Fri, Sep 20, 4:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 release on the horizon...

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 10:21 AM

If you view your System properties in Control Panel, what does it say about the operating system? Does it say it's 64-bit?

RE the crashes, are your video drivers up to date?

peterpan ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 10:35 AM

Thank you for replying so quickly, WOW ,
 Win Pro , ( going to up grade puter to win 7 64 bit in time ) and as silo, carrara p7,Rhino ,shade 8, and ZBrush 3.5r are running ok .
I have not updated driver for my Nvidia GS 7900 256 meg (6.14.11.8250, 27/03/2009 ) to the latest as yet ?

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 10:43 AM

If you are unsure about your hardware configuration and installations, may I suggest downloading Belarc Advisor and install it on your computer. 

http://belarc.com/

The software will analyze your system and will report back a list of hardware and software components on your computer.  It will also note your motherboard capacity (32- or 64-bits), RAM allocation, and even software keys for all your applications.  Very handy if you are in the market to upgrade your system.

peterpan ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 11:40 AM

Great program thanks "hborre" so how come it runs the 64 bit ?? Do not understand ?

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 11:50 AM · edited Sat, 20 March 2010 at 11:51 AM

When you say  your operating system is Win Pro, are you saying it's Windows 7 Professional, or another version?

How long have you had the computer, and what operating system came on it?  That info can help us help YOU determine what is going on.

Also, you say that there are two shortcuts on the desktop. Can you tell us what the shortcuts say? 

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 11:56 AM

Um, hborre and Deecey, I'm a bit confused by your questioning, as poster said: "mine is a 32 bit system."

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 12:03 PM

Well, that's what is confusing. I think if he had a 32-bit system he wouldn't be able to install the 64-bit version of PP2010. So the line of questioning in my case is to determine whether or not he does actually have a 64-bit system, OR if the shortcuts on his desktop are for PP2010 and something else (like the render queue maybe?)

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 12:09 PM · edited Sat, 20 March 2010 at 12:10 PM

Ah, I just thought of an easy way to determine this ...

If you look on your C drive, do you see TWO Program Files folders, one named Program Files, and the other named Program Files (x86)?  If you see the x86 one, you have a 64-bit system and a 64 bit operating system, because the Program Files (x86) folder is used for 32-bit applications on a 64-bit system..

peterpan ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:03 PM

file_449879.jpg

Heres a pic and no I do not have a 64bit opperating system , its just WIN XP PRO. Both icons work ?  Core duo E6600 2.4hz , 4gig mem ( 3 in use) 2x 250 gig hd and Nvidia GS 7900 256 meg on WIN XP Pro.

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:08 PM · edited Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:10 PM

Hmmm ... strange.

If you right-click on each of the shortcuts, does the Properties for each shortcut show the path to the EXE file that each one starts?

(I would test this myself but all my computers have 64 bit OS's)

Wait ... I take that back. I do have a macbook that dual boots with Windows 7 and it is running in 32 bit. I don't recall that I had an option to install both 32 and 64 bit, so I'm trying to figure out what is going on here. LOL

peterpan ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:12 PM

file_449881.jpg

Hope you guys can see it now............Be back later gota go look after the wify ...

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:15 PM

OK it looks like they are both pointing to the same EXE file, so you aren't running two different versions of the program. It did only install one EXE, but for some reason installed both shortcuts on your desktop.  That appears to be a minor bug. I'd say you can delete one or both of the shortcuts, you're OK otherwise.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:16 PM

I wonder if peterpan realizes that XP Pro had a 64 bit version... would PP2010 install the 64bit to that?

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:17 PM · edited Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:17 PM

Quote - OK it looks like they are both pointing to the same EXE file

Ah, good catch.

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:20 PM

When running a 64-bit OS, you are asked if you optionally want to install the 32-bit files; that way you can have both versions. The 64-bit version gets installed in the Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2010 folder, and the 32-bit files, if selected,  are installed in the Program Files (x86)/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2010  folder.

If you're running a 32-bit OS (I'm going by memory here, it's been a while), there is no option to install 64-bit files. It ONLY installs 32-bit files, and they are installed to Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2010 (32-bit systems do not have a Program Files (x86) folder).

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:39 PM

When you install PP2010 on a 32 bit system, you do not get the option to choose between 32 or 64 bit instead. It only install the 32 bit version, but gives 2 icons, both pointing to the same 32 bit version exe file

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 1:41 PM

Thanks for confirming. I just reported this in the bug tracker. Not a major thing, just might be a bit confusing. 8-)

peterpan ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2010 at 4:16 AM

Thanks for confirming guys, there was nothing saying any different. 
Is there a whole lotta difference between the 32 /64 bit render, as when rendering ,the pic seems hazy, where 5/7 is pretty clear, although , close up and res set to 300 is very good when rendered. If it is I`ll save quicker and continue building another puter....

You guys must be kinder experts , so has anyone used the graph to adjust movements in an animation as yet ? It is a real pain in the ass , first I checked to see if the resolution was incorrect for Poser Pro 2010 , ( 1024 x 768 minimum resolution) , mine is 1280x1024.
To explain , when doing adjustments using the graph , the top of the graph gos out of site ? No matter how big you make the menu window , it is impossible to reach the top or the bottom of the graph. However , if the graph is closed and reopened , it has adjusted itself and you can now see the top / bottom of the graph and able to carry on using to finish adjusting the animation. Wow , a real no to work flow..........! Perhaps its just my computer/me ( norm ), but never had this prob in any other Poser progam 1/7, before. And to make matters worse , clicking on the adjuster on the graph is a pain too , now having to enlarge the graph so I can adjust and it gets in the way. Do I realy need to shell out for a larger screen/ video card for one program , or is it all adjustible? I am going to update my drivers today for the Nvidia GS 7900 and see if itmake a difference , but doubt it............. Ok , Im no pro , just a long term hobby person, perhaps there is a way to get it right , any advice guys on setting the windows , before I go to SM and make an idjet of meself......?

peterpan ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 2:17 PM

You guys have gone quiet.......................something I said ?

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 3:29 PM

Not something you said, but something you asked ;-) I'm not using Poser for animations, so I can't answer and that may be the case with more people that posted in this thread.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

leather-guy ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 3:43 PM

This is a fairly long thread, and PoserPRO 2010 has been already out for a week or two, so a lot of folk have unsubscribed already.  Perhaps if you started a new thread with a relevant title it would attract the kind of answer you need?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 4:38 PM

Yea - what they said.

I'd help, except I don't have a clue what you're asking about. I animated a cat once - I also spit into a trumpet and made some kind of noise, but both outcomes were about the same. grin

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 3:14 AM

it looks like we can not save the render settings from DImension3D for bounces.

so for example i want 1 bounce of reflection and 2 bounces for IDL. i render it out. looks good. then if render again it renders like IDL was set to 1 bounce. it doent save the seperate bounce settings.

maybe i am doing something wrong ? 

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:46 AM · edited Tue, 23 March 2010 at 6:49 AM

As soon as you visit the "traditional" rendersettings and change and save them, the IDL settings are being recalculated from IDL Quality and the IDL bounces are taken from the RT bounces. You then have to go back to D3D's script and change the IDL settings back to the way you want them.  If you do not visit and save the rendersettings they will be kept the way they are

peterpan ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 1:30 PM

Thanks guys anyway ,
and **bagginsbill ** , better luck with your trumpet in the future........you made me smile ..bless ur

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 10:48 PM

Quote - To explain , when doing adjustments using the graph , the top of the graph go`s out of site ? No matter how big you make the menu window , it is impossible to reach the top or the bottom of the graph. However , if the graph is closed and reopened , it has adjusted itself and you can now see the top / bottom of the graph and able to carry on using to finish adjusting the animation. Wow , a real no to work flow..........!

There is a Scroll Bar on the side of the Graph (left side) that will allow you to see the top... you can expand it after moving to the top and you will not need to Scroll if you expand it large enough.

ratscloset
aka John

peterpan ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2010 at 12:48 PM

ratscloset , answered your reply in other thread , and no it does not. But thanks

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2010 at 3:02 PM

bagginsbill

i remember months ago you posted a shader whee you showed that when spacular is stronger the diffuse under the specular is lower. like in real life. i think you used a subtract node.

do you know the title of the thread?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2010 at 3:07 PM

I do use a subtract node. Diffuse_Value = 1 - Blinn(...)

I don't remember which thread, though. I'll try to find it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2010 at 3:15 PM · edited Thu, 25 March 2010 at 3:15 PM

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 4:37 AM

do we have any control on the Z-depth pass ? 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 6:53 AM

I don't think so.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 7:58 AM

no problem. making a Z depth render doesnt take a lot. we just turn of all the lights and type some numbers in the background material.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 8:28 AM · edited Fri, 26 March 2010 at 8:28 AM

Or you can make a custom render layer that uses the P node to emit the Z position with any math applied that you want.

myrmadon ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2010 at 7:08 PM

I bought Poser 8 and Poser Pro and for $50 I got Poser Pro 2010. The only problem is Poser Pro 2010 dosen't seem to work. One of the main reasons I wanted Pro is to be able to use the Q manager to batch render several Poser scenes. The only problem is the Q manager dosen't seem to work in Windows 7 64 bit. It just crashes. I've done everything including reloading the program, deleting all the firewalls and virus protection, disabling the startup and services in msconfig, and collect scene inventory. Just darn, the program reminds me of the good old days when Poser would crash and give the message "not responding" I'm of the opinion that I would not spend the big bucks on this program until there is a service release. If you can upgrade for $50 or $70 dollars well it might be worth it. If anyone has suggestions on how to fix this, let me know.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2010 at 10:59 PM · edited Sat, 10 April 2010 at 11:07 PM

For 35,000 (or something like that) other people it works perfectly.

While it is perfectly true that it isn't working for you, this kind of post really bugs me.

The program is well worth whatever it is worth. If you are not a professional, and/or it doesn't work for you, then it isn't worth hundreds of dollars. If you are a professional and it works (which it does for 99.9999% of people who own it) then it is worth even $1000 or more.

I'm not a pro, but Poser Pro 2010 saves me at least 10 hours a week versus Poser 7 or any other previous Poser. It saves me hobby time, which I consider valuable. That's worth about $25,000 per year to me. Poser Pro 2010 is cheaper than it should be, IMO. Again this is my hobby time value. If we were talking about my professional time, it would be worth waaaaaay more.

I am not a pro graphic artist, but I work with several. If I were to decide to be a pro graphic artist, I think Poser Pro would be worth at least 50 times what it costs today even to use for only one year. We pay graphic artists about $60,000 to $80,000 per year. They do not use Poser, because they don't know how. If they used it, they could double their incomes. They simply don't know how to use it.

I could easily make $160,000 per year using Poser Pro.

As to how to fix it, I have a suggestion, but not a good one. Send your computer to me or to SM. I bet that they or I could find the problem.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 7:32 AM

"I've done everything including reloading the program, " before you reloaded the program did you delete all the old program?
also you can't have poser 8 running at the same time as pro 2010.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

myrmadon ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 9:10 AM

Sorry to bug you.  You are quite correct Poser Pro 2010 works quite well for most people.  Sometime different computers and different programs have problems.  In my case q manager failed completely and support hasn't helped much.  After many days of attempts to fix the problem,  I' was very frustrated and my post was more of a plea for help.

I think the problem resides with Poser and my anti-virus.  Sometimes anti-virus detects valid code that has a virus signature and it deletes that code.  I uninstalled Poser Pro 2010 and re- installed it.  I also disabled the virus protection program.  Since I disabled the firewalls, antivirus, killed the service and start up in msconfig, uninstalled and reinstalled Poser Pro 2010  the assumption is that the problem resided in Poser, and you have to admit early versions of Poser were kind of wonky.   As an example, Poser Pro required a collectseneinventory python script for q manager to work properly.  I went round and round with support until they came up with that work around.

Last night, I went to a backup that did not have Poser on it or the same virus protection program.  This was very time consuming.  I reinstalled Poser Pro 2010 (a different anti virus program) and Poser appears to function.   I believe the problem resides in the fact that the Poser Pro uninstall does not remove all the registry keys.....Dumb me.  If I had manually removed all registry items the reinstall and removed of the offending virus program that should have corrected the problem.  (I did manually remove the Poser folder) 

The virus program I was using is a popular program and I expect that some other people will be having similar problems.  Most people do not feel comfortable tinkering around with the registry.  As soon as I sure that this is the problem I will post the conflict.  Just be sure that you don't click the "fix" button on any anti-virus program without checking what is going to be "fixed"  Also if the q manager fails, know that: 1. This could be caused by a conflict between your anti-virus program and 2. A complete uninstall including registry keys is probably required.
I'm still not completely sure of what's going on and the time it takes to track down a problem is enormous.  It may have been just a glitch in the original loading process.

Yes, I would buy Poser 2101, however not at the full $499 price.  I think you can get a better deal working the upgrades.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 9:19 AM

Just to be clear, I had no objection to you posting that you had a problem and Poser may have a bug. I bet it does.

That doesn't much change what it is "worth", and the price (even at $499) is nowhere near what it's "worth".

As I said, if the graphic artists I work with bothered themselves to buy and use Poser Pro 2010, they would profit from it considerably, even if they had to pay $20,000 for the software.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 9:25 AM

"The virus program I was using is a popular program and I expect that some other people will be having similar problems."

please tell us what AV this is?

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 10:37 AM

I run PoserPro2010 in Windows7 64bit, with an ATI video card.

Windows Security Essentials or AVG as antivirus programs.

Same configuration in 64 bit on an Notebook.

que manager  is working on both.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

myrmadon ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 10:48 PM

You right...I just don't have 20K.  You'd be surprised at the extreme differential in prices.  I got Poser 8 for $65 and upgraded to Poser Pro 2010 for $50.  I'm retired and Lincoln blinks every time I open my wallet.  By waiting a person can save real bucks, however, if you need the program it may be worth 20K.  I just added a second monitor and slid all the Poser controls to the second monitor.  This second monitor is better than sliced bread. 
Good Comments From You

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 11:09 PM

Quote - "The virus program I was using is a popular program and I expect that some other people will be having similar problems."

please tell us what AV this is?

So, any answer yet?

myrmadon ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 9:51 AM

I'm not sure the AV is the problem and it will take alot more testing.   Things started to go to hell and a hand basket after going from bit defender to Norton.  I have an unusual config (running a raid array) and that may be the problem.  I'm going back to Bit Defender to see if that corrects the problem.  I still cannot get q manager to work with Norton.  Q manager ran for one session then stopped so something may be snaggled up in the computer, poser has a bug or the AV is "protecting" me.  None of my other programs seem to be acting up.  I'll keep testing and posting if there are any suggestions I would appreciate the help.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 10:14 AM

Drop Norton, go with Windows Security Essentials.
See what gives.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 10:15 AM

When you installed Poser, you had a choice about where to locate your main runtime. One of those choices was to put it in the tradiitonal place, inside the Poser folder within Program Files. If you did that, you may have issues of various kinds.

Newer versions of Windows (and some AV programs) are really anal about keeping an eye out for programs that try to write into the folders of other programs, especially in Program Files.

As a result, we have situations like Poser content installers that can't install content, because they are trying to write into the Program Files Poser folder and the security apps think that's a virus trying to install itself. If you stop and think about it, pretending you don't know what program is running, and just watch what it is doing, Poser content installation looks a lot like virus infestation. Python scripts are being installed, files are being overwritten, etc.

Now I don't actually know how the QMgr does its thing, but if you think about how a scene would be distributed, clearly it involves moving content from the main Poser app to the distributed renderers. The distributed renderers do not have a copy of the content files (or may not), and so they will receive stuff from Poser to use during the render. This is a lot like installing content, but more dynamic.

Of course, if you installed your main runtime in the newer approved places, then this type of thing should not be a problem.

magnemoe ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 11:11 AM

Very happy with poser pro, only major issue is crashes then running out of memory but I should upgrade to 64 bit win 7 anyway.

I have one strange problem with poser pro 2010, the green centre cross on a object does not display then I check display origin, I still get the origin parameters and can change them but it’s pretty hard without any visual aid. Is this a known issue?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 11:46 AM

Quote - I have one strange problem with poser pro 2010, the green centre cross on a object does not display then I check display origin, I still get the origin parameters and can change them but it’s pretty hard without any visual aid. Is this a known issue? 

Apparently it is not known. I can't find anything about it in SM's bug tracking system. And I confirm with my copy that it doesn't show the crosshairs.

You should report it.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 12:23 PM

ah Norton. there's your problem right there.
anything is better than Norton. personally I'd recommend Avast!, Kaspersky or AVG.

peterpan ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 12:36 PM

Hi guys for me ,I have many bugs in 2010, from just gentley clicking on any figure ,using any tool , twist/rotate and  transform ,makes the model parts jerk to the right.( Alot worse the P5/P7) . And adding any prop to the scene and clicking on them sends them to the right to.  I have to move parts using property dials only.
To ,when loading a mat for a figure , and the figure in the scene turning black.
2010 must still be in beta and look forward to the first update.
I hope to rig  my own models, but dear not just yet ,SM seem to be quite quick at fixing ,looking at Poser 8...........we`ll see.........
I to thought it to be an AV prog problem , I run AVG internet security 2009, and have turned it off, removed it and still the bugs remain, I had only rendered one model ,V4, with "Hear no evil " gear. And removed all unused morphs to shrink the file mem.
 I ran out of memory ? .........With 3 gig of mem I was really surprised...........

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.