Thu, Sep 19, 4:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Mapping Problem?

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 1:25 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:17 PM

file_440511.jpg

I've been working with a model of the Enterprise, which is the nicest of the refit moviie models.  However, there is a bizarre problem with the texture on the saucer.  I have Vue6, and am using two maps, one for highlights, and one for reflection.  Mapping is set to Parametric for both, but the maps seem to move whenever I change a setting.  I have no idea how to fix this.  The original model came in from Blender, I believe--I've had the object file for a long time, and only recently started working with it again.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 2:23 PM

how do they move and what setting changes this? :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 2:40 PM

You say they're using parametric coordinates, but wold or object? You want object here. And as Silverbalde asked, what triggers the move? Any setting change or something more specific?

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 2:45 PM

yeah, usually only using WORLD mapping changes an object by moving it, since it's based off the "world" not the object space :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 3:57 PM

silverblade,
Thanks for responding.  I did some experimentation, and what is very weird is that only the settings for specularity seem to cause the problem.  If my attachment isn't too large, you can see what I mean.  There are two maps each for the top and bottom of the saucer.  One is the Aztec pattern, and the other is a block hull plate pattern.  I rendered images with only bump, specularity, and reflection, and one combined Spec-Reflection.

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 4:03 PM

file_440523.jpg

Looks like I'll have to upload 3 images instead of one.  the first shows the two different maps applied as bump, no Spec or Reflec maps.

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 4:05 PM

file_440524.jpg

This second image shows only using REflection map, one hull blocks, the other is Aztec

And the mapping for the object is Parametric Object!

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 4:09 PM

This final image shows using only Spec maps, again one is Aztec, the other the blocks for the hull, and the image on the right shows what happens with the block-plate map in both Spec and Reflection channels.

If you can, look closely especially at the outer rim of the saucer--the distortions that do not appear when the maps are used for bump only or Reflection only!  This seems to be very odd to me.!

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 4:13 PM

file_440527.jpg

One more try, compressing the final image a bit more.  Sorry.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:33 PM · edited Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:35 PM

If the model is properly UV mapped from Blender, you can just use the default automatic mapping and bilinear texturing.  You want to bake three (or four if you like bumps) textures from Blender: Diffuse (color) map, bump map, spec (highlight) map, and reflection map.  Use the Function Editor to attach an image to each material attribute.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:35 PM

Can't bake anything with Vue6 Esprit!

Chocolate Chip cookies sounds good about now, though.........

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:36 PM · edited Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:38 PM

No.  Bake in Blender.  Vue is just for rendering.  If you are doing the textures in Vue then all bets are off.  There's much more work involved.

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:39 PM

What confuses me is why the specularity is distorted, but the same maps are fine when applied as Reflection or Bump.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:40 PM · edited Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:43 PM

Just wait until you try using Displacement.  It shifts all over the place depending on where highlights shifts to.

And keep your value range -1 to 1 (near the material previews).  Don't throw 2's or 3's in there.

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 6:56 PM

I haven't done a whole lot in blender, other than render some models.  Where would I find the commands to bake the textures in Blender to export the model?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 01 October 2009 at 7:18 PM

This was the only texture baking I could find.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q-6S5xdz4

The rest were lighting baking.

redtrek ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 4:14 PM

I thought I found a workaround for the problem, by applying asquares function for highlights, as an additional material layer, mapped spherically, but  the image renders with what looks like a "band" across portions of the object..  It doesn't seem to matter which layer is on top.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 5:24 PM

Increase the range scale of the UV map to 1.01 to close that banding.  Might be a UV seams issue?

redtrek ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 8:57 PM

file_443199.jpg

Here's another set of images.  On the left, The reflection and bump channels are texture mapped (object parametric), and highlight is plain-nothing in the channel.  The second shows what happens when I put a blocks function in the highlight channel, with a plain white color, loaded as a 2nd material layer-(sphereical mapping the 2nd layer)-this image--the "highlight channel" is loaded below the regular layer.  When it is loaded on the top, the band becomes light instead of dark.  The third image shows just the blocks funcition loaded into the hightlight channel, plain white, no reflection or bump added.  The images I sent out originally shows what happens when I load the texture map into the highlight channel--**only in this channel**, mapped parametrically, it is way distorted.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 10:33 PM

I'm modeling something will quick to see if I get the same results as you.

redtrek ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 10:36 PM

file_443206.jpg

This image may finally display the problem I have been having.  I changed the color of the saucer to a middle gray.  On the left, I used the texture map for the highlight channel, and changed the highlight color for added contrast.  On the right, the texture map is in the reflection channel, and highlighting is plain.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 11:12 PM

file_443207.jpg

Ok.  Here is a simple shape with a square pattern used for highlight  (mapping is object - spherical).

You can see that on the right side that there is a seam where the two ends of the square pattern meet.  Kind of messy.

This shape is UV mapped.  If I were to use a JPG texture map of a square pattern for highlighting with, it would turn out a lot better than what Vue can generate without putting more effort into the function editor.

Is your object UV mapped and is your NCC-1701 a JPG texture or is it generated somehow at render time?

redtrek ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 11:42 PM

file_443208.jpg

Shawn, Yes, the object is UV mapped, as far as I can tell.  As I keep trying to explain, the texture maps work on the upper and lower saucers in the Color , Reflection, and Bump channels, but when I use any of the maps in the highlight channel, the highlights are distorted--showing that the map does not map in the highlight channel.  In the attached image, I am using Vary Block Noise to drive the highlight channel, mapped spherically.  In the above image, with red highlights, I used one of the texture maps--I don't remember if it was Aztec or the one with blocks--the results are the same no matter which I use.

redtrek ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 11:45 PM

file_443209.jpg

For comparison again, this image uses the Aztec map in the color channel, instead of the extremely pale color map that is meant to go in the color channel.  The highlight is plain, still with the red color to show up better.

redtrek ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 11:48 PM

Shawn,

The banding that I mentioned, and showed above a couple messages, occurs when I attempt to use a block function for highlights on a 2nd material layer (with spherical mapping), whether that layer is on top or the bottom ( with the original layer using parametric mapping for the reflection and bump and color).  It is not a seam due to the repeat of the function, but some weird artifact when I do layering.

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 12:12 AM

file_443210.jpg

And finally, I am trying to show what I mean by banding.  I used a spiral function to drive the color on a 2nd material layer.  On the left, the 2nd layer is on top, and on the right, the layer is on the bottom.  In both, the alpha boost is at 0.  So, it should be apparent that even when I use a procedural function to try to create a hull-like texture for highlights on a second layer, it doesn't work along with the other layer of color, reflection and bump mapping.  And, if I load one of the maps into the highlight channel, along with the other maps on a single, parametrically mapped  material layer, it doesn't work either.  I also did some experiementing with my still installed Vue 5, and had the same kind of results.  If anyone has an idea of how to get rid of the banding problem when using 2 layers, I can work with that!

greg

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 1:01 AM · edited Tue, 17 November 2009 at 1:10 AM

I would use the function editor only for what you are trying to do.  You'll need to decide how your "layers" are going to blend together such as, ADD, MULTIPLY, etc.  They won't be treated as layers anymore.

The basic and advanced material editors try to auto-control what you're trying to achieve and get in the way.

You would know if your object is UV mapped because you have to do it yourself at some point before importing into Vue.  If so, and that is how you got the NCC-1701 applied, you just need to create color, bump, highlight, and reflection JPG maps and not use the materials generated by Vue at all.

But anyway, for now you need to tell Vue how to blend your functions.  NOTE: blending parametric, cylindrical, and spherical maps together create bands at their cross sections.  I would keep everything mapped as spherical (highlights, reflections, colors, and bumps).

I'm going to try some more tests doing it the way you been.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 1:28 AM · edited Tue, 17 November 2009 at 1:32 AM

It looks like keeping every material type mapped object - spherical should fix the problem.  I tried it using just simple blending for layers (default).

I forgot to mention (just looked at the age of this thread's start date), I have seince moved on to Vue 8 which has mapping fixed.  Vue 7.51 had trouble matching bump/displacement with highlight/color/reflection.  Scaling was always off without a lot of fussing with the settings.

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 2:10 AM

file_443213.jpg

Shawn,

I am not certain what you meant by blending layers--in Vue. ( I can blend layers fine in PSP, but it doesn'[t apply to this)  I created a Simple Material, with Color, bump, and reflection MAPS (provided with the model), all mapped parametrically--which all work as they are suppose to
----I added a second material layer and spherically mapped the vary block noise in the highlight channel of the 2nd layer--this creates the weird band across the center of the saucer.  I have found no way to blend these two together, only the alpha boost applies--unless there is something to drive the alpha function itself--but, as you mentioned, the banding would still happen because of the two different material types (paramet object, and Spherical Object)
Using a noise function in the highlight channel of the material does not work properly when the material is parametrically mapped--which is needed for the other channels.

The registry numbers are not mapped, but are a separate object from the saucer itself.

I am still looking for an answer to my ORIGINAL post,, as to why this  UV mapped object will not properly use a map created for the object, in the highlight channel.  I do not know how I can be any more clear about this problem, and I hope I am not coming across as being rude--I am just very frustrated.

To add to the confusion, I am attaching an image from an original series version of the Enterprise.  On the left, with a plain blue color channel, I used the supplied map for specularity in the highlight channel.  In this instance, I had to  flip the image in PSP so the lettering appears properly.  On the right, the  color map is also used--not flipped ( though the lettering is backwards from the spec map), with the spec map loaded in for highlights, bump, and reflection.---and, except for having to flip vertically the gray scale image, everything works!--This problem only seems to apply to saucer shaped objects--other parts of the ship map correctly.

On the movie Enterprise, I have to wonder if there is something about the UV mapping that works for color, bump and reflection, but is wrong for highlights?--which doesn't make much sense to me.

It also does not make sense that I would have to use a flipped image on the other model (in the channels other than color).  Also, strangely enough, for the TV Enterprise, the preview image shows the lettering backwards, though it renders correctly!

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 2:40 AM

Shawn, I just read your last post, after I was creating my last posting.  Since I am still using Vue 6 Esprit, should I just consider myself stuck?

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 2:57 AM

file_443215.jpg

With all the difficulties I've had, this image represents the best I've been able to get so far.--Anti Aliasing really sucks!  But, I've had some fun and success finally creating better planets.

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 4:07 AM

file_443216.jpg

Here's an image using Spherical mapping for a hull texture that I created some time ago.  Any suggestions would be welcome to get closer to an Aztec type pattern.  The function uses a basic repeater of squares. mixed with varying blocks, driven by a gray and white color map.  The object color is a plain white.  I've tried using a color map, with very pale colors, but I haven't been able to figure a way to get the colors bright-yet just off white--any tests with the color function ends up too dark.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 5:42 AM

No.  Since you mentioned UV mapping and parametric though, can you show what your UV map looks like?

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 3:30 PM

file_443230.jpg

I scanned my entire computer, but could not find the original object file for the model.  (only had my VOBs) So, I went into Blender, and finally managed to export a new object.  However, in UV Mapper, I could not figure out how to get out separate maps of all the parts.--So, I couldn't attach the UV map of the saucer.

I imported the new object into Vue, and had the same issues again.  However, I split the object, and then the saucer mapped properly, even in the highlight channel ( my recent work files of the model also have a split mesh--but have the mapping difficulties)  As another test, I then saved the split model as a VOB, and reloaded it into Vue.  As you can see in the attached image, the highlighting still seems to work right.  I guess I will now have to just rework everything with this newer vob, relight and recheck all the textures.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 5:43 PM · edited Tue, 17 November 2009 at 5:46 PM

file_443240.jpg

The UV map I used for my saucer section was this.  Even though I didn't use it for my examples, they would be needed if I apply baked textures to them which gives better material control.

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 8:32 PM

Shawn, what is the advantage to using baked textures?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 9:48 PM

Oh.  In Blender I believe you can bake any procedural materials that you've created for your objects and save them as BMP or TGA or JPG (even PNG probably) color, bump, highlight, and reflection texture maps.   The texture maps can be then applied to your OBJ model once imported into Vue so that it looks just like it did inside Blender.  For Blender's baking to work though, the model has to first be UV mapped.  The UV mapping is kept with the model's OBJ file when it is exported, yada yada.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 10:23 PM

I looked again at spherical mapping.  There are three kinds.  I've been using spherical mapping around the Z axis (up/down in my modeler).  Make sure Vue knows if you're talking about the X, Y, or Z axis so that it matches the axis used in your modeler.  The XYZ lables could be different in Vue.

I got the same banding as you did when I used the X axis instead.

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 10:35 PM

I am still a bit confused.  Since the model already has maps applied in Blender for each channel--except bump I expect, and those maps are already made, and in a folder, what difference would baking make?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 11:12 PM

Baking allows you to use the exact same materials in Vue that you're using in Blender for your model.  It converts procedural materials into a JPG file.  Vue has its own procedural materials that will not match Blender's.

I use Vue just for rendering (sometimes with clouds).  The imported models and their materials are created from other programs.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 11:15 PM

Oops.  Reread again.

How did you make those maps of yours that are in folders already?

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 11:25 PM

Shawn,
The maps are part of the Blend file, and were originally exported out with the first object file I used.  As far as I can tell none were procedural.

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 11:34 PM

I've just about got all the materials tweaked again, and am trying out a new render.  Oddly, instead of the mapping issues on the saucers, now it seems, the deflector dish doesn't map.  The maps supplied with the model don't fit right, and the procedural material I had created for the earlier version doesn't work either, so I'm stuck with a dish glow with no variation in color or brightness--which is less of an issue than I had before.

Shawn, do you know how I could export out of Blender, and get individually mapped parts instead of the entire ship in one piece?  I think I may have done it once, but the options are all different with the 2.49 version.  As I recall, in UV Mapper, I could do Poser figures, and move parts on the UV map, but I don't remember how I did it, or how to do it on such a complicated mesh as a starship.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 11:47 PM

I don't know how Blender exports OBJ models into separate objects.  But my method for texture baking for rendering inside other 3D programs can be browsed at http://www.shonner.com/ta/commander_wip.htm

redtrek ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 11:48 PM

I had to play with the model, by loading the previous version, resizing the new one and trying to get the postion the same,and then I deleted the older one from the screen, so I wouldn't have to relight the whole thing again.  I've been speding time adjusting the lights, since I couldn't quite match up the two models, and tweaking the textutes, since I forgot to make some of them parametric when I was loading everything.

redtrek ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 12:12 AM

file_443259.jpg

Shawn, just to show you what I am working with, here is a contact sheet of most of the textures included with the model, except for a few, including some I've edited.  Those that look blank are the color maps, so light and pale that they are hard to see.

redtrek ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 12:31 AM

file_443260.jpg

Here's the first render with all the changes--I did get tired of wating for the anti-aliasing to finish, so it's only about 50% aa'd

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 12:58 AM
redtrek ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 2:11 AM

file_443266.jpg

Here's a test of primarily self-lighting, with only a bunch of very low powered  colored point lights around the ship.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.