Thu, Oct 3, 8:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: P5 bug??

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:15 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 8:26 AM

file_101934.jpg

Hi I try to simulate waves with animated displacement maps bump maps and reflection node to finish my P5 Universe project.. What I got? yes nice dynamic waves in animations but one problem.. when using bump maps together with displacement maps and reflection node the "water" start to be transparent.. I tested with ground and sguares and nothing help.. or you have to use bump or only displacement maps other no way to use them together.. this is well important because using displacement maps the waves get a real effect more that only with bump maps.. after 2 weeks I am up..

the image above was done using only animated bump maps with reflection node if I plug the displacement maps the water don't reflect the temple props.. well the sky and the ground and everything what is bellow the scene was visible..
also sometimes when you use displacement maps on the props or figures the reflection don't works right, they just reflect in a wrong way the displacement maps.. Cath

"Surrender to what it is - Let go of what was - Have faith in what will be "

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:38 AM

file_101935.jpg

here again image number 1 the test scene 2: the rendered scene using displacemet and bump maps with reflection node, the ground reflect nothing it get transparent and show only everything what is bellow the "water"" ground 3: image, the ground reflect in right way everything above the water but I used only animated bump maps with reflection without displacement maps. 4: image again show only that the ground get transparent and don't reflect anything.. because of the 2 maps together..

I try everything and it will not working

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:48 AM

file_101936.jpg

so I figured out that displacement maps together with bump maps and reflection node create sort of Refraction effect, it render well very fast and faster that the real Refraction node but it is wrong way.. I hope CL get deeper into it and fix it by the next patch.. very important I think.

and btw.... now I tested only the displacement maps with the reflection node pluget into the ground surface and it don't work too.. the displacement map are just not correct again.. after the inverted shaders are fixed now we have another problem.

Cath

P.S Image above : displacement maps with reflection node change the surface to transparent.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 7:56 AM

Hmm I'm not sure it's wrong really. I mean... water IS transparent, right? It looks COOL btw :D

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 8:06 AM

thanks ernyoka1 :)) but, in nature it is not wrong but don't forget that it don't reflect correct and that is the most problem here.. but imagine now, you wish to add displacement maps to the clothing and make it to reflect the world, what you will get? "water" cloth without reflections and transparent too?? hahahaa this is not only for the real world but also it don't allow us to use it in 100% I am sad. my idea can't be finished until it is fixed.. and I need it soon for my real worlds free packages.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:08 AM

Ah yes of course.I forgot that you could use it for other things than water #o.o# Why do you need both bump and displacement? I had the idea that displacement was simply a more "fullgrown" bump..

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:24 AM

file_101937.jpg

with displacement I can create the waves, bump maps was more for small effects of the surface and don't really change the geometry while rendering as displacement that can change total small plane to what you wish.. self to a city.. I figured out with animated bump maps how to get the ice water effect with little waves as well but still not what I plan do to.

see scene rendered in one minute using Poser5 only.. the textures are only for the animals tree and the terrain and sky the water effect is only bump map with reflection node scaled down for different effects.. the surface use also little diffuse color to get the light blurred and create more "ice" water effect and this works as well without post productions and very quick.. in animation test the "ic movement are very nice and the movement looks almost real.

I rework right now the whole universe prop to get bigger dimension and small polygons models to get the right speed of rendering not only animations..

cath

Jeff01 ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:38 AM

file_101938.jpg

Here's a quick test with bump, displacement, reflection, and no transparency. The reflections appear correct. If this is the final effect you're after, then let's compare settings to isolate the problem.

Jeff

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:48 AM

can you please try to do this using image maps and (or)movie nodes not the standart Poser5 3d textures. the problem what I get is with displacement movie node thanks cath

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:57 AM

file_101939.jpg

I know what was wrong.. I plug in a new movie node under displacement with Intel indeo video4.5 and the problem is gone :P it will not working with uncompressed video as I said before. problem solved.. sorry CL ;) it is good to have community :) and thank you Jeff for the idea to check everything one more time.. cath

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 11:55 AM

In the uncompressed video, remember that Poser always uses any background (esp. black) as an alpha channel.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 12:47 PM

This looks soooo cool... I can't WAIT to get it :D

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 2:59 PM

Looks nice Cath! I wondered what happened, I thought maybe you weren't feeling well. So now I will sit patiently and wait :) (Glad you weren't sick)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 4:24 PM

ynsaen, I know about.. I speak about bump and displacement maps.. btw I am back where I started there is well a bug in poser5 I just forgot to check the displacement box while rendering the last test so this working not correct as I was talking about before, but I figured it out with bump maps so not displacement maps needed for the water at all, and later it can fixed as well after CL did patch for it. Thank you ernyoka1 and Sallie, I was not sick at all but was and still is busy with 3D TV series that I am working on and got just extra work the last time.. btw in the free time I prepare also my toon characters so here was a twister the last day but well I am going to finish the new Universe because I think this project is unique and open for Poser5 new doors, epsecially after the terrain studio that is coming very soon by one of the member here it will a boom working together with this universe prop, now what we need is a poser5 tree generator and we can forget about vue and bryce lol j/k I make the sky-ball more simple as it was, I mean more simple for the sky textures so you don't need to spend much time to create your own unique skies.. the universe will much bigger and with special diffuse color settings you will get excellent effects with water that will simulate the Depthcue effect a little bit.. just a illusion but well in 3D and fast very fast.. I need to figure out the mat files to quick change of the skies and the atmosphere but it will not big problem at all.. if you are interested watch out in the next days. thanks! cath

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 4:29 PM

I saw at your site that you were working on a TV series! How exciting! Looking forward to all your new creations, and now you have me curious about the terrain studio!

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 4:50 PM

yea yesterday was something about in national German TV news.. it get to be great thing..but much work on texturing and all the characters.. you know that one of the RS member working on it? the beta version is already in use so I think it will coming very soon, excellent job I must say.. I created my terrain not using this beta version but if this is official done it will a great tool for the universe for sure.. I saw many free trees generators too on the internet but I wish somebody to this for Poser too.. for now I use the hair as a grass as well and render very fast.

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 4:58 PM

I have used the hair room as grass before! For my trees and things I use ones I purchased from RDNA, They have some great looking ones over there :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:13 PM

file_101940.jpg

yea they are great but if I create a scene can't give it away :)) btw one of my next nice things will a real water effects for the scenes.. here one test from animated water and real chrome reflection.. models was just poser cubes.. excellent effect in animation.. I render the animation right now so here one of the frame.. it loks little frozen in still image but not when animated.. another amazing oportunity using animated bump maps.. no transparancy was used

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:18 PM

Cath you are amazing! I don't do animations, but now I wish I did!

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:28 PM

Sallie you don't have to do animation, plug just right bump maps under right node and let render your still scene it will alife from self.. I preapre here some nice little tutorials for materials and will upload it soon to my website so you can try out self in your work too.. I am well under the all reflections and animated bump maps it is so cool.. was dreaming about it for long time to use in poser now we can do it.. I see also that if you use the universe prop with just a photo of a room street or just a kitchen it create amazing reflection on the right surfaces.. so this looks real and not the same again.. you need the scene around the model to get it working as in real world.. I imagine that you can used also the light shaders image nodes with a photo.. it can create also amazing effects on the surface.. so much things to try out

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:42 PM

Cath you are giving poser a new exciting life! I can't wait for your tutorials to try out your ideas ;o)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:56 PM

thanks :)) it is really exciting ...enough years spended for human faces time for something new I think lol.. and here we are again with our new tool :))

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:33 PM

:) waiting patiently ;o)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:37 PM

Sallie I just finished animation with the liguid water effect it is a killer!!! will upload here after convertion...

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:41 PM

Cath for some reasons I can't view a lot of animations, I always get something about a codec or something :(

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 7:23 PM

Attached Link: save to your hard drive 1.2 Mb quick time movie

see this one.. it works just amazing.. animated bump maps + refract node this is Quick Time movie animation sorry the first was bad url

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 7:25 PM

file_101941.jpg

I changed the bump maps here to get more real effect of the water..

sandoppe ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:03 PM

That would also make a great looking icicle!

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:26 PM

Cath, took me all this time to download quicktimes so I could see your movie! All I can say is wow! That is some incredible looking water!

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

Puntomaus ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2004 at 6:51 PM

Attached Link: http://www.soulpix.de

Cath, do you know which german TV station will show Wings of Time? I've seen the images on your website and the textures are great. Did they use Vicky to create the main character?

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

Mec4D ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2004 at 6:59 PM

Thanks Sallie :)) Puntomaus I produce the all characters and textures for the TV series... the TV series are planed for RTL .. sorry can't tell me more about the details.. I am under agreement :)) The series are rendered using Studio Max and all characters are created under character studio. 2 days ago there was something in the TV RTL2 News about too but I don't saw it. Cath

Puntomaus ( ) posted Sat, 13 March 2004 at 6:22 AM

I understand that you cannot say much about the project at the moment. I am looking forward to see it on TV :-). And yay, so cool that it's on german TV and I then can say 'hey, I know who made the characters' ... :-).

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 13 March 2004 at 7:25 AM

Which channel? I can see some german channels (ARD, ZDF and N3 - and RTL) and I'd love to see it too :oD

Mec4D ( ) posted Sat, 13 March 2004 at 9:16 AM

Thanks :)) I will let you know when it is up.. the first projects go to RTL german channel.. I think this summer a very beautiful story , exotic and magic.. with the best technology of movements, expression and real actors voice cover.. if I good remember there will a 27 movies for the whole serie.

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 3:41 PM

AKmaterialroombookmark

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.