Thu, Sep 19, 10:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: *Vote* WTH?

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 10:02 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:51 PM

Why has it suddenly become necessary for people to say when they vote on an image? I'm not aware of any changes to the TOS that makes this a requirement... This seems to have spiralled out of control the last couple of months...It never used to be this way. It's getting so you can't look at a single image without half a dozen people shouting VOTE in ya face. If someone can give me one single logical explanation for doing this, then I will not say another word about it... Matt.

verlughmina ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 10:13 AM

I personally ONLY click on images I think are nice,... and if upon looking at them I find them to be 'whatever rating I think them to be' I post that. I don't always post an opinion, It is less often, even, that i'll post a ranking, and surely It is rare that I will vote for something but when I do I like to let the person know because I want them to know how much I absolutely REALLY am impressed with their work. I think you are maybe discussing those with possibly a non-genuine opinion, so that leaves me out because when I post 'vote' I have filtered my opinion to a purity level beyond who I know here, or who I'm 'friends' with or anything like that. For the most part I judge someone's work by ONLY their work. I even try not to look at who did the work and just judge it by its own quality. You are one of the people I think I've posted 'vote' to, and so I'm glad to be given the opportunity to explain how genuinely its meant. I know that I find that Its nice to know who thinks that much of MY work... its a way of letting someone know how much you TRUELY think the piece is unique and spectacular in some form, beyond ranking, beyond any posting. V

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 10:25 AM

Fair enough, i'm actually guilty of telling someone that I voted on one of their images also. Within the last two weeks I have done it, but, this was the first time I have EVER done it and it will probably not happen again soon, if ever. However, what I am mainly talking about is people that seem to constantly (every day) do this. Personally, I think this is another clique thing, and since I have said how I feel about those in a different thread, I will say no more. Matt.

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 11:08 AM

^^ is guilty as charged, due to a lack of english language, i expressed myself by a VOTE to show my admiration to Matts work, NOW he doesn't like that me doing so, and therefor i promise myself never to VOTE on Matts work again, nor will i ever place a comment with the same admiration into ANY work of Matt again, for he surely DOESN'T appreciate me doing so ... LACHUH HE?

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 11:45 AM

Your English looks pretty good to me. Even if you don't think it is you could always leave comments in your native language. Then you wouldn't have to rely on writing VOTE. As for people not voting or commenting on my work, i'm probably one of a very few number of people on here that doesn't equate comments or votes to the success of an image. I make them for me and me alone, if anyone else likes them then that's a bonus. But it doesn't affect the way I feel about something. So, feel free not to vote, comment or even look at my images if that's what people want. I'm grown up enough to handle it and not let it affect me when I come to comment on those people's work. Matt.

verlughmina ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 11:47 AM

i know what you mean, CI, so just that you know not everyone is of that mindset... :) undisclosed... I don't think he doesn't appreciate it, I think he really just wants to know if those who do it are honest when they do it or if there is some kind of general 'agenda' within the fractal community... I think he may be finding out who is genuine and who has an agenda... ((((hug)))) I know what you mean about the language barrier. I have had to be short and to the point before when in the gallery of someone with a different language. OHHHH and by the way, somewhat off topic is this... I found these a few weeks ago, you might find them useful sweetie: http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en and: http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr I've started using internet language translation tools and it makes all the difference in the world to me now. v

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 12:04 PM

its allright, i can manage pretty well in any common language, was only joking about the VOTE stuff, for i found it remarkable finding something in here after i VOTED on Matts work for the first time LOL and as i remember correctly, Matt was looking for a specific reason why anyone would VOTE on an image and tells that as well ... but i won't stop looking at the artwork LOL i love what anyone is trying to accomplish and admire those who design something original and unique to me oh and there are many other language translation sites on the net, only can have fun about what the outcome to some are http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html and http://www.systranbox.com/systran/box i use pretty often have a nice day smile Harmen

verlughmina ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 12:19 PM

Heyyy thanks Harmen. I have added them to my lang./translation tools folder in my faves. :) V

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 12:21 PM

You're right, V, I do appreciate when people comment on my images. I don't write thank you notes to people but that is a personal choice, I would rather spend the time looking at other peoples work or making new ones myself. I really don't understand why people would want to tell me that they have voted for one of my images...Isn't it enough to know that you have voted? Why does everybody else have to know? I truly do not understand the thinking behind this... The only reason I can come up with is that they are trying to influence the people that they are giving the votes to into returning the favour. Seems to me that people are placing way to much emphasis on the 'Hot 20' lately anyway. Does it really make that much difference if you get in it for a few days? And if what I have said above is true, then aren't you getting into it under false pretences? Wouldn't everyone feel better knowing that they made it there through the validity of the image rather than because they know a lot of people? This has been touched upon in a different thread and I would really like to able to say that this isn't what is happening. Convince me otherwise people... Matt.

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 12:29 PM

Just read your second comment on my image, Harmen, LOL. Breaking another tradition of not writing thank you notes...Thanks, Harmen.

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 1:00 PM

YVMMTW m8 smile

IndigoSplash ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 11:27 PM

I've noticed that some people seem to actually race to be the first to comment on certain works as well, LOL. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :) To be perfectly honest, it's quite common for me to vote on an image without leaving any comments at all. They don't usually make the hot20 though. But a lot of good stuff never does. I think the reasons for announcing their votes are pretty transparent, by the way. The longer I'm a member here, I think the more glad I am that I'm not a popular figure. I know I suck artistically. If I had a lot of friends telling me otherwise, it would probably be a detriment to my growth. I don't want to think I'm good if I'm not. Cuz then I'd really look like a fool. Not only that...but I just don't have the energy to keep people in my favor, so to speak. I like giving back to the community by commenting and voting when I can...but I don't do the quid pro quo game. Takes the joy and integrity out of the whole experience.

IndigoSplash ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 12:00 AM

"PS. I've commented first several times. I don't "rush" to type, it's as simple as me sitting in front of the computer when someone posts a work that I like (duh). Can't help it if I'm a night owl." Unless you've repeatedly commented with "dangit, I'm second to comment again!", then there's no need to assume I meant you. And even if you did, I don't really care. It was just an observation. Chill. :) And if someone gets irritated that I didn't tell them I voted for them just so they could thank me...there's at least one easy way to solve that problem. :)

aeires ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 12:01 AM

Actually I do both. If it's a good graphic worthy of the vote, I vote, comment and move on. If it's a really freakin' cool graphic like "Zulu Chief," I'll write vote in the comment section to let the artist know they've created something that is truly awe inspiring. I think it all comes down to personal preference. Some people label vote and others vote secretly. Each person is different, which makes the world a much better place. If someone gets irritated by having someone write vote, then it's a sure bet that there is someone that gets just as equally irritated that someone votes without letting them know (some people appreciate it so they can say "thanks"). Jeff PS. I've commented first several times. I don't "rush" to type, it's as simple as me sitting in front of the computer when someone posts a work that I like (duh). You don't actually believe there are people sitting there refreshing their screen just so they can "rush to be first" do you?

IndigoSplash ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 12:04 AM

Hmmm...seems the post I responded to magically disappeared. Gremlins in the gallery? Oh well. Peace, love, and global brotherhood/sisterhood. TTFN

IndigoSplash ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 12:17 AM

Whoop there it is... "PS. I've commented first several times. I don't "rush" to type, it's as simple as me sitting in front of the computer when someone posts a work that I like (duh). You don't actually believe there are people sitting there refreshing their screen just so they can "rush to be first" do you?" Since you edited your original post, I'll edit part of my response: I hope people aren't sitting there refreshing their screens. I'd feel really bad for them. If they are, then they have it rough enough without being picked on by me or anyone else. Those people can ignore my post (if they exist.) The idea of that makes me sad. Thanks for the "duh" btw. Haven't gotten a "duh" since high school. You're making me glad my birthday is coming up and I'm getting old and closer to death. Thanks! :)

aeires ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 12:43 AM

Didn't take it personnaly. I noticed there is a group of people like myself who post at midnight just to get it over with and know they don't have to do it in the morning. Seeing that "we" are all posting at midnight, then why not take an extra few minutes and check each others work out before calling it a day. This mentality causes these people to often have the first comment. Had to write that because it sounded so silly reading it. I'd hate to think there was a group of "refreshers" also. I'd like to think that the people here are using their time wisely to hone their skills. "Duh." Sorry, I'm a throwback from old school. Starting to gray myself. :(

verlughmina ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 2:20 PM

ahhhh now i see what you mean ... you're wondering if someone wants the favor returned. I am pretty snazzy in my ability to read others usually but this thought slipped by me because i didn't think of it. I guess you would need to try and get rid of any kind of 'feeling of obligation' to anyone who may be doing that but that lies with you, not the voter. See I think it would SUCK if people voted on my images only because I voted on theirs. It would be doing me a great disservice if it really didn't stand on its own merit, my art... I personally do not care about the hot 20 and rarely look, except to see if there are any images I've missed, once in a while. I guess what I'm saying is that each person has his/her own reasons and its up to the artist his/herself to decide on how to feel about it in general because if you worry about people being dishonest, what good will it do to ask 'hey are you dishonest'? You wouldn't believe them anyway right? hahaha (((hug))) looking for you in chat. V

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2004 at 5:08 AM

lol most votes are 'kissing-butts' votes, i have seen pics in the hot20 which had a lot of designing mistakes... if the design is unique and awesome, and the finishing touch is perfect, then it deserves to get in the hot20 ... but i personally don't really care much about it ... i check in there often to see if someone accidently voted for mine LOL ... i know some are always in there every day, and i wonder if some ppl take it for granted ... wish some ppl would really be honest with their comments, rating and voting have a nice day smile Harmen

verlughmina ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2004 at 9:16 AM

High five Harmen. I like that the hot 20 exists for sure, but I don't place too much importance in it. HAHAHA I know what you mean about 'accidentally' voting, I feel the same way if someone votes on mine. We're just typical artists, I think. v

TomWilcox ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2004 at 7:45 PM

Point 1.) I don't explain my actions to anyone! Unless I choose to. It's nobody elses business! Point 2.) People that place their art on the internet don't create art only for themselves! Tom Wilcox

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2004 at 12:24 AM

Regarding point 2...I do, I always have and I always will. If I was creating art for other people then I would still be making the stuff I was doing a year ago. It was a lot more popular (still is) than the things I do now... Just because I choose to post what I make on the internet doesn't mean I am making it for anyone else...It just means i'm willing to let people SEE what I made for myself. Matt.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.