go ahead, but be angry with perspective.

i'm all for complete creative control. in my experience and observation, it comes with the cost of doing absolutely everything yourself.

ratteler: people can still easily see your work as you want to present it. i mentioned at least one solution that didn't involve reducing you to one page. as was mentioned by geep, anyone looking by artist (which much better fits your gallery analogy than someone just looking at the day's postings) will see all of your works in thumbnails at once. personally, this is exactly how i view those who create sequential works, such as bigt's great escape.

i guess to me it boils down to this: if you put your work in a public place, you make compromises because the owners of the place and the viewers have wants and needs that enter the equation. if you don't work with them, you're not trying to communicate, you're trying to dominate.

i'm sympathetic to wanting complete control, but not to demanding control over others and their resources to get it.

personally, i see it as a balance: viewers get to see more works from different people- benefitting the many, but have to look up an artist to see their work alone -only somewhat inconveniencing the few.

so, i hear, i'm sorry people are upset, but i do think it more productive to move on to solutions than complain. and i know from watching various artists in the "real" world disappear from notice, those that don't will likely be forgotten, whether unjustly or justly.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 3:29 PM

Cresent I do see it from that side. I understand the whole flood mud slide deal of the gallerys{I guess I am lucky as I browse the galleries in the middle of the night and have cable modem} so the whole mudslide effect doesnt really bother me. but what irks me is that those that do not like the limits are treated as if they are whining. to some it feels like having our legs tied. the thread is a rant...to express the frustration. I guess the thing is as it doesnt weed out what some may see as bad art..or bad poser art...it doesnt really keep the galleries from the mudslide effect...I just do not fathom how exactly it helped. it ticked alot of people off...{once more as I barely have time to sit and finish a piece right now much less any inspiration..it doesnt tweek me per se} ~sighs~ I give up I just lost my train of thought as my cookie timer went off....wanders off again to do the cookie thing~

Commission open.

rockets ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 3:41 PM

Crescent I do see your point of view. As I said, most people who post a lot in the galleries don't frequent the forums often and usually don't post when they do visit. I understand that's not your fault. I stated my opinion back then too, but as usual was on the opposite side of the popular opinion. :-) Consequently the only voice that was heard was the side wanting change, because they spoke up. I hope in the future people on both sides are aware of what's going on and speak up for what they want. That being said, I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 3:48 PM

O.o okokokok MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commission open.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.