Mon, Oct 21, 10:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: extreme OT: Why are British programs so much funnier?

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 8:00 AM
Site Admin

My favourite British series has to be  'Allo, Allo'?.   Extraordinary characters, unbelievable situations and just brilliant dialogue.  I think I could watch reruns of that with pleasure :)

Coleman ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 8:07 AM

I like 'Are You Being Served' and 'Last of the Summer Wine' and 'As Time Goes By'...

The british 'Office' is fantastic as well.

British dramas are getting better and better as well...in the States the broadcast shows are all 'reality' or cop shows now... CSI in every city. It seems like HBO, Showtime... the pay cable companies are making the best Stateside shows these days.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 8:29 AM

Quote - 47% TV viewers in the US have never worked (their TVs are paid for by tax payers).  That is a huge demographic to advertize soap to that won't even buy fresh batteries for their own smoke detectors.

????????????

No, I can't....it'lll break the TOS.

Laurie

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 8:35 AM

Quote - US TV is trying to sell soap to the lowest common denominator.  If someone is entertained between commercials, it is not intentional.  47% TV viewers in the US have never worked (their TVs are paid for by tax payers).  That is a huge demographic to advertize soap to that won't even buy fresh batteries for their own smoke detectors.

got any proof to back that up? some links we can see? since that makes no sense at all in anything approaching reality.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 12:20 PM · edited Mon, 24 January 2011 at 12:21 PM

Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Nothing up my sleeves! Presto! ROAR!

Adopt one today!

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 1:00 PM

Ab Fab.

Doesn't get any funnier.

DarrenUK ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 1:40 PM

Quote - The british 'Office' is fantastic as well.

Although I'm a Brit, I quite like the American version as well, probably because the format allows for it rather than just trying to remake the original.

Don't know if this has been seen in the US or even been made yet, but Ricky Gervais is set to reprise his role as David Brent in an episode of the US version of The Office (unless his presenting gig at the Golden Globes scared the networks!) ;) .

Which leads to another thing, the press here seem to think that the US or at least the tv networks don't seem to understand British humour, especially after the GG. As most of you here seem to "get" British homour, do you think he went too far in his roasting of the actors there? I didn't get to see all of it but would be interested in what you thought.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:19 PM · edited Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:23 PM

Frankly, I find Ricky Gervias' brand of humor much closer to the American than to the British. It lacks wit, but contains plenty of profanity ;o).

Laurie

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:32 PM

seriously.. gervais is funny......?

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

DarrenUK ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:33 PM

Quote - Frankly, I find Ricky Gervias' brand of humor much closer to the American than to the British. It lacks wit.

Laurie

That's kind of what I thought. His jokes were in the "roasting" style. I saw the Shatner comedy roast and some of the Pamela Anderson one. Channel 4 here have started making their own ones with British "celebs", but I think they can be a bit too near the knuckle. I assumed that as it seemed to be an American tradition and the difference in humour that it would have gone down better with the US. Possibly it seemed worse to the US audience than past roasts because it was a British comic doing it? and some Americans are under the misconception that the Brits are always polite, the same way American tv seems to portray Canadians.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:55 PM

I just remembered something that's partly relevent.  The few remaining soap operas have scripts that are either imported from south america or have writers from there.  So it isn't just comedy that is being imported.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 3:15 PM

I don't mind harsh comedy per se. Lisa Lampanelli has given me a chuckle or two and she's downright brutal. But I like the wit of British humor - it's more "intelligent" than most American humor. I don't know how else to describe it than that ;o). While Jeff Foxworthy and the word intelligent don't seem to go in the same sentence, I use him as a way to describe that not only can you be funny without swearing (he rarely ever does) but even though he describes himself and his kin as "rednecks" - a term that implies a certain lower intelligence level by stereotype - his comedy is fraught with wit. One of the funniest things I ever heard was Foxworthy describing the birth of his daughter. "It looked like a wet St. Bernard trying to come in through the cat door". It's all in the metaphor ;o).

Laurie

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 4:09 PM

Bean is probably my all time favorite. It's pointless scenes, about a pointless man, living a pointless life, and it's funny. The Bean movies tried to add plot, which ruined them.

When I grow up, I want to be Eddi Monsoon. Ever notice her daughter seemed to have an American attitude about everything? g

On American comedies, the movie MAS*H was very good. The series was depressing. Hated Cheers with a passion, Friends, even worse.

Since someone up there mentioned reality shows ("Not reality, actuality."), I'll admit to being an addict a few years back. When it got to the point that all I did was worry about random axe murderers roaming the streets, being fried by gamma rays at any moment, looking in the rear-view mirror for speeding asteroids, jumping at every rattle, because the Yellowstone Caldera must have blown, trying to tell just how much further away the moon was this month, and that constant niggling feeling that the Mayans must have known something... I swore off them. It was either that, or start a website claiming the secret powers controlling the world were hinting at imminent global chaos through cable tv...

coldrake ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 4:30 PM

Quote - US TV is trying to sell soap to the lowest common denominator.  If someone is entertained between commercials, it is not intentional.  47% TV viewers in the US have never worked (their TVs are paid for by tax payers).  That is a huge demographic to advertize soap to that won't even buy fresh batteries for their own smoke detectors.

Quote - ???????????? No, I can't....it'lll break the TOS.

Laurie

Awww, c'mon Laurie, you know you want to...... I know I do! :lol:

I believe he's talking about some other country, maybe not a real one, I don't know, but it's definitely not the U.S.! Maybe he posted in the wrong thread?

I've always loved British humor. I think they appreciate wit and absurdity more than we do.

Coldrake

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 4:44 PM

I do want to...lmao.

Laurie

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 5:51 PM · edited Mon, 24 January 2011 at 5:53 PM

Office is the one series that I haven't liked in either British or American versions. I also don't like Ricky Gervais, but did enjoy An Idiot Abroad, but only because I felt for the poor dolt he sent to all those places. I don't think he went too far for a roast, but for the Golden Globes? Yeah, he probably did. Time and Place. 

Adopt one today!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 8:14 PM

I used to find "The Young ones" hilarious! There used to be a show on years ago called the "Goodies" they were funny too.

My Facebook Page

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 4:15 AM · edited Tue, 25 January 2011 at 4:17 AM

The Goodies was contemporary with Monty Python; ie 40 years ago when first broadcast.  I loved 'em when I was a kid.  I wish they would repeat them here.

The Young Ones was another gem and yet another Ben Elton creation.  Elton was a good standup artist, too.

Another show I really enjoy is Outnumbered.  On the face of it, it should be a dismal failure but oddly enough it's genuinely laugh out loud funny.  It's about a middle class family with 3 children.  If you ever get a chance to see it, do so.  Hugh Dennis plays the hapless father but it's the children who are the stars of the show, particularly the little girl.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 8:33 AM

My wife liked "Keeping up Appearances" and "The Vicar of Dibley". One I didn't see mentioned here was "Absolutley Fabulous". The wifey watched "Eastenders" for a bit until she started back to nursing school. I liked "Are you being served" but I didn't like the American version of the office it was too fratboyish for me. I like just about all of Rowan Atkinson's work until they made those Mr. Bean movies.

My Facebook Page

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 11:13 AM
Forum Moderator

Oh please tell me that at least one of you has seen and loved 'One Foot In The Grave' or 'Fawlty Towers'?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

ssgbryan ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 11:28 AM

Quote - My wife liked "Keeping up Appearances" and "The Vicar of Dibley". One I didn't see mentioned here was "Absolutley Fabulous". The wifey watched "Eastenders" for a bit until she started back to nursing school. I liked "Are you being served" but I didn't like the American version of the office it was too fratboyish for me. I like just about all of Rowan Atkinson's work until they made those Mr. Bean movies.

I did.  Ab Fab keeps me rolling on the floor.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 11:29 AM

of course.

and Men Behaving Badly.. and Red Dwarf... Hale and Pace.... Alas Smith and Jones... Bottom.. Newman and Baddiel in Pieces... The Mary Whitehouse Experience...

Milky Milky...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 1:34 PM

@ Bryster - already mentioned Fawlty Towers.  Somehow, One Foot in the Grave was overlooked, though.

@ PaganArtist - Never cared for Appearances or Vicar of Dibley.  Too mainstream sitcom for my tastes.  Me Missis watches 'Stenders, although it's not really a comedy (apart from the ludicrous story lines, lousy acting and manky scripts, that is).  Ab Fab has been mentioned favourably, though.

@ MagnusGreel - Liked all the above except Hale and Pace.  Thought they were loathsome.  Re: Milky Milky... He's the stressed out dad in Outnumbered.

Another one worth watching in the early days was My Hero.  Later episodes were pants, though.

My Store

My Gallery

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 3:24 PM · edited Tue, 25 January 2011 at 3:28 PM

I think perhaps the Beeb can (or could, when times were less tight?) be more adventurous with programming, allowing them to find what worked and (presumably) learn from that and continuously refine the material.

Looking at this list, though, not everything is remembered or, one assumes, was worth remembering.  So... (apologies ST :lol:  My father does it, I think) is a better quality of British humor implied, overall, or is that perception due to a sampling error?  😕

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/

I really wish The Goodies and The Brittas Empire would be released on Region 1 DVD, myself.  :sad:  And I personally think the British programming I've seen tends to be superior to that which I've seen from anywhere else, much of the time.  The BBC is a great idea and I hope it isn't killed in the name of austerity cutbacks.  That would be a loss to everyone, and it might not ever come back, if and when the economy improves.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 11:21 AM

As a Brit, I appreciate good comedy, and I grew up with Python, Blackadder, etc. But some of the older, more traditional TV series from the 60s were excellent too. I'm thinking of Steptoe & Son (done in the US as Sanford & Son), Till Death Us Do Part (US version - All In The Family with Archie Bunker), and few others of that era. However, America has produced some really world-class comedians/comedies too. Probably the best of them all was Lenny Bruce, the forefather of alternative comedy. And (to me) the greatest satirical genius of all time - Tom Lehrer. Strangely enough, Tom Lehrer was probably more appreciated in the UK, and to this day, many british comedians, (like Rory Bremner), cite him as a huge influence. Also, parody movies like the Zucker Bros (Airplane, Naked Gun, etc), would never have been made in Britain, and someone like Weird Al Yankovich could only be American. So it's not all bad in the States. Btw, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Little Britain yet. I found it generally pretty high quality - totally over the top in every way, but I love that. I recently saw a travel spoof they did (dunno what it was called), but it was great too. mac

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 11:24 AM

Re the BBC, I recently read somewhere that the BBC, as a 'brand name', inspires more confidence around the world than any other news corporation, not to mention the majority of governments. Apparently, most people trust the Beeb more than their elected leaders. LOL. mac

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 12:17 PM

@ maclean - You're absolutely right.  I add George Carlin to the list of great American comedians, too.  Some of his observations predicted many of our politically correct and ultra paranoid attitudes.  As for the Zucker brothers, Kentucky Fried Movie is one of my all time favourites.  Childish, stupid, offensive and over the top... which is exactly why it works.

Little Britain is pretty good in parts, IMO.  Some of the characters and scenarios are superb, others downright lousy.  Again, IMO.

Another one I enjoy a lot is Armstrong and Miller, particularly the Urban RAF guys.

A gem from the past... The Fast Show.  :)  My wife hates it, though.

My Store

My Gallery

patorak3d ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 12:21 PM

Wallace and Grommet?

Wallace that's it.   

some place in the north of England...

That expalins why Wallace doesn't have an accent.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 12:53 PM

Quote - Wallace and Grommet?

Wallace that's it.

some place in the north of England...

That expalins why Wallace doesn't have an accent.

:lol:  Aye he does, lad.  :biggrin:

My Store

My Gallery

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 1:14 PM

Funniest thing on tv right now is the Late Show with Craig Ferguson.  Granted he's a naturalized Scotsman, but the show is thoroughly irreverant and very American (on purpose).

His Sid the cursing rabbit is just hysterical.  And covering up curses by host and guest with tortured foreign sayings "tutsi-frutsi" "Ooh-la-la".  Not to mention Jeff Peterson, the best robot skeleton side kick currently working.

I record it every night (comes on at 1:07 am here), and never miss it.

If you have somehow missed it until now, give it a try - fair warning ... may be highly addictive.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

patorak3d ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 1:17 PM

Aye he does, lad.

LOL!  Whatta trip down memory lane!

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 4:41 PM

Quote - Funniest thing on tv right now is the Late Show with Craig Ferguson.  Granted he's a naturalized Scotsman, but the show is thoroughly irreverant and very American (on purpose).

Of course he's funny! He got his start on "The Young Ones". I loved that show!

Terrymcg ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 8:28 PM

American Stand up comedy is incredibly funny and witty. George Carlin and Bill Hicks were absolutely brilliant. I still look at their videos on you tube.  Simpsons and Futurama are both very good and very funny.  Then there are the late night shows. I used to like Conan O'Brien a lot.

D'oh! Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?

project_nemesis ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 5:02 AM

I'm British. I think it's both a cultural thing and a sponsorship thing. And the mighty BBC aren't the ones to thank - Channel4/Film4 also puts a lot of (partially governmental) money into fresh talent, and we have a history of playwright culture being interwoven in University life, hence the references in this thread to Cambidge's Footlights.

Cultural differences - the British see ego as arrogance, so we tend to err towards self-deprication. I do like American comedy, it's good to 'switch off' too - there's no thought required, which is perfect after a hard days' work (Frasier, Friends, all good). All the jokes are explained, all the complexities of life simplified, and that makes it easy, lowest-common-denominator fare. It happens on Star Trek too; when they come up with an idea to save themselves ("We just need to reverse the polarity and setup a temporal vortex to..."), someone sums up the idea for the idiots ("TIME TRAVEL!"). I suppose it's to make sure more people watch it, so the sponsors and the shareholders are happy; not a particular consideration in Britain where we're more concerned with being funny (rather the point of a comedy show..).

So in Britain, we have a different culture - we tend to look down on ignorance (although that seems to be changing subtly in recent years), so don't simplify life to make it more accessible or glamourise mundanity to make it more appealing, we see value in telling it how it is, perhaps because schmaltz is easy to see through, and therefore just escapism. Plus we like talking bolx.

Dutch humour is similar to English, German humour (where it exists) is much more like American. French is very... French.

British humour isn't necessarily better, it's just always been geared more towards high-brow viewers and therefore more complex in its subtleties and more diverse in its presentation.

Apart from Benny Hill, who is rubbish.

Klebnor ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 6:57 AM

Quote - British humour isn't necessarily better, it's just always been geared more towards high-brow viewers and therefore more complex in its subtleties and more diverse in its presentation.

Really?  Perhaps you can explain the two Ronnies then.  Highbrow?  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, but really ... maybe we define highbrow differently.

And how about "Are you being served" ... very "complex in its subleties".

Nick Park enjoys a very broad audience, and it's hard to find a lot of sublety in "The Wrong Pants".  Maybe the complexity went right over my head.

Klebnor

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 7:37 AM

Agree with Klebnor.  I don't get this "highbrow" tag we Brits are given.  Like the polite one, it's a myth.

I have an idea why the humour over here is different and it's tied in with my ideas about sarcasm, which is also more of a Brit trait than American.  The US constitution provides a right to free speech and freedom of expression but we don't have that over here.  I believe this is the reason why Americans tend to just come right out and say something, whereas Brits tend to go round the houses.  With sarcasm and irony, one can always pretend the statements should be taken at face value.  Much of Brit humour is based on this characteristic.

Back to Klebnor's remarks...  I never cared for Are You Being Served.  Like 'Allo 'Allo, it's of a piece with mainstream comedy.  I did, however, enjoy The Two Ronnies and Dad's Army, which I guess are part and parcel of the same thing.  I'm surpriesed Not the Nine O'Clock News hasn't been mentioned, nor Morecambe and Wise.  Oh, and of course, Vic Reeves, who is, IMO, a genius.

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 8:27 AM

You may be on to something there SamTherapy, but coming right out and saying something most times kills the punch line in comedy ;o). Maybe it's because I'm by nature I'm a sarcastic person that I like British comedy. Perhaps that's the connection and why I like it...lol.

Laurie

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 8:29 AM
Forum Moderator

I think Wallace is a Yorkshireman. He does have a North of England accent.

Little Britain doesn't do anything for me. I did see Billy Connely live many years ago. We cried with laughter for two hours. Perhaps surprisingly, Des O'Connor is hysterical. Saw him recording one of his shows. We were part of the audience. Off camera he's so much fun. He took the rise out of the stage manager something wicked and he loves joking around with the audience.

Saw Lenny Henry, Ronnie Barker and quite a few others on trips down to the BBC. Tickets were free. Always had a good time.

In more recent times I found that I understand American comedy shows less and less. Two and a Half men? goes right over my head.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 9:04 AM · edited Thu, 27 January 2011 at 9:08 AM

Quote - I don't get this "highbrow" tag we Brits are given.  Like the polite one, it's a myth.

I never felt Brit comedy was highbrow nor polite ;o). More's the better...lol.

If anything, I think it's that Americans are becoming too polite - too PC. "Don't say anything that might hurt someones poor wittle feewings". Drives me nuts it does.

The major difference between Brit and American comedy is that a Brit can tell you you're a complete moron and you don't even know it. If an American does it, you not only know it, but it comes out sounding rude and tactless ;o).

Laurie

Klebnor ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 9:09 AM

Quote - If anything, I think it's that Americans are becoming too polite - too PC. "Don't say anything that might hurt someones poor wittle feewings". Drives me nuts it does.

Laurie

Try Tosh.0 on comedy central.

Nothing PC about it.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 9:18 AM · edited Thu, 27 January 2011 at 9:22 AM

Quote - > Quote - If anything, I think it's that Americans are becoming too polite - too PC. "Don't say anything that might hurt someones poor wittle feewings". Drives me nuts it does.

Laurie

Try Tosh.0 on comedy central.

Nothing PC about it.

I've seen it. That's where the rude and tactless comes in...lmao. Rates nearly up there with 'Jackass'. Egads....hated that show.

;o)

Laurie

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 9:41 AM

Quote - The major difference between Brit and American comedy is that a Brit can tell you you're a complete moron and you don't even know it.

That depends of course on how much Brit TV you're used to watching. I think I'd know it if Black Adder called me a moron. :tt2:

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 10:18 AM

True...lol.

Laurie

scanmead ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 11:44 AM

ah... sarcasm. I can do sarcasm...

There is a lady at work who is a master (mistress?) of the subtle roasting. She can tell a person to their face they're a total jerk in such a way they end up thanking her. (While everyone else is trying not to blow the deception by exploding in laughter.)

Good point, Laurie. Listening to a 5-minute thrashing by Chef is much more entertaining than the simple "a**hole" Americans would come up with.

Mogwa ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 12:24 PM

"Mr. Bean" and "Are you Being Served?". Some of the Steptoe and Son episodes are quite good.

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 5:54 PM

Quote - If anything, I think it's that Americans are becoming too polite - too PC. "Don't say anything that might hurt someones poor wittle feewings". Drives me nuts it does.

Laurie

Yeah. It's what Billy Connelly calls 'The Comedy Police' (aka The Finger-Wagging Brigade). As Connelly says, "Funny is good. Not funny is bad. That's all there is to it"

I don't know about this Brit 'highbrow' stuff either. British comedy has never struck me that way. But I do think there's one major difference in the British/Americans which is a large part of good comedy - the ability to laugh at oneself.

I think the brits are able to laugh at themselves more easily and more often. I don't want to generalise (or sound anti-american, because I'm not), but maybe americans have bigger egos or something. I dunno. But a lot of british humor is based on taking the piss out ourselves and our ridiculously silly habits and characteristics. Which I find very healthy.

mac

scanmead ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 6:31 PM

You know, this could develop into a dissertation on Deeply Rooted Deficiencies in the American Core Self-Confidence. Historically speaking, Americans have been the yokel, the buffoon, the hick, the Ugly American, the worst tourist, the unsophisticated traveler. (Bringing us back to An Idiot Abroad. ) Hence our over-compensation in trying to either be über-cool, or bluster our way through situations like a Sherman tank.

Let's face it, Keeping Up Appearances was a much better show than Real Housewives of (fill in city of choice). And none of the current Housewives can ever hope to be Edwina Monsoon in AbFab.

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 6:54 PM

I can't say what I think is funny because it would devolve into politics which is against the TOS.  :rolleyes:

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 7:34 PM

"highbrow" Brit comedy?

the Young Ones? Bottom? Hale and Pace?

*Allo Allo obsessing with the Fallen Madonna with the big boobies by Van Klump....

HIGHBROW??

thats comedy right there!*

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 28 January 2011 at 7:24 AM

Quote - Historically speaking, Americans have been the ......... worst tourist, the unsophisticated traveler

Ha! Have you ever seen the Brits on holiday! They're bad... really bad!

Mind you, you can probably say the same about travellers from every country when they go abroad.

mac

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.