Sun, Oct 6, 11:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: do you think it is too late to have a thread about what we would like in poser 9

Schecterman ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 5:53 AM · edited Wed, 03 November 2010 at 5:54 AM

Quote - > Quote - I would like to be able to save a material file to the material library without having to open the material room. After all, the add button is in the library, not the material room, so why not.

Because outside the material room there is nothing to identify which material you're talking about. There is "current figure", "current actor", "current camera", but no "current material". That only exists when in the material room. That's the whole reason.

Yeah now that I think about it that makes perfect sense. Oh well, they can't all be winners. :D

I would still like a Select tool though. I've been requesting that for about 10 years now, so I don't have any hopes for it, but still it can't hurt.

All the cool apps are doing it these days. ;-)

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 6:46 AM

I would like to be able to resize the material library box by dragging the bottom right corner.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 6:47 AM

because when I put it on my second monitor I can't see the bottom of it (my second monitor is smaller)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 8:03 AM

Quote - > Quote - To get the library to work correctly with the fly away arrom menu it takes about half the screen for me.

Good news - I just got off a 2+ hour call with SM. We're going to fix those menus, at least for Poser 9. I don't know about any more SRs for 8 or Pro.

Won't be easy. Hope you like it when it's done.

[Edit] Actually I don't know that the sceme I have in mind will work. But I'm committed to trying to fix it.

:)

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 8:34 PM

I thought of another one.  There could be a little checkbox on a figure visibility properties that says visible_all that would make the figure and all clothes and parented props invisible.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 2:08 PM

Quote -  

Good news - I just got off a 2+ hour call with SM. We're going to fix those menus, at least for Poser 9. I don't know about any more SRs for 8 or Pro.

Hold on, there - Poser 9 already? And is it a new version of Pro 2010 (to which I've just got used)?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 2:10 PM

What do you mean already? It takes a year or so for each version and it's been more than a year since Poser 8 came out.

Anyway - I don't know the release date - I just know I'm working on Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2011.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 2:36 PM

Quote - What do you mean already? It takes a year or so for each version

Time flies ... and I forget how fast; so I shall plead both age (71) and forgetfulness (often).

But - and here's a thought - will they work on PPC Macs, or only on the Intel Macs?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 2:37 PM

I don't know. Whatever it does now, I suppose.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 2:46 PM

And this may be a silly question - but why not just have the one version (Pro 2011) rather than two versions of Poser?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 3:06 PM

Because they increased their total sales by having a high priced and a low priced version.

High priced alone would lose some customers.

Low priced alone would leave money on the table for those who are willing to may more to get more.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 3:36 PM

I shall have to start saving up again ...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 3:45 PM · edited Wed, 17 November 2010 at 3:46 PM

grin

Note: I typo'd earlier - I meant to say "pay more to get more."

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 6:27 PM

What the hell, I'm in a wishing mood..... (1) Light cones similar to Vue's so you can get a better approximation of interactions without having to preview. (2) Light creating geometry. Not shader trickery, but actual light sourcing, even if it is limited to primitives. This would increase the reality level of the renders significantly, with less overhead in the material department...as well as more flexibility. (3) Gizmo's would be good, so long as there was a selection of basic styles. (4) Either an integrated physics package, or code stubs for use with available physics packages. We need better wind effects, and gravity would be nice to have. (5) Re-release the past Poser figures with the new rigging options; that way people could see the benefits. (6) Start working in the beginnings of soft body dynamics. The growth area in Poser is animation; but without some fundamental changes, that growth won't happen. And if possible, keep to the design concepts behind the dynamic cloth. DS users still have to use the very few things that optitex has released, whereas we can use obj's and get some results. (7) Maybe examine the possibility of obtaining the rights to something like the Metaflow plugin. One of the perennial wants in most packages is rain and water effects. An updated plugin that could take advantage of 64 bit and multithreading -might- just make a feasible feature. It wouldn't be Realflow, but a useable meta-fluid feature could definitely be a plus. (8) Sticky IK. Being able to 'tack' the forearm in place in the midst of a leap, using the IK to swing the body around the new chain end, then unsticking it when you choose and restoring the original chain would be a godsend to animators. (9) More comprehensive graph(s) for animators. The single graph panel is showing its age. A triple graph would be more helpful (or even better, a graph script that lets you define what you want displayed). An extra goodie would be tangent gizmos on the graph itself...or possibly when you select a body part in the graph, the tangent handles appear in the character window, giving you another point of control besides the dials.

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quote - > Quote - I would like to be able to save a material file to the material library without having to open the material room. After all, the add button is in the library, not the material room, so why not.

Because outside the material room there is nothing to identify which material you're talking about. There is "current figure", "current actor", "current camera", but no "current material". That only exists when in the material room. That's the whole reason.

In this vain in P9 have an extra setting part of the toothpick-prefs---turn on and off extensions by library. IE: I am in the material lib and if it is an mc6 I don't need to go to the materail room to apply. But if it is an mt5 I do. So instead of seeing an icon with the word "BB's water" under it I might see "BB's water.mt5" if I turn that function on for the material lib. It would make life a lot easier knowning how it should-where it can be applied.

No sure I would want to - need to see the extension in the other libs.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

thinkcooper ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 6:53 PM

Just for reference, no one from Smith Micro is reading this thread. :-)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 7:22 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I would like to be able to save a material file to the material library without having to open the material room. After all, the add button is in the library, not the material room, so why not.

In this vain in P9 have an extra setting part of the toothpick-prefs---turn on and off extensions by library. IE: I am in the material lib and if it is an mc6 I don't need to go to the materail room to apply. But if it is an mt5 I do. So instead of seeing an icon with the word "BB's water" under it I might see "BB's water.mt5" if I turn that function on for the material lib. It would make life a lot easier knowning how it should-where it can be applied.

No sure I would want to - need to see the extension in the other libs.

If you turn on the toothpick option to show the details panel, when you select something it shows you the full path and type.

Also, you can always drag a mt5 or mc6 into the preview window.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 9:43 PM

see, I told youse guys they was reading this!

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2010 at 7:02 AM

god please for a SSS skin cheat

Schecterman ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 9:20 PM

How about if the document didn't save an aborted/canceled render?

If I'm trying to make changes and I hit render then suddenly realize I didn't change something I wanted to and hit cancel, that's it, I'm SOL when it comes to comparing my next render to the one before the canceled one because the partial render stays in the render view.

Yeah, Poser pro has the render window thing where you can view previous stored renders, but it's not the same thing.

What would be better still is a system like mental ray has where you can click on an icon to save unlimited and only specified certain renders in your render window in the temporary cache and scroll through them and delete ones from the cache that you don't want.

When I'm rendering something in mental ray, that simple functionality makes an enormous difference when trying to tweak various scene elements. I mean to say it's a simple but HUGELY helpful thing to be able to do that, and I doubt it would be very difficult to implement in Poser.

Poser's current way was good for a start, but having only two stored renders at any one time in the document window is too limiting. Yes, again I know about the render window and I also know about those buttons on the lower left to access them from the disk cache.

Just covering my butt because I know someone otherwise is going to say " But you can already do that!"

Yeah, sure you can, but I don't like doing it that way. ;-)

It's not intuitive and it slows down the workflow.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 9:29 PM

I would like an option to click the properties for everything to conform to scale and comform to morphs.

Love esther

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 12:49 PM

My pet peeve is when there is a scroll bar, say to chose a body part to collide with in the Cloth Room,  and I click above or below the cursor; instead of scrolling up or down one page, as one would expect, it goes directly to that point.  BB got it right in the new Library, so it would be nice to have it work as expected in the rest of the program.

Also, I'd lke to see a "Poser Semi-Pro", with the features of PP such as GC, but without the export plugins. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Elfwine ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 10:15 PM

I'd settle for modern memory management so you can use the gobs of memory you can stuff into a computer these days.

That, and a bug-free release.  : D

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

232bird ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 4:13 AM

I have some.  A customizable button bar, similar to what is in most browsers, for example.  That would be a huge time saver not having to scroll through the menu bar constantly to get to common tasks.

Also, a better gismo for the direct manipulation tool.  Something with axis selection, like most modelling programs have.

And finally, better graphics performance, possibly even support for DX11 with the GPU offloading.  I have a fast, custom built and way overclocked system and can run the newest games with graphics cranked, not to mention no problems with other 3d applications, but doing something as simple as moving an arm in Poser gets jerky.

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 5:28 AM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=151972&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240

Weightmapping.

(Assuming Poser users still want to be able to play with Vicky and Michael in the future)

DAZ just showed pics of a weightmapped "Vicky 4.5" guinea pig and Dan Farr confirmed that generation 5 will use weightmaping.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 12:29 PM · edited Fri, 26 November 2010 at 12:30 PM

If V5 has weightmapping, poser 9 will have weightmapping, or DAZ is just plain stupid to release a model that can't be used in poser, or Smith-micro to release a new version of poser that can't use a new Victoria.

DAZ and SM (or any other company that owns Poser) have a symbiotic relationship, if they like it or not. At the moment simultaneous development creates mutual profit. If V5 will have weightmapping and poser9 doesn't, both firms will have much less profit than they were counting on. And besides that, it will also have a negative effect on the sales of all the vendors here.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 12:40 PM

"DAZ is just plain stupid to release a model that can't be used in poser, or Smith-micro to release a new version of poser that can't use a new Victoria."

welllllll the dynamic cloth systems that are not compatible....cough

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 1:17 PM

Quote - "DAZ is just plain stupid to release a model that can't be used in poser, or Smith-micro to release a new version of poser that can't use a new Victoria."

And neither system is doing all that well. Although, personally, there are benefits and drawbacks to both systems.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 6:21 PM

Sorry, I meant a human model, not clothes.

What I understand by reading the thread on the DAZ-forum about the new V5, is that when you want to make clothes for her, (probably) the old system with morphs, magnets, JCM and what's more won't work anymore. Since V4 was released, we have seen a huge amount of new clothing for her on the marketplaces, making V3 almost forgotten. I won't see that happen if V5 isn't compatible with any (future) poserversion. And if SmithMicro finally succeeds in making a better doll than V4, they will be the winner.

regards,

Bopper.

coldrake ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 7:00 PM

Dan Farr wrote in the thread over at DAZ,

"""""""''We intend to support this platform in our applications and are working with developers of other applications to get support in their applications as well."

I think it's safe to assume that one of the "developers of other applications" that DAZ is working with is Smith Micro.

Using a single skin mesh and weight maps is a huge step forward. We can finally get rid of the antiquated Poser rigging system.

Coldrake

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 9:08 PM

Quote - Using a single skin mesh and weight maps is a huge step forward. We can finally get rid of the antiquated Poser rigging system.

Is that what you're saying Daz is going to support?  😕

Oh please, let us get weight mapping!  Oh please, oh please, oh please....

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

coldrake ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 9:29 PM

Quote - Using a single skin mesh and weight maps is a huge step forward. We can finally get rid of the antiquated Poser rigging system.

Quote - Is that what you're saying Daz is going to support?  😕

Yup. :biggrin:

Coldrake

Diogenes ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 2:47 AM

Weight mapping!!!  :) AND single skinning :)  If it's anything like Max it's a huuge step forward, the biggest since all this started IMO. With weight mapping you can forgett about all the child parent problems, any bone can move any part of the mesh. Have been asking SM for this now for a few years, hope P-9 will have it.......

Wonder if they are going to update the setup tools to work with it? Or if you have to buy a new version.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 9:09 AM

Quote - Dan Farr wrote in the thread over at DAZ,

"""""""''We intend to support this platform in our applications and are working with developers of other applications to get support in their applications as well."

I think it's safe to assume that one of the "developers of other applications" that DAZ is working with is Smith Micro.

Coldrake

Yeah, well, you know what they say about when you "assume" things...

Poser/Smith Micro is not the one in the drivers seat here. If DAZ is switching to a weightmapping system, then Poser will be put in a position of "adapt or die". They've let DAZ have and control the content in Poser, and let them get a solid foothold in the software arena as well. DAZ has Poser by the digital cajones here... in my opinion.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 11:27 AM

Poser/Smith Micro is not the one in the drivers seat here. If DAZ is switching to a weightmapping system, then Poser will be put in a position of "adapt or die". They've let DAZ have and control the content in Poser, and let them get a solid foothold in the software arena as well. DAZ has Poser by the digital cajones here... in my opinion.

I really doubt that, if poser/SM wouldn't adapt, DAZ would stay stuck with a huge amount of unsellable Vickies (figurely speaking). Smith Micro is the big party in this case, what I heard is that Miki 3 will not be compatible with DAZ|studio3 or any poser version older than P8 or poserpro2010. In case SM makes a real Vicky-killer, DAZ will have to adapt to survive.

regards,

Bopper

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 1:06 PM

Remember that DAZ "innovations" can easily work like Optitex dynamic clothing: after lots of expectations, a plugin which has its problems and a single external vendor who creates content with proprietary tools. The people who blindly went the Optitex way have now been severely burned.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 2:11 PM

Quote - Poser/Smith Micro is not the one in the drivers seat here. If DAZ is switching to a weightmapping system, then Poser will be put in a position of "adapt or die". They've let DAZ have and control the content in Poser, and let them get a solid foothold in the software arena as well. DAZ has Poser by the digital cajones here... in my opinion.

I really doubt that, if poser/SM wouldn't adapt, DAZ would stay stuck with a huge amount of unsellable Vickies (figurely speaking). Smith Micro is the big party in this case, what I heard is that Miki 3 will not be compatible with DAZ|studio3 or any poser version older than P8 or poserpro2010. In case SM makes a real Vicky-killer, DAZ will have to adapt to survive.

regards,

Bopper

Sounds like we're going to have a lot of NMIATWAS scenes going on. I don't think a lot of content providers are going to buy a new version of Poser just to creat content for a poorly supported character.

Or do you know something I don't?

Diogenes ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 3:22 PM

I predict that SM will find a way to implement weight mapping in Poser. :biggrin: Weight mapping/single skinning is really just an added feature. But one which makes all the difference when trying to make a figure bend and move realistically. It has been around now for many years.

I am glad someone is pushing the envelope here, for better rigging tools. Poser needs to move forward with the available tech.  Content can only be made to do what the app will support. If SM wants a Vicky killer, they need to make an app that can support it. Though I doubt they really much care who has the best figure, their focus seems to be on selling the software.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 4:16 PM

Quote - I predict that SM will find a way to implement weight mapping in Poser. :biggrin: Weight mapping/single skinning is really just an added feature. But one which makes all the difference when trying to make a figure bend and move realistically. It has been around now for many years.

I am glad someone is pushing the envelope here, for better rigging tools. Poser needs to move forward with the available tech.  Content can only be made to do what the app will support. If SM wants a Vicky killer, they need to make an app that can support it. Though I doubt they really much care who has the best figure, their focus seems to be on selling the software.

My problem with that kind of thinking is that it appears to be myopic.  Daz has always dominated the content field. Before Studio came along it was a perfect Symbiotic relationship with Poser. The fact is that Studio came along BECAUSE Poser looked like it was going to disappear, DAZ began to hedge it's bets by creating Studio.

I will give eFrontier credit because they did seem to recognize the monster they helped create before they left. They started a store of their own, Content Paradise. But where Efrontier saw CP as a place to sell their own content, Smith Micro seems to be more focused on selling software.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 4:20 PM · edited Sat, 27 November 2010 at 4:31 PM

Sounds like we're going to have a lot of NMIATWAS scenes going on. I don't think a lot of content providers are going to buy a new version of Poser just to creat content for a poorly supported character.

Or do you know something I don't?

But there won't be any NV(5)IATWAS scenes because that won't work in poser, if they don't support it. But I'm don't know more than you do, I'm just anticipating. IMHO I think it's better that DAZ and SM work together, but  I don't have a crystall ball to  see that that is happening.

best regards,

Bopper.

Edit after reading your last post, IMO I think the biggest marketplace for V4 is not CP or DAZ but Renderosity and their main platform is poser. A lot of D|S users are complaining for the lack of compatibilty, and they have the right to, but I'm afraid that won't change when DAZ introduces a character that isn't poser compatibile.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 6:36 PM

Quote -
Edit after reading your last post, IMO I think the biggest marketplace for V4 is not CP or DAZ but Renderosity and their main platform is poser. A lot of D|S users are complaining for the lack of compatibilty, and they have the right to, but I'm afraid that won't change when DAZ introduces a character that isn't poser compatibile.

They swear they're working to keep Poser and DAZ products compatible at DAZ. I don't know WHAT SM is thinking because they won't say publicly. That said, DAZ sells very few products that are Poser only. Notice you only find Studio-only dynamic clothing there.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 7:08 PM

Notice you only find Studio-only dynamic clothing there.

Not completely true, Nathy at DAZ sells dynamic clothes for poser.

But to stay OT, I would very like to see weigth mapping in poser, not only to keep it compatible with new DAZ figures, but because it's much better than the old way of rigging. If this this feature is included it would be nice to make the weight-maps in poser. The set-up room would be the best place to do, I suppose, or an extension for the grouping tool or the morph tool. What I also like to see in poserpro 2011 is a plug-in for modo export.

SSS is already mentioned, but what I really want to see is coloured transparency ( I found a way to achieve this, but only with postwork), caustic lighting would also be nice. And a better and faster way to do transparency in indirect lighting.

regards,

Bopper.

stepson ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2010 at 7:13 PM

For Poser weight mapping: Please make it the paint-soft selection method. 😄

Life is hard, but what a ride.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 2:34 PM

Just posted this at DAZ.

I'd like the ability to add morphs, textures, or hair mats through drag and dropping.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 5:15 PM

I'd like to be able to select a whole folder full of clothes and drag and drop onto poser and autoconform and automagnetise to V4, like i can with the shaderworks library manager from rdna.

Love esther

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 6:50 PM

Quote - I'd like to be able to select a whole folder full of clothes and drag and drop onto poser and autoconform and automagnetise to V4, like i can with the shaderworks library manager from rdna.

Love esther

Coming.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 7:05 PM

EXCELLENT!

While you are there, what would be quite useful too is if the recently used runtimes could be in their own menu ie say I am using about 10 different external runtimes in a scene and want to use a pose or something, instead of having to scroll through everything, if could just see recents it would speed up the work flow I think.

Love esther

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 8:26 PM

If Smith Micro could put together something either like the like the new Kinect software and hardware or figure out a way we could legitimately use it with Poser without trying to hack out a solution.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 8:30 PM

first get MS to allow full access to Kinect.

right now any access to Kinect outside of game developers on a PC is hacked by enthusiasts.

I'd love to have full acess to Kinect! I can see the potential for motion capture (2 kinects - yup can be done, hackers have already found 2 or more can be used together....

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2010 at 9:19 PM

Oh yes, me and EClark1894her would like some improved cartoon rendering options please.  Eg some little checkbox to make a nice coloured toon that still keeps the orginal textures but puts toon lines, keeps transparency without having an edge around eveything and the toon line shouldn't just be a single black line around the whole object.

Love esther

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.