Sat, Oct 5, 6:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: tips to create foreground detailed rock cliff?

lightning2911 ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2009 at 11:48 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 8:56 PM

i cannot remember where i have seen this but i have a memory of a craggy rock cliff. i guess it was some sort of slate where you had all these layers protruding outwards making the surface look kind of like a pile of tiles.

rocktest

this is what i have come up with so far. its a horizontal and vertical stretched voroin 4th neighbour pattern used for displace/bump. but it still looks very geometric. so i would like to know if you have tips for making this more irregular. maybe more bump nodes? or just some good surface colour settings?

thanks in advance
chris

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2009 at 1:30 PM

file_424859.jpg

Interesting you should ask this question as I'm working on exactly the same type of thing:
  1. see the attached image
  2. also check this image out http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1838272

It's a bit tricky when using displacement on curved or irregularly shaped objects/terrains.  I was able to come up with something by using World Cylindrical mapping with a Squares noise node.  I'm still working to try and perfect this and then I will Metanode the variables (e.g. roughness, spacing, etc) and then throw in into my Rock My World - Rock Generator. 

Sue88 ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2009 at 9:30 PM

That looks great!

lightning2911 ( ) posted Wed, 25 February 2009 at 12:26 AM

just when i thought i would not need rock my world :-)

your example looks very good and more in the direction i was hoping to be able to go.

i will try your settings and see what i am able to do.

lightning2911 ( ) posted Wed, 25 February 2009 at 2:12 AM

i played around and this looks great. a new path to experiment ...

first world-cylinder mapping on a cylinder with square noise for bump

square noise

and then i tried the standard chipped material and reversed the bump direction with an opposite filter node.

chipped reversed

now i am looking forward to the rock my world set as i find it very useful for learning to study materials from the pros!

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 25 February 2009 at 8:52 AM

Looking pretty good there lightning - I think you're on the right path

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.