Tue, Oct 22, 3:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: V4 & the Ugly Tree

carodan ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 11:10 AM

Quote - *'I can't understand how people can tell if someone "steals" their original mesh - ex. Apollo vs. whoever. GND vs Umotov. Can someone explain?'

*I don't know the ins and outs about recognising mesh infringements either. But I don't think this is what a few other posters have been referring to. I have also recognised specific similarities in the overall design, functionality and feel of V4 compared to Apollo (beyond them both being Poser/DS human figures - well, duh!) . But it isn't a mesh issue.

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

BelleStudio ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 11:56 AM

Quote - i don't know if it's just me but from what i've seen so far, V4 really fell out of the ugly tree and hit quite a few branches. When she first came out, i was really excited and some of the packages for her are nice enough, but the more i see of her in the galleries and compared to V3, she's a real dog. Her body reminds me of Miki (ie. a stumpy boyish figure that's overdosed on steriods) but seeing as i always do portraits, i don't really care that much, it's her face that isn't pretty. i know in time more morph packs and merchants producing characters for her will help and eventually i will have no choice cause everyone will be using her, but at the moment i'm really not convinced enough to bother purchasing her and i think i might just stick with V3 and A3. So does anyone else feel the same or am i alone here?

YOU ARE NOT ALONE ! LOL! I will stick to V3, A3 and Miki ;)

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 12:21 PM

As much as I hate to concede, after reading the threads and looking at various products for V4 and Sydney, I'm going to give DAZ their ransom and buy V4. Sydney is another niche model, fine if you want your women to all look like Sydney in makeup. (And it didn't help that CP is promoting Sydney as some sort of Kill Bill/Femme Nikita bitch. There are times, in PoserLand, when I feel like I've wandered into a pre-teen sex orgy....)

Versatility was the decider for me. I have yet to see a figure (Judy comes closest, but she has other problems) that doesn't give away its origins no matter how thoroughly anyone but a master morpher tries. V4 has a truly malleable facial mesh; just the images in this thread demonstrate that.

As for ugly/not ugly -- I can't think of a more trivial issue. Beauty, contrary to the claims of California Aryan "science," is just a flavor of the month. What makes a face live is character, emotional depth, and intelligence, not proportions and skin texture. Some of the most "beautiful" women in fine art would be "butt ugly" in our self-important usage, if they came to life.

M

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 6:12 PM

Another benefit of waiting sceptically on V4 is that I realized in time that the so-called "Pro" version I was weighing against the worthless $29.00 PC membership is no bargain unless you are NOT a pro. Who needs a couple bunches of conforming hair, a handful of "characters,"  some DAZ-style mediocre texture maps, and a handful of Disneyworld sexy outfits when you've got P6, much less P7, to  produce stuff yourself and adapt perfectly good items you already have?  Plus trusting PhilC to do a V4 plugin for WW any day now.

The "deal" is  V4 Complete,  which is the minimum anyone would need to make the figure reasonably usable out of the box. (As I said elsewhere, buying the Base makes about as much sense as buying a car with no tires, steering wheel, or windshield. A little too Heathkit for my taste.) That's $34, with about $10 off but a net of $55 if you get a PC membership. That leaves me down $20. "Pro" costs $77 net, and I'll never use any of it but the High Res textures, and that's iffy.

So I'll just buy her and be done with it. Those of you who didn't pillage the PC during the Hex debacle will undoubtedly find $20 worth of stuff to justify the membership. Go with my blessings.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:32 PM

It looks like DAZ is using osmosis to get ideas for morph names from me. Let me tell you, you haven't seen anything yet; try figuring out what a morph named "frog softener" does ;p

RAMWorks ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:51 PM

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Natolii ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 10:42 PM · edited Sun, 17 December 2006 at 10:43 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57262

file_362851.jpg

The Great Poser Bending Test

And me playing around with v4

It's called mixing and matching packages, though the Body shape is something I dialed up.

Caly ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:21 PM

file_362969.jpg

The eyes are tricky. I find I have to darken the whites and dim the corneas/tear sections or get rid of the tear part entirely. Eye reflections do help.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Spanki ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:48 PM

Personally, I think the tear adds a lot to the believability of the eyes... go to the bathroom and look in the mirror for a while.. roll your head around to different angle in the light :).  Of course too much, like all things, can be too much.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:01 AM

Yeah, it's just a bit intense with the default settings in some situations.  Many of the promo pics it looks like she's been peeling onions right before the pic was taken.  I think it's a really nice effect when it's appropriate, easy enough to tone it down a bit from materials room.

My Freebies

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:44 AM

Hex debacle?

Lucie ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:04 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1347718

I made a quick render of V4 a couple of days ago, almost out of the box, I only used one of the character presets (Lisa) on her with the dial set at between 0.5 and 0.6, the texture is V4's Standard...  I don't think she looks that ugly at all even if she hasn't been morphed all that much.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:56 AM

What is beautiful and what is not can't really be discussed. Some thing Posette is the most beautiful female in Poser, some prefer V3, some V4 and some even SP3, whom I personally think is so ugly she almost makes Judy look handsome (BTW Does ANYONE think Judy is pretty?)

The thing is, it's not about how the default look is, but what you can do with it. And since I've been doing quite a lot of face morphs, I think I can say this with some authority: V4's facial mesh is a DREAM to morph. Sure, I use an external program for it, but nevertheless, it's a lovely mesh and it's easy to make it look nothing like the default.

And THAT is what counts to me. I've never had much luck (despite numerous attempts) to make Posette look like anything other than Posette - I can make her look like different posettes but there's something abut her that almost always give her away. But V4, I've already managed to make her look quite different from her original self.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

mimefromhell ( ) posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 9:31 PM

file_363551.jpg

V4 ugly? Hardly...a couple/few things that helped me though: painting darker eyebrows and using the phenome freebie (you'd be suprised at how those two things help IMO to bring out a character).  The character in the pic is all dial-spinning and lighting otherwise (no magnets or anything else).  I can't wait for DAZ to come out with some add'l muscle, ethnicity and creature morphs though so I can REALLY see what sorts of creations are possible. :thumbupboth:

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 2:37 AM

Wow!   That's quite an image.  What a bod, what a tan, what a look.  She's purty for sure!! 😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

iggy23 ( ) posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 2:14 PM

default V4 isn't ugly by a longshot... the difference between her and V3 is like the difference between V3 and posette. Infact, the default (as seen on the V4 product page @ Daz) look a lot like my friend Ruth. And she isn't ugly either :p

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... but a default V4 render is sure prettier to look at than a default V3 render. (2c)

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 3:03 PM

So true!! 😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

ccotwist3D ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 11:28 AM · edited Tue, 26 December 2006 at 11:32 AM

file_363678.jpg

Here is a screen capture of a test render for Holly, a custom-morphed character I gave away at Faeries Wylde for the solstice, and Christmas. V4 can be young and cute too. Click to see the full-sized image, as it appears slightly blurry here. I have lots of plans for V4 characters.

Sebastian

RAMWorks ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 3:50 PM

Very cute indeed!!  😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

mimefromhell ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 8:19 PM

Quote - Here is a screen capture of a test render for Holly, a custom-morphed character I gave away at Faeries Wylde for the solstice, and Christmas. V4 can be young and cute too. Click to see the full-sized image, as it appears slightly blurry here.
I have lots of plans for V4 characters.

Sebastian

Nicely done; and that's what I find so nice about V4: the versatily.  It's still early in the game for the model and I've already seen a good deal of variety in what folks can do with her.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 9:15 PM

Yep, a very fine Poser figure, very flexible and configurable.

My Freebies

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 10:11 PM

Quote - i'm asking for opinions about V4 before forking out $40 for her, not how ugly your dog is.

Here is my opinion. I don't use poser, to confusing for my old brain 😄
After loading v3 and v4 into Daz Studio and using the same face morph on her along with the same top, which by the way were both for v3 I have decided i will not bother with v4 until 1: the price drops on the bundle product, 2: i find some way of using the clothing/morphs/hair i have for v3 on her with out having to spend an hour just to get a top to fit.

As for looks well the morphs are what gives v3,v4,steph,aiko,laura,hiro,m3 and so on their looks, for the standard model v4 looks ok.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 10:29 PM

How did you get a V3 face morph onto V4?  They're a completely different mesh, I'd expect it wouldn't load?

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.