Wed, Sep 25, 3:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 2:58 pm)

Subject: Medieval Clothes

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 6:45 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 3:18 PM

I'm trying to find a medieval period type warrior clothing for Victoria. Preferably western european. All I keep seeing is the Breast plate, and thong theme. This is very cool for maybe fantasy pinups, but hardly close to what maybe would be more authentic in those days.. Lets face it..they would be all over her in 2 minutes dressed like that..LOL I am looking for something a bit more "practical" but still with a touch of sexiness...y'know..sota like that chick in the Van Helsing movie :) It would also have to be useable in animations, not just still shots. Any suggestions? or perhaps something already out there I could modify? I am also looking for villager clothes..a sort of peasant look..

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 6:56 AM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com

They're out there, but I think they're in the marketplace. You can get *some* of taht here, but what you're looking for sometimes comes in several pieces.. another thought...somewhere in Freebies were some chain mail textures, if you want, you could combine that for that 12th-13th Century 'half armor' look, but it sounds like you're looking for Maximillian-type armor (15th Century). Peruse the Poser gallery, maybe narrow the search to something medieval-like (I don't know the categories that well), and see if they give credits..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 7:57 AM

PoserWorld has made some everyday medieval type clothing. It's a subscription site though, but well worth the money!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 9:30 AM

Quote - and thong theme

Yep. I imagine it would be pretty hard to do battle while having to stop and floss all of the time. ;)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 9:53 AM

LOL Acadia..that it would be. Thanks all so very mch for the feedback on this. I am trying to create an animated movie set in medieval western Europe in about the 9th or 10th century. Starring what else..a warrior woman. Played by Fatale's Ember :) I decided not to do yet another UK thing..thats sort of played out with Arthur, and Excalibur stuff. I just want to put a bit of authentism with it as well. There was a movie made many years ago..called Ivanhoe..the real old one..Starred Robert Taylor..the movie itself was cheesy by today's standards..but it got good reviews for it's props and setting.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 10:14 AM

hehe. Sorry :) I couldn't resist. Forgive me.... I'm running on zero sleep.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 10:59 AM

If you're doing that period, you're most likely looking at Chain mail, and even scale mail (overlapping little plates) Norman Conical helmets should work, (think Sutton Hoo, or something along the lines of a conical helmet with a noseguard), no surcoats (not invented yet), lances are more like long spears (sometimes even held above the shoulder).
Look for images of the Bayeux (sp?) Tapestry, for reference, etc on Google. Maybe some of the 1st Crusade, Viking (towards the end of their wanderings, but still contemporary) stuff..Byzantine art (like the Alexiad..etc). good luck..animation is completely beyond me..;)
I think Ivanhoe was more 11th-12th century armor, or even later..if it's the one I'm thinking of, Elizabeth Taylor as a young girl (the Jewish character..this was a long time ago..;) it's on the cable channels every now and again.
Don't mind all the historical stuff if it's not really important to the plot, etc..just hope this helps..

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 11:15 AM

She played Rebecca :)

cryptojoe ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 11:19 AM

Contact a member named Taria, and ask her to make you up something in Rhino. She's pretty good from what I've seen.

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

BastBlack ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 11:56 AM

You could convert some of the excellent M2 and M3 battlewear to V2 or V3 with Wardrobe Wizard. Try the excellent packs made by John Malis: Iceni Queen, Vikings, Normans, Persians, Saxons, Celtic, Crusaders, Dwarves, RPG, Macedonian, Hoplite, and Greeks. They're availible at places like Daz, Renderosity, PoserStyle, and RuntimeDNA. I think those would be your best bets. bB

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 1:22 PM

Thanks so much to all of you :) cryptojoe: I could not find the member Taria here..is she elsewhere? Bastblack,,yeah maybe Saxon..etc..I'll check out John's work/ packled..yup thats the movie :) Acadia..get some sleep.. LOL I did see one style I sort of liked for her warrior time, the chain mail top part at least..and that is DM's Fantasy Realms..might purchase that one :)

cryptojoe ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 4:37 PM

Maybe I have her member name and real name mixed up. Let me get back to you.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 6:00 PM

file_313936.jpg

Chain hauberk (a long chainmail coat, covering arms and most of the legs, split in front and back for riding) may be what you're looking for. Usually worn over a soft leather undercoat.

Chain mail was quite expensive to make and repair. Only the wealthy warrior lords could afford chain. Scale mail was a lot cheaper. So was reinforced leather and studded leather.

Another factor is weight. Scale mail is heavy. Chain mail is lighter, but still quite heavy. Leather armor is a lot less encumbering than the metal mail types.
You should also consider the kind of protection the different armor types afford. Chain mail is good against edged weapons and takes away the worst of the hit of a blunt weapon. It also will stop a broadhead arrow, but it is totally ineffective against armor piercing arrows and slender blades like rapiers. Scale mail is good against most medieval weapons, but a thrust from below will slide between the scales and kill or seriously wound the wearer.
Leather offers reasonable protection against all medieval weapons. It has no typical weak spots, but it also doesn't have typical strong points.
If your hero is going to fight all kinds of different opponents, she's probably best off wearing reinforced leather.

Your hero is a woman. Will she be very muscular and strong, or will she be agile and quick? In the latter case, she's much better off wearing leather armor, maybe a reinforced type with metal scales or rings sewn on.

The warrior outfit for the She-Freak would be historically fairly accurate. And it's fairly sexy too. But you'd have to morph it into a Vicki fit using Wardrobe Wizard.

The Winter Queen Hero outfit for Jessi wouldn't be too shabby for your project, I think. A scale mail short skirt, a leather top with metal cups. See the image.

The only really unrealistic part is leaving her stomach bare - stomach wounds were invariably fatal in medieval times (even in these modern times, with quick transport and modern medical science a soldier receiving a severe stomach wound quite often dies). But a second skin could fix that.

You'd have to use Wardrobe Wizard to make it fit Vicki, though.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

cryptojoe ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 7:27 PM

Here's Taria's IM. Click on the link to send her a message.

Tell her Joe from Rhino sent you.

Joe

ScotHarvest ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 11:12 PM

file_313937.jpg

SPEC2 has a freebie scalemaile thats fairly authentic... take a look.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
  --  Mark Twain --

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 12:58 AM

The image above is the Real Scalemail for Posette freebie by Mordikar. He's got some more nice medieval stuff, all free. The scale mail above is untextured, all the detail is modeled. It's quite polygon heavy! But it's beautifully made.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

radstorm ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 3:40 AM

thanks svdl..I like the skirt..maybe better if it was a bit longer though..maybe I can ask him if it can be adjusted to a longer length..you have a good working knowledge of medieval warfare :) joe..thanks for the info..I will contact her ScotHarvest: I think that would be a good design for perhaps the castle soldiers..well soldierettes .. :) ernyoka1: I will check out Poserworld as well..but I think some of the best talent people are here at renderosity :) Thank you all so very much for your help..there will be lots of clothing designs I want to check out..as there will be other characters as well needing them

dolphing ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 8:06 AM

file_313938.jpg

This is coming in 2 weeks in market place

radstorm ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 8:28 PM

svdl: is that image a gallery image, or an actual clothing item sold here? Is there anyone making a sort of chain mail second skin..or body suit around here..maybe that would help resolve part of her unprotected area issue? dolphing: to me that looks a bit more like a french maid..no offense for that though..it's a nice outfit..maybe I could use it in another theme though :) I am gonna order Poser 6 upgrade Friday also..maybe theres some little "helpers" in it as well; Wow..now I see why Final Fantasy had such a long list of credits at the end..lol

radstorm ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 8:31 PM

One other thing..what is this Shade thing? ..do any of you see it as practical..or is there other scripts / plugins for Poser that can do similar tasks?

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 8:47 PM

The Winter Queen was a P6 bonus, an add-on that came with Poser 6 when it was released. I don't know if it still comes with P6. It's not a gallery image, it was just a quickie I made to show the armor. Not good enough to post in the galleries IMO. Making second skins, that's not too difficult. You basically need a leather lookalike texture (or P6 shader) and apply that texture to the SkinTorso material (in case of V3. Jessi has other material groupings, you might have to create a new material group for the second skin). Shade is a 3D modeling program that is also sold by e-frontier. Personally I don't like its interface (and since I've got 3D Studio Max, I have no need for another modeler). You can use Shade to make your own cloth models, or environments, or whatever. You can render your Poser scenes in Shade. Lots of possibilities there. There's a Shade forum here, I think you can find more answers there. Good luck!

radstorm ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 9:08 PM

svdl: ah ok..well I'll find out when e sends me my Poser 6..so if it is there..then I can maybe lengthen her skirt some :) Thanks for the info about Shade as well. WHoa! 3D Max? you must be one them rich guys..lol .. j/k By the way..you know any good tutorial books or videos for Poser dummies> lol

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 9:47 PM · edited Wed, 28 December 2005 at 9:51 PM

3Axis has a video out for Poser 5 called "Poser 5 Demystified". It has a VHS and a CD with files. You work along with the VHS and do what Jeff's doing on it.

I'm a slow learner when it comes to software, and it doesn't help that I'm dyslexic and it takes me longer to process education material because I need to make sure that I'm seeing what I'm seeing :) So I found the video moved along too fast for me to keep up with and I had to keep rewinding over and over again.

However, there is some good information in there if you can keep up with the pace of it.

It covers loads of stuff in every single room. It's for Poser 5, but you can do it in Poser 6 too. Some features might be in different places, that's the only thing.

I enjoyed the face room tutorial on how to take 2 images and make a 3D out of it. It's not very hard if you watch it being done and mimic it.

If you do buy it.. make sure you insist that they send it out by FedX and NOT UPS if you live in Canada. Once that VHS and CD get to you buy UPS it's 8 weeks later and will cost you an additional $50.00 at the door for brokerage fees (for UPS to process 1 piece of paper at the border). FedX charges $22.00 and it goes by air and includes ALL fees, so you pay nothing further than the $22.00 shipping.

Message edited on: 12/28/2005 21:51

radstorm ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 10:04 PM

Acadia: Thanks for the info..I agree about UPS..heck they cant even get it right here in the states..LOL, not to mention they are too lazy to deliver 6 days a week..twice they have "supposedly' delivered me stuff..and twice they have said "nobody was at home" and I ended up having to go to their distribution point to get my stuff..and still got a hassle because I didn't have the "alleged" note they claimed they left..RME So I pretty much tell any merchant now..either send it postal, or fedex..or no sale..lol Actually my advice to you is if you order from the states..request it sent US Mail..it's a lot less hassle :)

cryptojoe ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 2:32 AM

UPS! Gads! They used to have a very good reputation. But over the course of the last 20 years they've gotten progressively worse. Back in 1999, a neighbor of mine ordered a Computer from Dell. I never even met my neighbor who was supposed to get the product. UPS Delivered it to my door, dropped the whole system there, never had anyone sign or nothing, and we live in the heart of Las Vegas!

Needless to say, my neighbor way down the street got their computer, but they had to come to my house to get it.

My preferred Carrier is the US Mail, they deliver on Saturdays at no extra cost, will deliver on Sunday's and Holidays for an extra fee, and if you are not at home, they will bring it the next day if you call in time for delivery.

Whats more, if you ship out stuff from your house, they'll pick it up.

US Postal Service

radstorm ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 3:09 AM

One of the other good things about the US Mail, and I'm sure it's true with our Canadian friends up north's mail service too. That sometimes you might mail something and perhaps not put a simple thing like an apartment number. Most mail carriers are familiar with the people they deliver to, and will make sure the right person gets it. Both UPS, and FedEx have a tendency to just drop it at whatever the address is, and care less reading the name on the label. I get medications from the VA, and FedEx just tossed them downstairs at someone else's door. Unfortunately that neighbor was also a doper, so I guess he thought Santa came early..lol . Of course I wasn't laughing when it happened. The mailman (or lady=equality statement) will read the label and know which apartment it goes to :) I wont use anyone else but the US Postal service to deliver my outgoing stuff. Anyways, back to what I am here for Joe. I was mistaken about the DMs Fantasy Realms thing..the clothing was not designed by them, it originated from Daz3D, and by the way you friend did the post work on those promo pics :)

radstorm ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 3:14 AM

PS: Does she design poseable clothing, or just do gallery and post work? I don't want to waste her time, if she does not. Remember this will be animation, not stills :) By the way, anybody ever seen a BVH file floating around of both a horse and the rider together. I'm betting that would be a tough one to do.

Svigor ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 8:17 PM

Couple of things about medieval armor.

No, mail (maille) was not exclusively for the wealthy.  Depending on period and location, it was considered standard issue for a professional soldier.  It wasn't cheap though.

On names - "chain mail" is redundant.  It's "mail" or "maille".  "Scale mail" is a misnomer - it's just scale or scale armor. There were MANY variations on the basic scale theme, like coat-of-plates, lamellar, etc.  Styles varied widely with period and region.  And no, mail wasn't useless against armor-piercing arrows or bolts, just less useful.

Pick up a few of Osprey Publishing's excellent series of illustrated books for plenty of info on medieval armor.

Leather armor was often (usually?) what the French called "cuir bolli," hardened via some kind of boiling process.

Odd factoid, the Mongols used a form of silk "armor" bundled thickly about themselves - when pierced with an arrow it would (hopefully) sink into the wound around the arrowhead and facilitate removal and minimize the damage.

rreynolds ( ) posted Fri, 12 May 2006 at 4:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=34

The most sensual armor set I've seen is the RDNA leather Gothic Armor for Victoria2 (link above). It's based on an armor outfit created at this site:

http://www.dorsetthouse.com/

It's full body armor that provides a little protection while not hampering the wearer's movements and is more for a fighter that wants to move quick and not be a lumbering armored human tank.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 12 May 2006 at 8:20 PM

boy..talking about bringing a thread back from the dead..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.