Sun, Sep 15, 12:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: laser flower..any idea how they be done??

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 7:49 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 9:54 PM

file_400616.jpg

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 7:49 AM

file_400617.jpg

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 7:50 AM

file_400618.jpg

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 7:51 AM
TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:13 AM · edited Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:15 AM
Forum Moderator

Rosie: there are a series of MATS that simulate x-ray photographs on whatever they are applied to. I can e-mail them if you'd like, but you might find them in free stuff. I think they'd do your job.
They come in several different colours.

Create flower.
Turn out the lights
Apply x-ray mats to flower.
Render.

Old-timers might want to come in here................

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:21 AM

i'll look for them.. just incase i don't find them.can you pweety please email them to me?

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:21 AM

btw.. um..er..i thought it was photography..but if i can do this in bryce....HOOORAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:35 AM
Forum Moderator

Rosie: You will need to look in the freebies for these, although I have mailed them to you.
There are some instructions somewhere on how to use them correctly.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:37 AM

ok..wil do..got it... bless ya..and thanks a ton...
will look for the freebie..i did go thru the freebies but wasn't so sure what to look for ...
cheers..and bless ya

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:41 AM
Forum Moderator

You're very welcome, Rosie, and you didn't have to offer me that oily massage, although it was tempting.

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:44 AM

shshshsh!! That was a secret between both of us! :lol:

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:33 AM · edited Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:34 AM
Forum Moderator

**Found this for you.......**

SOME TIPS FOR SUCCESFUL XRAYS

• in 'render options', set 'maximum ray-depth' higher if your objects render incorrectly, with    artifacts or render black in places.
      A setting of 6-7 is what I use, and does not affect render times too significantly, not on my machine      anyhow, other may find otherwise.

• always reset camera settings (directors view, untested in camera view) to thier default settings.

• rotate/scale/move your subject matter/model to achieve your camera angle, NOT your view/camera controls.

• when useing imported meshes in boolean groups don't forget to tick the 'solid when boolean rendering'
      control in the 'edit mesh' menu.

• try various levels of material transperancy as the internal layers of objects get deeper, ie:
      85/75% for your outer skin/shell, (usually 75% transperancy) then decrease transperancy as you get
      deeper, in increaments of 5 or 10, eg: 75%, 65%, 55% transperancy and so on.
      OR: do the same, in reverse, increaseing transperancy as you go deeper.

• you may also wish to highlight core internal objects or items of intrest by decreaseing/increasing their    transperancy, and/or increasing/decreasing their specularity level.

• setting boolean groups to 'positive' in their attributes editor makes them into one complete 'shell'
      when rendered with transperant materials, in any version of Bryce.

• paying attention to the real-world structural nature of things when composeing your xray subjects
      always makes for more convincing output (duh!;))

• adjusing the transperancy of your subject/subjects according to their possible real world densities,
      (eg: lead is very dense, hence its use in xray technician's protective aprons) could add greatly to the     realism of your output.

• if used, try to keep any bump hieght of your materials very low, I have noticed that surface texture    in real-world xrays is generally not very apparent, unless it is a very dramatic surface feature.

• subtle transperancy and specularity percentage tweaking of your various layers/objects is the main key to
      successful xray images.

• after inverting your image in the image editor of your choice it can sometimes help to tweak brightness/
      contrast/intensity, colour levels ect, but this also can be achieved all within Bryce, with material     settings tweaks. (apart from the image-inversion of course)

...GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!...
   ...EXPERIMENTATION IS THE KEY TO INNOVATION....
       ....REGARDS, ADAMITE 2003...

and I'm sure you can see the similarity to the flowers.

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:42 AM

file_400630.jpg

thansk..i found it too..working on it..experimenting..don't like what i see so far..he's givent he sky preset too...

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:44 AM

where am i going wrong? this is one of britt's flowers btw..
i think i haev to tweak the contrast up high here..use photoshop as my image ed..
this is just to experiment till i figure it out..
btw..me heading off to bed.. so u may not get an answer frm me for a few hours...

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:50 AM

file_400631.jpg

bumped up the contrast level in photoshop. pardon rough edges..tolerance level i used when using the magic wand was 2.. ought to have used 0. probs is..the leaf on the left side turned black upping the contrast..

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:51 AM

btw..transperency on the mat is around 33..i upped it to about 70 something like he said.
so what am i doing wrong here??

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 1:30 PM · edited Sun, 24 February 2008 at 1:31 PM
Forum Moderator

Rosie: I've no idea what you are doing and I haven't played with this myself. I have got an idea that's been on the back-burner for years now. That was to put a metal/machanical skelton inside a big cat/tiger and use the x-ray mats to illustrate it.

I'd concentrate on getting this right in Bryce rather than messing about in ps to begin with......;-(
Sorry I can't be more help.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 3:53 PM

Now you got me intrigued! What is the name of this marvelous little mat? I want to play around with it too!!!

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 5:05 PM · edited Sun, 24 February 2008 at 5:05 PM
Forum Moderator

TS: sitemail me with your e-mail addy.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 5:21 PM

TheBryster,  check your sitemail box.

TS

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 5:58 PM
Forum Moderator

BTW, that file should contain several mats of different colours. Let me know if you get only one colour.

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 7:14 PM

Attached Link: http://backroom.renderosity.com/~bryce/newsite/challenge/shared%20pages/textures_mats_01.htm

found the originals on his site... thebryster..any luck??

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:12 PM

Got only 1 but with erosiaart's link I picked up the zipped pak with the set. Thanks!

TS

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:32 PM

thunderstone.. thebryster's 1 has 5 mats combined when you import it in..
cheers
let me know how you fare with it and where i haev been going wrong and how it works out!

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 9:19 PM

Quote - thunderstone.. thebryster's 1 has 5 mats combined when you import it in..
cheers
let me know how you fare with it and where i haev been going wrong and how it works out!

Oh okay, I got it now... Have the set installed but haven't played around with it yet... close to beddy bye bye time... need to get some sleep.    :b_sleeping:      Will play with it tomorrow.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:39 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Ok, I played with it... Don't really like it... Ok, here's the gist of it.... 😕

It turns the object mat transparent, but as far as the color goes, eh? In your favorite image editor you will have to invert and do some colorization. I really don't like it... (I mentioned that before, didn't I?)

Maybe I am not doing it right... What I need is some flowers to fool around with... I tried doing it with the old standby... hand with bones from poser...

:cursing: Whatever you do, don't use those blocky #@$$%^&!!!! bones from skeleton man or woman... They're the most  UGH!!!!! !@#$%^&*&^%%$$@@@!!!! piece of garbage I have ever had the misfortune of using in Poser for bones in hand !:cursing:

Square fingertips???? UGH!!!! Shudder

:unsure: Have you thought about asking the artist, the secret to the laser flower??? Then maybe you can create in Bryce using some kind of work around.

erosiaart ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:45 AM

i can't seem to find who the artist is..googled it out..
and as for the mats.. i don't thing the creator of the mat is around..his last image was up in 2002.
try searching for flowers in the freebie.. use britt mccary's flowers...
lol..the skeletons are weird..and transparent skeletons?? haha

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 11:12 AM · edited Mon, 25 February 2008 at 11:20 AM

Quote - try searching for flowers in the freebie.. use britt mccary's flowers...

What is britt's user name here? I search in the freebie section here for flowers and came up with at least 33 different types of "FLOWERS" like flower pots, flower texture, etc... (I am surprised that it didn't bring up flower power in the search parameters. That would have blown my mind right there!)

What about the forum where you originally got the flowers from? Have you look for the poster there?

I will try again with google... Maybe I'll hit pay dirt there. 😉 (tried google... no flowers but there's britt!...)

About the artist: Have you tried the administrator's mail box over at that forum? Seems like the artist is the site administrator. I can't make heads or tails out of the language, but maybe you can just drop a note or 2 into her mailbox.

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 5:56 PM
Forum Moderator

Just playing about. You really need highly detailed flower models.

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 5:56 PM
Forum Moderator

erosiaart ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:53 PM

thebryster!!!!!!!!!!!! how did you do it?? and the flowers?? oh please, oh pretty please!! britts flowers are in sets of three meshes..so you really cant break up leaves etc individually...
thunderstone.... britt mccary  .. iui used her psoer flowers and inported them as objs.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 11:11 PM

What is britt's user name here? I typed in britt mccary and there's no such user here by that name so what user name did she go by while here. I search all and got flower pot, flower texture, and some nonsense  that is not really helpful. Google wasn't much help either...

erosiaart ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 11:53 PM

brittmccary
search under flower

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 1:48 AM

file_400757.jpg

dunno...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 5:10 AM · edited Tue, 26 February 2008 at 5:12 AM
Forum Moderator

Rosie: It that one yours? I think you've figured it out.

The flowers/plants I used are pretty simpl. You can have them if you want

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 5:33 AM

yup thebryster.. did that one.. i think the trick of it is to get flowers that are spidery and like you say..with a lot of details.
email me those flowers, pretty please!
i quite liked doing this...
cheers - rosie
thunderstone..any luck? 

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 5:45 AM

Yeah... I got the flowers... Gonna play with them this afternoon (over here, it's 6:43 AM and I haven't have my morning fix of java yet!) Got to get ready to leave at 8... TTYL 😉

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 3:23 PM

Wow, and X-Ray Material!

I just searched the Bryce freestuff for X-Ray, Xray, Ray, X, and then I left the search criteriablenk, but I never got any results.  Is the search working?  Anyone know who uploaded the X-Ray materials?

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 7:34 PM

check page one on this post.. you'll find the link...

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 7:38 PM

Erosiaart, how is it going? Getting any success??? I haven't been able to play with it like I wanted. I downloaded the flowers (Hurrah!!!) and am trying to get it to work right... Somehow I end up with b&w flowers... not exactly x-rays...

Will try again tomorroe.

TS

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 7:55 PM

:thumbupboth:

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 9:03 PM

thunderstone..did the one on this page..that pink flower... sorta getting here..
the original pix are a bit more brighter and detailed...
still working on it..
see what you can come up with. the more meshes you have to work with the better..sicne you can go into detail.. ie.. texture each one separately and reduce/increase the transperency and change the color..
did you download the originals..since there is also the given sky you need to use..
Angelouscuitry - are you getting involved in this too?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 9:18 PM

What kind of flower would you like?

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 9:28 PM

all sorts..any...  anything where I can use that mat and play around with it..

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 9:35 PM

Quote - thunderstone..did the one on this page..that pink flower... sorta getting here..
the original pix are a bit more brighter and detailed...
still working on it..
see what you can come up with. the more meshes you have to work with the better..sicne you can go into detail.. ie.. texture each one separately and reduce/increase the transperency and change the color..
did you download the originals..since there is also the given sky you need to use..

Yeah I d/l the originals... Play around with them and them bones! Remember? Cursing poser skeleton/?? D/L the flowers.  Well some of them. Haven't had a chance to really put them to use at the moment. Was trying to finish up a personal project of mine... Sky fx... did that now have a blank slate with which to work with. Hmmm... you gave me an idea with the above. Going to bed now. Will work on them some what in the morn before work.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 7:16 AM

file_400834.jpg

**erosiaart: ** I did it

Here is the poinsetta I used from a previous render in all its x-ray glory. I only did the leaves and the stem and the berries. Left the pot alone ...

Took me a while to figure out the color inversions... But once I got that, the rest was easy. Also using the object mask created by Bryce helps with selections within Photoshop as it is solid b&w.
It's just a matter of duplicating the layer to the appropriate file(s) and manipulating it as a selection item with the magic wand.  I also used within Photoshop, the hue and saturation adjustment to adjust the lightness and darkness of the item I wanted adjusted.

Interesting... Now I'm off to work... will stop in later...

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 7:33 AM

thunderstone..start from scratch..when u get back...
i do like it...xept i thinkt he xray bit should be a bit more transparent..
how did you use the mask..etc??
happy day at work!

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 9:41 AM

On break... (at home now... doing telecommute is fun.... )

Color inversions:
All shades of the following colors when inverted will be within the same color inversion series:

• Original Color:    Inverted Color
  • Magenta:                 Green
  • Blue:                         Yellow
  • Cyan:                          Red
  • Yellow:                      Blue
  • Red:                           Cyan
  • Green:                  Magenta
  • White                      Black

When you use the x-ray mat, you need to remember the inversion factor (as I called it).

As for the mask... When you finish rendering the finished product to disk, go back and select the different objects and re-render it with the object mask and save to disk. Make sure the view has not been changed or the objects moved.  I always used PSD format for the layer. Then in photoshop, open up both the rendered and the mask psd. Duplicate the layer in the mask psd over to the rendered psd file. The object mask will serve as a selection aid. Set the magic wand sensitivity to 2 and you can either one of the 2 things, you can select either the white or the black. This is how I used the object mask within Photoshop. I used the mask to isolate the objects to do a little photoshop magic.

As for the transparency... I guess I could bump up the transparency within the mat up to about 85 and re-render and use a lighter shade of cyan but you got to remember real world density of matter in order to make it more real? in the laser fashion.  (For me that is)...

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:15 PM

file_400846.jpg

Okay here is another flower... Lily of the Valley. This is my 7th try ... Had to do massive color pump up with the 2 center stems for it to show color on the inversion. Seems if you want to do thin stems and the like you will need to do the render on superfine and pump up the hsl in photoshop or whatever image editor program you use.

Either that or use a different flower with thicker stems.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 6:56 PM

file_400861.jpg

Inversion?  Not sure what you mean there.

I've had a try with some Agapanthus, sort of works... a bit.  But I don't have any more complex flowers than that one.

Pity we can't get hold of flowers like in the original link.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 7:08 PM

file_400864.jpg

Hey, managed to get the black background, and you can see what I mean about the other flowers, that daisy doesn't work nearly as well as the Agapanthus.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.