Sun, Sep 22, 5:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: How do I get good object ground shadows in DS?

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 10:07 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 5:17 AM
Forum Moderator

**Seriously, how do I get good ground shadows? **

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 10:40 PM

I'd like to know the same thing..  :D

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Heztia ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 1:06 AM

I'm still learning shadows but what I've come to find is having the lights in my scene parented to a null on the floor.  Also for me the light that creates the shadow is a spotlight and is set at a higher value then the other lights.  I don't know if I explained this right or if it anwsers your question as I said I'm still working on shadows myself :0)

"KnowThyself And Be Ture, Let Karma Do The Rest"
Mystic Images Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:08 AM

In general, when lighting a scene, I find Distant Lights more efficient and work better than spotlights.  Another tip.....Play with your shadow softness and bias.  In nature, rarely is your shadow hard on the edge.  Never is your shadow the same from one light to another...for instance, right now, there's a light on in my living room, uncovered lightbulb, and there's a light on in the stairwell, covered lightbulb.  The shadows in my living room are harsh and ugly.  The shadows in the stairwell are soft and subdued. 

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:05 AM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:05 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks everyone.  I am using distant lights, but find I either have my floor totally shadowed or none at all.  I guess I will work with it some more.

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:11 AM

Are you changing the angle of the lights, Dan?  The easiest ways to do that is to use the light as a "camera", and rotate it and move it to where you want.  Well, that's what I do.  ;)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 5:44 AM
Forum Moderator

**Thanks everybody.

Yes I definitely am changing the angle of the lights.  I am trying out DS because of the  Puppetmaster feature.   I have never seen such a fun way to animate.  I wish Carrara 6 could open up a DS file and preserve the animation though.

What is this using a light like a camera?  Can I look through the light?  I can watch the scene while I rotate the light around to see where it goes.  Is that what you mean?  I wish the lights were selectable from the scene tree  when I am in lighting and render mode.**

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 5:56 AM

I have to run, but when I get home this afternoon, I'll post some screenshots of what I mean, ok, Dan ;)  Sitemail me if I forget, LOL.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 8:22 AM

Quote - What is this using a light like a camera?  Can I look through the light?  I can watch the scene while I rotate the light around to see where it goes.  Is that what you mean?  I wish the lights were selectable from the scene tree  when I am in lighting and render mode.

Yeah, you can switch your viewport to see the scene from the view of a light. As you move around the viewport, the light moves w/ the view, just as if it were a camera. It's really nice when you have a spot w/ 'point at' turned on. Makes it easy to place spotlights.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Heztia ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 12:04 PM

I guess if your wanting your shadow to on the "whole" ground surface  having a distance light as your shadow caster is good.  If it just your characters then the spotlight is better, at least for me.  Using the light as a camra is an excellent way to postion the light to where you need.  You need to be patcient though as I've found sometime finding just the right spot is not always easy and it takes time. 

Hope you get it, have fun! ;0) Heztia

"KnowThyself And Be Ture, Let Karma Do The Rest"
Mystic Images Freebies

jestmart ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 9:58 PM

The problem with distant lights is they have no point of origin.  They are infinite light that illuminate the scene completely at a specific angle.  If your scene is the interior of a building the walls, floor and ceiling will cast shadow unless you turn cast shadow off for them.

prixat ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:14 AM

What you might be missing is the Ambient setting on your floor material. Ambient is the colour of something when there is no direct light shining on it. i.e. the colour of the shadow. So you can get stronger shadows by setting ambient to black.

regards
prixat

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:12 PM · edited Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:13 PM

file_393614.jpg

Ok, here's how I start out, Dan.  I set up my scene, no lights.  I prefer Distance Lights, so that's what I use.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:15 PM

file_393615.jpg

I add my first light, and I want to set it up where I want it, without using the dials, because they're not as accurate....so, I go to the display drop-down menu to select the light to use it as a camera (Note: You can't render with a light as your camera).

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:15 PM · edited Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:20 PM

file_393618.jpg

I select my distance light from the drop down menu...

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:21 PM

file_393619.jpg

The distance light will encase your whole scene, and the spotlight will start at the exact zero on the X, Y, and Z axes in DS. 

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:22 PM

file_393620.jpg

I rotate it to where I want it to be...

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:22 PM

file_393621.jpg

And, I go back to my main view.  It's a little dark, I need another light.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:23 PM

file_393622.jpg

Ok, added the new light.....

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:24 PM

file_393623.jpg

Now, to select it from the drop-down again, so I can move it to the angle I want it at.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:25 PM

file_393624.jpg

I want this one in front, so I want to rotate it to where I want it.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:25 PM

file_393625.jpg

Now, Back to the main camera.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:26 PM

file_393626.jpg

Now, select the light you want to have shadow (you can do this for all of your lights, but I prefer to do it for just one) in the Scene palette.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:28 PM

file_393627.jpg

Now, select the kind of shadow you want (Mapped or Raytraced...I prefer Raytraced, myself), and the softness of the shadow, as well as the bias.  I chose a softness of 50% and a bias of 2.50.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 3:30 PM

file_393628.jpg

And, after 3 1/2 hours of rendering (hey, I"m cleaning my house, so patience has nothing to do with it!), here's the finished image. I prefer the softer shadow.  It mimics, but doesn't exactly replicate, AO, and that's good enough for what I'm doing in D|S.

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 9:24 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks to everyone and especially to JenX for the fine tut.  I hope this works on ground shadows like it does on figure shadows.  Your ground is so dark, I cannot tell  how the shadows  are there.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.