Fri, Jul 12, 12:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 11 1:35 pm)

Subject: Seeking hats, esp. a deerstalker

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 7:34 AM · edited Wed, 03 July 2024 at 10:16 AM

There used to be a site, I'm sure, which had tons of hats on it for free but, well, frankly it's lost to me. Anyone know of such a site or, more importantly, where I can pick up a 3d deerstalker? Cheers, Cliff

TygerCub ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 7:46 AM

Which character are you trying to fit?

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:04 AM

file_116006.jpg

Well - to be honest... One of The Heavies from DAZ/3D Universe :) Fitting isn't likely to be a major problem, that's a lot easier for something like a hat than doing the modelling. Whether I'll ever manage a coat and/or cloak is another matter, but I'm hoping to pull of a "Sherlock Holmes" look with the minimum of clothing & props. Cheers, Cliff

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:19 AM

Attached Link: http://www.greylight.com

greylight had a few hats, but they're for earlier versions of Poser..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TygerCub ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:36 AM

file_116007.jpg

I don't have the heavies, but just made a quickie hat. Will this do?

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:38 AM

Many MANY thanks pakled - although sadly there is no deerstalker there, that is EXACTLY the site I'd lost. What's better, I found a bowler and a pith helmet, both wanted for other "looks" I wish to achieve. Nothing wrong with props for older versions of Poser, most work just fine with Poser 4 & 5 :) Cheers, Cliff

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:41 AM · edited Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:48 AM

Tygercub that looks super! You just threw that and a quickie texture together eh? Cliff edit for PS I've not found it TERRIBLY easy to get wonderful reference images on the net, but some at: https://www.ssl1.fptoday.com/sherlock-holmes/shop/shopview1.html Suggest that the 2 side flaps tie together at the top of the hat. I must admit to particularly liking the new "bust" that they have (under "collectibles") and there's a rather fetching silhoette that clearly indicated some kind of tied knot atop the item. Cheers again, Cliff

Message edited on: 07/11/2004 08:48

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:52 AM

There's another interesting look at a deerstalker at: http://www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/images/livanov.jpg Although one can't see the tie-ing mechanism, it suggest somewhat broader "earflaps" and suggests at, well to be frank more detail than I need for a hat I'd need for a toon! Cheers, Cliff

TygerCub ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 9:40 AM

Posted the quickie hat to freestuff. Modify it as needed to fit your character. Looks like he'll be fun to see when it's completed! Please do let us see the final product.

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 9:57 AM · edited Sun, 11 July 2004 at 10:00 AM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5351&start=0

Many, many thanks. I'll pop along and pick it up.

It's actually for/towards a joint "community animation project" over at the DAZ3D forums. There's actually a bunch of threads on the subject but the main discussion is at http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5351&start=0 . We're working on it slowly (community projects take some managing and the availablity of time fluctuates) but surely :)

Cheers,

Cliff PS for edit: Oops, I forgot that Renderosity freestuff takes a while to make it through nowadays - I'll be sure to check for it regularly. If you haven't included a readme with details, please do let me know how to credit you.

Message edited on: 07/11/2004 10:00

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 1:03 PM

That's a real spiffing hat TygerCub, I'm sure Sherlock Holmes would be proud. 8)

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 1:36 PM

That's also a real nice Holmes face. Think of making that avail?

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 4:59 PM

actually, the Sherlock Holmes deerstalker bit was started by a turn-of-the-century actor who sort of set the expectation..not sure what the original Holems 'wore'..been to 221b Baker Street though...tiny, but interesting..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Byrdie ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 5:28 PM

Nice Holmes! The nose, is that a custom morph or just a dial spin? And please, do consider making it available; I'm sure a lot of folks could use it.

who3d ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 5:28 PM

Not QUITE accurate - Holmes sometimes wore a deerstalker in the original illustrations in The Strand. But no more often than any other type of hat (for example, he wore a bowler about as often). The thespian who trod the floorboards as Holmes arguably started the process of iconifying Homes as a deerstalker-wearer, but certainly didn't introduce him to the headpiece. Cheers, Cliff

who3d ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 8:20 AM

file_116009.jpg

Many thanks to Tygercub for enabling me to realise the Sherlock character this far - I think the deerstalker works superbly with even less messing about than I'd imagined.

I think I'm going to try and "get away" with not using a cloack in order to save all sorts of posing/animating issues, but I may try and replace the violin with a pipe. Before anyone wonders, I think the pipe is going to be a PITA to "get right" because of the trunk and tusks, so as it's basically a bent cone I may well try it myself. Umm :)

Cheers,

Cliff

TygerCub ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 2:57 PM

I've not done conforming clothes before, but couldn't you get away with just the collar section of the cloak on a fellow that large? The rest can be textured in.

who3d ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 3:20 PM

Nah. Conforming clothing has several deficiencies, and cloaks fall into the same arena as long skirts, dresses and the like - can be tricky to get to pose/animate right. Takes someone with more time & skill than I've got to hand to produce a workable Sherlock Holmes cloak for the elephant Heavies. I reckon. Cheers, Cliff BTW - toon pony. Are there "split vetrtices" on the model? (i.e. vertices at or nearly at the same position but actually different points). This could easily cause the mesh to pull apart when posed? (not had a chance to look yet).

queri ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 4:33 PM

Rdna "pioneer" dusters have a capelet that looks just like sherlock's. Capes, in my experience are not too hard to mix and match if you aren't too picky about the back side. Emily

who3d ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 5:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=618227

Hmmm...the duster minicapes? Interesting idea but the cape I tend to think of is perhaps simpler abd longer - goes to below the elbows.

Overall I think it relies on the coat beneath it to pull off the look, and is overall "too fussy" for the simplified toon look I'm aiming at :(

(I can imagine a nightmare of posing issues, especially animating - see link). Of course, if anyone can pull off an animateable cape for the heavies that doesn't get in the way - please prove me wrong!

Cheers,

Cliff

TygerCub ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:00 AM

Sherlock is quite wonderful! And such a wonderful "unfortunate nose". Ha! I'm a big Holmes fan and love what you're doing with the character. I've this image in my head of the type of "cloak" that could be used that would look just fine on the big guy, but I don't have the heavies (cute, but not my cup of tea) so can't model it. I'll pull together some sketchs and post em. Can you post an "outline" shot of the model so I could see where the groups are?

TygerCub ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:13 AM

file_116010.jpg

Here's the idea. The "cape" is really an raised portion of the coat with an oversized stand-up collar that gives the impression of an Inverness Cape style coat, without the problem with posing. The cuffs would be oversized and probably take up a large part of the "forearm", but with cartoon figures, this is normal. Would something like that work?

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:37 AM

Wow - cape's a bit short but WITH the coat it'd work. Certainly I'll produce anything I can to help your thoughts short of breaking copyright. LKet me go see what I can render up. Back in a bit, Cliff

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:41 AM

file_116011.jpg

Fron the front...

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:45 AM · edited Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:48 AM

file_116012.jpg

From the side. Note that while I could probably put together a simple cape, I haven't had the time to develop the skills that'd allow me to do a complete item of clothing like a jacket - it's just beyond me effectively. My workflow would suck so badly on it that it'd take weeks to get something I could live with.

Anyone up to the challenge of creating TygerCub's design? I appreciate that the cloak is somewhat shorter but it works terribly well, IMHO, WITH the jacket. NOTE that if I "Restore Figure" the feet move down and the legs straighten, but otherwise the "default pose" (the one he loads into Poser at) appears to be the same as the "remembered" default pose. If that makes sense. Cheers, Cliff

Message edited on: 07/13/2004 05:48

DdraigGraphics ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 6:16 AM

This is amazing, many thanks TygerCub.
I'm a little involved in the project over at Daz and saw how this Deerstalker came out and Cliff shows us the possibility of more ideas here.

Thanks again.

Best

Jim N.

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 6:46 AM

Well, more accurately Cliff shows the possiblity of TygerCub's ideas. I just posted a link over at the main discussion on the "community animation project" over at DAZ because I've been so impressed with TygerCub's efforts and blatant talent. It's often useful to remember that while the communities have a degree of overlap, not everyone scans every message on every board - and renderosity is my "old stomping ground", so I often come here if I can't find something. It's usually Little Dragon who points out that what I want is right under my nose, but the rich diversity of different groups provides an extra layer of potential that's well worth bearing in mind. When we get the scripts reasonably nailed down I intend making a post here outlining the project in case any of the animators here aren't part of the DAZ scene and would like to join in. Meanwhile wifey is looking at me strangely - I'm late taking the kid to the zoo. Later all! Cheers, Cliff

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:15 PM

TygerCub that is a real neat idea for a coat, it even makes me think about maybe getting the Heavies. 8)

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:37 PM

They're cool. I like them. Steve hasn't even bunged me a bribe (which I think is a SHOICKING state of affairs). They could benefit from a bit more support - but they are at least getting some. More or less than Sara I don't know :( Cliff

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:42 PM

file_116013.jpg

And here are the groups from the top. In each case I've used front,left, and now top cameras from the figure as it loads in. Cheers, Cliff

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 5:49 PM

I'm very dissappointed by the Sara fiasco. My storage hard drive died last week and it contained all my models including Sara v.1 and v.2. I just tried to download Sara again a few minutes ago and they have removed the link to download her. So I've got all these accessories, maps, etc, that I bought for her and now can't use. I won't say it's a rip off 'cos I'm sure no one planned this but it has still made me pretty mad. 8( Catlin

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 6:30 PM

At least I can say with some degree of certainty that The Heavies shouldn't be easy to confuse with G.I.R.L. :) Cliff

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 6:40 PM

Yup! That is so true. 8)

TygerCub ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 6:40 PM

file_116014.jpg

Here's the rough start. Cliff, I'd like to send you a 3DS file to see if it fits the character. Would you IM me the correct address again?

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 7:05 PM

no probs - right on it :)

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 8:13 PM

Just followed Cliff's link here from DAZ. WOW! TygerCub, I'm am REALLY impressed! Modeling without the model! And modeling very cool stuff, might I add. Looking forward to seeing the final result! -Heidi

One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. -River Tam

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 8:27 PM

file_116015.jpg

So far it seems to be going pretty darned well - I've had to drastically scale it and move it about, naturally, but it seems to be a pretty good fit so far (mind you at nearly half 2 in the morning I could be too sleepy to know what I'm doing!) Cheers, Cliff

DdraigGraphics ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 8:30 PM

I wondered if it was getting late there. This is bloody amazing to see how that was done. If anything, the eduactional value is immense. Cool. Jim

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 8:37 PM

file_116017.jpg

Here's the fit from the front, assuming I have the scaling and placement right.

who3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 8:38 PM

file_116018.jpg

With that precise scaling and positioning, we get minor poke-through on the back of the shoulders, as attached. Time for me to sleep! night all, Cliff

TygerCub ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 8:49 PM

file_116019.jpg

Sweet! That means the detailed version... which I was WAY too impatient to wait to do... will fit still with very little tweeking.

Here's a quickie Poser view of the object file with some details added. First thing I realized is I forgot to model pockets... sheesh!

This one is an OBJ file instead of 3DS, so there will be none of the odd triangulation I noticed 3DS seems to like to do.

It's bedtime for me too folks. Whew! This has been fun!

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 9:03 PM

Now that's just EXECELLENT, TC! And absolutely perfect for the project. Cliff's going to have fun with that one. Goodnight, guys! -Heidi

One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. -River Tam

DdraigGraphics ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2004 at 10:50 PM

Well done. Again, you can see what can get accomplished with the talented willing. A real eye opener. Awesome. Thanks TygerCub. Jim

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 3:56 AM

Jim that's actually one of the better techniques (IMHO) to modelling "in general". Produce sketches of the thing you want to model in front/side/top views, all to matching scale, then place them on 3 squares in the 3D environment. Works for most things, and you'd usually only model one half of the object (that's how I'll attempt the X-named fish in Cinema4D anyway, with the program duplicating and mirroring automatically as I go). I read part of a (book) tutorial on making a car model that way (I'll get back to it in my free time) and you can approach anything that way. Dinosaurs, for example - either from a sketch of the dinosaur or even just from a sketch of the skeleton (tho my preference would be for the former). However, sadly, there's still no replacement for skill and experience. All the theoretical knowing in the world doesn't make me able to produce things at the speed or quality TygerCub has been doing (never mind both!) :( Cheers, Cliff

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 4:06 AM

TygerCub: Patience is a rare commodity isn't it? Yup the tweaking should be minor. Tiny, tiny thoughts: There's are a couple of sharp-looking corners where the arms meet the chest. They might be solved when/if you go to another level of subdivision. .OBJ much better than .3DS (personal preference) even though the file size tends to be larger. Would the tweed "grain" tend to run verticlaly rather than horizontally? Pockets? Bah! Nothing's finished until it's finished. I'd have hated to miss out on the textured preview just because you modelled the pockets before bedtime instead! Cheers, Cliff

DdraigGraphics ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 6:28 AM

This tells me that since I can draw, to come up with some ideas and make 3 drawings in isometric views for what I need to learn. I saw some of that in "Femme Digitale" and a wolf character. Runs off to think about this -heavily. Thanks Cliff.

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 6:48 AM

No worries. Without Tygercub's work I wouldn't have had the ready image to explain the technique, so it's all a group effort thing really. Cheers, Cliff PS it's surprising how "art" or "artistry" tends to feed on itself. No one school or technique stands truly alone, each skill can complement others, and inform if not directly contribute in perhaps unexpected ways :)

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 11:26 AM

Right! you've all got me thinking too, I've got 3DMax and Rhino and have as yet only done the very basic of basic modelling, but I think I will delve into this modelling stuff a bit more deeply. You never know I may be good at it and I'll never know if I don't give it a try, right? So I may see you later if I come up with something useful. It would also be so pleasurable to give stuff to folks in the community in return for all the freebies I've downloaded myself. Catlin

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 11:48 AM

You go for it! There's little in the world like producing something from scratch As usual, if you want any ideas I'm sure the community could easily supply potential projects from the simplicity of a matchbox to the complexity of a WorldShip (exterior and "working" interior, including forest environment section etc. etc.). Cheers, Cliff

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 12:19 PM

As a starting point could you suggest something for me to build, remembering that it can't be too difficult. 8P I know, I'm a sad person, and my brain don't work too well. 8)

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2004 at 12:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.smoke.co.uk/Pipes/calabash.htm

Try what I was going to make - a pipe for Sherlock to smoke. Start off by producing a cone and see if you can bend the shape into a curve something like a Calabash pipe (see http://www.smoke.co.uk/Pipes/calabash.htm for examples) Once you've sussed that (paying attention not to "flatten" the pipe through any of the bends) have a go at producing a quality version, with an interior to the "bowl" and better shaping along the length to seperate materials. At least, that's what comes off the top of my head. Don't aim to try and make it compatible with the Sherlock project, just do a pipe for the Dons/Dorks/Michaels of this world (easier than getting the shape "just so" to avoid trunk and tusks, I suspect!). I think there's something of a lack of freebie pipes in general, having searched for one, so you're likely to supply a ned there (if a small one). Cheers, Cliff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.