Mon, Sep 23, 10:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Username Change Feature???

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 7:44 AM

Quote -  

**I work in customer services, I deal with angry customers sometimes every day but it’s not ME the customers are angry at, it’s the company. Similarly, it’s not the admins or the moderators who are under fire here, again it’s the company.

You know, this has been grating at me for 2 days.
Folks here aren't mad at Admin, Mods, or Coords.  Folks are mad at the company.
Just who the hell do you think the "company" is?  Some evil overlords in the dungeons of Nashville, with 3-piece Armani suits, budding horns, and reddish/burnt skin with yellow eyes, plotting each and every move to maximize community pisstitude?
You want to know who the "Company" is?
This is the Company.  That's right.  The very people who are lambasted on an almost daily basis because everyone on Earth is too used to Burger King's "Have It Your Way" mentality. 
Yes, as a company, things are done that individuals might not agree on.  That happens with every company.  And, yes, there are those of us behind the scenes who do raise our voices when things are brought out that we don't agree with.
I currently forgot where I started with my point, as I'm currently being heavily medicated for abdominal pain, and the medicine makes my head foggy.
But, don't, for one second, think that by distancing yourself by saying "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the company" isn't insulting.  We ARE the company.

MS

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 8:00 AM

........oops.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 8:06 AM

oops what, Khai?  I meant every word.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 8:13 AM

back away slowly

I wasn't talking to you...

runs away while still intact

billy423uk ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 8:59 AM

Just who the hell do you think the "company" is?  Some evil overlords in the dungeons of Nashville, with 3-piece Armani suits, budding horns, and reddish/burnt skin with yellow eyes, plotting each and every move to maximize community pisstitude?
This is the Company.  That's right.  The very people who are lambasted on an almost daily basis because everyone on Earth is too used to Burger King's "Have It Your Way" mentality. 
Yes, as a company, things are done that individuals might not agree on.  That happens with every company.  And, yes, there are those of us behind the scenes who do raise our voices when things are brought out that we don't agree with.
I currently forgot where I started with my point, as I'm currently being heavily medicated for abdominal pain, and the medicine makes my head foggy.
But, don't, for one second, think that by distancing yourself by saying "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the company" isn't insulting.  We ARE the company.

MS

nicely said. i know when i complain about the company i usually mean those who like yourself and other admin who i think have cocked up. no good saying anything else. excellent to see you speak your mind. i mean it sincerely when i say i think in the main you all do a good job.

sometimes it's too easy for us to turn a complaint into an attack, i know i've been guilty of it before now.  i think mods and admin (wrongly) have an inherent target on them. we tend to think our complaint gives us rights that don't really exist. we get carried away by our own verbosity. i dare say i'll do it again should the occassion arise but i will think two or three times before i make it personal again. none of you who work here deserve that. nice post morrigan

billy

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 10:55 AM

I remember the time where users would congratulate other users who became mods in here. Well - at that time I was using another account (Didn't change account because I didn't like the username, but I forgot the password :o)

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 11:19 AM

I'm going to chime in one last time since I think I was probably responsible for getting this thread going.

I did object to the $24.95 charge and voiced my objection to the charge but nothing was said against the company or the moderators.  When the decision was made to lower it to $10.00 I applauded the company and the admins for responding to our concerns.  I've not made a post in the thread since then.

I'm seriously disheartened to see what this thread has devolved in to.  It's become nothing more than a Renderosity bash rather than those of us with legitimate concerns voicing those concerns without bashing anyone. 

Please, let's either let this thread die or have one of the admins lock it since it's gotten way out of hand and definitely off the original topic.

Once again, I applaud the admins and company for hearing my original concerns and responding to them appropriately.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 12:14 PM

And, coming around the turn, the thread seems to be in good shape after re-fueling, but-- oh no! it veers sharply to the left, and it looks out of control... no, wait... okay there it goes, back in the lane. But then another sharp turn! And another! Uh oh, it's looking ugly out there... okay, here we come in to the stretch...wait-- what's that? A lemonade can? There's debris on the track! No, the thread swerves, and it's okay! Ooh, that was a bad one... looks like it's going to hit the wall... Wow, what a save! Back in the groove and heading for the line now... I've never seen the crowd this excited! They're on their feet now, screaming, chanting... looks like it's gonna be close... this one's coming down to the wire... it's gonna be a photo-finish...

Uhh... wait, what were we talking about?

billy423uk ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 1:49 PM

Quote - I'm going to chime in one last time since I think I was probably responsible for getting this thread going.

I did object to the $24.95 charge and voiced my objection to the charge but nothing was said against the company or the moderators.  When the decision was made to lower it to $10.00 I applauded the company and the admins for responding to our concerns.  I've not made a post in the thread since then.

I'm seriously disheartened to see what this thread has devolved in to.  It's become nothing more than a Renderosity bash rather than those of us with legitimate concerns voicing those concerns without bashing anyone. 

Please, let's either let this thread die or have one of the admins lock it since it's gotten way out of hand and definitely off the original topic.

Once again, I applaud the admins and company for hearing my original concerns and responding to them appropriately.

i think you started a good thread belle and i still think it's a good thread. i'd say you did a relevant bitch about something that concerned everyone. cos of it you got 15 bucks knocked off the price, no mean feat. i can't see that you did anything wrong or that you attacked anyone personally.  because of you a lot of people are going to save some cash. well done

billy

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 1:56 PM

Thanks, billy. 

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Bea ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 6:58 PM · edited Sat, 11 November 2006 at 6:59 PM

Quote - > Quote -  

**I work in customer services, I deal with angry customers sometimes every day but it’s not ME the customers are angry at, it’s the company. Similarly, it’s not the admins or the moderators who are under fire here, again it’s the company.

MS

I can understand how you feel. but no you are not the company. You are the face of the company that we all see and like. But I don't believe that you are the policy makers or the owners or (correct me if I am wrong) the shareholders.  Those people are the Company they make the rules and set the policies to gain profits and income and then pass those down to other people to carry them out.  And as with any business it is the people carrying out the policy who have to put up with all the flack :(

pearce ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 7:52 PM

Where's the beer at?

Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk.

killa9127 ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 9:57 PM

Quote - "Where's the beer at?"

The "company" took it away from you. You need to pay $25.00 to get more.

Circumvent ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 10:53 AM

I'm missing something here.  Is Rendo charging $25 or is it $10 for this new name changing feature.  When I went to the main page for this new feature, I read that it's for $10.  Am I missing something?
Adrian

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:18 AM

No you aren't missing anything the original price was $24.95 but we have lowered it to $10 that is why the front page says $10.00 now it has been revised.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

killa9127 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:24 AM

Yea its ten bucks but I felt like saying 25

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 1:04 PM

Quote - There are also allegations that Renderosity is staffed by volunteers so Bondware doesn't have to pay employees.

Sorry, your source is completely wrong.  They aren't volunteers, they are Davidson County inmates in a work release program.

Quote - You want to know who the company is?  This is the company.

Some of them look dangerous!  And some are HOT!

Hey, I'm just a dirty old man.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 1:44 PM

file_359334.jpg

First of all **anathandra,** Where do you get off "TELLING" people "Don't Go There"?

Does "You People" hold some sort of sore spot with you?

Perhaps you would have preferred killa9127 said:     [hawkfyr just threw the logic at "You Bitchers" or "You Whiners".]

I, for one, have no problem being a "People"

A lack of understanding about anything posted by the person he quoted (who is sitting next to me and is not me, for anyone who might have weird ideas--I understand there were some weird ideas after the other night) and a total misunderstanding of what the person he quoted was referring too

A lack of understanding?

On who's part? 

There was a statement made in the previous pages that the freebies were being offered by Renderosity. That is what he objected to. Most appear to just be links to the files on the posters' own websites, with Renderosity hosting just an image. Even the bandwidth used to distribute them is being provided by the generous users who choose to offer them. What Renderosity does to support those freebies is almost negligible by comparison, yet they claimed credit for them in this very thread. Does that seem right to you?

What does Renderosity "Do"?...you mean other than providing a platform for the artist to gain exposure to his/her freebie?

Negligible compared to what?I still see no statement made by staff taking credit for other peoples free stuff.

I asked in my first post to be shown where Renderosity claimed credit, yet it's been mentioned by both of you,and neither can seem to show me.

changing the font colors and adding the bold in there was bad netiquette. Actually, unless you're screaming, using them in your own posts like I see him doing is bad netiquette. Makes it hard to read for one. I tend to get an instant headache. Like, say, now.

Uhh..I've been around long enough to know about what is and isn't considered bad netiquette. I've also been around here long enough to know that in a fast moving thread,it's helps to "Separate" quoted comments, from my own. (And I don't mean those italicized quotes that blend into the overall post, and also, doesn't say what member was quoted)

Font colors illustrated "specifically" what part of the quote that is particular to the question or comment that follows.

For example..**Bold text, reflects what "Another" person posted.(**So folks don't have to keep scrolling back to the original) 

The colored font points out a particularly stupid comment, or draws attention to that which is being addressed.

And just to educate you on netiquette, "ALL CAPS" is screaming,...not bold text.

For one thing, he proved no point whatsoever

I'm not surprised  to read this, some folks wouldn't get the point if it was jabbed into thier jugular vein.

But just for you, I'll try

srnichols said: "WE are doing work for THEM and the vendors. Maybe the staff members at Renderosity need to be reminded of that."

It comes down to this: The membership here are not the only ones "Doing the work". My Post tried to "illustrate (Not ""Prove a Point,as you seem to think was my intent) that, The Staff, does a tremendous amount of work to provide this FREE resource, and "Maybe the members need to be reminded of that"

"Other places make name changes free because all you really should have to do is make one field change in a database. In other places, that user name field is editable by the users after signup. Just like addresses and email addresses are and other information that is subject to change. It's a simple bit of code to put that field in the profile settings. The size of the user base is irrelevant. All it comes down to is the way the database is structured. If it is not structured in a way that will allow this...if it is not normalized and cleanly coded, I mean...then it is a bad database and in need of serious overhaul"

So...are you saying you know exactly how Bondware is set up? Are we again blessed to have among us one who knows all about a proprietary software that exists nowhere else but here?

Bad Database

Being insulted and misrepresented.

Renderosity taking credit for everyone's stuff.

Tell me..what keeps you two here?

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 1:45 PM

Captain Jack Said:

"And, coming around the turn, the thread seems to be in good shape after re-fueling, but-- oh no! it veers sharply to the left, and it looks out of control... no, wait... okay there it goes, back in the lane. But then another sharp turn! And another! Uh oh, it's looking ugly out there... okay, here we come in to the stretch...wait-- what's that? A lemonade can? There's debris on the track! No, the thread swerves, and it's okay! Ooh, that was a bad one... looks like it's going to hit the wall... Wow, what a save! Back in the groove and heading for the line now... I've never seen the crowd this excited! They're on their feet now, screaming, chanting... looks like it's gonna be close... this one's coming down to the wire... it's gonna be a photo-finish..."

LMFAO...I nearly Spewed that "Hard" Lemonade you gave me earlier, all over my desk.

Phunnie Stuph Man.

8 )

Tom

modus0 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 2:41 PM

Is it time for a dead horse picture yet, or should people (Oh No! I'm generalizing! :rolleyes:) aim for another 8 pages?

Me? I'm glad Renderosity is making available a feature to allow people who aren't satisfied with their name to change it, my only gripe was the 24.95 price tag.

But, since they've dropped the price to $10, I don't have a problem. Of course, I'll never take advantage of the feature, but at 10 dollars 'rosity should be experiencing less griping about price than $25 (but that'd kill people's [Gasp! Generalizing AGAIN!] reasons to gripe) while still limiting abuse to the feature.

Does Renderosity always do what any percentage of the membership wants? No.
Does Renderosity sometimes implement changes that make people go WTF? Yes, along with every other business in the world.
Does Renderosity sometime listen to the members and work to make them happy? Yes.
Does the staff at Renderosity want everyone to be happy? Of course, that's a goal I think every business has to some degree.
Do things happen that aren't planned that cause problems with the site? Of course, it's built on complicated code, there are bound to be problems, and fixing them has a potential to cause more.
Should we give Renderosity some slack, and not nitpick every little thing to death? Yeah, after all, they could decide to handle the entire site like Content Paradise handles their support forums.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 3:15 PM

file_359356.jpg

** LOL! I couldn't resist! Hey don't laugh at me (*it's freehand) OK,Just asking...are we NOT complaining about the cost now? Is this now a definitive rant about sepretism(*sp?) and oversexed Romans?** **HuggerZ! Ariana**

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

killa9127 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 3:25 PM

Uhhhh right.......nice horse ^^

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 4:52 PM

People called romani they go the house.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 5:22 PM

i missed responding with the rest  overwhelming responses to this offer in the origial thread, and must say I wouldn't pay a dime to change my username. Its been daveso since the beginning, and then how would anyone know who I am ?

hmmmmmm.....pay for a username change? Someone should learn how to program the php site. I ran one for awhi;le, its possible to change it yourself. Why would someone want to abuse this feature?

I think I'll change my name everyday so no one knows who I am...hey go for it...who cares?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:16 PM

file_359375.gif

You mean his One?

Khai ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:33 PM

thank god for adblock... that image was truely sick.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:38 PM

Personally, I feel ripped-off.
Not about the usernamechangethingy, but because, dammit, I paid good money just to be here in this thread...

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:43 PM

Quote - You mean his One?

LMAO!

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:45 PM

Quote - **
LOL! I couldn't resist! Hey don't laugh at me (it's freehand) OK,Just asking...are we NOT complaining about the cost now? Is this now a definitive rant about sepretism(sp?) and oversexed Romans?
HuggerZ!
Ariana

LOL!  I think we're talking about submissive, sex-crazed Roman horses now!  :)

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 9:18 PM

Flickr.com has over 5 million users in it's system.  You have always been able to have a free 200 image account there and always there has been a free inbuilt option to change displayed user name any time you like. The changes are tracked and displayed on user profiles, thus a user cannot hide the fact that they have changed their username, but it is free. 

Username changes should be free here as well. Disappointing Renderosity.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 9:25 PM · edited Sun, 12 November 2006 at 9:36 PM

Quote - Flickr.com has over 5 million users in it's system.  You have always been able to have a free 200 image account there and always there has been a free inbuilt option to change displayed user name any time you like. The changes are tracked and displayed on user profiles, thus a user cannot hide the fact that they have changed their username, but it is free. 

Username changes should be free here as well. Disappointing Renderosity.

What happens when you go over 200 images?  Spend money, or delete?

EDIT: Oh, I found out for myself.  For $24.95/year (where have I seen this number before?) you get 2 gigs of bandwidth each month and no Yahoo ads.

No thanks, I'll stick to free.  And is $10 really an issue for you?  Were you planning on changing your name here?  If not, why bash the site?  Just to join the mob or what?  If Flickr is so great, why are you posting here?

Rockdog ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 10:41 PM

Well, said Anna... 
                  Now, I think I just about seen it all..  this is so funny...   What next.. HUM....     where is the real justification...
u can tell us...

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:09 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

and fucker.come has lots of people having sex and sperting everywhere with all their dangly bits hanging out...does that mean that rendo should do the same. sorry but compairing sites (even sites that show a similar media)is a flawed arguement. this is rendo and flcker is flicker. they're run differently and are probably as different as chalk and cheese. if every site was the same we'd probaly only have one 3d site on the net. jmo.

billy

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:13 PM

Perhaps you would have preferred killa9127 said:     [hawkfyr just threw the logic at "You Bitchers" or "You Whiners".]

i would have tom, i love when women talk nasty to me lmao. all i can say about the coloured fonts...you have way to much time on your hands.  i can't even take time out to sort out my spelling and paragraphs. (the way you set it out does i admit make for easier reading

billy

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 1:02 AM

"you have way to much time on your hands."

Not really...Keyboard shortcuts are the trick. (Ctrl+B, Ctrl+I, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+V, etc.)

I compose everything in Outlook anyway, use it's tools, (And spell-checker), then copy and paste it into the reply box here at Rosity after I refresh the page.

I refresh the page in case someone has replied during my reply composition and I have something to add (or subtract). Another reason is to make sure the page didn't "Time Out" on me during that time either.

Come to think of it,I'll have to bitch and whine about that "Time Out" thing one of these days. Billy and Terra...Would you'z Guyz remind me to bitch about that, lest I have a non-bitchy day and forget?

Thanks....I knew I could count on you.

8 )

Tom

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 2:41 AM

i can't compete with that tom.

i'm terrible at remembering shortcut keys. when i try and go that way i always end up pressing six before i get the right one. you've already won 1 com award, let someone else have a go cos it ain't bitchin fair

billy

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 3:07 AM

file_359391.jpg

Well...I confess...I do it mostly for the spell checker.

dasquid ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 5:08 AM

file_359403.jpg

Thats rosity for you, bitchers bitching about bitchers bitching about bitchers bitching about something that usually gets lost in all the bitching in the thread.

Cerberus cat can't believe the bitching in this thread

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 6:24 AM

imo, paying to change your usename is about the most ridiculous thing I've seen from a site in quite some time. Maybe a person should think about the name they sign up with, and then live with it....or, as on most sites, there is a free way to do it. Yikes. always money grubbing trying to eck out every damn shilling possible.

yeah..there's overhead, but that's rendos problem if they don't have feature rich software, or whomever programmed the crap to work this way. Make em waste their time until its fixed like most user friendly sites.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 9:39 AM

The original topic of this thread was about the username change price, we listened to all the suggestions made in this thread and made the decision to lower the price.  This has been discussed, ran a little off track, back to being discussed and so on.  I really feel there is no more productive discussion going on around the original topic so I'm asking that we move past this and please let this thread die out without taking anymore of a personal turn.

I don't want to lock it but its really not being productive at this time.

Chippsyann ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 10:19 AM

Thank you all for your input, but now we must close down this thread..

“I think 5000 + hits is more then enough for one post”

And since I am the originator of this thread I must ask:

“Please StaceyG, if you would do us the honor of locking this thread down”  

Okay folks, shows over…nothing else to see or do here. Please return to your homes, shows over.  

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 13 November 2006 at 10:30 AM

Locking thread per request of original poster

Thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.