Mon, Oct 7, 6:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: New Gallery - Like and Dislike

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 5:17 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 6:21 AM

DISLIKE

The gallery shwoing most viewed.    This will always ALWAYS have naked figures in it.   I don't have a problem with naked figures and indeed quite happily go through the gallery expecting to see them and wouldn't go as far as to check the "no nude" option.   But to have them on the gallery first page is a little bit much.   

Deleting comments:  the ability for an artist to delete comment they don't like?  What a CRAZY idea.  Who came up with that?   It's going to turn the gallery into a wishy washy back slapping pile of complementary goop.     At least have place markers that show that a comment was deleted.

Letting people ask to not have critical comments!   Almost as bad.  Personally, and I'm not saying this should be standard, I won't comment on any picture that uses that option.  Even if I had nothing bad to say about it.

CSS - nuff said.

Likes - I do kind like the new layout.  Latest, recent and favourite is nice.  Not too sure I want people to know what images I've been looking at though.

OK, early days (or hours) so need to play some more.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 5:41 PM

Quote "The gallery shwoing most viewed.    This will always ALWAYS have naked figures in it.   I don't have a problem with naked figures and indeed quite happily go through the gallery expecting to see them and wouldn't go as far as to check the "no nude" option.   But to have them on the gallery first page is a little bit much. "

I agree...the crotch shot is a bit much :blink:

jjean21 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:22 PM

I agree with both comments about the nudity..these will always be the most viewed and quite often added to the favorites list more than other type of images, seems like another way to enforce the same principal as the HOT 20 only on a more voyeristic level (and no I'm not a prude and yes I both do and view nudes)

I for one don't see the need to inform anyone of the type of comments that I'll accept., before if I wasn't willing to accept constructive criticism along with the good I had the option to disable the comments box and have neither.

Deleting comments...I'll admit there have been a few I'd rather not have seen but they've been few and far between and I consider the source, so this doen't seem like a necessary item either.

One thing I would like to know is how I view the rest of my gallery and my favorites and why on earth I need to have a thumb of my most recent views on my home page. I already know what I looked at.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:26 PM

We are working on the issue regarding the Most Viewed etc on the main gallery page. I agree that some thumbnails are just too much. Even though most have to view nudity in their profile I fear alot don't want to see it like that on the front page so we will get a resolution to this:)

There isn't an option for members to delete theirs or others comments?  Where are you seeing this?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:33 PM

file_345269.jpg

On the same line as [PROFILE]

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Angel1 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:43 PM

I believe that is only active for the mods?? Is that right Stac?

....Now Bring Me That Horizon....
Send IM | Gallery

Vex ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:44 PM

whats the difference between nudes on page 1 and page 2?

Doc000 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:49 PM

What I like:

• Thank you for getting rid of the Hot 20.  That served no purpose.
  • Seems to be a little bit faster.
  • A few more options to browse the way I want to browse.

What I hate:

• Resizing the images and making people open a new window to see the full size image.  Either do away with it altogether or allow people to toggle full size/reduced size in their settings (like Renderotica).
  • My Gallery - what's the point of clicking the link when it doesn't show all of my images. I shouldn't have to go to a main gallery and click my username just to view all of my own works.
  • Views/Comments count - please put them back the way they were under the thumbnails.  Having to actually view the image just see how many views or comments it has is silly.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 6:57 PM

Okay the delete comment issue is being worked on right now, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Doc

You can choose in MY OPTIONS if you want to open a new window or not.

The MY GALLERY is being worked on right now so that the MY GALLERY Link takes you to your full gallery

The comments count is under the thumbnail but the number of view is on the full image.

jjean21 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:06 PM

Is there a way to disable the ranking button? I'd really prefer not to use it if possible.

Doc000 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:12 PM

"You can choose in MY OPTIONS if you want to open a new window or not."

That's not what I'm talking about.  Your new software is automatically resizing images to fit on the page, which makes people have to click it again to view it at the fullsize.  Regardless of whether or not it opens in a new window, people should be able to have a setting to automatically view images at their fullsize or at the reduced size.  Again, I direct you to Renderotica and the way they handle the viewing sizes.

"The MY GALLERY is being worked on right now so that the MY GALLERY Link takes you to your full gallery"

Excellent...thank you.

"The comments count is under the thumbnail but the number of view is on the full image."

If you can put the comment count under the thumbnail, then adding the number of views shouldn't be that hard.  Again, I think it's pretty silly to have to actually view the full image just to see how many hits it has gotten.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:14 PM

You can edit your image(s) to not allow rankings and on future uploads just leave it "unchecked"

jjean21 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:15 PM

Thank you.

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:25 PM

Quote - I for one don't see the need to inform anyone of the type of comments that I'll accept., before if I wasn't willing to accept constructive criticism along with the good I had the option to disable the comments box and have neither.

Perhaps the ability to indicate that one is looking for constructive critique will encourage more people to comment. People have often expressed concern about leaving a critique because of responses that are less than "friendly". Personally, knowing a person doesn't want a constructive critique makes it easier for me to just say something nice if it's deserved and not ponder whether or not I'll get a nasty-gram if I tell them they need to work on their antialiasing.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

3dvice ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:28 PM

What I like: - Not to see the number of hits and comments under the thumbnails. - To see how much time passed since the upload. What I dislike: - The resizing of images!!! The quality of resizing is really bad! The lines/edges are not smooth, but kind of zigzag :-/

Le cinéma substitue à notre regard un monde qui s'accorde à nos désirs. - André Bazin

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:30 PM

Hi 3dvice

I am asking about the resizing of images problem:)

rockets ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:31 PM

I think the new gallery will probably grow on me, but in the meantime there are some things that I really think are wrong.  Number one being the most recent viewed images...that really is not cool.  Number two is the option to delete comments...not cool either. 

I also noticed on a few of my recent images that the count is all wrong.  The last one I posted was yesterday and it says I had 2 views.  Well that's kind of hard to do when I have more than 2 comments...Uh, what's up with that?

Anyway, once I get my background color back to black, all will be fine I'm sure.  :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 7:46 PM

I know somebody must have asked this: if there are only 1228 pages and 18 images per page (22,104 total), what happened to the 700,000 other images? not that I'm worried, mind you, as the old ones are no doubt in an archive somewhere.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:06 PM

Yes I think anything over 45 days old is in the archives Miss Nancy

3dvice - What browser are you using? The programmers said that  They are being scaled down to size within the layout, but the actual image size is not being altered in any way.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:22 PM · edited Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:24 PM

I am using firefox fullscreen at 1600x1200 and it looks like it is resizing for abour 800 wide in a centered frame.

Also wanted to add that even with the avatars unchecked in My Options, it still puts them up next to the comments below the image.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:23 PM

Thanks I will pass this info on to the programmers Incarnadine.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:25 PM

Dislikes:   1)  default opening page going to "what's new"  I'm not interested in nude photography or non-specific 3d applications I don't use.  I like the way old gallery would remember and go to Bryce-all if that's what I last viewed.   I find it unnerving to want to show a house guest or my children's friends something in my gallery or such and the scene opens with nudies fm poser and photog.

1. What happened to the rest of my favorite images?  I only see six

2. Get rid of "my last viewed" this is a privacy issue that r'osity should not be imposing on it's artist.  This is a biggy.

3. clicking to view full size is a drag as mention already.  If I click a thumb, I want to see the image at full screen .

4. again as in forum changes implementing,  avitars and signatures slow the site down.  Not everyone has broadband.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:28 PM

I also noticed that it said I had 29 comments in the summary at the end of my gallery on my most commented image, I only have 16. Someone needs to check into the maths - this is not urgent though.

Unicornst ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:28 PM

Stacey...the dimensions may be the same, but the original image itself is downsized. You have to click on the image itself (or ZOOM IN) to see it in  the original size.

For example.... I click on thumbnail for image by artist "A" ..... the first image I see is sized at 700 X 749. The image was uploaded as 947 X 1013 

Making the image smaller than the original on first viewing is making the images appear ragged and not anti-aliased. And not everyone will bother with the ZOOM and therefore, the image the artist uploaded is not portrayed as the artist wished it to be.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:32 PM

1)  We are going to be defaulting the opening page to Whats new.

1. You only see six of your favorites when clicking the MY FAVORITES link?

2. The last viewed or most recent viewed is standard on a lot of sites and is an added feature

3. Not sure what you mean here?  We are looking into a resizing issue but not sure if that is what you mean?

4. The site speed issue as stated previously will be slower than the end result for now due to the programmers still working on issues.

Thanks

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:35 PM · edited Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:37 PM

the properties box (right click on downsize image) states 700 pixels regardless of my upload size.
I would like a show images at original size option myself (a la ' rotica) for when I open a thumb.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:36 PM

Thanks Unicornst, I'll give this detailed info to the programmers:)

And I'll also check on the math, LOL

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for being here to listen. Appreciated!

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:41 PM · edited Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:44 PM

You are very welcome. I just want to make things as good as I can for all of you. You don't know how much I appreciate all of your input, suggestions and helpful detailed info..it makes my job so much easier :b_smile:

3dvice ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 8:59 PM

Thanks Stacey! I use Opera.. but I think it's a general problem.. Like Unicorst said: the dimensions may be the same, BUT the initial view is resized to a width of 700px. The images appear ragged and not anti-aliased :-/

Le cinéma substitue à notre regard un monde qui s'accorde à nos désirs. - André Bazin

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 9:01 PM

I will let you all know when I find out something:)

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 9:13 PM

Sorry about the lost "favorite images"  dislike.  I just discovered clicking link initially goes to favorites page with the six most recent added images.  I had overlooked a second link at that page that loaded all of the favorites.

I solved my dislike #1 by saving direct link to gallery desired in my browser's favorites

I still don't like lasted viewed thing

Tks, for answering. 

3dvice ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 9:37 PM

Forgot to mention that a) i appreciate very much the new option to filter images containing violence b) the new rating system seems to me much better than the old one Thanks!

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 9:45 PM

Quote - Stacey...the dimensions may be the same, but the original image itself is downsized. You have to click on the image itself (or ZOOM IN) to see it in  the original size.

Making the image smaller than the original on first viewing is making the images appear ragged and not anti-aliased. And not everyone will bother with the ZOOM and therefore, the image the artist uploaded is not portrayed as the artist wished it to be.

This is my concern also.  I feel like I might have to plead with people to click on my work to see how it was meant to be.  But this is typical with PHP galleries, at least the ones I've posted on.  I really don't know how this can be fixed.  To view the actual size images, you'll lose the comments area.  Unless they can eliminate the "third" click (seperate window) and have the second "click" (the one with the comments) fill a scrollable area with the true image size (say 1024x768).  Tough call.  But it would be nice to have.

Doc000 ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 9:50 PM

StaceyG:

You said the the comment count appears under the thumbnails.  I'm sorry, but I've checked several images I know have comments on them and none of them show the number of comments.  Clicking the thumbnail shows that the image does indeed have several comments, but it's not reported under the gallery thumbnail.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 9:55 PM

Here's a good example, but any personal gallery has the same issue...

http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1235392

Until someone actually clicks on the image for the full view...blechhh!  How many will actually click?

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 10:05 PM

I know what you mean - nice work BTW.

musicat ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 10:32 PM

the feature to disable the avatars does not work.

rebelmommy ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 10:36 PM

Just a note.. as I am not sure if it was mentioned or not.. but I am not getting Ebots telling my my favorite artists have uploaded new images and a few of mine have since the change.. .. dont know if that is something that wont be happening with the new galleries or not.. and secondly.. after taking about half an hour to become comfortable with the galleries I have to say I really like them only 1 thing I dislike.. and that is that the images dont show at full size.. and as was stated previously.. this can cause some images to look not so pretty..LOL  Over all I am pleased:)

Renderosity's "problem Child"
Support Hydrocephalus research.. because a Shunt is NOT a cure!

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 10:50 PM · edited Tue, 13 June 2006 at 10:51 PM

file_345284.jpg

Not very good for the writers. The statistics blend and are not distinct from the text so it all runs together.  (I've highlighted the statistics in my sample, but it all blandly runs together in reality). 

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 10:56 PM

file_345285.jpg

And, while I'm whining, does this look a little messy and hard to read to anyone?  Very biased against writers, from my point of view.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 13 June 2006 at 11:04 PM

The last of me...poetry looks even worse than prose.

I don't think I should have to learn CSS in order to post a writing piece properly.

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 12:50 AM

How about some grammar and style checking? "Erlik has xx uploads since he or she joined" should be something like "Erlik has had xx uploads since joining". The proper tense and you avoid that awkward "he or she."

-- erlik

SusiQ ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 1:19 AM

file_345288.jpg

I like the new look. Far more professional.

The only problem I have seen is that when I look at the items in my gallery, the way it is set up  is wrong (as shown in the pic attached), but I found I just go to the edit open and, without even changing anything, save it and the format comes right.

I like the thumbnails in the comments, makes them more personal.

Thanks for all your hard work moderators and webmasters! Keep rocking!

Copyright S.R. Hulley
Chin up, stay strong! Hugs!

hewee ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 1:19 AM

I like the old layout better. Now if we come here and are looking at the gallery you have all the added clicking to get around. If I am at a page and just want to look at my gallery the link in the drop down used to be there on the right but not anymore. When you click to see the gallery you go to the first page but there is no link for the 2nd page so you have to click again and you get the same page again if you click "browse recent images" or "what's new" so more added clicking. Then I loved it when all you had to do was click a thumbnail and it opened in a new window and clicking it again it closed. Now you have to right click and pick open in new window and then go up to the X to close it. Plus the background color is a killer on the eyes. Then I get lots of pages that load just a page of code when I click on the next thumbnail page and then when I hit the back button it does not just go back because it is waiting and waiting for what ever. Then if I want to try and find a image I seen that is so many pages back I do not have the added number links to click on anymore so if I want to go back a 100 to 500 or what ever pages I now have even more clicking. Just way to much added clicking. Think of the load on the servers here with 2000 or people all clicking 2 or 3 times more then we need to. Then when you click on a thumbnail to see the image I like to be able to see the whole image. Or a option so we can control how it works. I click on the "My Home Page" link but it takes me to what says hewee's Home Page http://market.renderosity.com/homepage.php but it is no my home page and again I have to click the link there to get to my home page. Then when we upload a image the page is so long and you have all the added scrolling, boxes to check etc and I did not have the one newer option picked so had to go back and that takes time and I picked none and clicked to upload again but then had to go back again because going back the time before too the image name away so I had to fill that in again. I also don't think we should be able to delete comments. If we don't want comments then we can make it so no ones can post a comment but if they make one then it was because you asked for it. Now if it is bad then report it to the mods. I think the avatars are ok for the forums but not the gallery. If there is a avatars then I thing only the person who posted the image avatar should show up and we have option to turn this on or off. I can see from reading here I better delete all the cookies because I see post saying this or that are in my options but I do not see it or it was there and you took it away because your busy trying to get it to work right.

Gongyla ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 8:15 AM

What I like: it looks like all the adresses in my browser's bookmarks folders (artists, merchants, items,...) are still working. That is a relief. Although I like it less that a number is now replacing the artist's name. It was an easy way to know which link goes where.

What I find odd is that R. is still as slow as before. Having had to login several times can be a glitch, but slowness is a bad sign.

I would prefer personally to get the big picture directly, but I am on a fast connection, and many people aren't. So I guess it's better to take that intermediate step.

What I don't like is the "uploaded xdays, y hours, z minutes" ago instead of a simple date. It's great for a webdesigner to show that he can have time actively calculated by code, but I do not like to do the calculating myself.

As far as that nudity on the front page is concerned: I personally couldn't care less. Women will always be (luckily) the wet dream of most adolescents. But It would be great to be able to choose which gallery would open. And in fact you can (in Firefox): go to the gallery of your fancy and add it to the Bookmarks toolbar folder. You can even include a genre. Everything has a specific adress.

My conclusion: give us that promised speed increase, fix the login glitch and, if possible, the date, not the time data, and, after a bit of getting used to it, it'll be ok.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 8:29 AM

And another thing.....

If viewing an image you click on PROFILE it takes you not to a flashy new profile page, but to a page that doesn't use the new CSS, only has Public Wishlist and Fave vendors and a way to message the artist.

Will it eventually tkae you to the artist profile page?   Will we have a profile page with bio's and such?

Also, there is an option to "Visit my community homepage" but that goes to the old server.

I understand this probably means it's a work in progress, but we kinda need to know what's being worked on, what's not complete, so we don't ask stupid questions.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 9:36 PM

Dislikes:
The mouse over pop-up in the gallery. Can we kill this?!!!

cherokee69 ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 9:49 PM

Quote - Dislikes:
The mouse over pop-up in the gallery. Can we kill this?!!!

I just noticed that this evening. Don't like it at all. As if the galleries aren't cluttered enough now as it is, they added that. It's a white box with very light blue text and I can't even read it. Either get rid of it or give us an option to disable it....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Doc000 ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 10:46 PM

If you use the default style sheet, the little pop-up window is fine and completely legible.  However, using a custom style sheet turns it into light text on a light background, making it completely useless.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 14 June 2006 at 10:57 PM

Afraid I have a loathing for the ultra white default, so yes, I am using a CSS to fix that. Was very happy yesterday as to how the galleries were working (except for the resize instructions to browsers).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.