Tue, Oct 1, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Reason 7?

Dorie0924 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 6:12 PM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 4:10 PM

What do you guys think will be? lets see who's guess is right or the closest. What ever it is should be the best one. can't wait.

tastiger ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 6:29 PM

Reason 7 - because it is available Now!

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 9:44 PM

No, it's "Because you are addicted and NEED YOUR FIX!"

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 9:57 PM

Reason #7:  "Because you will become a social outcast and wont have a clue what everyone is talking about after it is released."

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

jt411 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 10:01 PM

Reason 7: Poser 7 ships with a free Playstation 3!

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 10:01 PM

IF... there are 7 Reasons for getting P7... will there be 8 Reasons for P8... and so on..?

Sheesh.... when we get to P52 it will take a whole year after it is announced until it ships  :crying:

donquixote ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 11:09 PM

Reason 7: The long and eagerly awaited and much requested 'Make Art' button.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 11:23 PM

We already have the "Make Art Button." It's in PhilC's poser toolbox, if I remember correctly. But it might be one of his other python scripts.

Reason 7, a hair growth replacement cream for the first few months of use until you have learned enough to stop pulling your hair.

donquixote ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 12:06 AM

Quote - We already have the "Make Art Button." It's in PhilC's poser toolbox, if I remember correctly. But it might be one of his other python scripts.

Okay, a new and improved 'Make Art' button then, and built in.

Or maybe far more extensive integration with Vue?

Quote - Reason 7, a hair growth replacement cream for the first few months of use until you have learned enough to stop pulling your hair.

Too late for that for me.  I needed that about 25+ years ago, when everyone I met kept asking me what the heck I or anyone else could ever possibly use a PC for. (Sheesh, I really just wanted a word-processor. If I'd understood then the market implications of what I knew in those days, I would've invested every penny I could earn, beg or borrow, and would be a very rich man today ...)

jfbeute ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 12:28 AM

Quote - "IF... there are 7 Reasons for getting P7... will there be 8 Reasons for P8... and so on..? Sheesh.... when we get to P52 it will take a whole year after it is announced until it ships."

By then they will have a new marketing system. You pay up front and get each feature as a separate patch as it is announced, that way they can fix the big blunders during the release and sell them as new features (so only about 30 real new features are required, together with 22 enhancements that were promised earlier but didn't work out as promised).

Shortly after fully releasing everything in P52 they will abandon this numbering scheme and release a new version every week, the new releases are probably free of charge but compatibility will be a problem so you'll have to pay for conversion (every week). You work on something and it doesn't work, file a bug report, get the next version (pay for conversion), the problem is fixed but of course something else is broken now and start all over again.

donquixote ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 1:38 AM

Quote - Sheesh.... when we get to P52 it will take a whole year after it is announced until it ships  :crying:

By P52, if man is still alive ... if woman can survive ... we may find ....

... the computers designing themselves and writing all the software and making all the entertainments including all the art, and our role, if the computers deign to tolerate us, just to be dazzled by it all.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 1:56 AM

Hoping it's going to be basic poly performance, because I have a pretty horsey PC and Poser 6 still runs like a dog.

My Freebies

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 1:58 AM · edited Thu, 23 November 2006 at 1:59 AM

and... if we do survive.. we will prolly be complaining about V68's nostril glow in holographic mode...

and the fact that... her breasts don't 'feel' quite right in reality mode

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 2:05 AM

Speculation tends to be a rather fruitless pursuit, but here goes anyway: Possibly something like the Explorer Window  Library plugin as a now built in feature to aid in ease of use in finding all those figures, props, and pose files.  If it can also see jpg, tif, and gif files besides just the png icons, that would be VERY good.
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 2:08 AM

The ability to handle sub divided geometries from those modelling proggies that have it... without having to convert them and trebling the poly count for use in Poser

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 2:11 AM · edited Thu, 23 November 2006 at 2:14 AM

mmm.... holographic display mode and... smellovision and feelievision modes so that when you want to morph V3's breasts... you just poke at them on the screen....  🤤

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 3:19 AM

Holographic display mode will be a hands on only function. It will be like molding clay but have the soft feel and look of silicon. Neuron sensors will be an optional plug that will cost extra.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 3:39 AM

Why isn't that mainstream yet?  We're supposed to be using datagloves dammit.  That would make things so much easier, if you could just naturally grab, twist, pull, whatever.

That sounds a bit dirty, doesn't it.

My Freebies

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 3:41 AM

Reason #7 will be a surprise Alan Alda figure ....

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 3:56 AM

Where the heck IS reason #7 anyway..? Isn't it a little overdue...?

xen ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 4:11 AM

Quote - Where the heck IS reason #7 anyway..? Isn't it a little overdue...?

They started being late last week. Clearly they don't want too much time between the last reason and the release, so they invented the 8 day week. It seems they are not quite ready yet.

It is turkey-day in the US, so I hope they don't slip it until next week.

I will try to keep a grip on my impatience, because the only think I hate more than waiting for stuff is getting the stuff when it is full of bugs.

The last reason should be a firework of mouthwatering promises to drive P7 into the carts of the last few ditherers. Still not addressed are:

1. Content Management
  2. Rigging
  3. Clothes
  4. Hair
  5. Physics

In this order of likelyhood (IMHO).

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 4:20 AM

In a way... I hope they do delay the shipping date a little... at least until after the end of this month... so that peeps... including myself... have this month's pay cheque in the bank.

mmm.. thought of another reason #7... some packages come with free t-shirts... as this is a 007 Bond type package... maybe its a life size Daniel Craig blow-up doll.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 5:09 AM

Reason #7 is bound to be "it's available right now"

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

eecir ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 6:13 AM

Anything to do with 'rigging' will probably encourage me to buy  - rigging has just got to be made easier to do than it is at the moment.

Dorie0924 ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 7:25 PM

I would like something to make the material room more interesting.

modus0 ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 9:54 PM

I'm hoping for either simply a better Library navigation setup, or that integrated into a new interface.

Anyone want to share a hookah? :lol:

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

obm890 ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 11:33 PM · edited Thu, 23 November 2006 at 11:35 PM

I'm being really optimistic. I think reason 7 is something really cutting-edge. Like FULL support for a 3 button mouse? Or... gasp... one of the newfangled mice with a scroll wheel? 

Just imagine being able to scroll in the Heirarchy editor..., or zoom with the wheel.
Just imagine right-clicking on a figure and having meaninful stuff pop up in a context menu. Stuff like "Turn off IK". I shouldn't be ungrateful, I guess we do currently have "Toon Tones" and "SreeD" right there at our fingertips in one of P6's only context menu... very handy.... anyone ever used 'em?

I'm all for backward compatibility, and I know there are still folk out there who uses a one button mouse (pushing it with both hands, no doubt), but I think it's time they entered the new milennium. A 3-button mouse with a scrollwheel costs around 10 bucks.

Wraith ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 11:50 PM

I am pulling for Weight maps... 

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 12:02 AM

so there's no 7% solution yet..;)

mebbe it's a 'coordinate wardrobe', so you get shoes, clothes, unmentionables, etc., in distinct categories (so you don't stare at a topless Vickie and a long line of cryptic names under figures..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 2:05 AM

Wraith wrote:  *I am pulling for Weight maps...

• What are weigth maps?:blink::blink::blink:

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

DRACONIAN ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 4:59 AM

Weight maps are basically a selection set of Polys that ususally work with hypernurbs cages(Subdivision object) or bones in high end apps. it's helps to restrict the action of the HN or Bones to specific zones on your mesh. And you usualy just paint the zones diretly on the mesh with brush set at different strengths... There's something remotely similar already in Poser: In the Cloth room you can assign points to "Constraint zones", etc... ;-) Markus

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 5:05 AM

Weight maps are a method of adding a layer of interaction between a figure's armature and the 'skin' mesh that, while adding a layer of complexity (well actually two layers, as the app has to support micropoly subdivision), could also solve problems like the breaking joints issue (of course if the maps are done poorly, the problems could be worse...). The maps are 'drawn' onto the geometry; well, as an example, take the knee. With a weight map, what you would do is bend the knee to its natural limit, then use weightmapping to draw the joint fold as it should look at that point. Save and associate, and if the mapping is done correctly, you get a smoothly folding joint with no mesh breakage and realistic deformation through the arc of the bend.

Orio ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 8:02 AM

A flesh-and-blood, real life sized version of Aiko 3 to materialize in your studio when your wife/girlfriend isn't at home. Can use morphs and textures of your choice  ;-)

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 8:08 AM

I'm with the "It's now available" crowd. The seven reasons are why we should "get Poser 7", so I think it makes sense for e-Frontier to have a "Ta-Da!" moment with their last reason 😄

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 11:11 AM · edited Fri, 24 November 2006 at 11:11 AM

So in other words, weigth maps adds more flexibility to the skin. That would realy an approvement, Ive made some poses where the skin of one limb pokes literaly to the other. I know there are some workarounds with jcm-bend morphs or with magnets, but that's always a lot of work and often doesn't give the required results. So if it isn't in issue 7., it has to be on the wishlist for 8 (I think it would be lttle too late to add it now) Thanks for the replies.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 1:18 PM

I'm inclined to think that weight maps are too radical a feature. It's pretty obvious that a lot of work has been done on the interna;ls to support multiple cores, and escape the memmory-hog nature of earlier versions. And these changes were needed, IMHO, to keep Poser worthwhile when Vista comes out. From the programmming POV, there's some major effort in that. But then it occurs to me that they're a sort of displacement map, with the effect varied with joint position: a sort of displacement map equivalent of a JCM. And if that is what they are, would a more versatile programmming system to link parameters would be the general case. Think about this: the ability to have something more complicated than a simple multiplier to link a morph to another parameter. Perhaps the morph doesn't go negative, and the starting-point is offset from the zero-point of the controlling parameter. And if you can do that to the displacement value applied to a specific material, you don't need a high-polygon count around a joint for such things as tendons. Yes, that's a rigging iumprovement, and it could be horribly complicated to set up well. And there's one other area where there are possibilities. People are, to some degree, squidgy. Prod them, and the surface changes shape. Think what a system to handle that could do--collide and deform.

StevieG1965 ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 1:53 PM

Quote - In a way... I hope they do delay the shipping date a little... at least until after the end of this month... so that peeps... including myself... have this month's pay cheque in the bank.

mmm.. thought of another reason #7... some packages come with free t-shirts... as this is a 007 Bond type package... maybe its a life size Daniel Craig blow-up doll.

ROFL!! I'd buy that at full price! 🤤

xen ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 2:54 PM

Quote -   Bond type package... maybe its a life size Daniel Craig blow-up doll.

Just saw the new Bond movie. Daniel Craig was great. Why do you want  to blow him up?

😉

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 2:58 PM

Quote - Just saw the new Bond movie. Daniel Craig was great. Why do you want  to blow him up?😉

Sure they meant up? Oops... did I say that out loud?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 3:13 PM · edited Fri, 24 November 2006 at 3:13 PM

Some would just blow...

I don't think Reason 7 is anything that would make the existing Poser characters obsolete - like a changed rigging or weightmaps or softbody dynamics. Well PERHAPS softbody dynamics. Something vaguely like the clothroom where you could make bodyparts squishy and bouncy.

I think it's unlikely to see something like PoserPhysics built in. Why should they? They're already SELLING it as a separate program at CP... Why cut the branch they're sitting on?

And while I think 3-button mouse support would be awesome (and highly needed) - I don't think that e-Frontier would consider that cutting edge enough to make it the final reason. It's gotta be something major. Though it may not be something everybody would feel was needed. They've catered a lot for animators in this version, so I have a feeling it's going to be something more in that route. Something animators will go SQUEEE over and everybody else will stand, mouths agape and say "was that IT?!"

Though with the new morphing tools, it COULD be something like basic modeling tools right inside Poser. Something along the line of WeirdJuice's metaform perhaps?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

xen ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 3:50 PM

Hmm. Interesting reasoning TG.

The last reason has to be the deal closer, i.e. it has to be bigger than the rendering enhancements and it has to appeal to everyone, not just animators, to avoid the situation you describe. I guess it could actually be several reasons lumped into the last release to really make an impact.

Content management is a no brainer, but this can't be the main reason, because this is more useful for CP. If they don't make installing and managing extra content easier they hurt their own profits.

Modelling tools inside Poser would just annoy everyone. They want you to use Shade anyway. (I prefer Silo.)

Rigging is the single most common user complaint as far as I am aware.

Your wobbly body dynamic sounds good. How would that work? Would each material get a wibble value with blend zones in between? Would that improve joint bending?
I guess the easier implementation would be a wibble map, like a bump map. Black means rock hard and white means very wobbly.

The easiest thing to implement would be to make dynamic cloth easy to use.

I am really curious.

philebus ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 4:57 PM

I don't think that weight mapping would have to make old models obsolete. After all, Carrara converts Poser figures to it's weight mapped rigging, conforming clothes and all. If Poser's rigging were updated, there is every possibility that it could do the same.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that we will see weight mapping this time around - a lot of time and fuss has been made about the new rigging method for the G2 figures that uses magnets coded in the cr2 instead of JCMs. Just my feeling anyway.

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 4:57 PM

The thing is that weightmapping wouldn't neccesarily render older meshes useless. The examples I've seen all involved a figure mesh with a boning system similar to what Poser has. If the maps were missing, or didn't have an entry in the cr2 then Poser should ignore it, and you have the kind of figure we have now. But. This would open a new area for vendors; weightmap upgrades for older meshes. It would take some mondo surgery and juggling with things like Morph Manager and CR2Edit, but it -could- be possible. Actually, weightmaps would be easier to implement that softbody would. There would have to be a defining of gravity, collision physics, mass, and elasticity. Or some kind of shape limiting scheme to prevent things like an uber-boob getting a good sideways swing and wrapping around the bod.....or deflating and dragging the ground. Literally.

kinggoran ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 5:41 PM · edited Fri, 24 November 2006 at 5:42 PM

My wishes for reason 7 would either be soft body dynamics implemented as described by xen,
 with a "wibble map".
Or an option to move the cloth simulation out of the cloth room, calculating the cloth deformation after each change in pose. Keeping this optional would be important, as it would probably not run very well on older systems.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 5:58 PM · edited Fri, 24 November 2006 at 6:05 PM

Dale B wrote : *It would take some mondo surgery and juggling with things like Morph Manager and CR2Edit, but it -could- be possible.

*Perhaps I did understand it wrong but is a weight-map something that would be applied to the surface like a map (as the word says) similar to displacements-maps or bump-maps, so you still can use your old meshes and don't have to alter the morphs and apply the weigth-maps in the material-room like all the other maps. But like I said I could be wrong...

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 6:36 PM

Boy, that soft-body sounds like a great idea, but in the end I really doubt it.   I never get what I wish for. lol.

I really suspect there will be something to do with the dynamic cloth and hair.  They haven't mentioned them yet, it's an improvement appeals to animators (and I'm with TG that they have been going after the animation side big time) and since this is e-frontier's first crack at really re-writing the code, I suspect they won't leave those areas untouched.

But, being a negativist who has already pre-purchased it sight unseen, I suspect it's going to be something I could care less about like improved working with Vue or Shade or whatever they are trying to push to get further sales.

Whatever it is, I am tired of waiting and I want it now!

moogal ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, weight maps.  Preferably weight maps that double as soft body maps.  Some of the above things have been addressed already.  I think the 3 level search will make library management easier, or less important.  I'm not sure about the subdivision thing though, but I thought the displacement mapping+smoothing was how people used Poser with zBrush.  Not sure about improving the poly response (preview or render?) as the previews work well on my athlon 1900+, and the improvements to rendering time have been mentioned already.  So, yeah, better joints/rigging is my top choice. 

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 9:20 PM

Quote - Dale B wrote : *It would take some mondo surgery and juggling with things like Morph Manager and CR2Edit, but it -could- be possible.

*Perhaps I did understand it wrong but is a weight-map something that would be applied to the surface like a map (as the word says) similar to displacements-maps or bump-maps, so you still can use your old meshes and don't have to alter the morphs and apply the weigth-maps in the material-room like all the other maps. But like I said I could be wrong...

That is one possible method, yes. I was going on the assumption that adding weightmaps to -older- meshes would most likely require the obj to be exported as a single welded mesh, then morphs and such being transferred from the original via the mentioned utilities, then the maps applied.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 9:22 PM

Weight maps are not that far fetched. Shade has it., so, If not this version I would not be surprised to see it in the next.

"But, being a negativist who has already pre-purchased it sight unseen, I suspect it's going to be something I could care less about like improved working with Vue or Shade or whatever they are trying to push to get further sales."

Now both Vue and Shade work well with Poser, which a big number of us are happy about, but I don't think that would be the Big reason 7. Maybe a sub reason on the tail end like with every reason has so far. Reason 7 should be something that everyone that uses poser can take advantage of. Doesn't mean it will be. Did P6 have a good final reason or was it a dud. It was so long ago, I can't remember, which is not a good thing when people can't remember what the final and biggest reason was.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Fri, 24 November 2006 at 11:06 PM

Oh, don't worry, I'm not knocking Shade and Vue users, I was being selfish in that statement as I spent all my 3D application cash on Carrara 5, Bryce (Yeah, purchase 5 when it cost a lot, but at least I got 6 for cheap) and Hexagon (hey, a buck ninety-nine is a buck ninety-nine!)

Actually, I've seen such great renders out of Vue I'm kinda kicking myself.

But, I have to agree the last reason should be something all users can rejoice about.  I'm still thinking it might have something to do with dynamic whatevers, though.

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 25 November 2006 at 1:00 AM · edited Sat, 25 November 2006 at 1:03 AM

Weight Maps are a nifty way to make a model work with a skeleton without the pesky need to split the object into groups. Instead of cutting the object, naming the parts,naming the bones, and then grouping the bones to the parts they match all you have to do is name the bones, bind the solid mesh to the skeleton and then paint in how much each bone effects the area surrounding it. Or at least, that's how it worked the last time I looked...'

oops, didn't realize that there was a second page chock full of wieght map info. Feel free to ignore this posty. :)

I'm personally hoping number 7 is a set of Ginsu knives but I know it isn't. :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.