Fri, Sep 20, 10:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Realistic skin texture and lighting

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 1:10 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:18 PM

file_197225.jpg

I'm getting there slowly, but still a way to go yet. Thought I'd share what I have so far. The texture uses the wonderful Lori texture as a base, it's so good it doesn't need a huge amount of tweaking. I've added some noise and veins, as well as some shading. This first attempt came out a little too muted for my taste

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 1:12 PM

file_197226.jpg

And this has probably gone a bit too far the other way and is a bit too garish, somewhere inbetween should do it :-) Once I'm happy, I'll do a tutorial.

face_off ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 2:38 PM

Looks nice. What method are you using to get the effect? In the second image, her face is a little overexposed (see the tip of her nose).

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 4:02 PM

The first image is really good although the eyes look dead. Maybe have her eyes with an up/down value of somewhere between -5 and -8. Poser figures can often look more realistic when their eyes are pointing in a certain direction. The eyewhite could have a brighter specular value as well. I agree that the second looks way overexposed. In addition, the resolution of the head and body are often different. The second image makes the body look more pixelated. The eyes look bloodshot and the lipstick doesn't match with the surrounding lip texture. I hope this was helpful and not too critical. You're doing an excellent job :)

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 4:08 PM

I',m using layers of textures blended together (trying to simulate sub surface scattering) with some translucency. I'm having real problems with the eyes and the lips, getting them to match the light and tone of the rest of the face. The 2nd image was an attempt at simulating camera flash, where the temple and nose would reflect more of the flash. The lighting is then an attempt at radiosity. I'm getting there, albeit slowly.

Furyofaseraph ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 5:33 PM

It does look like the spec of your eyes isnt high enough, her eyes look very dry. I concour with BlueMarlin - could help if they eyes are in a certain direction.

face_off ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 10:53 PM

At the risk of starting another arguement....unless you use a disfuse node into the translucency - any translucency you add is simply treated as ambient by the renderer. I assume you've read the tutorial at http://www.users.on.net/~pkinnane/RealSkinShaderTutorial.html? On the eye thing....her face will look more real if you get the skin, eye and teeth brightness all correct relative to each other. A good way to test your skin techniques is to shut her mouth and close her eyes - then the viewer is focusing on skin.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

tbird10 ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 12:18 PM

file_197228.jpg

I've now had a look at that tutorial, looks a bit complex for 30+ lights. Here's the latest

face_off ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 1:56 PM

Looking very good. Her lips don't quite look right - maybe use a more conventional skin for them? Also - looks like her skin is still too bright relative to her eyes. 30 lights is a lot! Do you need shadows on for all of them? If so, so render time a problem?

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.