Wed, Oct 2, 10:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: If anyone could help me beofre I give up on my project...

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:02 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 4:18 PM

I have been working on a scene of an apartment within Poser and am having trouble rendering my final pictures.  I think that the problem may be that my scene just has too much stuff in it and the renderer just cannot handle the rendering process.
I have tried removing anything that will not appear in the current camera view, but it made no
difference.

The problem that I am getting is that after a long time of rendering, the final result turns out to be just a quarter of the whole picture (half in some cases).

I have tried everything I could think of and am basically giving up on my project altogether.  HOWEVER, because I have spent almost 3 months working on this thing, I want to be sure that there really IS nothing else I can do before I officially throw in the towel.

Im not very good with configuring the Poser settings, so I was thinking that maybe... just maybe... I have something tweaked funny that is causing problems.  Im posting my configurations here, so maybe someone can tell me if I messed something up.

Here I go:

COMPUTER:
-Motherboard: ASUS P5LP-LE (Leonite)
-Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTS250, 1GB (Driver 190.62; I gave up updating because the updates made many of my computer games stop working)
-Processor: Pentium D 960 3.6GHz
-RAM: 4GB
-OS: Windows 7 32bit Home Premium; up to date with all Windows updates.

POSER:
-Version: Poser Pro 2010 8.03.11916
-Under General Preferences, 2 Threads are selected for rendering, as well as the "Seperate Processes" checkbox
-Dimensions are set to 1280x720 @ 300 Pixels/Inch
-Cast Shadows is checked
-Raytracing is checked (I NEED raytracing for my scenes).  4 Bounces, 90 Irradiance Caching.
-Indirect Light is UNchecked
-6 Pixel Samples

• 0.50 Min Shading Rate
    -Max Bucket size is set to 5000 (also tried 15000... I REALLY dont know what to put this as, but 15000 and 5000 work fine for very low quality test renders)

Any other details can be provided.

Im basically trying to get the best quality possible and I am not ready to upgrade my PC yet (it would cost too much).
Any help would b appreciated and I can rephrase anything I just typed and/or provide any additional details.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:09 PM

I forgot to mention this:
In poser, the "Smooth Polygons" and "Remove Backfacing Polys" are both UNchecked.  Everything else is also UNchecked as well.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:12 PM · edited Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:15 PM

OMG...your bucket size is ENORMOUS!! That may be your problem right there....lol. Mine's normally set to 32...lmao.

Also, not a good idea to uncheck "Smooth Polygons" unless you have NO curved surfaces in your scene. If you're having problems with something getting smoothed that shouldn't be, you're better off turning it off for each object where you don't need smoothing.

Laurie

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:14 PM

With bucket size that high, I don't think you will get any quality render.  Try 64 (or some other power of 2, they should be in those increments)

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:20 PM · edited Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:22 PM

I unchecked the Smooth Polygons option because things were turning out "bloated" for some reason.  I WAS unchecking the option for each individual item in their properties tab, but then I got sick of doing it and just unchecked the option in the render settings.

So I should try a bucket size with x^2? (Where x is some number.)
Does it depend on my RAM and/or CPU at all?
Also, what could be the highest that I should try in order to maximize the use of my system?

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:23 PM · edited Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:25 PM

The bucket size is the size in pixels of the rendering "swaths" as it were that will go across the render. 32 will stress the computer less than 124. I have 3 gigs of ram and I use 32. Opinions may differ ;o).

32 is a smaller swath, but it goes faster than 124 which is a larger swath, but takes longer. You have to find a happy medium.

Laurie

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:39 PM

If you have a large number of paths in a bucket, there is more to compute in that pack.
The old poserpro had choice for adaptive bucket size, but I don't see that choice now, not sure if actually worked anyway.

Optimium bucket size depends on RAM, CPU and Configuration of scene itself.
I have 6 Gb memory and use 64 as starting point.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:43 PM

I was happily reading your post and nodding and saying "yep" until I reached your bucket size and my eyes bugged out!

For a single figure I render with a bucket size of 256.  For scenes, depending on what is in it I tend to go lower, 128, 64 and sometimes 32.

The key is denominations of 8, with 8 being the smallest.  

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:45 PM

Quote - The bucket size is the size in pixels of the rendering "swaths" as it were that will go across the render. 32 will stress the computer less than 124. I have 3 gigs of ram and I use 32. Opinions may differ ;o).

32 is a smaller swath, but it goes faster than 124 which is a larger swath, but takes longer. You have to find a happy medium.

Laurie

I guess I should have explained that 124 doesn't take longer overall...it takes longer per chunk of the render because it's calculating more rays and pixels in each chunk.

Laurie

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 7:29 PM · edited Tue, 14 September 2010 at 7:42 PM

Your worst case scenario, rendering in passes and composing everything in a 2D program.  Let's analyze your scene.  Are your objects displacement/bump map intensive and are they close or distant in relation to your scene?  If close, then these maps have some validity to be present.  If distant, do away with those maps entirely, or use normal mapping, they less resource intensive.

Are there many characters with transmap hair?  Transmaps are notorious for slowing down renders, especially where IDL is concerned.  If you are not doing a closeup, or portrait, do not make the transmap hair visible in raytracing. 

Raytrace bounces, do you need that value at 4?  Are there reflective surfaces?  If not, you can reduce raytrace bounces to 2. 

Number of pixels, are they necessary at 6?  Could you trim that back to 4? 

What is your reason for using 300 dpi?  Do you intend to print your images?

BTW, I do agree with the others concerning that huge bucket size.  Calculate 5000 x 5000, and that is the number of pixels you are analyzing per bucket.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 8:43 PM

Quote -
-Dimensions are set to 1280x720 @ 300 Pixels/Inch

-Max Bucket size is set to 5000 (also tried 15000... I REALLY dont know what to put this as, but 15000 and 5000 work fine for very low quality test renders)

If you're not rendering for print you don't need a dps of 300 - 72 will do nicely.

I'm in total agreement with everyone else on your bucket size ... my jaw hit the floor when I saw it.

I generally use 64 but will drop it down to 32 if there's a lot going on in the scene.  Nothing gets lost and the render goes quicker.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 9:00 PM

Im running some renders right now, so Ill let you all know if anything works.

So far, i tried a bucket size of 64 with a 300dps and it still didnt work.
Right now, Im trying a 32 bucket size with 300dps and then  a 32 bucket with 72dps.

Hopefully SOMETHING will work :/

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 9:44 PM

The dpi setting has no effect on anything.  This has been covered extensively.

jestmart ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:00 PM

Okay, I admit I use DAZ Studio not Poser so this question may seem stupid.  If the OP is rendering a 1280x720 pixel then what difference does the DPI make, its just a number stuck in the meta data of the final image.  Now to the OP's problem, as hborre has already mentioned texture sizes and surface setting tend to have a bigger impact on rendering than the number of objects (unless you have a few dozen high poly figures and props).  There is seldom any reason to use texture maps that have a larger resolution than the image you are trying to render.  Displacement maps and in some cases transparencies are the exception to this.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:01 PM

Well, Im completely stumped!
I have tried different combinations of bucket sizes (32 and 64), dps (300 and 72) and even changed the pixel samples to 4.
Every single picture failed to completely render and is giving me half or a quarter of a picture.

BTW, I dont want to reduce raytracing since I have a glass table that reflects and is transparent.

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:04 PM · edited Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:05 PM

file_459182.jpg

The dpi setting will be put into the image information and used by some applications like Photoshop to calculate a print size.  Dont worry about it in Poser, just work by Pixels.

I only have poser 7 but hopefully its close enough.

1st thing to check is on the render tab of the preview window, there is option for full, quarter, half sized render. Check it says full - see the pic attached

I assume you have the scene saved.

start Poser and load the scene
change to 1 thread only and NOT a seperate process,
start the render and watch your memory statistics from task manager .

If the scene finishes correctly then try it as 1 thread but seperate process
if thats ok then start increasing threads.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:19 PM

^^
Do you know if the threads and separate process thing would affect the Queue rendering?
(You said you had Poser 7, so that's why I ask)
I tend to do Queue rendering, but now that you mentioned all that, I am going to try rendering in Poser itself.  Ill still do what you said.

(the tab is always set to FULL BTW.  I dont touch that)

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:30 PM

Alright, what next markschum?

With 1 htread and NO seperate process, the render didnt give me anything and while trying to get back to the preview tab, I got an alert saying that I was out of memory and then Poser crashed and closed.
(Sorry this is bold BTW, it wont go normal for some reason)

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:34 PM

One thing I did forget to mention, how many light set do you have in the scene?  The more lights used, the more memory intensive your render will become.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:37 PM

I am only using 3 lights.  All are infinites and only 1 casts shadows.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 10:56 PM

Just an FYI to everyone:
I can render figures (like Victoria 4) perfectly fine with my current settings (even with the 15000 bucket size).
This is why I think maybe it is due to how many seperate props and stuff I have in my scene.
(BTW, I do have a lot of bumped textures, but very few with transparencies.)

BeyondVR ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 2:19 AM

I think 3GB of RAM is simply too little for a complicated scene.  In my experience, a render can fail without Poser telling you it is out of memory.  The crash trying to go back to Preveiw sounds like you were already out of memory and Poser couldn't get the message through.  Texture requirements can easily eat up that much RAM.

I dont know what your upgrade options are, but RAM's pretty cheap.  I'd save the file and double the RAM if you can.  It may be your best option for saving all that work you've put in.

John

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 2:47 AM

No matter how much RAM you stick in, Windows 32 bit will not see more than 3 GB.  To get beyond thant you have to go to 64 bit on OS and application.

Critical evaluation of textures is in order.  You might need to reduce size of some textures.  It is wasteful to have a 2048 x 2048 eye texture on character that is in distance farther than 10 feet from camera.

You have to reduce texture dimensions to save memory, not just apply higher compression to file.  Some people thinks by reducing file size, you reduce memory.  Not so because application has to uncompress file to use it.

Cutting in half dimension of map means you only use one-fourth the memory, and this can add uo rapidly.

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:35 AM

When I've done complicated scenes, I've sometimes had to look at certain props to see what texture size they have.  Like what Medzinatar is saying..

Say you have a little table in the background.. Suffice to say you don't need to have a high resolution texture for it unless you have an animation where you move closer to it, or another alternate view that is closer, etc..

Some items, from small clothing, jewelery, and props can use really big textures. Which is nice, for closeup renders.. :)

But what I did was that I made a smaller texture of relevant objects. I checked the objects in the material room, then went into the textures folder and made a scaled down version..  Maybe from 2048 to 512 or even 256 if it was a far away object..  It saved a lot of memory problem. 

Another thing you can do to conserve memory is to check what texture resolution you are viewing with in the preview.. When I map and work with texture, I often max it out, to 2048 or 4096, but when I'm working with a big scene, that's usually not necessary any more so I just pull it down to 512 or so, which conserves a LOT of memory, and minimizes swapping between rendering and preview, too. :)

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 6:43 AM

Two observations.

It is not clear to me from your OP whether you are seeing blank patches on your screen, or if you only see a cropped version of your final image.

If it is the first, try turning your threads back to "1" for a test render. I had an AMD dual core processor once that had a bad core. It rendered fine with one core, but failed about half way through a render using two.

If the second, I'd check to see if the image size you are specifying is larger than you have your screen resolution set.

Finally, I strongly suspect the whole problem is your video driver. You state you stopped updating it. This is the kiss of death for Poser. Get the latest driver, install it, and try another render.

My own experiences with bucket size mirror the others. Acceptable buckets are 8, 16,32,64,128, and 256. 64 is my standard, but I've got a 64 bit OS and 8 Gigs of Ram.

Good luck. 

ypvs ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:14 AM

Is a wall/other object blocking the camera? It may be an invisible back-face  in preview but render opaque. Make the Main Camera visible in properties and use the AUX camera to check the line of sight

Poser 11 , 180Gb in 8 Runtimes, PaintShop Pro 9
Windows 7 64 bit, Avast AV, Comodo Firewall
Intel Q9550 Quad Core cpu,  16Gb RAM, 250Gb + 250Gb +160Gb HD, GeForce GTX 1060

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 12:01 PM

Maybe a screencap of the scene's Preview window could shed some more information about how it is composed. 

NT110 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 2:52 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 2:56 PM

file_459237.jpg

Here is a screeny of the scene that I have been testing with. I had turned each of the "rooms" into a single obj for easy importing from my Library.  I still get the same results whether they are in the single obj form or multiple individual props forms.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:01 PM

I believe your scene is just too big in memory required for Poser . Textures can be a big part of the memory required so its worth looking to see if you are loading many 3000 x 3000 pixel textures. 

The usual way I tackle these is to remove all the foreground props , and render the image , then reload the scene , and delete the background stuff, render  and composite the two images in Photoshop.

You may squeeze it in by render in seperate process because that will use a bit more memory.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:12 PM

Just out of curiosity...what is the total poly/vertex count on all the objects in your scene?

Laurie

SoulTaker ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:31 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:33 PM

can I ask, why do you need to render it in one go?
i can see 5 or 6 renders in that image that could be put together in psp or ps.
it would render alot faster, you could change things with out having lost hours in rendering and not liking the finished image.
my first ever image in my gallery was 12 or so renders put together in psp, each render taking around 20 mins.

NT110 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:57 PM
  1. I just updated my video card driver and it didnt do anything to help me.

Quote - Just out of curiosity...what is the total poly/vertex count on all the objects in your scene?

Laurie

I dont know how to answer this.  Sorry.

1. Quote - The usual way I tackle these is to remove all the foreground props , and render the image , then reload the scene , and delete the background stuff, render  and composite the two images in Photoshop.

I may just have to resort to this.  I know that if I render the same scenes but with fewer objects, then they work.

1. If all else fails, then I guess Ill just give up.

PilotHigh ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:35 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but what about render dimensions. If you're only getting a quarter size render that might be the problem.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 8:06 PM

file_459240.jpg

> Quote - 2) Just out of curiosity...what is the total poly/vertex count on all the objects in your scene? > > Laurie

I dont know how to answer this.  Sorry.

Use the PrintInfo Menu Choice to find such things

Banaman ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 2010 at 11:05 PM

Try at 720x480

aRtBee ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 12:02 PM

hi,

just adding my dime to the debate. Poser is sensitive indeed to the videodriver, but having an older one usually leads to random-like weird behaviour in the design phase, and in the User Interface arena. 
Since you're in a 32-bit OS environment, it might be worthwhile starting TaskManager (right click your taskbar), look into Processes and check whether the Poser memory usage comes close to 2Gb. If so, you've got to activate the 3Gb-switch in Windows. If not, there is no memory issue. 

Note that each CPU does one thread at a time, each thread addresses one bucket. Having a bucket-size larger than your image just turns the renderer into a one-thread system. Having small buckets generates some overhead due to bucket-overlap-calculations (portions of the scene effecting each other). Life is one big trade off.

The thing that really wonders me if that you only get a portion of the result. I would say: small buckets, multi-thread and render in Poser, so you can see what it's doing. That might you give some clue.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2010 at 7:54 PM

ah!  i have that room.  that's from good ol' ratracer, he kicked butt.

here's a pretty cool workaround that i had to figure out that has so far let me print anything i want.

turn off shadows on this pass.  the frame may still not render the whole pass.  no problem.  save that render.

then render with area render the next section, but go ahead and use the same dimensions.

you can render slices off of a gigantic scene this way and chop the good layers off.  then you don't have to worry about figs/objects in the foreground or background laying over each other when compositing single elements only.

then render the shadow layer and composite that.  you can render that smaller too if you need to and just increase the size when you composite.  i have recently been told that you should use "multiply" in photoshop on the shadow layer for accurate shadows, and double the layers if you want darker shadows. 

that bucket size was crazy man.

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

Paul_Position ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 9:59 AM

file_459830.jpg

PilotHigh asks about render dimensions.

What he means is that, if you set render dimensions to a bigger pixel size than what your preview/render window is set to, then only parts of the render will appear  --  the rest is drawn, but "off screen".

So your image, once rendered, would give you something like what's at the top here. If that's what happens, then you're rendering fine : you can use the 'hand' icon to move the image around the window, or save it to file as it is complete.

If your render screen comes out as the image below, with blacked-out (or whited out?) parts, then there's indeed a problem.

NT110 ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 3:05 AM

I just updated my PC (actually, I built a brand new one) and the scene still won't render in Poser.  Now, this tells me that for whatever reason, the render engine just cannot handle the scene.  Probably due to too many vertices or whatever.

Oh well.

My new PC specs are:

COMPUTER:
-Motherboard: MSI Big Bang XPower
-Video Card: NVidia GTX-460, 1GB and latest driver (AND HEY! My games work!!)
-Processor: i7-950 3.06GHz
-RAM: 6GB DDR3 (Ill upgrade to more once my wallet recovers)

The only thing I changed in Poser was the thread count and the bucket size.  I now use 8 threads and a bucket size of 32.

The scene still wont render, and it's ok now because I have moved on anyways (gave up; got tired of stressing myself out over it).

But man! When I render other stuff now, I can render in HQ and it takes only minutes!!!!! :D

Yippee!

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 10:57 AM

NT110:

I once had a scene that stopped rendering (in Poser 8). It didn't make sense. Nothing I tried worked. Poser would render part of the scene and then abort. In despiration, I started deleting one object from the scene at a time. It turned out that a hair prop on one of the figures was corrupted. When I deleted it, the scene would render. It was a scene I had started in an earlier version of Poser,  and I had saved it many times. I guess the hair prop became corrupted during a save?

This may, of course, not be your probem, but it may be worth a try.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 1:14 AM · edited Wed, 03 November 2010 at 1:16 AM

Quote - I just updated my PC (actually, I built a brand new one) and the scene still won't render in Poser.  Now, this tells me that for whatever reason, the render engine just cannot handle the scene.  Probably due to too many vertices or whatever.

Oh well.

My new PC specs are:

COMPUTER:
-Motherboard: MSI Big Bang XPower
-Video Card: NVidia GTX-460, 1GB and latest driver (AND HEY! My games work!!)
-Processor: i7-950 3.06GHz
-RAM: 6GB DDR3 (Ill upgrade to more once my wallet recovers)

The only thing I changed in Poser was the thread count and the bucket size.  I now use 8 threads and a bucket size of 32.

The scene still wont render, and it's ok now because I have moved on anyways (gave up; got tired of stressing myself out over it).

But man! When I render other stuff now, I can render in HQ and it takes only minutes!!!!! :D

Yippee!

Your still using only about 2-3 gigs, with your 32 bit OS. In the mean time, before you render that scene make your preview wire mesh, save scene. Close poser, open poser, load scene leave mesh preview and render. You'll use less ram that way. Might want to kill anything else you can running in the background. 

NT110 ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 1:20 AM · edited Wed, 03 November 2010 at 1:21 AM

^

Actually, it is SOOOOOO funny that you mentioned that because I realized earlier today that Windows 7 was only recognizing and using 4 of my 6GB of RAM...

So I just finished installing Windows 7 64-bit and am now trying to set up my computer's OS again as I type this (fresh install and all).

W7 is currently recognizing 5.99GB/6GB (makes me happy since my new mobo can fit up to 24GB of RAM) and is running much faster, so maybe now things will work in Poser? Once I get it reinstalled that is.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 1:35 AM

Ok, good you should be able to render that no problem now. Next we should work on how to make your lighting better, now you have the ram lol.

Zev0 ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 10:15 AM

64 bit is the way to go....

My Renderosity Store

NT110 ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2010 at 1:10 AM

file_461420.jpg

:)

Definitely was a mix of hardware (computer) and software (OS) issue.

I finally got Windows 7 x64 installed (had to do it 3 times... basically it wouldnt install right until I reformatted my HDD) and now I can render the scene without any problems.  I almost use all of my 6GB of RAM though... So maybe I should try to cut down on some of the details a bit.

Thanks for all your help everyone! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.