Tue, Oct 22, 12:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: Poser 7 is Pre-Announced!

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 11:07 AM

64 bit ,dual core .... have you seen the minimal specs for Vista ...... so everybody is gonna save $130 by not getting a P7 upgrade ... but you gonna smack a LOT of cash for getting a PC with minimal Vista Specs ... and then when you have a DVD drive running in compatible mode for 32 Bit .. because there is no 64 bit driver for it ..you whole 64 bit system fall's back to 32 bit to continue running..... so 99% of the time your running 32 instead of the 64 bit you payed LOADS of money for.

Dont stare blind for 64 bit or dual core ... be sure your system runs good and stable no matter what Bit amount or core processor....

Dual core 64 Bit Vista is gonna Cost you a lot more then you hoped for...

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 11:38 AM

Quote - I'm going to wait to see the other 6 of the 7 reasons to get P7.  For starters, I'm suspect that they've not mentioned either duo-core or 64-bit support.  Forget bells & whistles, I want to see some hard-core improvements (a firely upgrade?  better cloth room?  material room?)  I still have Miki and TY2 laying around, so new figures aren't enough a draw...

Hey now...they haven't released the feature list yet. 

Sigh...here we go.  At least I know now that I won't be buying bryce...gotta buy poser7.  I like early adopting.

Tirjasdyn

arcady ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 11:43 AM

Quote - Actually no thats not how it works.  If you use a check card it sorta does because your bank (sometimes) doesn't let you spend that money.  But if you use a credit card you don't have to pay the money till the bill shows up after poser ships.  An "authorization" never shows up on your bill till it's been charged.  We/the banks just check that you actually have the money/credit at the time and it gives us a unique transaction number (since we like most don't store your CC #) to charge when the product does ship.

You may not have to pay that on your bill, but it still comes off the top of your available balance. So you effectively lose that bit of fluidity.

Still results in the same corporate scam on the part of the credit card companies.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

DrMCClark ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 12:06 PM

I wasn't dissing P7, just that I wasn't going to jump on the bandwagon until I saw something that made it more than a glorified P6 SR4.  I like the latest version of things too.  Hell, I have WordPerfect X3 installed on my system, though that may be just my way of thumbing my nose at Office (we hates it! ;-)

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 12:14 PM

Thing about Poser 7--NO ONE knows enough to order it, except on blind faith.  And more--the thing with faith,.....if someone like EF abuses that faith.......I for one, just do NOT have any faith with 'em anymore.  I'm not alone in it. I know of at least six or seven others that got raw deals.

P7 might REALLY be the best thing since sliced bread.....BUT I would urge patience until someones made some sandwichs with it and every can see if anyone chokes on 'em, or chows'em down. ^__^  A lil caution never hurt anyone.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Torulf ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 12:43 PM

Sems to be an upgrade of content not real features.
Not a real update!

TG

arcady ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 12:50 PM · edited Fri, 13 October 2006 at 12:51 PM

The more I look at him, the more Simon reminds me of an actor from a Prilosec commercial who also played a psychotic controlling father on an Episode of Law and Order: SVU...

But maybe mixed with another actor from a show on the Sci Fi channel or a sitcom or something that I can't quite place...

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2006 at 1:43 PM

They haven't announced the features or changes yet gang but they will. This first announcement was to let you know it's coming and to give you an idea of the content included! Also, if you visit their store, you can get an idea of the specs required to run it.

Dizzi ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 9:50 AM

Quote - you whole 64 bit system fall's back to 32 bit to continue running.....

Did you make up all that nonsense you wrote yourself? People might actually believe that...

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 10:01 AM

Well i dont need to make it up ... And if you be so kind please show me a URL where there is a 64 bit driver.. for DVD player... this driver fall back is in windows from win 95 ..till today..

And if you believe it or not ... just be carefull when switching to vista ..

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Jcleaver ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 10:40 AM

Quote - > Quote - Actually no thats not how it works.  If you use a check card it sorta does because your bank (sometimes) doesn't let you spend that money.  But if you use a credit card you don't have to pay the money till the bill shows up after poser ships.  An "authorization" never shows up on your bill till it's been charged.  We/the banks just check that you actually have the money/credit at the time and it gives us a unique transaction number (since we like most don't store your CC #) to charge when the product does ship.

You may not have to pay that on your bill, but it still comes off the top of your available balance. So you effectively lose that bit of fluidity.

Still results in the same corporate scam on the part of the credit card companies.

It would be a scam if the credit card companies gets use of those funds in the meantime; however, they don't.  It is a method of protection to the merchants. 

lkendall ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 2:52 PM

10/14/06

Folks:

If you chose to upgrade/preorder at Content Paradise BE CAREFUL and don't use the scroll wheel on your mouse while ordeing. It changes data on the order sheets without warning. I just inadvertantly ordered a Mac version of Poser 6. My expereince with Content Paradise to this point is that they don't answer EMails or solve problems. I have always had to contact the vendors when a problem arises. I hope they will get their act together this time, but I am not hopeful. So, BE CAREFUL.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Tiny ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 5:24 PM

Quote - 10/14/06

Folks:

... My expereince with Content Paradise to this point is that they don't answer EMails or solve problems. I have always had to contact the vendors when a problem arises. I hope they will get their act together this time, but I am not hopeful. So, BE CAREFUL.

LMK

I have received very good help from support at CP.
If you PM krazik, who know all the details about the CP site, he will solve the issue very quickly. I'm sure. 😄

jfike ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 6:59 PM

Quote - 10/14/06

Folks:

If you chose to upgrade/preorder at Content Paradise BE CAREFUL and don't use the scroll wheel on your mouse while ordeing. It changes data on the order sheets without warning. I just inadvertantly ordered a Mac version of Poser 6. My expereince with Content Paradise to this point is that they don't answer EMails or solve problems. I have always had to contact the vendors when a problem arises. I hope they will get their act together this time, but I am not hopeful. So, BE CAREFUL.

LMK

Yes, that can happen at many sites if your (computer) focus is on a selection box and you really want to scroll the whole window.  I've gotten used to clicking somewhere in the window that's not a link or entry/selection and then scrolling.

And before clicking "Submit", go back and recheck everything.

Good sites have a "here is what you entered, do you want to make any changes?"

lkendall ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 7:24 PM

Tiny:

"PM (private message) Krazik."

I am willing to try, but I don't know how.

Thanks.

Tiny ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 7:42 PM

Sorry, I forgot the link.
LINK HERE

lkendall ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 7:47 AM

10/15/06

Tiny:

It really was my mistake to click okay, after I had accidentally changed my order to the wrong version with the scroll wheel on my mouse. I should have noticed when I downloaded the file that something was wrong. But, I really have had trouble getting CP to repond to problems in the past.

Ratscloset from CP corrected my mistake, very graciously. This is a big improvement in service for my part, and a confirmation of the great service you have received in the past. All turned out well, Happy Birthday to me! Today I am 55.

Thanks for the help!

LMK

LillianaSapphire ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 8:53 AM

Simon and sydney look just as butt ugly as jessie in my opinion.....

Whats so different about 7 that pro pack can't do?

I used p6 and hated it, so went back to pro pack...yes i maybe in the darkages.... but oh well

shg0816 ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 9:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing Lilliana about the differences (besides the packaging :lol: )

When I saw Poser 7 was going to come out ("soon"...hahaha), I wanted to do a side-by-side comparison of the three versions (5,6,7).

While it looks spiffy, like all new versions that come out, I'm sure there will be some bugs that crop-up.

I have Poser 5, and I'm happy with it. I think I will just sit and wait to see what everyone, who orders Poser 7 thinks of it.

Philodox ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 10:45 AM

I pre-ordered Poser 6.  For everything I'm worried about it doing, I might as well have stuck with 5.  I'm waiting to order 7 until they say something other that "it's got cool content"...  Like, can it do anything that 6 can't?  Or is this just another content upgrade?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 11:59 AM

Well I've preordered Poser 7.  And where are all the bugs you keep referring to? Oh wait.. those were in Poser 5... soon-to-be 2 versions away. And while you're all rejoicing over that  almost 7 year old program (which is positively ANCIENT in software  ages) that is Pro Pack, tell me it was flawless out of the box? Helloo? It, too, had 3 SR's

Oh and while we're paising ProPack, where's the atmosphere settings? The raytracing? The dynamic cloth?  The point lights? The material Room?

Oh but no, Pro Pack is enough.

Yeah it's enough if you're rendering is another program anyway. Or never use raytraced reflections anywhere and like plastic look on your characters.

Some of us has moved a bit beyond that.

I used, and LOVED Pro Pack. But that's years ago.

I also remember what a GREAT thing Windows 3.11 was compared to 3.0... Wow. the THINGS you could do...

I'm not buying Poser 7 for the content. IMO Sydney (funny btw I always thought it was a boy's name) is even uglier than Jessi, and while Simon looks OK, he also looks like he has the same almost-impossible-to-morph eyelids that plagues James. But I'm counting on some nifty new features. I may be naïve, but new content has never made anything a new program yet, so why should it be the case here?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Larry-L ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 12:20 PM

I like Poser a lot but I sure don't feel like shelling out $129 for a few new figures.  I've got plenty from Daz.  The things I would like to see and that would make me open my wallet is dual core processing and a faster Fire Fly (more than 20% faster) that doesn't run out of memory especially with more complicated scenes.  Oh! and for the future, compatibility with MS Vista.  E-frontier, take it from experience: I'm in sales and you don't get'em by keeping secrets.

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 2:54 PM

the trick to getting dual-core and 64-bit support is having a larger percentage of the computing populace actually owning them. Most companies are going to write software for what the majority of their customer base, and it costs money to program new routines and such (or modules and objects, I haven't done any programming since the 90's..;). If your market is 2-5% of the installed base, then you have to ask yourself if you're going to recoup your expenses writing for such a niche market.

In time, they'll become more of a standard among people, and then it will be (financially) worth their while to write for that.  I've only a limited knowledge of 64-bit stuff (a couple of server courses, nothing serious), but I know that 32-bit stuff is still supported.

One problem the industry is running into, is that computing power and capabilities have advanced so fast, that many people (i.e., non-gamers..;) are content with what they have. You need a 'killer app' that won't run in the 32-bit world to get them to change.  Isn't it ironic..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 3:41 PM

Well, if it's not available in a 64bit version and with dual core support, I'm probably not going to buy it. Content alone is no good reason.

What I'm hoping for:

• 64bit and 32 bit versions
  • Multithreading/multicore support
  • Full Python support of EVERYTHING. Including full wxPython. Actually, I hope ef will go the Microsoft way: decouple user interface from functionality and expose all functionality as an API.
  • New rigging
  • Backwards compatibility
  • A setup room that WORKS. Including higher precision numeric entry boxes, independent center and endpoint entries for all bones, smarter defaults for falloff zones. And of course everything that's needed to set up a figure using the new rigging methods.
  • Pre-stretched dynamic cloth
  • "Rope" support in combination with dynamic cloth
  • Animatable cloth dynamics
  • Multiple choreographed groups
  • Better ERC control through the keywords "thisFigure" and "conformingTarget", that will put an end to crosstalk once and for all
  • Dockable palettes
  • More responsive UI
  • Render farms
  • Render to disk
  • Improved reflections/refractions (a "turn reflective at angle xxx" entry would be very nice!)
  • Render large scenes (multicharacter with clothes, dynamic hair and complex environment)
  • "Drop to surface" tool

Nothing new here. These features ahve been requested since Poser 5. Poser 6 was a disappointment when it comes to rigging, setup room and dynamic cloth. Dynamic hair was somewhat improved, but still it's not possible to render a scene with multiple dynamic hair groups without crashing. 

So unless P7 fulfills a significant amount of the wishes listed above, I'm not going to buy it.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

jfike ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 5:02 PM · edited Sun, 15 October 2006 at 5:03 PM

I just looked at the Circuit City advertisement in the Sunday newspaper.  They advertise six notebooks: three are 64 bit dual core and the other three are dual core.  They also advertise five desktops of which four are x64 dual core.

I suspect the companies that want to keep or gain with their customer base will have to provide 64 bit/dual core applications.  Bryce is going to dual core, Carrara already has it, and Lightwave has 32 and 64 bit versions.

stewer ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 5:04 PM

Quote - Improved reflections/refractions (a "turn reflective at angle xxx" entry would be very nice!)

You can do this already since P5. We can discuss details in a separate thread if you're interested.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 6:00 PM

Quote - [...] still it's not possible to render a scene with multiple dynamic hair groups without crashing.

Oh? I must be doing something wrong then since I don't have that problem...

Or am I misunderstanding you? Any "normal" dynamic hair consists of several groups. So are you saying that you can't use those without crashing?

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 6:19 PM

Methinks he speaks of several figures with hair, not the dynamic hair groups on ONE figure.  If I put three characters, naked, save for dynamic hair for each, my machine would burst into flames, if it didn't crash first. LOL :lol:

Sort of another reason why poser has the NVIATWAS syndrome going on.  Program limits the functionality of renders.  One figure, one wardrobe, one set, one light set, or BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH was old then.  It's older now.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 6:30 PM

Joelglaine, you're correct about the several figures with dynamic hair.

With transmapped hair, I can have up to seven or eight figures in a single render. With dynamic hair, the amount is reduced to two, of which only one can have dynamic hair. This is not good.

stewer, I'm highly interested in how to do that reflection angle business in P5/P6. It would definitely help in making more realistic water. Something for the Poser Technical forum?

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 9:09 AM

file_356865.jpg

It might depend on the hair. I recently bought a nifty little tool here in the MP called Dynamic Hair Repair. I had bought a specific hair, and it just wouldn't load. I tried STOMP to fix the obj, but to no avail, the hair wouldn't load. Or rather it would but it took more than one hour to do so (seriously)

After I'd run it through HairRepair, it loads faster than transmapped hair and renders equally fast. I don't know exactely WHAT HairRepair does, but it works. And it takes seconds to fix a hairdo.

And in this case, it's not a problem with POSER but with the specific hair.

I've also noticed that the texture size is much more likely to be the culprit when rendering more than one figure. Lower the texture size and you can render more characters.

My computer, while fairly new, isn't a super computer, for one thing it has "only" 1 gig of ram, and while it has a 64 bit processor, the windows version I'm running doesn't take that into account anyway - yet I still rendered this picture in approximately the same time as it took me to type this post. And I do type with all 10 fingers ;)

Two V3's (Reduced Resolution, but that doesn't matter when they're this far from the camera, and besides, Poser 6's smooth Polygons makes it virtually impossible to tell the difference anyway, two textures, both medium resolution, two sets of clothes and two dynamic hairdos.

And my computer neither smoked nor crashed...

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 12:26 PM

Polygon count is usually not the problem. I've rendered 8 V3s with transmapped hair in one go. Took some time, but it worked.

Texture resolution certainly is a problem. At midrange and long range I always use reduced resolution textures (1024x1024 or 512x512), and I often use V2/M2 for midrange, Posette and Dork for long range figures.

Whenever I try dynamic hair, doesn't matter what model, the number of characters that can be rendered drops dramatically.

By the way, Dynamic Hair Repair only strips out the hairCacheFile entries in a dynamic hair file AFAIK. Which is also easy to accomplish using the free CR2Builder by kim99. The main advantage of Dynamic Hair Repair is its batch mode - it can fix your complete dynamic hair library in one go.

I'm not surprised that STOMP didn't work. STOMP works on facets, and dynamic hair doesn't have facets.

My machines are both quite powerful, one Athlon64 3500+ with 4 GB RAM, and one Athlon64x2 4400 with 4 GB RAM. So the crashes are not due to underpowered machines.

pokeydots ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 2:51 PM

My Computer isn't that old and it says AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core processor??? Is that what you all are talking about?

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.