Sun, Sep 22, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: No product support for DAZ|Studio

RundwulfWolfShield ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 7:34 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 11:39 AM

After viewing lordarkwolf's latest image "Action"www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php, I had to get this off my chest.

You see it time and again: Not tested in DAZ|Studio, No support for DAZ|Studio.  >:(

It is astounding that vendors make products for Daz figures and then do not test it in Daz nor offer support. Do they not realize the potential buyers they are missing out on?! How many Daz users have passed up purchasing a product because of that? 100's or more?

I don't know if you've noticed, but there are more products out there for Daz's Mil People made for Poser than products for the Poser people, unless you go to Content Paradise. Why is that? I personally like Sydney, but there is not enough stuff for her as there is for Aiko, V3 or V4.

Maybe us Dazzers should get together and only purchase those products that offer support for Daz or just start purchasing our content strickly from the Daz store only. Just a thought.

Maybe then the vendors will see the money their losing.

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 7:39 AM

if you have the poser export format plugin for the d/s from daz freepository you wont have to worry about it as they will work in daz studio.  this is from experience as i only have daz and a whole bunch of poser content in there. it's amazing how much poser stuff i have to me so if you look up the plugin in the freepository under the list of free programs thread you can get these things too

RundwulfWolfShield ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 7:53 AM

The Daz Poser exporter is for exporting from Daz to Poser, not the other way around. Besides the vast majority of Daz users do not have Poser.

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 7:55 AM

ahhh but like i said it works in reverse as well . i dunno why but i have most of my items in my inventories are poser items and they all work fine in daz and i do have the poser prop exporter and poser format exporter installed in my daz

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 9:09 AM

The exporter scripts have nothing to do with loading Poser content - D|S can do that from the base installation. However, not all material settings are read and sometimes an item will be so dependent on the missing settings that it will look very odd after importing (though often you can redo the settings in D|S to get the same result, if you know how). Sometimes rigging or elaborate multiple scaling and morph relationships don't work in D|S as they do in Poser, requiring a D|S specific version (if possible). And sometimes an oddity in the library file will cause problems for D|S but not Poser (or vice-versa, of course).

Elwinde ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 9:58 AM

Actually Daz works with most Poser items that I have found thus far.  But I do see your point...  Daz Studio is free...  It costs nothing but a few minutes of time to see if a product will load into Daz...  If it loads properly then fine they can add the phrase that it does work if not then they can say that they tried it with Daz and it failed.  Whether they decide to try to tweak it from there is their decision.

MirageBay ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 12:44 PM

I have the feeling that most merchants who use Poser think that the number of Daz Studio users is so small that they aren't really missing out on a large audience:(

I create everything in Daz Studio; I had to *buy * Poser to be able to check everything and make sure it works in Poser.  With Daz Studio being a free app, I think it's a real shame that more merchants don't take advantage of it. 

I've even offered my services to a few merchants to test their products in Daz Studio, but evidently they didn't think it was important since I never received any replies.

AnnieD ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 12:56 PM

There are more and more Daz Studio users every day.  Even RDNA has recently started supporting Daz...

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Akhbour ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 1:10 PM

The DAZ community is growing everyday and the people who use it are getting better and better, just a question of time.

Vendors who don't support D|S must gain enough from their products to be able to ignore a community.

I only use D|S, the money I did not spend on buying Poser, I spent it on content. Poser must be about 200-300 bucks, imagine the number of content bought!

Its up to the vendors to use a calculator to see what they might have earned (or not) by the D|S comunity!

Peter

RubiconDigital ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 5:34 PM

I released a Poser only product some time ago and was then inundated with requests from people begging for a D|S specific version, so I made one. Was it worth it? Absolutely not. Sales were sluggish, to say the least, so from a content provider's point of view, that's a major disincentive to do D|S specific products.
I actually like D|S as a program. It's interface is so much more user friendly than Poser's awful mess and the 3Delight renderer is very nice, but as far as doing specific product versions for it, I'm not bothering for the foreseeable future.
One major problem is that D|S can't read Poser procedural textures, so you're pretty much stuck with using bitmap only textures, plus a few extra tweaks available in D|S. Using bitmap only textures keeps us firmly rooted in 1990 or thereabouts, before much software had procedurals available, so in many regards it's a backward step. If D|S could read Poser's shader trees, that would be an entirely different matter. Until then..........

Akhbour ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 5:21 AM

Rubicon, I am sorry to here that you didn't sell your product as you hoped, if only for your effort to do a DS-version; but there is one thing which kills me very time: DS is free! No money spend, so at least a vendor could do a testrun in DS and state on the product page if it works or not!

I know the biggest problem and difference is the  render-engine, a DS-user knows this as well (or should know), but most of the time we will find a work-around, use a plug-in ...., but there are as well morphs that do not work correctly with DS and this cannot be solved (as far as I know).

So 30 minutes to test a product in DS and a mention on the product page (100% DS, Shaders not working in DS, Not working in DS) could help to take a decision if to buy or not.

And a growing comunity would feel better as well! ^_^

Peter

Cimaira ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:07 AM · edited Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:08 AM

RubiconDigital-

Quote - I released a Poser only product some time ago and was then inundated with requests from people begging for a D|S specific version, so I made one. Was it worth it? Absolutely not. Sales were sluggish, to say the least, so from a content provider's point of view, that's a major disincentive to do D|S specific products.

I have a question or two, and I'm not being sarcastic , I'd truly like to know.... you say sales were sluggish with the D|S specific product, so my questions..

1. how did the Poser version of the same product sell?
  2. Did the D|S version match up in quality, as close as possible, given the procedural textures issue, to the Poser product?

again, I'm not being sarcastic, just curious :)
cimaira

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:54 AM

A lot of people simply can't get DS to run. Just so you know. Until 1.7.9 or so I wasn't able to load a thing into there, 1.8 came along and sort of broke things again until a later version. Some people simply can't get ti to run on their machine at all.

And then there is the learning curve, load into DS and it looks like garbage but there is nothing to make it look better (that the person knows about) so they just don't bother. That was a lot of experiences early on and people just don't go back.

But, again, for some people it simply doesn't work.

Lighthorse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 10:32 AM

All well and good. I use Daz and have had no problems
I wanted to try Poser 7 so after Installation I tried to set it up
my problem with poser is that it will not see my Runtime
folders. My content is quite large and thus stored on a T1
external drive. Poser only sees the runtime within its tree
and I found no place to point it to my Runtime directories
I gave up trying it and uninstalled it as I found no help
anywhere. With Daz its only an email or phone call away
they have always been very helpful.
My Runtime is over 300gigs I cannot put it in Poser folder
to just try it out.

Lighthorse
FalconArts.Com

Akhbour ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 10:37 AM

Quote - A lot of people simply can't get DS to run. Just so you know. Until 1.7.9 or so I wasn't able to load a thing into there, 1.8 came along and sort of broke things again until a later version. Some people simply can't get ti to run on their machine at all.

And then there is the learning curve, load into DS and it looks like garbage but there is nothing to make it look better (that the person knows about) so they just don't bother. That was a lot of experiences early on and people just don't go back.

But, again, for some people it simply doesn't work.

Honestly, I use DS since 0.8 or something like this and I never had a major problem with it, apart from plugins not working after an update. I am on PC, maybe it is different for Mac-users, so I do not think that it is a DS problem.

I had some testruns on Poser at a friend who owns it, but I do not find it very easy to use, especially the lightning, so I think it is simply a question of getting used to it, like every time when you learn a new prog.

I don't ask the vendors to learn DS like a pro, just to open their works in it and do a test-render, apply their morph or what else applies. You don't have to be using DS for ages to see if it works or not, or they just ask a DS-user to do a test, they will find some willing to help.

Just my point of view.

Peter

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 10:38 AM

I think the Poser 7 looks for Runtimes rather than content (not sure if that is what you are meaning) but you can add a Runtime with the little plus and hunt for it and then it will be there.

Lighthorse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 10:54 AM

Quote - I think the Poser 7 looks for Runtimes rather than content (not sure if that is what you are meaning) but you can add a Runtime with the little plus and hunt for it and then it will be there.

I never saw that option I might reinstall and look

Lighthorse
FalconArts.Com

Lighthorse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 11:42 AM

OK got it. Now lets see if I can figure Poser out
I'v been using Daz for so long now

Lighthorse
FalconArts.Com

shotgung0d ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 7:19 PM

Quote - A lot of people simply can't get DS to run. Just so you know.

I've been using D|S for nearly 2 years now and never heard that complaint before now. Odd that you had luck with the 1.7 versions as most agree that was the most bug infested of the later releases. ...strange...

Back on topic - Akbour pointed out the great mystery, D|S is free so what would be the problem with just loading it up and doing some test renders of the new content? The Runtime structure is the same and can be set to have both apps read from the same folders.

Some merchants do a good job of this but still don't mention it on their store pages. Take Aery Soul for example, the their content is labeled "Not tested in DAZ|Studio" but if you visit their forums you'll find they have a D|S tester and and a large section for fixes. You just have to dig deep and sometimes the answer is out there.

Now it's time to go back to my garbage little renders in my junkpile of software I happen prefer. Golden rule people - Effort makes the artist, not bells and whistles!

Borrowing a line from a real artist...

Render on!

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 8:44 PM

Well i am sorry to say but if i see an item on the market that the vendor states "Not tested in DAZ|Studio, No support for DAZ|Studio" i still but the item if i want it. I have a few items that were not tested in D|S and after testing them myself i finding they are ok or maybe need just a little tweak to make them fit i send the vendor a nice site mail informing them that their item works fine in D|S or it works but needs just a little tweak to make your item fit.

If i purchase an item and it doesn't work then its my loss not theirs.

I would rather see vendors state the item was not tested in D|S or no support for D|S than to see something i like and purchase it only to find it doesn't work at all in D|S...that gets my goat up and believe me i have sat here cursing vendors over this issue..least if i see they have made an effort to warn us then i'm fine with that..

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

RubiconDigital ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 10:09 PM

Quote -
I have a question or two, and I'm not being sarcastic , I'd truly like to know.... you say sales were sluggish with the D|S specific product, so my questions..

1. how did the Poser version of the same product sell?
  2. Did the D|S version match up in quality, as close as possible, given the procedural textures issue, to the Poser product?

again, I'm not being sarcastic, just curious :)
cimaira

The Poser version went gangbusters. It was a lighting set, so textures weren't an issue in this case. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a whinge about one of my products, but you guys should know that there are issues with supporting Studio.
Poser is such a pain to produce content for that I suspect many people are happy to see their products hit the store, without wanting to go through an even longer development process by making sure they work in Studio.
The lights are different, so if you provide  a lighting rig as part of a product, you need to develop it twice. It's not just a case of copying the light settings from Poser and plugging them into Studio's lights.
As I already mentioned, Studio can't read the Poser shader tree, so if you develop something for Poser and use shader nodes to enhance your textures, it's just going to look wrong in Studio.
These are the two most obvious issues for me.
My suggestion to people who see an item and wonder if it works in Studio, is to e-mail the vendor and ask. Any vendor who is interested in good customer relations will get back to you promptly.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 11:36 PM

I have heard it for years and have had issues with it since pre-beta beta but it seems to be mostly worked out. I wasn't able to load a single thing in it until 1.7 and the 1.8 version caused an issue with the rendering but it seems to have been cleared up in later 1.8s.

Cimaira ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 12:33 AM

thank you for your reply RubiconDigital :)
and I understand developing for two programs would be a pain, unless you work with both.  I think the main issue is folks just want to know if it will or wont work in DS. Something like that stated on the product page would save everyone time and frustration. It would be nice if all content worked in both programs, but I dont see that happening anytime soon. lol

Akhbour ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 2:00 AM

Thanks for your reply Rubicon!

Ok, in this case I understand that you had problems, the lightning is not the same and I think every D|S user with a bit of brains wont ask for adapting light sets or node based textures. (And because there are this differences, most D|S users wont bother buying light-sets, we are quite good in lightning ;)  )

We are only asking for a simple information on the product page "Not tested in D|S" (it is up to us to see if we try or not) or "Does not work in D|S"/ "Works only partially in D|S" and we know what to do.

If a vendor will not take the time to test a product, he may ask in any D|S forum, he will find volonteers for testing.

And just have a look in the D|S gallery to see what can be done with this "crappy" piece of software!

Peter

Madbat ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 5:17 AM

Personally, I could care less if the content is in Daz format or not, all I'm concerned about is will it work in D|S without too many issues. Most D|S users know and expect certain things won't work as expected. A simple warning that the product uses Poser specific lighting say, or shader node textures would suffice I think.

But the point that is being made is one that should be considered...there is a growing number of Daz users, especially as the program develops and improves. Since I started posting here (since 2005) I've noticed the Daz gallery grow quite rapidly. I don't suspect it will cease to grow any time soon either unless Daz does something really stupid. The fact of the matter is that poser content can be used by several programs and this needs to be considered in content development....man it must suck to be a vendor some days.

Cinnamon369 ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 3:25 PM

When purchasing content I have come across a few vendors here (can't recall names,been awhile) who put in their product write up in bold " I WILL NOT TEST IN DAZ|STUDIO " .

Those vendors do not get my business as I see it as a bad business practice to have that attitude.

I have both Poser 7 and Daz and prefer DAZ. When I buy here I look more at the object itself than the textures.

Some things are not interchangable. Lights and Shaders. And I do not fault any vendor for not offering dual program compatability concerning those.

I buy mostly at DAZ these days, and really do appreciate the vendors who have installers for both daz and poser and am more apt to buy when I see that included. 

Anywho, thats my 2 cents....

Marianne :o)

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 3:07 AM

It would be great if more vendors would take a little time to test their products in Daz, but in all the products I've purchased at Rendo there's only been one I've had a problem with and I know if I had the patience and a fiddle it wouldn't be a problem.

As it stands I glance through the comments to see if any other Dazzers have tried if it's an expensive product.

Perhaps as Daz users we should start a thread listing the non supported products we've tried and the ones with positive results.

Madbat ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 3:46 AM

Cimarron, that's a good idea about the supported products thread! Funny bit is that the first UNSUPPORTED & UNTESTED product would go to Daz3D and it's new Victoria 4.2....

Yes that was a shameless poke...heeheehee.

But seriously, there are vendors who do take the time to test, it'd be nice to have a listing of them, as well as untested products that work, and those that don't.

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 7:05 AM

lol Madbat..too true!
I'm not touching 4.2 until the dust settles and even then I'm not too sure  ;)

I've been eyeballing a couple of products on Rendo with NOT SUPPORTED BY DAZ !
 I'd love to have a play but I'm just waiting for that devil-may-care moment before I take the plunge or another Dazzer leaves a comment.

Seriously, if the forum mod would like to start a thread i'd be happy to list my rendo purchases.

Madbat ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 7:24 AM

I finally got V4.2 working...so far at least. One thing I noticed in Daz anyway is that characters made with morph data take a long time to load. Make sure you follow the instructions very carefully or you'll be sorry.

I'd list mine too, I've had decent luck so far with most purchases and downloads being compatable, except this new release of V4.2. Quality however is another matter entirely...but that's a different topic.

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 8:15 AM

Not to hijack this thread but Madbat, I'd be interested to hear and see what you and other Daz users think about the new boy/girl on the block ;)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 12:43 PM

Well, most of my stuff should work mostly fine with a tiny bit of tweaking :)

LocusSolus ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 3:22 PM

sorry for my bad english. Some vendors DO know that their product(s) work(s) with D|S, but tell "not supported" or "not tested" to stay safe from beeing submerged by basic requests from beginners unaccurate with installation processes. I guess many vendors made the test, but some rare vendors 1) turned the flag of DS compatibilty to the ON position, 2) took a fly to Bahamas beaches for at least 3 weeks, 3) Came back to visit in the psychiatric hospital their secretary (not to say to burry her). The problems come not from 2 years long D|S experimented users as people who posts here, but from several try-once-for-free-and-forget tourists. I think 90% of that phenomenon could be avoided by selling D|S, may just for one dollar, but not free. Hope what I say is not delirious. Very interesting post. Friendly, LocuSolus. (received V4.2 this morning in my DAZ download reset).  

Madbat ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 4:53 PM

I have to agree that anyone who uses or plans on using Daz on a regular basis should know that most items will require some tweaking because of the differences in surface settings. I'm specifically referring to textures here, map settings will need to be adjusted lights will differ, or not work if they are poser specific volumetric or ibl/ao..etc. I've posted a number of material settings for various products on various forums here and at Daz. For instance, skin tectures; I almost always add ah-skin shaders to the vendors supplied base, adjust bump settings and whatnot. Same for hair and a lot of cloth items...I rarely leave them as is. But it has been my experience that most basic textures will load ok. If I understand correctly, Ghostofmacbeth has a few textures floating around that work fine in Daz with a minimum of fuss (adjusting bump map values). I've bought stuff from Aery-Soul, Billy-T, Orion1167, and Dm-Marforno among others and they all work fine. Like I've said, bump maps need adjusting, plus displacement (if any), but the products load with no issues.

Real compatibility issues arise when the product uses specific Poser only features, 'optimised for Poser 6/7' is a good warning. The Evolution Eve texture is a good example...all the supplied Texture poses are for Poser6+ but they still load ok in Daz as they make use of texture maps in the material. As I really don't use Poser, I'm not familiar with any poser specific shader node bits I might be missing out on. I still make use of it and it works fine.

I have noticed products though that do seem to have issues. Specifically downloads with wonky directory structures that don't match any specified file paths, or sets that take absolutely forever to render. There is a Tek by Design freebie i deleted because of a wonky directory structure (although I have 2 others from him that load just fine) and the Sparkyworld sets take absolutely forever to render...to the point where I won't use them. I've loaded the same fully geared V4 into scenes with a Sparkyworld set, and with 10 blocks of Dystopia...the Dystopia renders fine, Sparkyworld bogs my system...and i run a better system than most.  His meshes aren't poly heavy for the most part, but on close inspection, it looks like he ran a smoothing function on his pipework to eliminate any flat surfaces. The result is some 20 odd objects with a ton of polygons. His textures are small yet decent looking, and the scene itself loads fast...but a few objects in the mesh make render times atrocious. Not to knock Ol' sparky, but the point is any issues that arise may be surprising. (out of curiosity I'm doing a render now I'll post the results if anyone is curious....4% at 11 minutes so far)

I think a lot of vendor headache regarding Daz support might be solved with a FAQ...as well as some clear links to the Daz manual and tutorials. Most new users I run across have no idea where to look for these things and they tend to be somewhat scattered.

As to what I think about V4.2....umm...well...I'm kind of underwhelmed. They did fix a few issues, one with the poser morph brush, one with the floating unibrow, made ALL morphs injectable (you need to inject to use em), and added a male morph with 3 different heads. There are install issues of various types, all depending on how you're setup. I have problems because of two V4.1's in two separate runtimes on the same drive. this seems to have been fixed by taking the second runtime out of Daz completely and deleting the saved character I had made before doing this. After some test runs, I think I like the old one better. the base V4.2 loads fast, because she has no morph data attached, but any characters saved with injected morphs take a long time to load in my experience...longer than a similar character made with V 4.1. I also think the old version had a better joint system, this one seems to mangle really badly, very quickly, about the hips. I may have more to say as I work with it more. One thing of note...any male character you make, while looking decent...will have no pants! ( and no nads either...Victor's been fixed).

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 7:44 PM

I see what you mean LocusSolus, perhaps a small charge on Daz would help but still we all have to start somewhere and if your in business customer service is a part of it.

Thanks for that Madbat, I've downloaded but haven't installed and until I see something that blows my mind I'll stick with v3/v4 and m3.

Muffled ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2008 at 11:57 PM

I guess I recomend the first vendor for DAZ products:
hong yu, he now states and has seperate files for DAZ.

Even before that, I never had an issue with any of his products.

A vendor I don't "trust" is Nykoya( I hope I spelled the name right). Don't know what to make out of his/her gear.

Madbat ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 12:23 AM

Orion 1167 is another one I've never had a problem with despite the fact that the character textures are for p6-p7.  I just did a render of Hellsing in Absenth's Reign gear with default textures...she looks ok, loads ok on V 4.2 base. I have other Orion stuff, all of it works. Likewise Billy-T's gear loads and works, With most things, some settings may need a bit of adjustment, but that's no big deal and he has fitting dials on his stuff.

Khory_D ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 7:57 PM

This thread address one of my biggest gripes ever! I even brought it up over on the Daz boards last week. The whole I "won't test in daz" or "I can't be bothered with Daz users" (yes I have sen at least two merchants post just that) stance really gets under my skin. I just can't understand why someone would turn their nose up at that many potential users. The last Daz update had 277,154 downloads. Even if only 20% of those people use the program thats over 50,000 potential customers in a fairly competitive industry.

I've seen the "Daz doesn't work for me" reason for can't do it. That is an excellent reason for a minority of people.
I've seen Daz is free so poser users have more available income as an excuse (no they were not saying it in jest). I got poser 5 free when it was given away over a weekend and its possible people who don't have to fork over x bucks up front will have it to spend on content (just a thought).
I've seen "it is to complex to figure out". I know there are at least 2 tutorials helping vendors figure out exactly how to do it. I know because my business partner did one of them. In general its changing the settings on three things at most for characters, props and sets.
I've seen "its just not as respected a program by serious 3d artists". News flash! Poser is in most cases considered a "hobbyist" ap as well by most serious 3d artists.

Yes in SOME cases like lights and products using multiple nodes you can't get the exact same effects in daz without a plug in of some kind. I confess that I've actually done a product that I think looks better in poser than daz unless you can add an alternate spec so I do understand that you can't always get the same effects with the two programs. However for the vast majority of characters don't have multiple node settings (hell some people don't even bother with bump or displacement maps for characters for gods sakes) and there is pretty much no reason on gods great green earth those can't be tested or supported in Daz. In most cases the only thing the merchant needs to know to do is check the specularity and bump settings, and for characters change it to the skin lighting model and save the bloody thing as a .ds file. If I recall correctly daz doesn't even have to have the files checked to make sure they written correctly and don't include the C:program files and so forth poser likes to tack in there.

And I still think its a bad business decision to tell 50,000 or so potential customers to piss off because you don't want to take a couple of hours and set up extra files for them. And as we do set up both sorts of files for our products I do know it will only take a couple of hours to make the changes.

www.Calida3d.com
Daz studio and Poser content creators

Muffled ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 8:23 PM

Quote - This thread address one of my biggest gripes ever! I even brought it up over on the Daz boards last week. The whole I "won't test in daz" or "I can't be bothered with Daz users" (yes I have sen at least two merchants post just that) stance really gets under my skin. I just can't understand why someone would turn their nose up at that many potential users. The last Daz update had 277,154 downloads. Even if only 20% of those people use the program thats over 50,000 potential customers in a fairly competitive industry.

I've seen the "Daz doesn't work for me" reason for can't do it. That is an excellent reason for a minority of people.
I've seen Daz is free so poser users have more available income as an excuse (no they were not saying it in jest). I got poser 5 free when it was given away over a weekend and its possible people who don't have to fork over x bucks up front will have it to spend on content (just a thought).
I've seen "it is to complex to figure out". I know there are at least 2 tutorials helping vendors figure out exactly how to do it. I know because my business partner did one of them. In general its changing the settings on three things at most for characters, props and sets.
I've seen "its just not as respected a program by serious 3d artists". News flash! Poser is in most cases considered a "hobbyist" ap as well by most serious 3d artists.

Yes in SOME cases like lights and products using multiple nodes you can't get the exact same effects in daz without a plug in of some kind. I confess that I've actually done a product that I think looks better in poser than daz unless you can add an alternate spec so I do understand that you can't always get the same effects with the two programs. However for the vast majority of characters don't have multiple node settings (hell some people don't even bother with bump or displacement maps for characters for gods sakes) and there is pretty much no reason on gods great green earth those can't be tested or supported in Daz. In most cases the only thing the merchant needs to know to do is check the specularity and bump settings, and for characters change it to the skin lighting model and save the bloody thing as a .ds file. If I recall correctly daz doesn't even have to have the files checked to make sure they written correctly and don't include the C:program files and so forth poser likes to tack in there.

And I still think its a bad business decision to tell 50,000 or so potential customers to piss off because you don't want to take a couple of hours and set up extra files for them. And as we do set up both sorts of files for our products I do know it will only take a couple of hours to make the changes.

That what I was thinking as well. To me I think that some people just must "hate" DAZ. Besides DAZ, I have Carrara 6 Pro, Bryce 6 and Maya 7, tho I hardly ever use them.

Lighthorse ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2008 at 1:44 AM

I myself My not be the greatest artist But I try .
I Use Bryce and Daz quit a bit as a start for my
artwork I just recently got Poser7 and so far I find
it very cumbersome.The only reason I got it is
because of the items not supported by Daz.
I try to load stuff in Poser and wonder what the %$3
do I do now. I have used Bryce sense version 4.
I would like to figure out Poser but its just to
backward for me.

Sorry got off track.

I do not understand How hard is it to download a
free version of Daz and Load what you have designed
Look at it and say wow I guess It does not work in Daz.
And sense they do not like daz for what ever reason
( they do not want to admit that Daz is better :-) )
Just say BOLDLY Bugger Off Daz users Poser only.

That way we will not give them any of our hard earned money.
And find a merchant who really cares.

Lighthorse
FalconArts.Com

callad ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 1:29 PM

There seem to be two issues here..

1. Tested in D|S

2. Specially prepared for D|S

3. Can be solved simply by starting up D|S, load the item from your Poser runtime and give it a twirl.. Havent got the time to do it yourself?? Then find a D|S user to do it for you! Just take 10 minutes to browse the DazStudio Gallery and make a list of a few artists whom work you like.. then mail them..

As said before.. there are 50.000 reasons (or more) why you should make this tiny effort.. Adding the simple line "Tested in D|S by ... " could make you hundreds of dollars.. or more..

1. Can't say anything about that for I have no Poser and/or Vendor knowledge at all..

Charley

Trevor666 ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 7:09 AM

DAZ|studio comes in many versions, stuff made for later versions won't work in earlier versions.
I found version 1.7 onwards crashes on my machine, but 1.4 to 1.5 were fairly stable, so I keep
to 1.5. This means most stuff now made for DAZ|studio is no use to me, but I can usually find
a way to make Poser content run crash-free. So, keep to the many Poser freebies available,
try them out, if they ain't no good you don't lose anything!
My Poser runtime is huge, I have very little D|S content at all.

Khory_D ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 8:50 AM

"DAZ|studio comes in many versions, stuff made for later versions won't work in earlier versions."

Actually files saved as .ds not .dsb are backward compatible. Because of the frequent updates most merchants will know to save files as .ds so that they will work for those who have not updated.

www.Calida3d.com

AnnieD ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 1:11 PM

***~ My Poser runtime is huge, I have very little D|S content at all. ~

***Most  of your poser content will work in DS.   I don't know why some people have trouble with the newer versions of DS..when the majority of us don't have any trouble with it.

There are so many poser users who use the Daz people that I have actually seen people refer to them as belonging to poser.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

nyguy ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:49 AM

I personally don't use Daz Studio, but when I do make something either free or for sale I try to get it tested in Daz Studio.  I am actually working on something I know will not work in D|S due to the materials in the prop. I have talked with one of my testers who uses only D|S to see if she can make a material for the prop to work.
I think it is up to the vendors to decide whether or not to support D|S or not to support Poser.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

AnnieD ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:28 PM

I agree completely nyguy....it should be up to them to decide...

[Stuart Chase]

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 3:56 AM · edited Fri, 07 March 2008 at 3:59 AM

Yes its amazing they say Poser only but the figures they design for are all sold at Daz sheer madness if you ask me.  I dont listen to the poser only I buy most stuff which will  work except for nodes and some P7 Lights.

As for no Daz Support how hard is it to pick a couple of daz testers for the product, not hard at all I have vendors that give me stuff to test for them all the time.

If they say they are for poser only, why dont they use the Figures that Poser makes, is it because they are lame lol. You only have to look at Miki and see what a mess they made of her to figure out they cannot make figures if their lives depended on it.

And the one that is Priceless is Shaders will not work in Daz Studio, UMMM Hello WRONG they do.

Change any V4, A4,  in the  Surface Tab, down the bottom to  Lighting, then apply  Matte instead of plastic it  works, and it took my Friend Wendy who is a poser user not to mention one of the best character creators out there to figure it out, she doenst sit on the fence and sprout the old tired it will not work in daz she finds out what the solutions is and fixes it.

Now thats a poser vendor.

Angela

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 9:24 AM

There is a lot more to the shaders than plastic to matte ... That is often what the issue is but for a lot of stuff it just cannot be done in DS.

Khory_D ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 9:50 AM

"That is often what the issue is but for a lot of stuff it just cannot be done in DS."

Other than multiple node levels and the Some of the pre-generated noise etc. DS can actually DO much of what poser does. Tiling, shader channel mixing, translucence, SSS, environment channel mixing, and ambient occlusion and some noise can all be added via a free plug in. But you can't count on people having taken the time to download that in order to generate the more complex shading situations that people can for poser.

Very few merchants get carried away in the material room and those are the ones who lose out on potential sales and good will with the Daz only or daz primary users.

www.Calida3d.com

Akhbour ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 10:04 AM

Just to say, yes we can do a lot with free shaders, but can we expect that a merchant takes hours of chasing the free shader or plug?

All I (we) ask for is a simple notice on the product page:  Works in DAZ|Studio! Does not work in D|S! Not tested in D|S!

Most of the time a mesh just loads fine, the material-settings need to be tweaked, but for a beginner, she/he is not supposed to know that there are differences between Poser and D|S. And I do repeat myself, just ask a D|S user if he is willing to test a product and write a couple of words in the read-me, how to make a product work!

I guess it'll take only a couple of hours, but it may add some dollars to your accounts.

We do not use Poser, but we do buy stuff!

Peter

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 3:15 PM

Its funny thought, The only things I put in DS are the actual DS Mats for the vendors that do supply them for us.

As for things now working, well my latest render is proof this is NOT so.
I did not inject PMD and I did not add the magnats as was a requirement in the V4 folder,   and Hello the clothing worked perfectly lol.

I am sorry but the No tested in DS is not good enough, don't want them to make extra mats, just get someone to test for you, all of us are willing to give it a try there are those of us that know the program more than others.

And Akhbour, brilliant idea, I am sick of Not Tested In DS.

Have you seen all the new things on Daz lately, what are they using to rendered the promos Daz Studio not poser so things do work.  If it says listen this product will not work in Daz and a reason why and they have actually tested it I will respect that vendor even more, than those that say the lazy NO Tested.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.