Tue, Sep 24, 6:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: What is this "Friends" thing and how does it work?

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 2:01 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 4:11 AM

Okay..have seen it in other forums, ignored it...now I have "requests" here, and I okay'ed them... but even the friends asking me don't know what it is for or how it works.... Seems to me to have this sort of thing displayed is a "popularity contest" or something and makes no sense to me... 

OR is it a faster way to click my friends and send a message ? I did not try clicking on the avatar of the two I accepted... but I also could see my site mail filling up with duplicate requests "spamming me" until I accepted or declined. ....

and what if I want to decline? What does that mean? I do NOT want to insult anyone and so then if one accepts all it could get to be a very cluttered space - ANOTHER way to just take up image bandwidth or something? 

Sorry but too many bells and whistles gets a bit irritating... Don't get me wrong, this is my FAVORITE site and shopping place... but... help?

Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Unicornst ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 2:49 PM

**It seems to be a fast and easy way to contact the friend. Clicking on their avatar takes you to their homepage where you can click on CONTACT and send them site mail.

I can't say what would happen if you declined it, but approving it puts you on their list and them on your list at the same time.

Hopes this helps some.**

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 3:12 PM

okay... tested with friend and I "declined" to see what would happen on my friend's end... nothing happed on that end BUT I GOT ANOTHER REQUEST FOR SAME FRIEND THAT I JUST DECLINED!! So the system is "auto-spamming" my site mail! I understand there are issues with this part of the site, so for now will just report and be patient.

Lyne

Unicornst ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 3:17 PM

**Well, you know some things just can't no for an answer. lol

Not to be making light of it, but couldn't resist either. Hopefully, someone (meaning admin or mod) will drop in on this and report that it should be fixed if it's not taking no for an answer.**

Angelsinger ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 4:34 PM

I saw a request from someone asking if we will be able to sort our friends in alphabetical order. I would like this. I cannot rank people I like, but it feels like I would be doing that if I had to put a number by the name.

scanmead ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 5:12 PM

I left mine all set at "99" and they are appearing in alphabetical order, so it must default to that. Wonder if just deleting the request without approving or declining would make it stop?

Angelsinger ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 6:02 PM

Thank you for that tip, scanmead. That is what I'll do. :)

Lyne ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 5:13 PM

it is NOT in alphabetical order... here is what I felt I had to post on my own home page:

TO ALL MY FRIENDS WITH AVATARS HERE:
I don't really understand this friend thing, other than for the convenience of clicking to zoom to your home page and then click the WORD to "contact" you. I refuse to try and organize "friends", and it is not default alphabetized... I do NOT want to insult anyone, so be assured all I am doing is accepting your requests and letting the avatars fall where they do by default.
You are all equally dear to me!

TallPockets ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:16 PM · edited Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:29 PM

what is a Friendslist and what is it for?

Category: Site Mail

Viewed 21 times

Asked at 6:50 pm on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I just received a Friendslist request in my sitemail.  What is this feature and what does it do? I don't see it anywhere and my searches have turned up nothing.  This should be documented in the FAQs.

Last modified 2007-08-23 06:42

Response

This feature allows you to add your friends here at Renderosity to your homepage.

Answered 2007-08-23 06:42 / last modified 2007-08-23 06:42

**TO ADMINISTRATION:  Hello. I copied and pasted the above from the FAQ area. I, too, would like this FRIENDS LIST explained to myself and for others. Would that be possible?

(1) How is it different from making someone here a FAVORITE Artist?

(2) Is there any benefit to using this?

(3) Will I and others continue to get Friends List IM's whether we want to have ANY Friends List or not?

(4) Can any member DECLINE to participate in it if so desired?

Thanks, in advance, for any/all help. MUCH appreciated. My best, TallPockets.**

TallPockets ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:27 PM

BTW: Thanks to anyone who may consider me worthy of such a FRIENDS list. Some who sent me invitations I HAVE heard from before. Others, I have never heard from in any manner?

It is MY preference to NOT have a FRIENDS LIST at this or any site. There already is the IM and EMAIL site mail functions here.

I most kindly ask those to use those features. Thanks, in advance. MUCH appreciated.

Respectfully,

TallPockets.

Unicornst ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:51 PM

**TallPockets,

It's main function (from my viewpoint) is supposed to be an easier way to send site mail to people you may have a need to get in contact with. It also has the drawback of doing like the old Hot20 did and the newer Best Rated and Most Commented do now and turn into a popularity contest. So I do understand your position on it and even though I had thought to send you one of those requests, I won't. smiles

Lyne.....It doesn't list them alphabetically. It lists them according to when you "approved" the request when they are all set to 99.**

Kinouk ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:26 PM

Ok!! How does it work? I can't find how to add a friend. Where did you hide the little add button :)

hugz

Joan

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:43 PM

Quote - Ok!! How does it work? I can't find how to add a friend. Where did you hide the little add button :)

hugz

Joan

If you go to somebody's homepage, it is right beside their username on their BIO page, just click the "add to friends" link

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:45 PM

Quote - it is NOT in alphabetical order... here is what I felt I had to post on my own home page:

TO ALL MY FRIENDS WITH AVATARS HERE:
I don't really understand this friend thing, other than for the convenience of clicking to zoom to your home page and then click the WORD to "contact" you. I refuse to try and organize "friends", and it is not default alphabetized... I do NOT want to insult anyone, so be assured all I am doing is accepting your requests and letting the avatars fall where they do by default.
You are all equally dear to me!

Lyne

Janet was correct (I was wrong yesterday as I misunderstood how the default 99's were sorted). If you approve a friends request, it always defaults to the 99 and if you don't touch them or prioritize them yourself then all the 99's sort by the date the request was done. So it would just be in order that you received friends requests.

Hope that helps

And thanks Janet

Kinouk ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:49 PM

Thanks Stacey :)
hugz

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:52 PM

Quote - what is a Friendslist and what is it for?

Category: Site Mail

Viewed 21 times

Asked at 6:50 pm on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I just received a Friendslist request in my sitemail.  What is this feature and what does it do? I don't see it anywhere and my searches have turned up nothing.  This should be documented in the FAQs.

Last modified 2007-08-23 06:42

Response

This feature allows you to add your friends here at Renderosity to your homepage.

Answered 2007-08-23 06:42 / last modified 2007-08-23 06:42

**TO ADMINISTRATION:  Hello. I copied and pasted the above from the FAQ area. I, too, would like this FRIENDS LIST explained to myself and for others. Would that be possible?

(1) How is it different from making someone here a FAVORITE Artist?

(2) Is there any benefit to using this?

(3) Will I and others continue to get Friends List IM's whether we want to have ANY Friends List or not?

(4) Can any member DECLINE to participate in it if so desired?

Thanks, in advance, for any/all help. MUCH appreciated. My best, TallPockets.**

1.  The favorite artists is for artists that you want to follow their latest uploads and receive the ebot to see when they upload a new image.  The friendslist is more of a personal thing and I see it as for members that you have become your "online friends" you communicate with here at Renderosity. You can easily click to go to their homepage to communicate with them if they are on your friendslist.  Sometimes fav artists might be someone that you don't really "know" but just like to watch their uploads

1. Sure there is if you want it to be. You can easily get to their homepage to communicate with them. Its a fun factor thing and simply but just a way to keep all your online "friends" in one place.

3.  You can deny any friends request you want but yes members can send you a request and you will get a sitemail when they do. Its your choice whether you want to have a friendslist or not. I'm sure if you decide you don't want to join in the fun, then it won't take long for others to see you have nobody on your list and you won't get anymore sitemails because they will see that you don't want to participate.

1. Sure you can by denying requests and just not participating.  Just delete the sitemails as they come in .

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:53 PM

Or TP you can even put in your BIO that you aren't interested in joining in and I'm sure members will respect that.

TallPockets ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:03 PM

STACEYG: Hello and THANKS MUCH for your reply. It seems above that even you did not know all of how this new thing worked? It also seems above from the copied response to the FAQ I pasted above that it was a poor explanation of how it did work, to say the least?

Again, MUCH THANKS for truly explaining the new process. It would be nice someday if the powers to be would do such BEFORE they issue something new? Just a thought .....

**Now, as for this:

"I'm sure if you decide you don't want to join in the fun," (StaceyG above)

**StaceyG: I guess your and my ideas of 'fun' are just different. WINK.

It would be nice IF a member could somehow 'opt out' of this 'fun' if they so chose to do so instead of receiving IM's even if they did not want to participate in said 'fun'.

Instead, it appears a member either must answer someone, individually, as IMs are received as to why they don't want to participate in the festivities of fun or be rude and just delete their IMs without a response. GRINS.

My best to you and yours,

Respectfully,

TallPockets.

Unicornst ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:12 PM

**You're welcome, Stacey.

TallPockets? Why not post a note on your homepage simply stating that you do not wish to have this list and see if that stops the IMs coming to you? It might be the best way since it isn't really optional to "click" it off. People have to go to your hompage to add you, so it seems it would be the quickest and easiest way to let them know. I'm sure you'll request it politely and if people continue to ask you anyway after seeing that, then I would say the rudeness comes from them for not respecting your wishes. Everyone has the right to have that list or not.

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:53 PM

Quote - STACEYG: Hello and THANKS MUCH for your reply. It seems above that even you did not know all of how this new thing worked? It also seems above from the copied response to the FAQ I pasted above that it was a poor explanation of how it did work, to say the least?

TP, I made an error in understanding on the sort priority?? I do know howthe friendslist works, there was just some confusion around this one small thing. I am human and I have absolutely no problem saying I don't know it all and that I do make mistakes from time to time.   I'm not sure what your intended goal was for trying to point that out but I'm going to leave it at that.

**Now, as for this:
**StaceyG: I guess your and my ideas of 'fun' are just different. WINK.

**Oh I would agree with that 150%.  I'm having a good time meeting new members this way and it is very enjoyable for me. "wink"

Again thanks Janet for all your help :) 

Unicornst ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 12:30 AM

Again...you're very welcome, Stacey. smiles

vince3 ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 1:47 AM · edited Sat, 25 August 2007 at 1:58 AM

hey! i want to know why i can't add myself as my friend!!

in other news,

if i see a new toy that i think my little boy would like, i show it to him, and he says he doesn't want it!! but if i buy it for him, when he gets it home, he plays with it for hours and decides he loves it, and it becomes his new favourite toy.

(this statement was sponsored by Ninja-like subliminal messaging services-R-us)

SeanE ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 9:34 AM

I don't see the point of the Friends feature.

So far I haven't a clue who any of the people are that have requested it. I approved them all just to stop the spamming in the sitemail anyway...

It seems to be me to be just like the 'network' requests that you get at CGTalk.com - which don't do all that much either.

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 1:29 PM

Sean,

I pointed out the purpose of the friendslist above. Not everyone will care for it but thats just with all things. For instance some members don't see the point in allowing comments and/or ratings on gallery images or the art charts, etc.  The friendslist, just like the other things I mentioned ,is just a part of the "community" that alot enjoy while there are some that don't. 

It seems alot of members are having fun with it and that is great. You don't have to participate if you don't want, its fine.  Everyone has different features at Renderosity that they enjoy.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 8:10 AM

I can see the point of the friends list, but I see it going the same way as myspace, and DAZ's artzone, it will be a "how many friends can I get added" competition.  Which is fine, easy enough to decline, but I noticed you have to open each email in order to get rid of the "email waiting" flashing thing.  I already have requests from people I haven't heard of, and I'm not familiar with their work try and add me.  To start with I was just accepting anyone, but I've changed my mind on that point now.

It's a nice option and I do have friends here, few of whom I email on a regular basis and rather chat with live in IRC.

Would it be possible to make the sitemail request come from renderosity and, like forum replies, it won't send multiple email if you have one waiting?   The email would just say "You have friends requests waiting"

OR even better, **how about a line below site mail that says something like "new friends requests" and we don't get an email at all. **  Actually, I prefer that idea.  

AND on another point, how about an option to get sitemail, or at least notification sent to regular email.   I don't often check my photography page here and miss a load of email.

Thanks

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 9:51 AM

I'll add these suggestions Phil:)

Thanks!!

RubyT ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2007 at 9:07 PM

LOL, I didn't know what this was either and had one rom the Store STaff, and denied it. LOL! 
Ah well, I don't know anyone named store staff. LOL.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.