Sun, Sep 22, 12:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: would anime studio be suitable for this style of comic

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 6:54 AM

file_462675.png

this is one of my attempts

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 6:57 AM

file_462676.png

okay, I think I got the hang of it now.

I'kll see if I can make her face less shadowy in  a minute

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 6:59 AM

file_462677.png

I think this could work...

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 7:03 AM

file_462678.png

yes, this definitely could work!!!!

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 7:06 AM

bevans84, is there a way to reduce the shinyness at all,not that it looks bad in this render but for some I may not want it.

Love esther

PS thankyou so much for showing this script to me and helping me learn it.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 7:40 AM

file_462679.jpg

just tried it in vue.  If I import the PZ3 into vue 9 checking the box keep poser shaders, the tooning imports too.

It doesn't look quite as good as the tooning imported from poser after tooning with olivier's art materials and shaderworks when I bring it into vue afterwards, but that might be my settings.

Fantastic.

I think this will be a very useful tool in my 3d armamentarium.

Love esther 

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 7:58 AM

file_462680.png

well there are some very good points to this method of tooning, speed and ease being the main 2. I might use it exclusively for awhile and see how my comic looks to me later on.

Love esther

bevans84 ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 8:14 AM · edited Wed, 08 December 2010 at 8:15 AM

Esther,
Under Specular, you can check "None" instead of "Current" or "Gloss". That should get rid of the shinyness. I nearly always use a couple of pose files on the texture sets before applying the Toon script. One sets all the skin diffuse to white, and the other removes all skin gloss, however, setting the Specular to None should get rid of the gloss also.
Then again, sometimes it looks better with the gloss. :-) (go figure)

On the settings, it looks like there was a mistake. For Dark Color, try .5 in the first column instead of 0.0

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 6:38 PM

Yes, I may have to set specular to none for import into vue.

I played around with a few different scenes and I can see that you are right about the gloss, sometimes it looks very good.

Love esther

3dactor ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 2:23 PM

file_462738.jpg

These renders out of Anime Studio 7 Pro are of some of Smith Micros Poser Dinosaurs Imported into AS. In this case I imported the Posed obj instead of using the Poser import, but only because I already had it laying around. I think I ran the textures through a palette knife or dry brush filter in Photoshop to get rid of some of the detail. I then adjusted the stroke in AS. The T-rex has no stroke

3dactor ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 2:24 PM

file_462739.jpg

Talarurus, with no stroke as well.

3dactor ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 2:25 PM

file_462740.jpg

Stegosaurus with a thin black stroke.

3dactor ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 2:26 PM

file_462741.jpg

and Talarurus with a different simpler texture, but with thick extended Strokes.

3dactor ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 2:36 PM

I had some renders of Andy imported and Posed in Anime Studio, but can't track them down. You do have me intrigued now though.. May have to try a human figure with clothing... If I can find some time, I will post my results.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 7:42 PM · edited Thu, 09 December 2010 at 7:46 PM

one thing would be interesting to see - can A.S. generate variable line widths like a pro human artist: either turns the pen tip or uses less pressure?  it's so easy for inker to draw them, but hard for software to automate it IMVHO.

p.s. no anime studio gallery here, nor a forum for it, hence difficult to know if typical users are able to produce professional-looking toons.  teyon can, but he's not typical user.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 3:03 AM

I would like to see pz3 people tooned in AS

Love esther

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 3:35 PM

I second this. From what I've seen so far AS seems to do a pretty good job in tooning, but I want to be sure before I spend some money.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 4:40 PM

Quote - I would like to see pz3 people tooned in AS

Love esther

And here I thought that's what I showed. Oh well.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 4:44 PM

oh I meant more and standing in scenes.  I did like the one you posted very much!!!

bevans84 ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 6:47 PM

file_462790.jpg

I haven't used it much, it's on my "to do" list, but here's a pz3 scene used earlier imported into AS 7 Pro. The outlines didn't really suit me, so I shut them off in the layer settings before rendering.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 7:04 PM

Right but tooning in Poser (sans lines) is already trivial and you have a lot more control. I've posted toon shaders that can be used with VSS.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 7:36 PM

Yes, I'm just waiting for your VSS pro and then I will try it.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 8:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/Advanced-Material-Manager.html

By the way, have you seen this ht BB?

I haven't tried VSS yet, but I vaguelly remember (I could be wrong), you once saying that you have to have nodes in VSS with certain names to do group actions on them,

and now this software allows you to make batch changes to nodes names and all sorts of other things.  I wonder if the two would integrate together to make speedy workflow?

I've actually got this material manager from rdna.

Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 8:45 PM

bevans84 I would have liked to see those lines turned on.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2010 at 9:27 PM · edited Fri, 10 December 2010 at 9:29 PM

Quote - By the way, have you seen this ht BB?

I saw it recently. I don't have it but I watched the videos - it looks very handy.

Quote - I haven't tried VSS yet, but I vaguelly remember (I could be wrong), you once saying that you have to have nodes in VSS with certain names to do group actions on them, and now this software allows you to make batch changes to nodes names and all sorts of other things.  I wonder if the two would integrate together to make speedy workflow?

The names in VSS are so that it knows which maps are for what purpose. They're not hard to set them up - you connect a bunch of image maps to things and then you click a button to automatically name them. if I ever were to make the Pro version with a real GUI it would be pretty much automatic because, as in that program, you'd be editing in VSS instead of in Poser. This naming business only happens once. You don't have to do it on the figure - just on the template you're creating.

There are some fundamental differences in philosophy between the two. In VSS you explicitly create templates and synchronize them with target material zones. In Semidieu's product, you simply select several that have the same shader and as you edit they stay synchronized. Both techniques accomplish the same, as long as everything is identical.

But!

Unlike VSS, semidieu did not make the concept of a template shader - a shader without any specific maps in it. In his examples, he shows the synchronized editing of the skin shader for the torso only. He's carefully avoiding the fact that you'll have to make all those edits again and again. Once for all the face zones, once for all the limb zones, once for all the torso zones, etc. It doesn't separate shader from texture set like VSS does. When you edit with VSS, you don't care about the fact that the textures aren't the same.

In his product, if you were to load a new skin shader into all the skin zones, you'd have to go back and edit the textures again. I think. Having never used his product, I may be making mistaken assumptions. But in VSS, you don't. Loading a shader is separate from specifying which textures go into those shaders.

Similarly, the plan for my Pro version also includes the reverse - you can load new textures without trashing the shaders. But we're all waiting for me to do it instead of talking about it. LOL.

Well my main job is ending and I have no work that I know of next month. The only reason I didn't finish VSS is because I have always spent my time on my consulting work because it pays a lot more than I think Poser plugins would pay. At least, that's always been my assumption. But if I have ZERO income (as it's looking right now) in January, then there will be no reason for me to put off finishing VSS.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bevans84 ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2010 at 4:51 AM

file_462810.jpg

> Quote - **bevans84 I would have liked to see those lines turned on.**

No you wouldn't. :) This is with silhouette and creases turned on.

bevans84 ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2010 at 4:54 AM · edited Sat, 11 December 2010 at 5:02 AM

file_462811.jpg

With silhouette off and creases on. Silhouette alone would be nice if it didn't put all that funky stuff on the face.

Turning material lines on puts a line at every poser material zone, like between the thigh and the shin.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2010 at 1:07 PM

yeah, tashar's spear girl on page 1 is good example of anime line-work.  cel-shading for anime should be either monotone or two-tone IMVHO, as 3-tone shading on animated characters violates anime dogma, which allows for rendered static backgrounds.  I can see that linework presents some challenges in A_S.  need smooth lines and ability to vary line width according to lite source.  as mentioned by bill, that may be a job for APS or other postwork.

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2010 at 1:55 PM

The lines are the difficult part. Still not a suitable solution, or so it seems.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2010 at 11:31 PM

the lines in D3D toon script look nicer, but the shading looks a bit nicer i think in AS

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:07 AM · edited Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:09 AM

file_462860.jpg

here is the D3D script with the following settings:- 

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:09 AM

file_462861.png

rendered in poser

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:11 AM

and then pz3 imported into vue and rendered:-

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:12 AM

file_462863.jpg

and then pz3 imported into vue and rendered:-

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:27 AM · edited Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:32 AM

file_462865.jpg

and toon filter in phtoshop to background - I just rubbed out but I could have rubbed out accurately by rending a layer mask in vue.  Just dind't bother this time.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 1:39 AM

file_462866.jpg

here i have made the scene in vue darker and for some reason in vue the scene gets lighter.

(i tried it before  the other way and making the scene lighter makes the girl darker)

semidieu ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 2:33 AM

Quote - Unlike VSS, semidieu did not make the concept of a template shader - a shader without any specific maps in it. In his examples, he shows the synchronized editing of the skin shader for the torso only. He's carefully avoiding the fact that you'll have to make all those edits again and again. Once for all the face zones, once for all the limb zones, once for all the torso zones, etc. It doesn't separate shader from texture set like VSS does. When you edit with VSS, you don't care about the fact that the textures aren't the same.

In his product, if you were to load a new skin shader into all the skin zones, you'd have to go back and edit the textures again. I think. Having never used his product, I may be making mistaken assumptions. But in VSS, you don't. Loading a shader is separate from specifying which textures go into those shaders.

It is also working for mats that do not share the same texture map :)

http://www.shaderworks-studio.com/Advanced/MaterialManager/Teaser/05/MultipleMaterialsNoMaps.html

And even if it does not have the same structure. Notice that the 'order' is important. If you make the connection in the SkinFace directly on the image_map, it will connect in every materials in the Image_map, skipping what is 'before'.

http://www.shaderworks-studio.com/Advanced/MaterialManager/Teaser/06/AMM_DifferentShader.html

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 11:10 AM · edited Sun, 12 December 2010 at 11:12 AM

Cool semidieu - that's a great tool you made. You should replace the multi-material editing demo then because it implies you can't do that across different map sets. That does the product a disservice.

semidieu ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 4:09 PM

Thanks BB :)

I'll redo the flash movie to change this - or perhaps simply add the one I made to the other and explain that it also works across the different materials :)

flibbits ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 1:48 AM

I had no idea AS could import from Poser.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.