Mon, Sep 23, 2:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Blade Modeling

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 9:00 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 2:19 PM

file_94134.jpg

Looks like our forum has gone into hibernation for a bit... let's see if we can get it jump started again. :o) I've finished work on a simple bladed weapon for use in Poser. As most of you already know Poser (4) has a default smoothing angle of 100, which makes things look bloated and puffy. This works fine for characters and pillows but not simple mechanical, or non-organic, models. I've modeled this in LightWave 3D, keeping in mind that Poser also prefers tris-and-quads over n-gons. I don't really mind about the non-planar polygons, because Poser is going to smooth all those out anyway. Will post a bit more. :o) Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter
"If you don't mind, then it don't matter."

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 9:10 AM

file_94135.jpg

Rather than trying to imagine what Poser will do to my model, I change the smoothing threshold of my surfaces to 100.0 in LightWave to simulate what would happen. It then becomes easy to see where I need to split vertices to give my model the sharp edges it needs. M

Mind Over Matter

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 9:12 AM

file_94136.jpg

If I didn't split the vertices... this is what Poser would do to my mesh. This bloating effect is most obvious on the grips and guard. M

Mind Over Matter

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 9:24 AM

file_94137.jpg

The way I set up my surfaces makes it easy to pick out different parts of the blade, making it pretty simple for splitting vertices, and for painting a uvmap texture image later on. The screen grab above shows, in alternating layers, where I have split vertices. M

Mind Over Matter

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 10:32 AM

file_94138.jpg

Above is a non-surfaced render of the mesh in LightWave 3D *(top half of image)*, and in Poser *(bottom half of image)*. The lighting set up is very different between the two renders, and I forgot to turn down the specular highlights of the default Poser materials. But, I guess you can see that by using split vertices, you can pretty much guarantee that what you model in one application will produce predictable results in Poser. Since the actual mesh is very light *(only 1,775 polygons)* it will free up some memory for any texture images you need to use. Hope that these insights were a bit useful. :o) Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 11:10 AM

Excellent modeling and thanks for the tips for using LW models in Poser.

billy-home ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 1:56 PM

Cool Moe.

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 6:09 PM

If you have a model, and you don't have a modelling program, or you don't know how to split vertices, you can just import the model into UVMapper (free version will do) and use the split vertices option. Obviously a bit more crude than doing it in the actual modelling program, but useful for most mechanical, non-organic objects.

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 7:19 PM

Great tip, numanoid! But, in UVMapper, how do you go about controlling which vertices should be split ans which ones shouldn't. Really curious to hear how that is achieved outside of a modeling program. Thanks for your input. :o) M P.S. waves to billy-home Hiya matey!

Mind Over Matter

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 8:31 PM

file_94139.jpg

Imagine trying to split vertices on a model like this. I just put it in UVMapper, said split vertices, and it looks fine. Like I said, only for non-organic models.

PS. I don't know how it is achieved, I lust know it worked.

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 8:34 PM

Ha ha ha, I lust know. I do!!!!! Supposed to read "just know"

Fillingim ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 9:07 AM

Cool tips from you both!!

billy-home ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 2:02 PM

Not sure if this would work with UVMapper, but if you select a part and then tell it us split the vertices, it may only split the selected part. Dunno for sure, must try it one day. Billy

billy-home ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 2:05 PM

LOL tell it us split, meant "tell it to split", numanoid your contagious mate.

Moebius87 ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:42 AM

Attached Link: Blade Texturing

I've decided to take this discussion a step further and to jump forums, so I posted the thread above to the **Texturing Forum**. Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter

jerr3d ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 6:55 PM

Wow! I didn't even know there was a texturing forum, but will go check it out!

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2004 at 9:07 AM

file_94140.jpg

Hi, Moe! Yes, splitting vertices will certainly help the appearance of a model imported into Poser. Yes, importing a model in UV Mapper "classic" will allow one to do this, however (We knew there'd be a "however"), one can NOT select which vertices or material zones. It's either all or nothing. However (What? Another "however"?), UV Mapper Pro overcomes this limitation. Yes, it does cost 50 bucks. I bought it a few weeks ago and I must say I don't regret my purchase. As an example, here's Xonxost's Poser adaptation of James Murphy's excellent Dalek mesh. On the left is how it would normally render in Poser, that infernal shading algorithm smoothing the slats of the "skirt". On the right is the same model after I optimized the .OBJ in UVM Pro. No new faces have been added, rather, a few degenerate and concave facets were "cleaned up". I've been having a field day "optimizing" various models to render better in Poser. Also, now that I have this tool, I'm starting to model goodies I hope to eventually donate to the freebie section. I had hestitated because my efforts, while looking decent within TrueSpace, looked horrible within Poser. I'll show one or two of those in a follow-up post. Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Moebius87 ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2004 at 10:14 AM

Coolness, Bill. This is the kind of sharing of tips and tricks that would really be nice to see around here. :o) Could you please start a new thread so that folks can see that we haven't all dozed off. :o) Appreciate it lots! Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2004 at 10:23 AM

Will do, Moe! I can create two separate threads as I'm juggling two projects at the moment. OT, say, what special keystroke is used to generate the symbol above the "o" in your name? I feel like I'm misspelling or virtually mispronouncing it. 8-/ Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Cyhiraeth ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 12:40 AM

Newbie here....what does splitting vertices do? How does it make a model render better in Poser?

numanoid ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 2:24 AM

See post number 17. Splitting vertices gives you sharp angles on non-organic objects. Because Poser is made for people and organic things, it tries to smooth everything. Splitting vertices let's you get harder edges. More advanced modelling programs let you specify the angle of splitting, but Poser is not a modeller, and you need to use an external program to do this. UV Mapper is free and does a very good job.

Cyhiraeth ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 10:40 AM

Great, thanks! I have UV Mapper Pro and I am working on something right now. I may just try the split vertices and see what happens!

billy-home ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 1:31 PM

There is one small problem with just splitting the vertices of a model without actually making sure first they all need to be split, on things like cylinders and spheres where you need the smoothing, every individual polygon will have a sharp edge which will in some cases ruin the look of the model, it's sometimes easier,(though usually still long winded), to use a proper modelling prog to split the vertices, where you can select just the parts you need to be sharp. Cheers Billy Billy

billy-home ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 1:33 PM

LOL, there's an echo in here

Cyhiraeth ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 1:40 PM

Thanks, Billy-home, I may not want to do it then, because I do have some parts of my prop that are rounded, half cylindrical shapes. Maybe I'll save it under a different name and try it out just for the heck of it ;-)

numanoid ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 5:54 PM

With UV Mapper Pro, you can select individual vertices for splitting. When you make your model, make the rounded objects like cylinders and spheres seperate groups, and when you split vertices just do it group by group, and don't do the rounded objects.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.