Sat, Oct 5, 10:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 9:59 am)

Subject: DAZ buys Bryce....ROFLIMAO

Armorbeast ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:22 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 8:26 AM

Ok guys,have heard this from several people over the past few hours and they all seem to be getting the info from different sources.It appears DAZ has purchased Bryce and if so the question is why.I don't have Bryce but was seriously thinking about getting it before recent events in my life put a hold on that...Bryce does indeed seem to me to be a great product and from what my Bryce friends have said,the company wasn't doing so hot lately.

What to me is funny is that DAZ purchased Bryce...after all they've been bragging so much about DAZ Render being the future and every reviewer so far basically has declared it completely flawed.So,I wouldn't be surprised to see them gut Bryce for its software and incorporate it into DAZ Render to save their biggest project...what will be interesting is to see how they do it as they always like cat and mouse games to explain what they're doing.

Will it be a good business decision for everyone involved???Who can tell,I'll stick with Poser and if I get Bryce it'll be Bryce 5 or something currently on the market me thinks:)

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 00:29

If the end goal of learning is genius...why are most geniuses failures at learning?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:50 AM

On the other hand.. if it means that Bryce will stay alive AND have support for Poser/Daz Studio characters (possibly the latter, they NEED something to make people buy special DS characters instead of the Poser versions), it's not that bad. I haven't used Bryce for ages, but after all it was my very first brush with the 3D world and it's still in many ways a cool program. Sure Vue has it's advantages, mostly the PZ3 import option, which is cool, but if Bryce got something similar... well... Oh and I happen to like the metacreations/Kai Krause interface, which also makes Bryce much easier to use than Vue, at least for me :o) It's not the cure for cancer, but it's not bad news either :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:06 AM

Well, in all fairness, this is a pretty big announcement. Bryce, Poser, Canoma, and what is now Carrara all started in the same place, and there was much to do about bringing them together, and this very forum and many of the others owe their existence to Bryce. Today, yes, it can be pretty underwhelming. It is an "old" program that lacks a ton of the features it's comeptitors now have. It's languished in development hell forever, pretty much forgotten by the owners who have abandoned the users that made it the number one software of it's kind. oh, wait, that's Poser... Nm. There's long been a dream among the older folks of combining Bryce and Poser. The two programs have very loyal users and can achieve incredible effects. The Bryce materials room is pretty damned incredible in what it can create. It was one of the first programs to offer procedural texturing, and it revolutionized much of the way folks looked at 3D art by itself. The two programs have very complimentary features, as well, so it really has been a sort of "dream match" to have them interchangeable. There is little question that Vue generates better plants and with Mover it has the ability that Bryce lacks (developed, in fact, specifically to give it that ability) of complete scene movement. Bryce's animation capabilities are actually pretty good when you get into using it -- but they are a bit cumbersome, and Bryce does not have bones. Terragen is a better overall terrain system, and it comes closest to the texturing capabilities of Bryce. Lastly, ever since Corel released Bryce 5 and found out they hadn't quite done what they needed to do to it (which was essentially finish up work done before they acquired it) to make it competitive, it has sat there. Dead. So the hope, of course, really is that it will return Bryce to its one time glory. And if they do merge the two apps, then things will get even more interesting. But this does require faith in DAZ as a company. Faith which I, for one, find myself lacking in the proper quantity. I don't think DAZ is the Poser equivalent of the Evil Empire (there is one, but I shan't name it :P ), but neither do I think they are all sweetness and light. They will announce it tomorrow. Let's see where they go with it. (Not what they say, mind you, but rather, what they do.)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:09 AM

And ernyoka, I like the interface myself. What's really interesting is that this does give DAZ the rights to use it. Those are some mighty powerful rights when you are creating a competing program to Poser -- can you say "look alike"?

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

SndCastie ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:25 AM

I myself still use Bryce and hope this is true. We as Brycer's have been wishing someone would come along and buy it and take it further. If Daz can then more power to them. I started out with Bryce and have stuck with it and am a loyal user. I love Poser too so if they can combine the two I for one will be on cloud nine :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:45 AM

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:17 AM

Christ on a bike. That's it? A 3D company who makes an app I don't use buys another app I don't use? Wow. Holy smoke. Jings. Criminy. I thought this was going to be something we'd all be "delighted" by. Dunno about anyone else but I couldn't give a monkey's.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:20 AM

For poser figures to work in bryce PROPERLY they would need to make some major changes for bryce 6. I have been saying for years that if bryce had better 3d animation capabilities (using morphs and maybe looping motions like in lightwave) it would be a much better program. I like the bryce and poser interface too, though I prefer the poser one. The bryce materials room is quite good but the poser 5 material room is much better IMO.

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:33 AM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:35 AM

Well I am thrilled if DAZ can bring Bryce back from the dead. I am hoping for the best. Being able to import poser content (without plugins or Mover apps) would be fantastic.

Bryce needs some updating, yes, and we can only hope that DAZ will do this program right. (poser file format import/export, updated renderer) Bryce is rock solid otherwise and never crashes my machine.

I have Bryce 5 and will definately upgrade to Bryce 6 or Daz Bryce or whatever they plan to call it.

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 03:35

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

Philywebrider ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 4:51 AM

Rather than just accquiring another software package, I think Daz may be dividing the company, splitting DAZ studio or any other software. plug-in's, etc from "content".

deci6el ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 5:14 AM

I agree with the branch of this thread that points to the idea that the big deal isn't that Daz will own Bryce and there will be a new tiny logo in the corner but... that if they own the software could incorporate the render engine (which I was always happy with) and allow us to put moving Daz people into those environments which was always lacking. I walked away from using Bryce two years ago so I could learn Lightwave. I would prefer a faster way of getting my Daz people in that environment. But we shall see.

Phantast ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 7:14 AM

Importing Poser content into Bryce is pretty easy already. What you can't do is repose the figure after you've imported and textured it. Now, if Daz enable you to do THAT, it will be very interesting. People get the wrong idea about Bryce - it may be positioned as a landscape creator, but its greatest strength is as a general purpose tool for laying out and rendering a scene - any sort of scene. Building a complex interior and then navigating around inside it is much easier in Bryce than in any other program I've used - much easier than Vue, for instance.

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 7:56 AM

I'll second that, Phantast -- in fact, I'll commend you for it. Bryce is an awesome layout tool -- it has the "scale" that is often simply lacking in Poser (not to mention the point light I love so dearly). I had forgotten how many of my "long shots" I compose in it and then let it idle away on another box while I do the cut scenes in Poser.

mikeberg ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:57 AM

Poser with Bryce with be the best duo.
When I had to decide between Bryce & Vue, I bought Bryce because there was no bug in it.(Vue is a great program but with the bugs due exclusively because of their famous anti-pirating system).
With Daz, (may be Bryce 7) we won't need any plugin like Mover and we will be allowed to do animation with Daz characters like Lightwave or 3D Studio Max. I'm very happy this morning.
Michel

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:05 AM

Bryce was literally my first 3D program (version2) its good that its found a new home but as a character animator this means very little to me. the reason I moved on to other programs was bryce tortureously Slow render engine. I have no desire to wait 50+ hours for a 28 second animation sequence as i did back when i was an avid bryce user. if DAZ creates a plugin that allows direct import of DAZ content that will nice for bryce users. BUTif they dont address that ultra slow non adaptive ancient raytracer, I dont see the point.

My website

YouTube Channel

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:13 AM

"Poser with Bryce with be the best duo." What? Somehow I don't think Poser features too much in DAZ's plans.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

mickmca ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:14 AM

Not to rain on the rather subdued parade, but DAZ acquiring Bryce does NOTHING for Poser users. It's for D|S, folks. At the risk of another round of being called Cassandra, I promise you that before long, DAZ will have turned its back, so reluctantly and politely, on the Poser community it no longer "needs." Suicidal? Sure. But try to tell them that. It's not a guarantee, it's a promise. Rilly. M

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:03 AM

That could be interesting, Mick. What DAZ has really managed is to win by marketing. If they toss the Poser market to a low priority, that could open the door for the content creators who just aren't making enough to justify quitting their dayjob. Hopefully it won't come to that...although e-frontier might just have a window of opportunity, if =they= can line up some serious talent for content. Things do look like they are getting interesting....

Caly ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:34 AM

With Bryce Daz is opening up another content market. This could get rather interesting actually.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Kristta ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:37 AM

I love Bryce (Bryce 4). I've been using it for a while. I've come up with some really good images by using the default stuff that came with the program. I hope they keep it alive and don't mess it up too much. Kristta

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:53 PM

yow..mebbe I should keep a lower profile..such hostility..;) At $79, Bryce is currently one of the cheapest good 3d landscape/texturing/animation packages for the buck, and currently costs less than some Poser models I've seen out there (things that make ya go 'hmmm'..;). If I could go in Poser, choose an area, and apply a material (out of hundreds) without either buying/downloading/uvmapping/acquiring somehow the texture to an area in it..I might see the logic. I can apply any material to any object exported out of Poser, so I don't have to make sure it can find 'x.jpg' in whatever folder it got stuck in..;)
I'm just really starting to play with Poser (what a good name for a website..;), so I can't speak to all of this..but remember folks, these are tools, there are those who will tell you you can do anything with a hammer, and some who will tell you all you need is a screwdriver..but I have both (packages and tools..;). Bryce is good at what it does, and Poser is good at what it does..and Daz will be good at whatever it does once it's released..;) no harm in having more than one..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

BekaVal ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:10 PM

Maybe Bryce came in handy because D|S needed a render engine? To me it seems too that DAZ has already abandoned the Poser users. They ignore P5 completely. Maybe they have information, that there will be no further Poser development and they see the future in D|S. Nothing against Bryce. I like it and would appreciate if would be further developed, but as mickma said, it is very unlikely that DAZ has in mind to make a newer/better Bryce.

mondoxjake ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:24 PM

I am going to compose this in Notepad and post....I did a lengthy post on the other thread concerning this subject and the damn thing didn't post.
Briefly hilighting that other post and the way I see things.....
Daz will quit supporting Poser once D|S is finally stable, I think we all already know this for a fact. We will be looking at the evolution of Daz Content versus Poser Content ... and does this mean we will have to purchase tons of new Vickies and Mikes if we decide to go with D|S? The content issues might have to be taken in hand by some of the third party creators with the capabilites of building from the base mesh up?
Poser 6 is going to have to address the issue of compatible content as a major consideration, and Daz is going to have to issue a version 6 of Bryce in order for it to attract the market they are seeking.
Too many of the principal players have lain dormant too long, and I can see them skipping some important steps in the evolutionary chain.

I can see this turning into a game of blindman tag...and I am personally going to guard my copy of Poser 4 with my life.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:36 PM

Mondoxjake if poser 6 is made to work with studio that will be okay as long as it also works with older versions of poser. If it doesnt, they might be losing thousands of poser customers. I think that the importance of daz with poser is overrated. I dont use many daz products and could happily do without them. Poser was here before daz and poser will be here far in the future when apes rule the earth.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:58 PM

"They ignore P5 completely. Maybe they have information, that there will be no further Poser development and they see the future in D|S."

Let's be honest... the only real reason to not support P5 for Daz is a political/marketing one and not technical.

For example it would be a trivial matter to create P5 shader set-ups to apply the Daz maps and textures to apply correctly for Firefly and look as good as they can. The changes are well known and take very little time but it woudl be a nice thing for them to have been included. Similarly it would be fairly trivial for some of the props and other items to come with Poser5 settings applied for materials.

That's something simple that could be done... even if they did not want to support dynamic cloth or dynamic hair.

I don't know what Daz's plans are for D|S and now Bryce - but it sure looks to me like they are moving away from the Poser application - and I don't know if they will make it worth forking in that direction.

BekaVal ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:03 PM

Yes, I'm too thinking, that they are moving away from Poser, soulhuntre. But they're not making me liking studio. If they move away, I will too.

dallas40m ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 5:41 PM

Anyone that has any questions about Bryce being useful as a tool to accent poser work should go back and look at Don Tatro's work. The majority of it is all rendered in Bryce. To have this wonderful tool updated to work more seemless with poser can only be a plus. (shakes head and walks away)

Warmest Regards,

Dallas

dallas40m ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 5:45 PM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 5:46 PM

PS: I only wish Don could have lived two more weeks to see this announcement. He and Creepy would have been tickled pink. (bows head and walks away)

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 17:46

Warmest Regards,

Dallas

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:57 PM

For all you jokers that are throwing around disinformation, misinformation and just plain balderdash, I say haul your virtual butts over to DAZ Bryce Talk forum and get the correct information

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:51 PM

Daz might not be moving away from poser yet, but when daz studio is fixed and made faster (if it ever will be) then will poser still be catered for? Someone said somewhere that daz don`t have enough staff to make poser things and daz studio stuff so I wonder which ones they will be most likely to drop? I agree with bekaval they are not making me like studio either (or bryce) and if they move away from poser then I will move away from daz.

Armorbeast ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:08 AM

The real issue with DAZ is how they're trying to become a driving force in this medium...this is quite different than becoming a monopoly.Vicky,Mike and Stephanie are indicators of this as so much in this industry is aimed at these character meshes...thus,DAZ is a driving force here because most people depend upon them simply to get started even if others may produce products for these characters.Time and again they have tried to force products onto the market just for sheer greed...we did not need a new Stephanie character for instance,every item made for her could just as easily have been made for V3 and morphs could even given us many of the characters and such now associated with this mesh.

The DAZ Platinum Club does offer great deals if you want some items in the club at a discount,but when I joined not one new product went into the club while I was a member and even after I left,very few new additions were made that I had any interest in at all...so why remain a member or rejoin if not for the freebies and such they have to overwhelm people with to get them to rejoin even for a month.To me it looks like a losing venture to give away over $500.00 worth of freebies to get someone to join for one month...they do stuff like that all the time because in truth,its been a bad proposition for them from day one.

DAZ render to me could be the one product that brings DAZ down,they have put so much into this product and they're desire to move away from poser is also driving this products development...unfortunately,no one likes the product that have tried it and the only praise they've really had are for the ideas behind it rather than what they'll actually be able to achieve with it.I don't know how many of you bought Sega's Dreamcast console gameplayer but there's a direct comparison here as Sega in the US is a software company who time and again tried to enter the hardware side of their biz with one failed gameplayer after another...in the end all Sega ever did was push their competition to put out even better hardware and because these companys were heavily invested in hardware as well,Sega kept falling behind.

So,now DAZ has Bryce...the only possible thing they can gain by purchasing Bryce is its software render technology as the product had already lost support from its manufacturer and other products now far outdo it in regards to performance.There really is nothing DAZ can do to improve Bryce as they aren't in this type of software development business...but even a lowly hack can strip Bryce of its components and integrate them into DAZ render once they have the exclusive rights to the product.If DAZ could truly compete in this field they would have already done it by now...I mean,look at all the animosity they have towards poser and yet virtually everything they produce is dependent on the product they hate most.There may be better products than Poser on the market...but DAZ render will never be that product and Bryce may now be officially a dead product if DAZ intends only to strip it of its software for DAZ render.

And let us not forget...Curious Labs has been talking about Poser 6 and there is always the possibility that all DAZ render will actually accomplish is to tell Curious Labs what they need to do to put out a superior product-and then like the Dreamcast,everyone who buys DAZ render or Bryce will be stuck with products that will lose all commercial support.DAZ cannot simply convert everything to DAZ render and away from Poser...poser is the driving force here,not DAZ and their resentment of that will only drive them into the ruin if they don't abandon this foolishness.

These are only my opinions...but well thought out by looking at other businesses that have tried to do what DAZ is doing and how most only meet with disaster.

If the end goal of learning is genius...why are most geniuses failures at learning?

Armorbeast ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:18 AM

I forgot to mention but you may find this to be true...Sixus1 is now in my opinion the site and product manufacturer to watch.True they have a rep for delving more into horror,but they are moving towards a more mainstream market now and many great people to work with them over there. I also see Odd Ditty Factory and other enterprising new ventures as promising ones...best of luck to all of these people:)

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:31 AM

"The real issue with DAZ is how they're trying to become a driving force in this medium " no. Ajax said it best in the "it's offical" thread, I believe. They are trying to become a driving force, but it's not the main issue. They want to become an Equal force -- which is a smart business move at this stage for them. The manner is sometimes annoying, but it is a smart business decision. You see, Poser folks are a great revenue stream, but they are not a growth business. So in order to grow (and companies must grow), they have to broaden their market appeal. There are at least twice as many active bryce users as Poser users out there. So, with this acquisition, Daz just doubled the number of folks that will come to it. That's a good thing. Does that mean they will suddenly make everything work with Bryce? no. Will they stop developing Poser content and only do D|S (which is DAZ | Studio, not DAZ Render) stuff? No. Simple reasons, too: they need the money still. The real poblem is that they are "DAZ". All the popular hacks for Poser -- ERC the most prominent one -- became popular because although they didn't innovate them, they did capitalize on them. That was forward thinking. That was pushing the envelope to bring the most creative products to market. Will they continue to do that for Poser? I don't think so. Based on statments like those surrounding the Mill horse, hiring decisions, and similar muck-ups on their part, it's apparent they won't. Which means if you want cool stuff from DAZ -- which is their reputation -- you'll have to switch to D|S. Which is free! Why the bitchin, you ungrateful nincompoops! To which the proper response is " you get what you pay for. " Free doesn't mean good. And, with DAZ, free means you gotta buy extra stuff to use it, lol. And, most importantly, you don't tell a bunch of artists what hey have to do. That's bad. Daz won't strip Bryce down. They may integrate it tighter with D|S -- but the same thing will happen with Shade and Poser. Wisdom shall tread twixt the two...

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:59 AM

ynsaen you say free isn`t good but there are plenty of poser figures and clothes for free that are very good, in fact at least as good as the daz stuff. Even some good programs are free. I am not sure that daz trying to become an equal force is such a good move for business. Daz studio is not too great and they are trying to compete with a program that has been going for years and is used and liked by a lot of people that is poser.

Armorbeast ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:52 AM

Well equal...to who??They are attempting to take on every possible field.Curious Labs isn't trying to become like rosity as they're not mass marketting products for their render engine.As for doubling the number of people...get real,there may be almost twice as many Bryce users but the tech has been eclipsed for some time now and most sites including DAZ offer almost nothing of real substance for Bryce users compared to poser...same is true for most products like Corel.Poser dominates...clear and simple. I'm sure people at Sega were convinced it was a great idea to branch out into hardware too...then after a half billion dollar loss they finally woke up and realised they never really understood what they were doing and shouldn't have done it (but took losing a half billion dollars to realise that mistake). Like Sega,DAZ is trying to go after Poser and compete...its not their field and all they can do is lose money and push Curious Labs into making a better product.Lol...all Sega did with Dreamcast was push Sony into making PS2 months or even years before they wanted-they released it so fast many of the early consoles were returned because of defects. The only thing you can say is that DAZ is either trying to dominate or be a driving force...but equal,can't be equal to the entire market ynsaen as no one else is trying to pursue such a broad agenda.Equal...not hardly,but driving force from the point of view of making you dependent on their products-yeah,they're trying their best there lol. As for free...DAZ render is only free because they want to get as many people using DAZ render as possible so that you will need all the add ons you have to pay for...thats been an open fact since the beginning.Problem is,most people who have tested it think its garbage and considering the Beta was worse than the Alpha...well,its obvious they made a huge mistake.I didn't mean to imply they're gonna strip Bryce of anything ynsaen...it'll remain exactly the same with absolutley no improvements or updates-but they will strip its technology for use in DAZ render and I think everyone knows that was the sole purpose for buying it. But before you make a generalization about free lol...I've bought stuff that turned out to be crud and have gotten freebies superior to the most expensive products-its why I love freebies including the ones you've released at RDNA m'lady:P

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 6:53 AM

Free doesn't mean good. Taanstafl still applies, but I'll stand by this indefinitely. Free does not mean good. It doesn't mean it's bad, either. Good means good, bad means bad, and free means read the fine print, err, I mean, free. There are bad free things, there are good free thins, and there are indifferent free things, but all are free -- which in and of itself does not mean that it is a good thing. This isn't a generalization, it's an absolute fact. I just double checked my dictionary to be sure. Curious Labs did, in fact, attempt to enter the market for content. There is a very good example of their failure at it this time present in Content Paradise. You underestimate the Power of Bryce... err, I mean, Bryce users have existed longer than Poser has, and for the bulk of Poser users, Bryce was used first. If your point of reference is rosity, DAZ, or PPros, then your worldview is a tad on the small side. Brycer's are a far more potent force than realized. The potential market there is easily as great as the current one for Poser. It's part of the reason that development for a certain company includes the conversion to native bryce format for all it's products, and this has, now that I think about it, ensured that it will happen sooner, not later. Whilst Bryce languished in the hands of Corel, creating content for it -- which had just started right before MC sold it off -- was not wise -- someone has to have a willingness to develop a product to continue to generate users. Bryce has been hurting a bit longer than Poser because of that. And there are some very substantial products intended primarily for Bryce right here in this marketplace, as well as a thriving freebies section. Seriously -- google the darned thing for a hint of an idea... Your marketplace definition is limited. Ultimately it's not us DAZ is courting -- us being people who already use Poser. They are courting them, meaning the people who don't know about what we do without funky little software programs and our bizarre unreal terms. They are seeking the people who do NOT have poser -- and there are a hell of a lot more of them them than there are of us. get enough of them, and you don't need to worry about us. You're talking biz plans (the failure of Sega is roundly considereed to be due to poor planning and worse execution), I'm talking economics and marketing. You're talking content versus hardware, I'm talking software versus software (beta or not, it's still moving forward, and while it's still a broke dog, they've called the vet). DAZ is developing a competing program that they intend to use as a reduction to the barriers of entry. They just acquired a whole new marketplace, and will, if my estimates are correct (and thus far have been) shortly be announcing (within the next 90 days or so) another marketplace. Both of these new ones are still in their infancies. Which is EXACTLY where DAZ was when Dan and crew bought themselves out of Zygote and became DAZ. They do know what the hell they are doing when it comes to creating new markets when everyone is laughing at them. In fact, Dan Farr is probably even more determined to do it after such things (he's that kinda guy). So don't snigger -- the reason this conversation is even being had to this degree is in good part becuase of DAZ's success in that area ;) Calling is DAZ Render, btw, isn't effective -- it makes it difficult for less perceptive minds to understand what you are talking about. It's DAZ|Studio. Let it be known by that, for the sake of clarity if nothing else. Now, I've come out several times before and noted things about the manner in which DAZ is acting. They have had people within it make statements that have been somewhat presumptive -- my most recent trigger was the whole milhorse debacle, for example -- and I'm going to re-itereate it once again because it's important to understand a couple things. 1 DAZ needs income while they finish staging. Poser Users are that income. 2 No successful company will ever intentionally destroy it's goodwill. We are that goodwill. DAZ has a cash cow in the form of the current base of Poser users. They Will Not Stop Making Poser Products In The Foreseeable Future. Just like this one little website that grew into this gigantic monstrosity of a mess, DAZ is based in Poser, and in Poser they will remain. That won't change until they have at least enough users using D|S format products as they currently have using poser format products -- and I don't mean through conversion, I mean in addition to. I'm talking doubling what they have now. And even then, ya know, I doubt it will change. Cause why, when it's a "gimme"? Dan Farr and Chris Creek might be a lot of things, but stupid ain't one of them. However, will we ever see a Vicki that has a different joint set up to improve the way she bends? Will we see Daz products developed that continue to popularize the innovations constantly arising from the community? Will we see DAZ continue to lead in bringing these innovations to market as they have done before? Me, I don't believe so. I believe that the primary products lines will stale as they apply to Poser because the corporate focus on development will be towards the in-house program -- which, again, is wise business use of assets. Will they leave the community? No. They won't. Will they drive a wedge? Maybe -- that's actually more up to the community (we tend to take sides here, when there is no need to do so) than it is to them. For now, though, I'm off to see what mischief I can cause -- I'll betcha Carolly and Sho are wondering what the hell I'm up to...

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 6:53 AM

It took so long to reply 'cause I had to sleep and then write the darn thing twice, lol

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:00 AM

"... we did not need a new Stephanie character for instance, every item made for her could just as easily have been made for V3 and morphs could even given us many of the characters and such now associated with this mesh." That is my feeling entirely.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 10:11 AM

Regarding Stephanie .. That si true but then she wouldn't be petite. She would look just like V3 pretty much .. You can't just scale her down and make her look like SP3 does You cna scale body parts but then clothes don't fit etc.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 11:24 AM

"For all you jokers that are throwing around disinformation, misinformation and just plain balderdash, I say haul your virtual butts over to DAZ Bryce Talk forum and get the correct information"

What disinformation or balderdash have you seen? It is a clear fact that Daz has not supported the features of Poser5 and the current requirement for Bryce to import from D|S instead of poser files directly is continuing that trend. It is also clear that Daz will be releasing content that is better suited for D|S than it is for Poser.

Let me know when you see anything untrue with either of those statements.

"To have this wonderful tool updated to work more seemless with poser can only be a plus. (shakes head and walks away)"

It is a huge plus, especially for those who do not have a advanced rendering engine already. Those with Poser5 or Vue or another package with a modern render back end may not see as many benefits. There's no problem with that.

"They are seeking the people who do NOT have poser -- and there are a hell of a lot more of them them than there are of us. get enough of them, and you don't need to worry about us."

I agree. I have always said that Daz has a HUGE market potential in the larger 3D universe. I just don't really see the Bryce purchase as a move in that direction. Bryce has no more of the pro level abilities and/or respect than Poser does. Daz has brought to themselves a huge new market - but it is a lateral move, not a forward one. No combination of Poser + Bryce + D|S will result in a tool taken seriously in the pro level market without massive updates to the core technology in Bryce.

"You can't just scale her down and make her look like SP3 does You cna scale body parts but then clothes don't fit etc. "

It's too bad Daz never supported the Poser5 cloth dynamics - this would have been a non issue now and their market share would have increased. I would gladly pay 30$ for a item of clothing that was well made and fit all my figures... more in fact. But to pay $30 for items that won't fit if I morph and only work on one character? Not any more.

mikeberg ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 11:59 AM

Why are so many of us afraid of Daz Bryce ?
Bryce had no future with Corel and, of course, I'm also a Bryce user.
Bryce will now have one. I'm very happy that Curious Lab has now a competitor, it will force them to make a better Poser version 6. Poser 5 had so many bugs that I did not upgrade, I'm still with Poser Pro Pack.
Let Daz a chance to hear what we want in Bryce 6 in their forum. And be positive.
Excuse my english.
Michel

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 3:16 PM

mikeberg a lot of the poser 5 bugs have been fixed with the sr4 and previous sevice releases. Some of the older poser 5 "scare stories" don`t apply anymore because of the fixes. Bryce 6 could be a very good program.

Armorbeast ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:23 PM

Well no one is afraid of DAZ Bryce and in regards to software vs software m'lady ynsaen...DAZ isn't in the field of producing this type of technology.The point I made about Sega is that people kept warning that they shouldn't do it because they didn't know what they were doing (and several failed game consoles were proof lol)...in the end,it was we who bought that damned Dreamcast and everything that came with it that got screwed when they stopped supporting it-the trick is that if this doesn't work for DAZ they will cut their losses just like Sega and it is we who buy this garbage from them that will lose what we've invested in. By your own admission DAZ has made many mistakes and I dare say that these mistakes are becoming all too commonplace over there.You can speak of Dan Farr til you're blue in the face but he's not the one making these mistakes...its the people he's employing,not replacing and obviously not supervising as DAZ truly had a name worthy of respect until recently.Say what praise you will of Dan,but when the head of a company chooses to hand his thinking over to someone else...then he alone is 100% responsible for every mistake these other people make.Dan is not the issue here,he could be the worlds leading genius in this field...but when you step back and allow others to ruin your good name then you have only yourself to blame. I haven't been in poserland as long as some of you and I may not have the knowledge base that ynsaen has to call upon...but I am almost never wrong when it comes from a "consumers" viewpoint and thats the one element ynsaen has not figured into this.People know DAZ which is why they're skeptical...people know DAZ which is why they think they're greedy...people know DAZ which is why they think they're incompetent!!Most don't even know who Dan Farro is m'lady so you can speak his merits all you like and lose on every point you make in his regard. Will DAZ advance or improve Bryce?Do they have the personel for the job is question one and when you look at the failure of Studio the "consumer" view is no they don't...funny thing,thats also the opinion of programmers and people who look at DAZ's business structure.Like Corel,DAZ is focused on Studio as their future...not Bryce.As for Bryce sites,I have visited a lot of them ynsaen and they do speak of stronger support for Bryce in the past...but thats the past in much the same way Sony is eclipsing Nintendo in the gaming field and Microsoft will eclipse them both once it develops a stronghold in Japan. Bryce at one time may have generated strong revenue,but its poser thats driving the industry now until something better comes along...and no thats not based just on a limited pov of only being familiar with a few poser sites either. Me and you have had some rowdy conversations before ynsaen...you know more from the pov of your existing knowledge base-but you often allow that knowledge to cloud common sense issues that in the end generally win the day.If DAZ doesn't like being seen as incompetent and greedy,then its time to clean house and begin a pr campaign to improve their rep.Its the common view of a consumer thats paramount and talking about Dan Farr and Chris Creek when most don't have the foggiest idea who they are won't make any impressions that you know what you're talking about.Its like here on rosity,almost no one knows who owns the place or who makes the decisions...go to RDNA or Poser Pros and you find that almost everyone does because the owners and decision makers are very active in their sites. As for knowledge...a quick jab...you do know all you have to do is copy your comment so that if it doesn't take you can just paste it back in and hit post reply right?You'd be surprised how many don't realise that you time out on long replys and have to start over...its knowing whats going on so you don't make mistakes and have to correct yourself or create unnecessary hardships like rewriting a long comment-DAZ doesn't know what its doing either which is why its making mistakes! Its also a mistake to believe Bryce is in good hands at DAZ,they did so little for it before when there was money to be made...why think they have any objective now to suddenly change things because they bought it??Studio is their baby...the only hope Bryce users truly have is that DAZ abandons Studio and maybe incorporates some of the developments they have achieved with Studio into Bryce-that would be the intelligent thing to do but who said DAZ was intelligent.Bryce has a name,it has built in support and DAZ Studio so far has generated nothing but negative criticism...would be a common sense thing to do especially since even many poser users loved the idea of a Poser Bryce combo--but again,would take sound business thinking to do that and DAZ is somewhat bereft there:P Lets just hope enough smart ass comments like mine might motivate them-support them and you're guaranteed they'll screw things up because they think they know what they're doing and don't!Get on their ass big time,call them names,point out every mistake...even ridicule them if need be but don't just accept what they're doing or they think you approve! And as for Steph...she's not so dramatically different than V3 in any case and a good morph master can get very close to everything that she entails!I also call your attention again to Sixus 1 as they're on the move and they "give" you their base characters for free in some cases...its what comes with them that they make money from and Steph truly falls into such a catagory-she would be so much more popular as a freebie and so much more would be made for her because more people would have her and demand products to fit her-DAZ doesn't think like that!!

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 5:40 PM

What I was saying that the shape changes for Steph entail new wardrobes because you simply can scale to fit, when you do that Poser joints mess up all over the place. Sure you could do the head but confilicting joints when you sacle parts to get shorter limbs really have trouble in general.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 12:30 AM

Well, I'm just happy to get Bryce5 for less than 40$. Old or not, Bryce is STILL cool at what it does - just like Poser 4, I believe those 2 programs (Bryce 4 that is) are about the same age? I know I got Bryce 4 way back when, and shortly after got Poser 4. But I too started my ventures into 3D with Bryce. That Daz made an importer for Bryce the second they lay hands on it suggest to me that they're NOT going to let it die. Why should they? That would be a waste of money. And frankly I don't care if I have to pull my pz3 thru stooooodio first. After all, Studio is FREE, remember? It's an extra step, but as I understand it, only as long as CL (or whoever owns Poser at the moment) make a plugin to make direct Poser - Bryce import possible. As I bought Bryce late last night I haven't really tried it yet, but from what I saw it was better than ever. That tree lab looked promising :oD and I FAR prefer Bryce's interface to Vue's.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 12:56 AM

Ernyoka -- you'll love the treelab, hon :) Steph is different enough from V3 that she is a different figure. The only thing they have in common is the base mesh used to create them and the UVMapping. The point of the statement, however, was that ultimately, since it is the same mesh, the Steph figure is effectively a morph of the original, and that the price paid is considered excessive. It's a point of differentiation on marketing, not capabilities. "DAZ isn't in the field of producing this type of technology" actually, they have been for some time. The first program they acquired was Mimic. I still have the orgiinal version. They've not only improved it, they've completely remade the application. That's pretty damned good. This addresses other elements as well. You make a point of indicating that folks don't know who it is behind DAZ. Which means that people are making estimations based on incomplete data. If you don't know who is doing something, and you don't have a basic knowledge of them as individuals, you cannot effectively address the issues that surround them. DAZ isn't going to be much larger than 25 people tops, hon. Maybe 30 if they have a really good year this year. It's not even a decade old as a company. It's still VERY much driven by the prinicipals. That's still a larger company than Curious Labs, however. They do have the manpower to do what they describe, and overall, while they have made some verbal errors (they are people as well, and the Poser community tends to be a bit, um, nasty), they have yet to make any really serious business ones. Seriously. Find a poor business decision. Not an Opinon of a poor decision, but one in actuality -- ie, it cost them greatly. Single product "problems" like sr's for figures do not qualify as poor business decisions. Just poor design of the figure. ;) "The point I made about Sega is that people kept warning that they shouldn't do it because they didn't know what they were doing (and several failed game consoles were proof lol)...in the end,it was we who bought that damned Dreamcast and everything that came with it that got screwed when they stopped supporting it-the trick is that if this doesn't work for DAZ they will cut their losses just like Sega and it is we who buy this garbage from them that will lose what we've invested in." This is a risk of being consumers. Circular, AB, circular... shame shame (lol) "People know DAZ which is why they're skeptical...people know DAZ which is why they think they're greedy...people know DAZ which is why they think they're incompetent!!" no. They percieve DAZ that way. Knowledge of DAZ requires working for them. The public perception argument isn't valid -- malcontents exist for every business. DAZ still sells in one day more products than all the other major content providers combined. That's an enormous amount of clout, and until that perception reaches a critical mass that's great enough to affect those sales, it's negligible. "Lets just hope enough smart ass comments like mine might motivate them-support them and you're guaranteed they'll screw things up because they think they know what they're doing and don't!Get on their ass big time,call them names,point out every mistake...even ridicule them if need be but don't just accept what they're doing or they think you approve!" Good rallying cry ;) Strong touch of populist "stick it to the Man". I like it. a bit too pessimistic for me, but still very good.

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:30 AM

The tree lab is one of the better parts of bryce.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.