Tue, Sep 24, 4:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 1:55 pm)

Subject: need help on making reflective, slick glass in D|S

Darklorddc ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 2:20 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 5:53 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to make reflective, transparent glass in Daz Studio without using a shader. Going for a slick, sci-fi-ish look. Something very crisp. But I've been experimenting for a few days and I can't get the look I want. Most of the time, when I create a prim and try to texture it, even if I set reflection up to nearly 100%, I get no reflection at all.
Can someone give me some surface setting tips on how to get the slightly mirrored slick glass effect without a preset shader?

I am using rayracing and 3d Delight, in case you're wondering. Have also tried shadowmapping, but shadowmapping and reflections don't seem to like each other much in Daz...

Thanks!

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 2:32 PM

have you tried setting your lighting model to glossy(plastic) or glossy (metallic)? and play with your refraction settings a little bit maybe?  and also try like a shiny metallic looking reflection map in your reflect settings

Darklorddc ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 2:37 PM

I'm trying with glossy plastic. I want to avoid reflection maps because I want it to actually reflect things present in the scenes realistically.

Thanks!

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 2:56 PM

reflection maps just make it so that i plays nicer with the render engine lol i have tried reflections with and without maps and they render faster with a map just something simple like one of the included reflection maps in your texture folder.  it also helps if you have a light hitting the thing you want reflected in the glass

Darklorddc ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 3:33 PM

so a reflection map won't override the natural reflections the glass would have?
In other words, I can use a reflection map, have someone standing next to the glass, and their reflection would still appear?

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 3:40 PM

yeah that's how it should work and does work with say a metal reflection so it should work similar i haven't played with glass settings much yet but reflections i've been playing lots with them trying to get different looks to them

Darklorddc ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 3:44 PM

Quote - yeah that's how it should work and does work with say a metal reflection so it should work similar i haven't played with glass settings much yet but reflections i've been playing lots with them trying to get different looks to them

I had always thought one overrode the other! I have no idea why I thought that. But I thought a reflection map just gave you "fake" reflections.
Huh! You learn something new every day.
Now, where can I find some and how do I use them effectively?

(and thanks so much for the help so far, I really appreciate it).

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 4:01 PM

lol well i just spent about 10 minutes looking up the "daz simple reflection " tut but it seems they don't have one lol maybe if yu look up reflection tutorials here in rendo you may find something that is understandable.  me i'll just keep plugging away til i get the look i like hahahahaha.  half the tuts i see are way over my head so i have to figure it out on my own

renmmk ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 9:22 PM

there is one on ...um...deviant art
use the same search terms there.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 2:40 PM

Yes, applying a map to reflection Colour will exclude actual reflections. That's why it's faster that way - no rays to trace.

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 2:50 PM

Diffuse color 100 100 100. 
Specular, 255 255 255,  I turned Glossiness and Strength both up to 100. 
Multiply through Opacity Off. 
Ambient off, Opacity 3%. 
Reflection 255 255 255 100%. 
Refraction 255 255 255 100% 1.53 
Lighting Model Glossy Plastic.

These are the settings I use for glass.  I tweak where necessary, depending on what kind of glass.  It takes longer, but I prefer the results.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Darklorddc ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 2:57 PM

Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try.

Darklorddc ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 2:57 PM

Quote - Yes, applying a map to reflection Colour will exclude actual reflections. That's why it's faster that way - no rays to trace.

whew, glad to know I'm not off my rocker. I was pretty certain that was the case until yesterday.

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 2:58 PM

You're welcome.  Hope it works for you :)

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.