Thu, Oct 3, 1:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Faceshop Pro 4

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 9:26 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:33 PM

Anyone using this and if so is it any better than the previous versions, or are Daz and this guy just getting another $30 off of us?
Cynical? Yeah...a bit.

artposer ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 10:46 AM

Well I am using it but it is not much better     The V4 mesh does not import at all as a morph and the texture is barely usable I have to go in to PS And do alot more work to it

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 11:01 AM

Thanks, saved me some money. I wish Daz would stop letting folks sell software that really isn't that good. I used to trust stuff they sold, but lately been getting some real crap and the Daz name is not enough to get me to buy it anymore.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 2:08 PM

I looked at this new update and there doesn't seem to be much of which to speak.  This type of thing is not easy to do for sure, but $30 to upgrade gives me what exactly?

1. MorphBrush
    1. TextureBrush Work Directly on Your Shapes/Textures, Retouch Freely!
  • As a standalone import/export to Poser, Maya, 3D Max and other 3D applications
  • New EASY 3-point interface
  • Improved Texture mapping
  • Improved 'Mirror' feature
  • Up to 4098x4098 pixels output
  • New 'Profile' features profile matching
  • New 'Watch-me' video at your fingertips
  • New Manual
  • Moveable dialogs, resizable window
  • Interactive 'Tooltips'

The final four items are nothing that should indicate a new major version - these should be given for any new major version.  It boils down to two new improved features and two features which don't seem to improve my output much (I can do morphing and texturing in other apps).

In my case, it isn't the photo-texturing that is most important either.  It is the shaping of the geometry to match the head in the photo that is my goal.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

artposer ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 2:49 PM

First of all I purchased it and I have yet to find the new manual or the new watch me video? So as far as the texture brush and the morph brush I do not have a clue?

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 5:40 AM

can someon really explain me this software? i am looking at google and i can not even find the official site.

for example:
you load a side pic of a head. and the software will then change the mesh of the figure so that the head looks like on the pic? can this be used for any figure or just the poser figures? 
i saw a plug in for photoshop. is this only for photoshop or for poser or a seperate software?

artposer ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 5:45 AM

there is no site I would not have bought it... If you did get your money back.Daz is the home page for it.. they will gladly refund your money

spod ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 12:32 PM

There is a web site:  www.abalonellc.com

They are very helpful with support, and the program is well worth the price.  All you need to do is avoid using the included template heads if you have your own character.  (Export from poser, process in Faceshop, import morph and apply texture. )  A little post work is a small matter for the quality you get for the price.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 12:39 PM

sounds interesting.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 12:40 PM · edited Mon, 17 November 2008 at 12:42 PM

Quote - There is a web site:  www.abalonellc.com

They are very helpful with support, and the program is well worth the price.

To each his or her own opinion.
I tossed my copy in The Cyber Trash and frankly find their customer suppoty useless.

FS IMHO has pretty much a Customer Pays for Beta testing since the very first release, this is no different.
And to show their appreciation for loyal customers, Zero Discount on Update to FS4.
Between the Original Purchase and this Update, it would amount to about what I paid for Poser 7.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

artposer ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 12:41 PM

Okay thanks for the update I will give it a go spod!!!!!!!!!!

spod ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2008 at 4:17 PM

Mariner:

I only relate my own experience, and cannot speak for any one else.  My prejudices are that I see them doing something that I (a non-programmer and poser hobbyist) thought should have been done long ago.  For instance, why can a much larger lot like the serial Poser owners not handle face room algorithms for more than their included characters?  I also see no reasonable alternative.  I have used the program to generate faces for Aiko, Steph3, V3, V4, M3, Sydney, James, Posette, Judy, Don and V2, and they come into Poser directly, with results as good as anything I have seen from Facegen, at 10 times the upgrade price.  I do not go in much for 'celebrity' likenesses, but the prices on those are pretty stiff.  Finally, it is possible that I do not get as irritated as easily as I should, since I deal with Government officials on a daily basis.  Now that is maddening. 

I get the impression that they are a very small enterprise (1.  Their adverts are often goofy and contradictory, as though the preparer never asked 'how does this communicate?'  2.  The code is apparently addressed to best work in an XP environment, which suggests the programmers are few, and the operation small.)  

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 2:15 AM

whats facegen? is this a similar software? can we use poser figures for this? 

milanautica ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 4:26 AM

ice-boy: facegen generates faces from a base mesh. you can also import the v4 head with a LOT of work with facegen customizer.
if you are interested you can find the tutorial here:
http://www.facegen.com/Tyler/CustomizerTutorial.htm

i tried it, the head was there but not the textures so i made a mistake while adjusting the base mesh onto v4's head. very tricky thing... the software also needs a few hours (even on a quad core with 8gig ram) to import v4's head...

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 4:58 AM

coud i import apollo's head or M4 in facegen ? 
looks like faceshop is more made for DAZ and poser right? 

artposer ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 5:25 AM

Facegen is about 300.00 bucks isnt it yikes.............pretty expensive id say

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 7:07 AM

holly s.... thats expensive

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 11:53 AM · edited Fri, 21 November 2008 at 11:55 AM

Attached Link: http://www.abalonellc.com/faceshop-pro.html

file_418407.jpg

> Quote - coud i import apollo's head or M4 in facegen ?  > looks like faceshop is more made for DAZ and poser right? 

Yes, you can import Apollo and most every character as OBJ.
There are many users who use FaceShop with Autodesk 3D Studio Max and Maya.
Videos and manuals are at http://www.abalonellc.com/faceshop-pro.html
As far as tech support, pls. email to info@abalonellc.com

Laslo

Ps. Since yesterday Renderosity also sells the upgrade from FaceShop 3.1, 3.5 and 3.7 Pro to FS4 for $29.99

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 12:03 PM

i meant: can i import apollo in facegen ...make a face...go back in poser?

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 5:18 PM

You export Apollo's head, no neck or stuff. Import to FS, make your morph and export as OBJ. Then import to Poser as morph target. :) Does that help?

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 5:20 PM

Ooops, you want to import to FaceGen, not FS? Hmmm, don't know as I only used a demo version of that and had no export options with it.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 7:53 PM

I am using FaceShop Pro 3.7... is there a way to mirror or flip the resulting morph in Poser? I have been trying to save .obj mirrored one way then the other and then splitting those in Poser to try to make them mixable. Is there a better way? Is there a way to get slightly less asymetrical morphs in FSP without mirroring? I want the asymetry but just not as extreme... I want to blend the two sides onto each other but maybe the degree of asymetry I am getting is due to my technique... any advise? I feel like I got good results from FSP when I started but as time goes on my results are getting more and more asymetrical and lumpy.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 8:54 PM

Quote - I am using FaceShop Pro 3.7... is there a way to mirror or flip the resulting morph in Poser? I have been trying to save .obj mirrored one way then the other and then splitting those in Poser to try to make them mixable. Is there a better way? Is there a way to get slightly less asymetrical morphs in FSP without mirroring? I want the asymetry but just not as extreme... I want to blend the two sides onto each other but maybe the degree of asymetry I am getting is due to my technique... any advise? I feel like I got good results from FSP when I started but as time goes on my results are getting more and more asymetrical and lumpy.

Momodot,

As you know, you can dial degrees of morphs in both Poser and D/S.
I agree that sometimes FS does give you a rough morph. I suggest you don't apply 100% of the morph but dial it down to 60-70%.
(Incidentally, this is also the default setup for FaceShop DAZ Studio plugin - 70%).

Laslo

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 9:10 PM

Thanks. Still though... since my results are getting lumpier and more asymetrical over time I think I must be falling into some error in usage or technique but I can't isolate what I am doing wrong.

Also where have moved the user tip tutorial for 3.7 about prepping the obj or using the standard V4 obj with Poser. I have just migrated to a new machine and when I used the default FSP V4 the morph obj would not load as a morph... I certainly prefer the work flow with the default V4 and M3 in FSP to using imported geometry and I used to be able to use the default by importing the default .obj into Poser at 12.5% or something and exporting it again before re-importing it as a morph. I also tend to get better smoother results using the built-in V4 or M3 but I don't want to have to transition to DS over this one tool.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 10:16 PM

I've found that when my morphs start getting lumpy it's due to me not placing the dots or lines correctly.
If I get tired and my eyes get tired, I make errors.
but when I'm having a good day and get the placements right, I get a really good morph.

This program is like any other, it takes patience, practice and depends on the user.
some are comfortable with it, others aren't.

I so want the latest version but with Christmas close, all my spare cash goes to buying my grand-babies some gifts.
And it will still be a lean Christmas for them...sigh.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 10:38 PM

Blue,

I am trying to launch the upgrade here at Rendo.
Normally it is $29.95 but I hope to launch it at $21.95 (30% off).
I do understand what the current economic situation is - it is probably even worse here in California with the gas still $2,50:-(
Laslo

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 11:02 PM

Gas prices were so bad for a while I had to help my daughter out so she could get back and forth to work.
Almost depleted my account and just squeaked by to pay bills.
Now she is off work for at least 6 months, doctor's orders due to heart problems as well as NFM and she is two months pregnant.
Her hubby has mitral-valve damage to his heart and has fainting spells so he can't work either.
the government cut his SSI down to just over 200.00 a month and they lost the food stamps when she went to work.
Now they'll have to re-apply...sigh.
I'm trying to do what I can to see that her and the little ones don't do without food.
And I see here on the boards that this money crisis is not going on just in America, but all over the world.

That's why I'm pinching my pennies so darn hard lately but a few more sales and I'll have the amount for it. :)

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 11:17 PM

This year is sure a bad year for most everybody :(

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 9:09 AM

If I can get on my soapbox for two seconds:

Things are bad because of the "business as usual" mentality, both in government and private sector. Now that gas prices are down for a few weeks/months, GM is probably already planning a H4 (Hummer 4).
I would not give them any money, period, unless they retool and start to make solar panels and wind generators. Just like in WWII, when they were ordered to stop making cars and build airplanes and tanks instead.

OK, I am down of my soapbox, already feeling better...
Laslo

flibbits ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 11:17 AM

"I would not give them any money, period, unless they retool and start to make solar panels and wind generators."

GM doesn't make power products, they make cars.  Solar panels won't work on cars, nor will wind generators.

The problem isn't their cars.  Toyota had to cut production and jobs too.  The problem is paying union workers $75 an hour to operate a lever in an automated plant.

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 3:07 PM

I once saw an interview where the president of GM said that the cost of labor as reflected in the sticker price of a car is "negligible"... the figure he gave was on the order of 3.7% IRC. I wish I could get legitimate actual figures.

I do know that while pharmaseutical companies like to blame the cost of drugs on R&D in fact that is a far lesser cost then marketing or administration and in fact is nearly matched dollar by dollar by direct and in-direct Federal supports.

Interesting stuff you find when you look at literature from things stockholders publications rather than the media. Companies like to keep two sets of books, one for the mass media and one to try to encourage investors. My research on insurance fraud led to the interesting figure of 97% of insurance fraud being fraud perpetrated on consumers not by consumers according to publications for an audience within the industry and for investors.

But we live in a culture where a player who is the big draw for a team deriving 10% of the gross revenue offends us in a way the owner getting 50% of it does not.

An econmy fails when its workers can not afford the products they are producing. Wealth derives from markets more than production now.

All too OT for me. My comment was intendended to express e a personal sympathy to BluEcho.

renderclipps ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 3:20 PM

Can somebody make me an M3 face please?
Anybody? Help
More info here.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2756270

renderclipps ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 3:25 PM

BTW
Ibought FS4 upgrade yesterday 1) i couldn't download it after paying for it. 2) The FS4 PAGE HAS NOW GONE "This product is not currently available for viewing." Is the only thing on the product page.

After reading this forum I'm starting to think it was a bad move buying it :-(

renderclipps ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 4:40 PM

Thanks Abalone but F.Y.I the link you sent is for the full version. I'm talking about the upgrade, I just checked the link for that and it is still down...
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=67752
I think I'll have to send you an email re my purchase but StaceyG is dealing with my download problem but nearly 24hours and no reply...
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2756220

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 4:42 PM

I can't help you with the M3 but a trick I did when I first got FSP and had better technique was giving P4 Nude Man a M3 shaped face. Fun.

renderclipps ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for replying momodot

I don't think i've got the hang of 3.7 at all. I'm an owner of FS and can't make the head I want. Plus I'm asking other users if they can do it but no positve replies as yet :-(

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 6:19 PM · edited Sat, 22 November 2008 at 6:20 PM

Quote - Thanks Abalone but F.Y.I the link you sent is for the full version. I'm talking about the upgrade, I just checked the link for that and it is still down...
I think I'll have to send you an email re my purchase but StaceyG is dealing with my download problem but nearly 24hours and no reply...
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2756220

There's no difference between the full version and the upgrade - go ahead and download.
The difference is in the activation key.

As for activation key, pls. always write to info@abalonellc.com.
Laslo

renderclipps ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 6:20 PM

I received emails from both StaceyG and AbaloneLLC

so I've now got my serial number ;-) Thanks

In the meantime I was playing around with the classic 3.5 version with much improved results and helped me to understand the program a little better

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 9:42 PM

I wish there would been, at least some kind of support, for Faceshop Pro 3.
I could only find a thread in the forum and not much help there. To me it looked like most of the other users was "lost" too.

I was expecting they would make an upgrade to Pro 3 before trying to sell people Pro 4. I felt Pro 3 to be a rip off.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2008 at 9:53 PM

Quote - I wish there would been, at least some kind of support, for Faceshop Pro 3.
I could only find a thread in the forum and not much help there. To me it looked like most of the other users was "lost" too.

I was expecting they would make an upgrade to Pro 3 before trying to sell people Pro 4. I felt Pro 3 to be a rip off.

Tons of threads going on at DAZ about FaceShop. The reason? DAZ was a lot more supportive of FaceShop than Rendo. There was even a free FaceShop plugin for DAZ Studio.

Incidentally, we had free upgrades from FaceShop 3.1 to FaceShop 3.5, free upgrade to FaceShop 3.7 and lots of tutorials, how-to videos. Fact is, since FaceShop 3.5 the program has built-in!!! videos (see video button).
For How-to videos, tutorials or reviews pls. visit www.abalonellc.com

Laslo

renderclipps ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 12:24 AM

After much trial and error I've managed to complete the task of making a head in FS4. The program is quite good once you get used to it. (However I didn't use any of the new features for this task)

One problem though !!
The instructions I've got seem to be for Daz studio. I have the FS4 standalone version. How do I get my new head into Poser?

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 8:52 AM

Quote - After much trial and error I've managed to complete the task of making a head in FS4. The program is quite good once you get used to it. (However I didn't use any of the new features for this task)

One problem though !!
The instructions I've got seem to be for Daz studio. I have the FS4 standalone version. How do I get my new head into Poser?

Clipps,

Go to http://www.abalonellc.com/watchdemovideo.html
Watch the video called Import FaceShop Faces in Poser

Laslo

renderclipps ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 1:26 PM

hmmm, herein lies the problem...

If I use the FS M3 head and import to poser I get "Target geometry has wrong number of vertices"

If I use Daz M3 head the programs is visibly sluggish but I cannot enter the first dot on the forehead. It does nothing, just sits there and looks at me :-(

I notice that the daz head is approx 6Mb and FS head is just under a meg but I've got a reasonably powered computer so I dont think comp performance is the issue. Running Vista 64bit.

What next Lasio?
Thanks

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 1:32 PM

Quote - hmmm, herein lies the problem...

If I use the FS M3 head and import to poser I get "Target geometry has wrong number of vertices"

If I use Daz M3 head the programs is visibly sluggish but I cannot enter the first dot on the forehead. It does nothing, just sits there and looks at me :-(

I notice that the daz head is approx 6Mb and FS head is just under a meg but I've got a reasonably powered computer so I dont think comp performance is the issue. Running Vista 64bit.

What next Lasio?
Thanks

Not Lasio, Laslo:-)
The point is this: you HAVE to export first a head OBJ from Poser (no eyes, follow instructions in video or manual). Then when import OBJ in FaceShop. When don, export OBJ again and import it back to Poser as a "morph target" basically applying it back to the head your started with.

Good Luck,
Laslo

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2008 at 10:37 PM

I checked on my DAZ account and had some Daz bucks and my member discount so I bought it, yay!!! Now I hope to get some free time to play with it but I've been busy getting the house ready for Thursday. Been here six months and still a lot to unpack and boxes to shift out of the way...sigh. Hard to get much done when you're the only one and not well a good part of the time. I'll be posting some of my work when I get time to do some morphs. :)

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2008 at 9:01 AM

file_418603.jpg

Good deal. Turkey has priority:-) I look forward to seeing your art. Laslo

BTW: in the meantime, here's another one of my renderings.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2008 at 9:57 AM

Now that is good!

santicor ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2008 at 12:55 PM · edited Mon, 24 November 2008 at 1:00 PM

Draw fine 1 pt guidelines on your source image in Photoshop before you import it into Faceshop. Put a line exactly down the center of  forehead down to the middle of lips and chin, make sure you go perfectly through center of nose.(Laslo does state that it is best to get a perfectly posed straight on head shot for best results, he is right - you can find a perfectly positioned shot of almost any major celebrity). Use these guidlines to help place your dots on your image perfectly when you have it imported into FS.( You can go back and remove the fine guidelines from the resulting texture map image later.)
You can actually get PERFECT results  if you have a subject image whose face is relatively symmetrical ( similar eyeshap, similar ears, proportional lips) and you do the following:
After placing guidelines in PS, actually draw dots around the eyeholes and nose  that will act as the actual guide points for where you will place the dots in FS. But do this only for ONE eye and ONE side of the nose. Make sure you draw these dots on  a NEW transparent layer on top of the image, then you duplicate this layer and horizontal flip it, position it so the dots are in the same place on opposing side of the face. Now you have prefectly matched symmetrical eyes, nose,  plus guidelines to get your face lined up right, etc. If you do not like the fact that you are creating a completely symmetrical face, tweak it later in Poser or whatever.

The point if this excersize is that with the guidelines and guide dots, you can get the dots placed in FS excatly where you intend with no mistake. Doing it without guides with that FS arrow  is aggravting- (i used to go BACK  or REMOVE  about 100 times  in one session.)

I do have a criticism of FS version 4.0  and that is that the Vicky morph target that comes ready in FS does not actually map to V 4.2 in Poser, so it is worthless. - I KNOW you can import your own OBJ of V4.2 head,  But it  would be so much easier if the one that is preloaded worked, because the lines are already drawn perfectly for you on the preloaded morph target! 

"When you have to shoot ...

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=3&userid=580115

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2008 at 2:30 PM

Quote - Draw fine 1 pt guidelines on your source image in Photoshop before you import it into Faceshop. Put a line exactly down the center of  forehead down to the middle of lips and chin, make sure you go perfectly through center of nose.(Laslo does state that it is best to get a perfectly posed straight on head shot for best results, he is right - you can find a perfectly positioned shot of almost any major celebrity). Use these guidlines to help place your dots on your image perfectly when you have it imported into FS.( You can go back and remove the fine guidelines from the resulting texture map image later.)
You can actually get PERFECT results  if you have a subject image whose face is relatively symmetrical ( similar eyeshap, similar ears, proportional lips) and you do the following:
After placing guidelines in PS, actually draw dots around the eyeholes and nose  that will act as the actual guide points for where you will place the dots in FS. But do this only for ONE eye and ONE side of the nose. Make sure you draw these dots on  a NEW transparent layer on top of the image, then you duplicate this layer and horizontal flip it, position it so the dots are in the same place on opposing side of the face. Now you have prefectly matched symmetrical eyes, nose,  plus guidelines to get your face lined up right, etc. If you do not like the fact that you are creating a completely symmetrical face, tweak it later in Poser or whatever.

The point if this excersize is that with the guidelines and guide dots, you can get the dots placed in FS excatly where you intend with no mistake. Doing it without guides with that FS arrow  is aggravting- (i used to go BACK  or REMOVE  about 100 times  in one session.)

I do have a criticism of FS version 4.0  and that is that the Vicky morph target that comes ready in FS does not actually map to V 4.2 in Poser, so it is worthless. - I KNOW you can import your own OBJ of V4.2 head,  But it  would be so much easier if the one that is preloaded worked, because the lines are already drawn perfectly for you on the preloaded morph target! 

Santino,

I agree with almost everything you said above - thanks for the time to help others to get good results. The only one remark regards V4.2 - the reason why we choose to work closer with the DAZ Studio as default and not Poser, because FS is sold by DAZ and not by Contempt Paradise. But, as you stated, there's a workaround:-)
Laslo

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2008 at 2:54 PM

Is there an evaluation/trial version of FSP 4 available?

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2008 at 3:16 PM

Quote - Is there an evaluation/trial version of FSP 4 available?

Not yet, sorry.
Laslo

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.