Fri, Oct 4, 2:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Michael 4 is HERE!!

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:27 AM

BB you need a marketing and PR department.

Not to mention a sales department!

Maybe if you charged $1000 for a one-seat license. That would get some attention.

Or... interacting with OptiTex about broad licensing..........

http://www.optitex.com/index.php

MatMatic+Loom could become a lot more visible if/when DAZ release its "dynamic cloth" functionality for DazStudio, which is a subset of the OptiTex system. Supposedly Dan Farr has indicated in the last week or two that this long-promised inovation will finally see the light of day before the end of this year.

Is there anything completely unique about the Poser material nodes that would prevent your core functionality from being re-engineered into a different shader system? Or...is there a way to bake procedural results into a bit-mapped texture?

We are flying seemingly Off Topic.....but you know the subject of clothing options for M4 is huge over at Daz, and if people could see how easy dynamic clothing can be, plus have procedural cloth materials...

::::: Opera :::::

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 12:59 PM

PR department and marketing is needed. I never heard of the Loom and I didn't fall off the turnip truck a couple of minutes ago! I hop around the poser sites like a pogo stick and I never saw mention of it until now.

You need professional PR people, BB. :laugh:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:15 PM

Next thing you know BB will tell us he finished that procedural wood shader system (with beveled edges) and it's been available for a long time.

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:18 PM

file_416358.jpg

Just so no one screams about us dragging the thread off topic, here's a new M4 render.....

Click for Full Resolution.

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:20 PM

file_416359.jpg

V4 has been waiting for him a long time. She's not going to stop touching him for a long time.

:: og ::

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:21 PM

Quote - Is there anything completely unique about the Poser material nodes that would prevent your core functionality from being re-engineered into a different shader system? Or...is there a way to bake procedural results into a bit-mapped texture?

Yes to the first - at least in the simple 1:1 conversion sense, although most heavy duty renderers have an extensible shading system and he could write whatever shader he wanted; and no to the second.

My Freebies

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:24 PM

Yeah, I'm sure there is no way to automate a conversion between one system's shader system and Poser's, but as you inferred I was just wondering about a complete recreation of the product in other software, his research and approach being the 'retained value' that translates.

:: og ::

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:35 PM

Err I mean YES to the second, these textures could be very easily baked into a bitmap, oops.

My Freebies

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 2:44 PM

LOL as BB's temporary PR people we should then say "Hey, why do you want to bake them into a static bitmap when I went thru all this trouble to make them procedural."

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:13 PM

Baking them actually works for a couple reasons. One is that if you make a big enough procedural it becomes slower than an image map. Second, the texture filtering of an image map can be an advantage when viewed from a big enough distance.

Yes you can bake procedural patterns in Poser - good self-catch there pjz99. :) I've posted on this in regard to the Loom before.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:15 PM

Quote - SO any math reducible texture can be used in this? Or ANY texture can be used in this? I am curious.

Not exactly any texture. Any cloth pattern that could be made on a real Jacquard Loom can be made by my script. Many patterns that could not be made on a a Jacquard Loom can be made by my script.

And, if you ask it to, it can superimpose any image whatsoever onto cloth, as in tapestry or a what is commonly called a "print", like a "print" dress.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:16 PM

Quote - Next thing you know BB will tell us he finished that procedural wood shader system (with beveled edges) and it's been available for a long time.

It is finished. It has not been released. I want an awesome UI for it. I"m close to a solution.

I have many shaders you've never seen because they need a UI that can handle a couple hundred parameters.

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:17 PM

ok cool. on the baking

my weekend adventures with M4/CoolSuitMesh/dyamic cloth sim/Loom are on pause for 'extraneous reasons' and it is driving me nuts!

Hey, sidebar....I thru M4 into the PoserPro walk designer, showed it where the CR2 was and low and behold: Quite good walk cycle.

::: og :::

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:21 PM

Quote - > Quote - Next thing you know BB will tell us he finished that procedural wood shader system (with beveled edges) and it's been available for a long time.

It is finished. It has not been released. I want an awesome UI for it. I"m close to a solution.

I have many shaders you've never seen because they need a UI that can handle a couple hundred parameters.

:::: shaking head in amazment :::::

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:23 PM

Quote - BB you need a marketing and PR department.

Working on it. I switched to consulting a year ago. I have been over-worked ever since. I have a project that has finally finished, and I'm not filling in the remaining time with a new contract. Instead I'm working on graphics.

Quote - Maybe if you charged $1000 for a one-seat license. That would get some attention.

Actually I'm interested in charging way more than that :)

Quote - Is there anything completely unique about the Poser material nodes that would prevent your core functionality from being re-engineered into a different shader system?

Well there might be some things that are harder or easier, but I could probably do it in any 3D product. It's not that hard really, in an objective sense. There is some excruciating cleverness in what I did and you have to hold a lot of stuff in your head simultaneously to understand how it works, but I could replicate it using many different technologies. As well, if I could just program the damn thing straight up instead of having to express it as a shader, it would be very easy to embed in any software application.

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:27 PM

::::: downloading Loom before BBMarketing puts a $24,000 price tag on it :::::

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:49 PM

quote:
*::::: downloading Loom before BBMarketing puts a $24,000 price tag on it :::::

*:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So you're not such a capitalist after all!

I've used some loom shaders in my free V4 springtime outfit, works great if you ignore the preview.

regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:54 PM

with three laughy-smilies I trust you are cracking a joke, so I'll hit back with same:

Well, I'f Im too late and he puts it at 20,000, I'll get the Obama administration to sue him for price gouging.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 7:25 PM

Operaguy, please read my  tagline, we will never agree on politics, (I just couldn't resist)  so let's agree on other things, as I mentioned on the DAZ-forum.
 Bagginsbill has made some great products: Matmathic, VSS, and his fantastic shaders in the node cult of RDNA, and I still wonder why he hasn't entered the market with it.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 1:01 PM

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 3:01 PM

not very happy with M4. i am having a hard time posing him. you pull hte feet and the whole leg is rotating. some poses are impossible to make. but they should be a piece of cake.
ffor some basic poses its good but for complex it fails on every level.
positive: muscle morphs. i like the biceps and triceps morphs. very realistic.

but still not good enough.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 11:27 AM

It's so much easier to add body hair, than removing it. 

M4 has monsters in his bedroom.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 11:30 AM

Quote - Baking them actually works for a couple reasons. One is that if you make a big enough procedural it becomes slower than an image map. Second, the texture filtering of an image map can be an advantage when viewed from a big enough distance.

Yes you can bake procedural patterns in Poser - good self-catch there pjz99. :) I've posted on this in regard to the Loom before.

Cool.  Do you have a tutorial out on how to bake in Poser?

Thanks. 

Cheers,
Lara

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 3:53 PM · edited Fri, 21 November 2008 at 3:56 PM

Quote - Do you have a tutorial out on how to bake in Poser?

I think I wrote about it in some thread a long time ago. I can't find it.

The technique is really very simple. You create a scene with just a rectangular prop. You load a shader on it and render it. You save the resulting pattern as an image. You then use it in other materials.

If you are trying to create a seamless tile, this is much trickier and requires that the pattern be geometrically seamless and that you render 100% of the pattern. This is harder to do with a prop. It is easier to do if you put the shader on the Poser Background instead.

The only things that work well for this are patterns - not things that depend on lighting angles, such as bumpy surfaces. The shader you're baking should not have any Diffuse_Value or Specular_Value. It should just be a pattern plugged into the Alternate_Diffuse channel and not use any lighting nodes in it.

I occasionally use this technique to capture the results of really complicated materials, such as a cloth shader that produces thousands of tiny threads and fibers. The resulting image is fine to use as a seamless tile. It produces essentially the same output with very little computation.

But noise-based patterns coming from nodes like Fractal_Sum and fBm are not seamless. You have to be careful with patterns like that.

If you're just doing light-weight shaders, such as stripes and whatnot, this is not worth the effort unless you're trying to make image maps for use in other applications where you don't have Poser nodes.

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 4:43 AM · edited Sun, 23 November 2008 at 4:43 AM

Well, I've installed this stupid dude M4... I installed zillions of DAZ products and NEVER found such mistakes like this (looks like as DAZ3D is growing and growing, its products are worse finished...)

Poser7. I installed him (Poser installation). I try to open him: first bug. 'Please locate M4BODYGrps.pz2'. What the hell is this??? Not allocated in my HD, neither in the readme file!!!

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 4:49 AM · edited Sun, 23 November 2008 at 4:52 AM

yeah you really need to instal a lot of stuff.
it  is not very handy.

plus moving hes arms and legs around is very hard iMO. at least from a guy who works with apollo everyday.

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 4:51 AM

Okay. Someone wrote a handbook anywhere???

CASETTE
=======

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 7:21 AM

His base figure doesn't have grasp or spread dials!  Good Gosh!  Even almost free figures worth their snuff have THAT! Holy cow! What is wrong with these bozos?

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 8:26 AM

The base figure simply doesn't install. If the base figure needs additional products... what a deal :cursing:

CASETTE
=======

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.