Sat, Sep 21, 3:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: OT: you all ready for the black hole?

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 8:13 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:32 PM

the large hadron collider opens tomorrow, finding it amusing all the people who fear it will create a black hole and swallow us all up.

then again, i read somewhere when the u.s. detonated the first atom bomb, theory held that it could produce a much less limited chain reaction that could kill us all.  they did it anyway :

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 9:10 PM

I'll tape it and watch it on Friday :) If there is a friday :)  

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 9:22 PM

Quote -
then again, i read somewhere when the u.s. detonated the first atom bomb, theory held that it could produce a much less limited chain reaction that could kill us all.  they did it anyway :

i remember reading something about that. I think it was something like there was an incredibly remote possibility that the atom bomb could ignite the entire atmosphere or something like that. That was a few years ago so my memory is pretty hazy on that.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 9:39 PM

According to some details in New Scientist magazine, CERN will be
running through a gradual set of tests for the next few months.  The
accelerator won't reach the kind of high energies that could cause
these "singularities" until maybe January. 

Isn't that grand?  At least we have a few months of grace.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 10:21 PM

Yes, there was a fear that detonating an atom bomb could vaporize the atmosphere through a chain reaction of the accelerated particles.  Of course, this never happened.

Well, think of it this way.  If the CERN Hadron collider experiment creates a black hole (i.e.: tears a hole in space-time), you won't be any the wiser as you and the rest of Earth will be shredded into subatomic particles before you know it.

True, the gravitational destruction will propagate at the speed of light (at best) but for the size of the planet that would only be a few seconds.  And most likely, after it gobbles the Earth and Moon, the small amount of matter injested won't be enough for it to effect the rest of the solar system in the short-term (only in the long term since there wouldn't be an Earth orbit and gravitational system anymore).  Just as proposed for galactic black holes, once the matter within a distance is devoured, other matter further out will be relatively safe (until the black hole starts moving).

Nice knowing you all. ;)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 10:27 PM

Don't worry...I'm powering up the positron framistat.  It'll negate any blackholes should they develope.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 11:13 PM

some egghead was worried that the h-bomb would ignite the terrestrial atmosphere, due
to his lack of understanding of thermodynamics and molecular nitrogen gas.
some other areas of confusion for many:

1. humans don't have the ability to create super-massive objects
  2. no extra-terrestrial interstellar vehicle has visited this planet
  3. time travel from the future is impossible
    anybody who's concerned about these things should always wear his aluminium hat. :lol:

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 11:43 PM

Darn you, Miss Nancy!  Darn you to hell!!!! ;)

Actually, I agree wholeheartedly (if not with a bit of resilience).  It would be great if time travel were possible (thus allowing both 2 and 3) but it appears to be anon.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

arcebus ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:16 AM

*Yes, there was a fear that detonating an atom bomb could vaporize the atmosphere through a chain reaction of the accelerated particles.  Of course, this never happened.

WRONG

It happened. The atmosphere exploded. We all went to hell. But the devil found it a bit boring to have us all around. Found it more funny to make us believe there is a real live.
So he sent us all back.

And gave us Poser.

Yes, I still take my medication.

www.skin2pix.com

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:19 AM

;)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

TheOwl ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 1:11 AM

The matrix has you.

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 2:04 AM

I have returned from the future to let you all know that the experiment went according to plan & the Earth survived.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

arcebus ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:13 AM

*I have returned from the future to let you all know that the experiment went according to plan & the Earth survived.

Well - maybe next time! Or this afternoon, when they repeat their experiment, but this time with the power plugged in ...

www.skin2pix.com

flibbits ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:20 AM

The singularities created, if they happen, would have such tiny event horizons that they wouldn't suck a thing in before they collapsed on themselves.

If you listen to Art Bell (Coast to Coast) two things happened a few years ago.  One is that a remote viewer claimed an asteroid was headed for the Earth.  It was going to be the kill shot that destroys all life on the planet.  The second thing was other guests claimed a mysterious object was approaching from the direction of the sun, so that nobody could get a clear look at it through a telescope.

Was this mysterious object the kill shot rock?

After the date the kill shot date passed the answer was reported.  The mysterious object was an alien craft.  It came to save Earth, moving the entire planet into a new solar system with a very similar sun and with a star pattern that would look identical from the planet.  The asteroid did pass through where Earth would have been, but the Earth had been moved.

"The sun does look a little more yellow" Art Bell constantly says.

Maybe a black hole will result from this new collider, but aliens or people from the future will save us without us ever knowing about it.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 4:04 AM

:lol: "Maybe a black hole will result from this new collider, but aliens or people from the future will save us without us ever knowing about it."

If people from the future saved us, would we know it? If they didn't stick around and claim credit?

Black hole without mass? Hehehehehehehehehehe:laugh:  Next talking without gas! Fashion without Bill Blass! Mowing without Grass! Drinking without glass! (Alrighty--got me on that one!. without plastic,too --doesn't rhyme.):lol:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 5:50 AM

Attached Link: On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

> Quote - anybody who's concerned about these things should always wear his aluminium hat.

Ah, no, that's what they want you to do. It's been scientifically proven that wearing an aluminium foil hat actually intensifies the government mind control rays.

giorgio_2004 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 6:15 AM

I have seen the (fake) home page of  "Repubblica", the most important Italian online newspaper.

It reads:

"It's the world end! CERN confirms it!"
"Switzerland already sucked into the black hole."
"The Pope: ok, let's pray, but I cannot guarantee anything"
"Berlusconi: at least the Alitalia problem is solved"

giorgio_2004 here, ksabers on XBox Live, PSN  and everywhere else.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 7:02 AM

I thought the concern was, that several tiny black holes would be created, but that some scientists feared that after about 4 years, all these blackholes would coelesce to form a big one that could cause problems.  So It hink you have another 4 years to worry about it.  At least until poser 8 is released.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 7:16 AM

....and all they do today is shoot it in ONE direction... to test if it goes around..
So NO collision is done..so how are we gonna get a balck hole without a collision..

they wont tell us when the system actualy goes make them smash into eachother...

So for a simple one way test there is a lot of buzzzz for nothing.....

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 7:24 AM

well, actually it was. This is Earth Mark 2....;) The search for the Ultimate Question goes on...;)

They had a piece on it on NPR this morning. The Black holes wouldn't last long enough to do anything. Strangely, one disappeared into the past, and was found in Calcutta in the 18th Century...;) j/k...;)

I went to the future and saw Poser 8 (just to get us more on track), but I couldn't afford it even then...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 7:41 AM

We were actually talking about this last night at home before (with great necessity) went to bed, LOL.....Joe asked me what I thought if the world ended with the supercollider....I replied "At least they finally released Spore...."

It was at that point when I  realized I needed sleep.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Plutom ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 10:00 AM

Well, guess I'll add me two cents in.  What will happen is that a packet of protons will collide with each other from different ends at sufficient energy levels that will  break both proton packets up into the particles of matter ( quarks, and leptons) and the particles of force (bosons).  They want to study the strong and weak nuclear forces, and electromagnetic energy as well as the elusive Higgs field.  

They want to know why a neutron decays into a proton and electron instead of a proton decaying into a neutron.

want to study the different colors of quarks, their spins, symmetry
                                 how glueons work, what make up glueons
                                 and what the heck is the Higgs field or force that keeps matter the way it is.

Now, our star, the Sun has been plowing protons together for around 4.5 billion year and we are still here.  We have also done it for the last 50 years, combining protons together and releasing ity bettie packets of photons in all ranges of the electromagetic spectrum.
-we call it a hydrogen bomb detonation.  Jan 

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 10:11 AM

So are we dead yet ? :)

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Plutom ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 10:23 AM

Oh yes, just wait until the Internation Linear Collider  (ILC) is built.  That beast takes a laser that blast Electrons from gallium arsenide, converts half of those puppies into positrons, then smashing the electron and positron packets into each other and viewing the results in the resulting annilation.

The difference between the LHC and the ILC, the former is a sledge hammer in cracking the atom, the latter is a scapel diving deeper into the soup.  Jan

Where did I get that information-could say I discovered it all by myself-YEAH RIGHT!  I grabbed a hold of Scientific American magazine Feb 2008 issue.  It has a superb series of articles on the stuff that I had to read about 30 times to partially understand.

First approach:  The article had English words, proper sentence and paragraph formation.  I understood each word and what it suppose to mean, when I got to the end of the sentence, that's when I had to go back and re read it around 30 times.  Then the paragraph, yep another 30 times, then the complete articles, yep another round of re reads--sort of like studying advanced University math courses and dropping the classes shortly after.  Jan

icprncss2 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 10:34 AM

You guys take all the fun out of hysteria.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 10:48 AM

As one of my old bosses used to say, "Don't confuse me with the facts". :-) 

nyguy ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 11:17 AM

Quote - As one of my old bosses used to say, "Don't confuse me with the facts". :-) 

Thought that was a quote from a president?

Any how back to the "matter" at hand... could not pass that up :)

Some Egghead from the local College here stated that even if we where to create a black hole it would burn itself out in less than a nano second. He thinks that we would need a Super Collider the circumference the size of the Earth to create a black hole large enough to do any damage.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 11:30 AM · edited Wed, 10 September 2008 at 11:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/09/10/scicern410.xml

Wow! How exciting!

Theoretically they could end up producing not only matter, but also antimatter. And if they could find a way to harness and store  the antimatter, they could produce the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. Or at the very least a source of energy that could power the world a million times over!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:29 PM

Like Hydrogen fusion, it takes a lot more energy to produce anti-matter to produce energy than the anti-matter releases. LOL :lol:  You can't take over the world with solar and wind power. LOL

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:37 PM

You can't take over the world with solar and wind power. LOL

actually.... you can with Solar, just not down here on the ground.

now if you have a space tether, some satellites at the LaGrange Points......

nyguy ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 1:22 PM

Quote -   You can't take over the world with solar and wind power.

If I had the time I might be able to. Lets see I would need 5 yards of red yard, a bottle of Vodaka, 3 pairs of  socks and a Llama, oh never mind wrong list

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Elfwine ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 2:16 PM

As I understand it, the controversy surrounds theory. It is theoretical that a quantum-scale black hole might form at the enormous energies of the LHC. It is also theoretical that black holes can 'evaporate' (Stephen Hawking). If a quantum-sized black hole forms and evaporates, the scientists will know it as it releases energy. However, if it does not evaporate, no one will see it as it will just pass through all the target material meant to stop most of the high-energy particles created in the collisions and speed its way through everything else. One scientist calculated that it would take a minimum of four years before it could grow large enough to swallow the Earth. And that, folks, would be the year 2012, the same year the Mian calendar ends. But... what's that pin-point bright shiny thing coming up through the floor?!? Oh no! It's a.... AAAAAaaaaaarrrrggggg!! .....*

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 2:59 PM · edited Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:02 PM

No, no, no, you've all gotten it completely wrong.  The atmosphere isn't going to catch fire, and there won't be any black holes.  Everybody knows that.

What's actually happened is that the official government types have succeeded in tearing open a hole into another dimension: and numerous hellish creatures of various descriptions -- but all of them with a taste for human flesh -- have come pouring out of that hole and have completely infested the facility.  But not to worry: a tough, lone Marine PFC who was on temporary leave has gone in......and now there are reports of loud gunfire, explosions, and hideous roars heard echoing back from within the facility.  So, no doubt, that heroic lone Marine will take care of this minor issue for us.  We can all relax.

Oh, yeah -- I forgot to mention that the researchers who were responsible for building that facility did everybody a huge favor by leaving a gazillion caches of ammunition, advanced military-grade weapons, grenades of every description, body armor, and instant-healing potions scattered all over the facility.  Thus: it shouldn't be any big deal.  Mr. Lone Marine can handle the monsters for us......our only duty should be to begin polishing up that Congressional Medal of Honor for him, whenever he comes back out.

I just hope that he doesn't have too much trouble with the Boss on Level 3..........

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:28 PM

**XENOPHONZ
now that's a scenario i can live with

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:41 PM · edited Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:45 PM

Quote - 1. humans don't have the ability to create super-massive objects

Oh, yeah?  Well, what about government bureaucracy and regulations?  Not to mention taxes -- which if you think about it: function in precisely the same manner that a black hole does.

Quote - 2. no extra-terrestrial interstellar vehicle has visited this planet

Aliens built the pyramids......including the pyramids in South America.

Quote - 3. time travel from the future is impossible

Now that sets up a paradox: if we can extrapolate that time travel into the future is possible.

Given that time travel from the future is impossible: then how would a time traveler coming up from the past return back to the temporal plane of his own origin......so that he could have the children that history indicated that he'd produced in his lifetime?

If a time traveler came from the past: then would all of his descendants instantly disappear, because of the fact that their great-great grandfather traveled into the future: and then found that he couldn't return back to the past again?  These are deep matters to contemplate.......

Quote - anybody who's concerned about these things should always wear his aluminium hat. :lol:

I understand that aluminum-hat wearing is all the fashion rage among the avid fans of grocery store tabloids.  But such a complete lack of fashion sense just goes to show you how dumb they all are.  People who are smart and in-the-know are logically-minded enough to realize that wearing aluminum hats won't do them any good at all.  The correct material to use is gold-anodized pot metal.  Anything else stems from nothing but foolish paranoia.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:59 PM

actually time travel is possible; you detach yourself from the 3-dimensional framework of the Universe, then travel along the 4th dimension. However, *the Universe is in motion....

*arriving at your destination, you are instantly dropped into the interstellar void, to join the millions of mad scientists of countless millinos of species, to a point where your planet was x amount of time ago...;) Anoixia is the chief killer of time travelers, followed by radiation burns and boiling/freezing...;)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 4:37 PM

Quote - People who are smart and in-the-know are logically-minded enough to realize that wearing aluminum hats won't do them any good at all.  The correct material to use is gold-anodized pot metal.  Anything else stems from nothing but foolish paranoia.

I had hoped that underlined passage was a link, which I could follow to buy some gold-anodized pot metal headgear, or maybe make my own. How disappointing.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 5:31 PM · edited Wed, 10 September 2008 at 5:33 PM

Sorry about that -- but of course: you'll appreciate the fact that those of us who understand these things must keep our secrets.  We can't have the Illuminati finding out that we are on to their little schemes.  Plus there's the fact that providing that link in a public forum like this might tip off the NSA, too.  And if that were to happen, then who knows what the reaction of the Federal Reserve would be?  So.......listing that link openly would simply comprise too much of a risk.  I'd consider forwarding the link to you via IM, but how do I know that you don't work for the CIA?

sigh  Stuff like this has been so uncertain ever since Atlantis sank into the sea off the coast of Brazil.  You just can't tell who you can trust anymore.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 5:32 PM

OK -- now I get it -- you're a member of the Knights Templar, aren't you?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 6:45 PM

Buckaroo Bonza comes to mind.

patorak ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 8:05 PM

*People who are smart and in-the-know are logically-minded enough to realize that wearing aluminum hats won't do them any good at all.  The correct material to use is gold-anodized pot metal.  Anything else stems from nothing but foolish paranoia.

The only problem with gold-anodized pot metal is that the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces are not balanced. The anodizing process creates an imbalance of the electromagnetic forces,  thus over shadowing the strong and weak forces.  If one applies oscillation via the framistat then i'm afraid the outtake manifolds will fuse and the firing sequence of the positron will abort.  Reynold's wrap is much better.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 8:32 PM

The world ended when Tom Brady was hit in the knee ending the football season! Hehehehe!

My Facebook Page

bevans84 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 9:12 PM

Didn't Steven Wright build a time machine in his garage, except it only went forward at regular speed?

patorak ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 9:47 PM

*Didn't Steven Wright build a time machine in his garage, except it only went forward at regular speed?

Yep.   His latest model has the Allison turbo 800 transmission installed.  He can now go forward and reverse.  Also has a passing gear.

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 2:42 AM · edited Thu, 11 September 2008 at 2:43 AM

Black holes belong to science fiction. Singularities only exist in mathematics and not in real world and time is not imaginary!

Stupidity also evolves!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 3:09 AM

Quote - how do I know that you don't work for the CIA?

Since the brainwashing, not even I know whether I work for the CIA. That's probably for the best.

donquixote ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 3:42 AM · edited Thu, 11 September 2008 at 3:44 AM

As far as I can tell (and remember after reading these posts), no one has actually answered the question yet. So I will.

Yeah. All things considered, I think I'm about ready for the black hole.

Thanks for asking, and nice knowing, er, not really knowing you.

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 5:02 AM

Don't worry about the black hole, Russians are making the white hole and Chinese sells the yellow hole 100 for 1.00 $

Stupidity also evolves!

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 7:45 AM

that's because if we knew the answer, we wouldn't have built the collider...;) watch this planet...;)

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 4:23 PM

ok. it's up, it's running.

when do they load the Cheddar Cheese into the impact chamber?

roobol ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 4:26 PM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.