Sun, Oct 6, 3:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: V5

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 1:45 AM

Attached Link: Julien Dupre, femme versant a boire

"I've seen superb mesh developed is extremely simple freebie mesh tools, and utter rubbish created in high-end modelling apps"

But Robyn a model is not judged by how fine the mesh is but how it looks in the finished composition..!

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 2:59 AM

Quote - The reason there is no consensus about almost anything here in the poser forum is because we are talking from different viewpoints. Most people want to use Poser to create illustrations. Nothing wrong with that but a few (bigbraader, London224 come to mind) try to use Poser as a tool in the workflow for serious art. Anyone who has tried to do a studie of something by Bouguereau or Waterhouse know how utterly ridiculous it is to claim that you can make clothing like this in Poser, dynamic or not. (in any reasonable time that is) Marvelous Designer is the first breakthrough (a beginning) to real art. Clothing is the first and main obstacle.

Still what has this got to do with the thread topic. It's like your pushing MD on everyone because it's the best thing ever. But it still does not convert any .obj like Poser can. So it's still not a full answer to the Poser clothroom. Don't get me wrong. I have and use MD. I think it is a very good app. But again it's not even a plugin for DS yet. So again I'll ask. What has this got to do with this thread about the new gen 5 figures and thier rigging and what software to use them in.

Wouldn't all your focus on MD be put to better use in a MD thread? Or a realistic clothing thread or something other than a new figure thread? Or have I missed something here in your posts and If I have I apologize beforehand.

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 4:27 AM

Discussing the future of Poser vs Daz Studio is not out of context in a V5 Thread. What I say is somewhat similar to circumstancial evidence. There is a number of issues about Poser's future and the company that market it, as I have pointed out. Each point per se doesn't prove much but when stacked upon each is somewhat worrying. To that you can add that they never have been able to market a successful figure and that the Marvelous team choose Daz Studio and not them. It adds up. But facts doesn't rock a true believer. Time will tell.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 4:56 AM

Quote - "I've seen superb mesh developed is extremely simple freebie mesh tools, and utter rubbish created in high-end modelling apps"

But Robyn a model is not judged by how fine the mesh is but how it looks in the finished composition..!

That was done in Marvelous Designer??? Wow! That's beats modo anyday! :biggrin:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 5:02 AM · edited Tue, 26 April 2011 at 5:03 AM

"That was done in Marvelous Designer??? Wow!"

I am aware that you are sarcastic (in good humor of course no offense taken), but I take up the challenge -I show you. :)

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 5:10 AM

NB Marvelous Designer is a Windows only app - so no use to me.

As for the Poser/DazStudio arguments, use what you prefer - I like Poser and I don't like Daz, but that doesn't imply I'm going to say one is better than the other.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 6:38 AM · edited Tue, 26 April 2011 at 6:42 AM

Quote - Discussing the future of Poser vs Daz Studio is not out of context in a V5 Thread. What I say is somewhat similar to circumstancial evidence. There is a number of issues about Poser's future and the company that market it, as I have pointed out. Each point per se doesn't prove much but when stacked upon each is somewhat worrying. To that you can add that they never have been able to market a successful figure and that the Marvelous team choose Daz Studio and not them. It adds up. But facts doesn't rock a true believer. Time will tell.

OK your statement still does not make sense to me.

First, lets point out that the reason that the Marvelous team chooses DS is because DS HAS to have a plugin. Poser doesn't need a plugin to use MD clothing because of the way the Poser clothroom works. In fact if you look at your import export options in MD you will see that the Marvelous team included more than one setting for Poser. So in fact. Couldn't we say that they chose Poser over DS first?

Second. I still don't understand why you think MD is playing a significant roll in the future of DS and Poser. Both are still going to be around with or without MD.

And as for Poser owners not able to market a successful figure is simply the lack of figure integrity. But not very many people buy Poser for thier figures since P4 who it was Zygote who made the figures and split to become DAZ for Poser figures IIRC. Yet none of that has stopped the development of Poser. Nor has it stopped us from buying each new version. With version 9 in the works.

You know, I've been watching the Poser is dead posts for years now. Funny thing is. We still have Poser.

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 6:57 AM

I rest my case. I don't want to give the appearance that I WANT Poser/SmithMicro to fail, which is not the case. I long for something better though.

anupaum ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 11:34 AM

Quote - I cannot stand to use Poser Pro 2010 anymore. It will not be launched by me again except to test compatibility.

Relax.

Ok, coming from you, this is a very serious remark.  I use Poser Pro 2010 all the time, I really like it, but it sounds like the new version of Poser will be an improvement.  That pleases me greatly!

:)

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 2:01 PM

Quote - But facts doesn't rock a true believer.

So... many... snide... retorts... demanded... by... this.  Must not give in!  Argh!  >head explodes<

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 3:18 PM

Quote - I rest my case. I don't want to give the appearance that I WANT Poser/SmithMicro to fail, which is not the case. I long for something better though.

I have not said anything that backs up what you have been saying except the poor figures and as I said, most don't buy Poser for the figures. You don't buy DS for the figures either. Just a couple of bases come with it. So far all your statements that you say are big problems with SM, except the figures, I have shown you that DAZ have the same problems. So what makes you think one is doomed more than the other if both are still developing.

Then do what many of us have done for better software. Invest in higher end software. Costs a lot more but you get what your looking for. Though Poser does quite a lot for what it is. DS as well as they pretty much do the same thing.

cage

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 3:38 PM · edited Tue, 26 April 2011 at 3:39 PM

What I did today was that I 1) dowloaded and fouled around with Daz studio 4 beta and 2) learned that the Daz people do rigging (up to now) with something called Figure Setup Tools - no doubt better documented and supported than anything in the Poser world. I am already 90% sure that I will do the switch. Version 4 is completly different, a totally new program.

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 3:55 PM

blah, I will stick to Poser 7 and my outdated figures. Most of the clothing I have is for V3 anyway and I can not afford to buy it all again for V5. If Poser were to die I would get the plugins to run rigged figures in my Lightwave box

The last Daz studio on my system was a buggy mess that kept crashing so I was not filled with wonderment about it.

Daz studio made it fairly clear years ago that they were moving away from Poser with a closed application for dynamic cloth, and the subdivision models and LOD. 

From memory there were a couple of clothing design systems being pushed , but neither of them still seems to be in the market. I may be wrong about that though.

I am not in a position to upgrade my computer (single processor 2.08 ghz with 512 ram) or my Poser (7) so V5 is not a worry.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 4:32 PM

Quote - What I did today was that I 1) dowloaded and fouled around with Daz studio 4 beta and 2) learned that the Daz people do rigging (up to now) with something called Figure Setup Tools - no doubt better documented and supported than anything in the Poser world. I am already 90% sure that I will do the switch. Version 4 is completly different, a totally new program.

The figure rigging tools are realitivly new compared to the software. Couple of years now? So it is only from that time on that they used it. And you still read every once in awhile about things not working right in Poser using them. So they are not perfect either. They used Poser before that for everything. There is documentation on the set up room for Poser but after all these years it has kind of got scattered around a bit. But that does not mean there isn't any. Daz is not known for updated documentation and hasn't been for years. Unless you count the pay for documentation. Manuals are years and versions behind. One tool does not make it all OK again.

As for DS4. I did say a few times in this thread that people need to try the beta so they can understand the new system and software better. I still prefer Posers UI over DS4 even with it's UI changes. But I did say I would put it in my toolbox. Might not use it much except for export reasons. Tools are tools and have some use.

But who knows what the next version of Poser will bring. I don't buy because someone says it's the best thing going as some will and do. I need a copy in my hands to see for myself to make up my own mind. And there lies the problem as in DAZ is showing what they are doing and SM is not. I can see how some will jump ship on that alone. Getting to actually try something to hearsay.

Still it will be later on, maybe end of year? So lots of time to show thier hands.

In the mean time and in between time it's time to fire up messiah and do some rigging today before I turn into a couch potatoe watching hockey.

isikol ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 4:40 PM

hey Guys and Girls....

if BB is saying that "he can't stand using poser pro 2010" that is making me wanna jump around like crazy!!!!

if BB is saying that SM people are not stupid, what i understand is ..."are you people nuts? Do you think that Poser 9 (or whatever name they gonna give) won't support the next best selling figure of all time?"

if BB is saying all those things we should just sit and open wide our ears to listen!

sure he can't speak...i understand...but from those thinks he said, i can sleep with full of optimistic hopes!

if the next Poser is such a hit its going to have a great support from a lot of people...

Poser has been left aside in the 3d community...and it has so many potentials...it lucks just a few things to "grow up"...a high quality render engine would be great and generation 5 figures...

and it will go sky high in miliseconds...!!!

God im so excited after BB statements!

p.s. sorry for my bad English...i know they suck big time...

patorak3d ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 4:56 PM

So what are the people at SM/Poser going to do when Vickie packs her bags and hits the highway.

Silke ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 5:08 PM

Until that "always running process" is resolved, DS4 will not be installed on my machine, come hell or high water.

When I close an app, I expect it to close all processes and not suck up memory although I'm not using it.

DS4 is doing just that with this content management service they make you install. (Check the DS4 threads on the Daz Forums)

There is also a problem with Metadata (which is why DS has to connect and check, as I understand it), but when someone spoke up about Poser handling it differently -- he instantly had his head bitten off for daring to mention Poser.

So DS4 Beta will go nowhere near my box until they stop that process from auto starting when you're not even using DS.

Another thing... I'm with you on the Cloth room.
And yet another thing... DS standard, with no plugins, no nothing, may be free, but if you want an all singing all dancing version, you pay a heck of a lot more for everything you want/might need, than you would spend on Poser.
On top of that, the plugins are 3rd party supported. Which means every time DS changes, the plugins need to be updated and may not work until the plugin creator does that. How many plugins have been abandoned over the years?
I think anyone making a living from creating renders for projects can't really rely on an application where only the core functionality is guaranteed, but not any 3rd party plugins they might use/need to use to create what they want to show a client.

The full figure setup tools for DS are what... $150?
I bought them a while ago and sent them back, because they announced DS4 and a totally different setup in there. Since no one could tell me if the Advanced Setup tools plugin was still needed in DS4, I'm not touching them with a bargepole right now.

I have nothing against modular software. Vue does it very well, but then...all the modules are made by E-on, not 3rd party supported. That's the difference. If Vue is updated, all the modules will work after the update.
If DS is updated, you're usually stuck until the plugin creator updates the plugin.

That bugs me.

Silke

patorak3d ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 5:30 PM

Well said Silke,  well said...

Somebody want to show Vickie the door...i think she's worn out her welcome.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 7:47 PM

Silke. Agree with the Content management. DAZ made everyone install that with no choice in the last beta version. Boy am I glad I didn't install that. Many of us had told DAZ not to pull that kind of stuff on people before they did it. It was mentioned in some other thread earlier on about doing this. I think it was the Genesis thread. But don't quote me. Everything to do with all this is so scattered in so many different forums and threads there.

Unfortunately there are to many DAZ fans that think anything DAZ does is a good thing  and tell them so and most of those seem to have only one computer and use it for everything. Unlike those of us that don't let our main work machine/s connect to the net. We shall see if they have done something with that on the next release. Just wait and see what others have found out before installing it.

The setup tools still do what they do in DS4 for everything but the new gen figure. IIRC there will be an upgrade to use with the figures. Agree the price is ridiculus. Can you imagine what the price will be to use with the new figures? But then again, buy the tools and never buy anymore content is much cheeper. I can prove that now. I rarely buy anything from these stores anymore. I just make my own stuff.

No point in telling V5 to pack because you know it will not happen. How many times have we heard that one over the years and the fact is, DAZ still makes the best figures. Not counting the one or two that are out there. 

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 8:06 PM

Quote - I cannot stand to use Poser Pro 2010 anymore. It will not be launched by me again except to test compatibility.

It just dawned on me; Gamma correction for the Masses.  The mind boggles....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 8:23 PM

Quote - > Quote - I cannot stand to use Poser Pro 2010 anymore. It will not be launched by me again except to test compatibility.

Or a choice of colour correction algorithms... GC, corrected-sRGB... what-have-you. How about: roll-your-own?

Metaphor of Chooks

coldrake ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 9:39 PM

Quote - Silke. Agree with the Content management. DAZ made everyone install that with no choice in the last beta version.

It's kind of hard to beta test it if no one downloads it.

Quote - Unfortunately there are to many DAZ fans that think anything DAZ does is a good thing  and tell them so and most of those seem to have only one computer and use it for everything. Unlike those of us that don't let our main work machine/s connect to the net.

If you're referring to the Content Management Service (CMS) it doesn't connect to the internet.

Quote - The setup tools still do what they do in DS4 for everything but the new gen figure. IIRC there will be an upgrade to use with the figures. Agree the price is ridiculus.

Personally, I don't think $29.95 is ridiculous.

Coldrake

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 9:47 PM

The content management system I just blocked with the firewall and disabled in services. A third party plugin is normally much better maintained like in 3ds max that still rules and set the standard with its 5000+ plugins, and to set up Vue as a model and good example! Great god, the most buggy application of all times..

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 10:59 PM

Tashar59-

Quote - Silke. Agree with the Content management. DAZ made everyone install that with no choice in the last beta version. Boy am I glad I didn't install that. Many of us had told DAZ not to pull that kind of stuff on people before they did it. It was mentioned in some other thread earlier on about doing this. I think it was the Genesis thread. But don't quote me. Everything to do with all this is so scattered in so many different forums and threads there. Unfortunately there are to many DAZ fans that think anything DAZ does is a good thing  and tell them so and most of those seem to have only one computer and use it for everything. Unlike those of us that don't let our main work machine/s connect to the net. We shall see if they have done something with that on the next release. Just wait and see what others have found out before installing it.

The setup tools still do what they do in DS4 for everything but the new gen figure. IIRC there will be an upgrade to use with the figures. Agree the price is ridiculus. Can you imagine what the price will be to use with the new figures? But then again, buy the tools and never buy anymore content is much cheeper. I can prove that now. I rarely buy anything from these stores anymore. I just make my own stuff.

No point in telling V5 to pack because you know it will not happen. How many times have we heard that one over the years and the fact is, DAZ still makes the best figures. Not counting the one or two that are out there. 

Maybe the best thing for us to do as poser users is to not update to V5 when she comes out.  Take the genesis thing, daz might require you to install DS4 with its memory hogging auto-starting software in order for you to even DL and install GE/V5.  If that's the case, I'm not touching it.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 11:18 PM

Why is it coldrake that you always need to jump in with that $29.95 version when we already showed the price of the full version. Sure it may be a bit cheeper on sale but still it's not the little version. Your argument that we don't need the full version doesn't hold water because some of us do and that price is very high.

Quote - It's kind of hard to beta test it if no one download sit.  If you're referring to the Content Management Service (CMS) it doesn't connect to the internet.

That's right. With no warning that you have no choice in the matter. As pointed out in more than one thread. It could have been a separate install for those that want to test it and may have a use for it. Notice how many don't want anything to do with it. But anyone can read those threads and see for themselfs. Also when asked if it will be changed or if there will be an alternative way to DL the meta updates from another computer. DAZ was very avasive about it. So yes you do need to be connected to the net for those updates. Which is what others and not just me have been saying about our machines that we don't connect to the net.

I still don't know why it is so hard for so many to understand the fact that many of us don't let our workstations connect to the net.

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 1:39 AM

Quote - Why is it coldrake that you always need to jump in with that $29.95 version when we already showed the price of the full version. Sure it may be a bit cheeper on sale but still it's not the little version. Your argument that we don't need the full version doesn't hold water because some of us do and that price is very high.

Because you always make it sound like you need the more expensive version to rig a figure and that's not true. The fact is you fully rig a figure with the $29.95 version.

Quote - It's kind of hard to beta test it if no one download sit.  If you're referring to the Content Management Service (CMS) it doesn't connect to the internet.

Quote - That's right. With no warning that you have no choice in the matter.

If you don't like it, delete it. Simple.

Quote - So yes you do need to be connected to the net for those updates.

Yes, but you have to allow it to connect. It doesn't do it by itself.

Quote - Take the genesis thing, daz might require you to install DS4 with its memory hogging auto-starting software in order for you to even DL and install GE/V5.  If that's the case, I'm not touching it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Coldrake

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 9:35 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I cannot stand to use Poser Pro 2010 anymore. It will not be launched by me again except to test compatibility.

Or a choice of colour correction algorithms... GC, corrected-sRGB... what-have-you. How about: roll-your-own?

I also wonder if more of BB's rendered figures will have hair?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

bopperthijs ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 11:14 AM

I also wonder if more of BB's rendered figures will have hair?

Have you ever seen a goldfish with hair?

regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 3:01 PM

Quote - Because you always make it sound like you need the more expensive version to rig a figure and that's not true. The fact is you fully rig a figure with the $29.95 version.

You always assume that nobody here needs or has a use for the Property Editor. ExP Exporter, Morph Loader Pro. Why is that? When anyone says how much these tools are and they are expensive. $169 for the bundle if your not a plat member and don't catch it on sale to get it down a bit. You come waltzing in after me for agreeing and start telling everyone they only need the basic to do everything.

Quote - If you don't like it, delete it. Simple.

No. It should not be automatic install without letting people know. It should have been stated in the first place if there is no option to op out of that install. And even when uninstalled. You have to go looking for the leftover files that are place all over the place because DAZ has a different path for every little thing. So not simple as you say. That's just not right to do that in the first place.

Quote - So yes you do need to be connected to the net for those updates. Yes, but you have to allow it to connect. It doesn't do it by itself.

With no way to get those updates unless you connect to the net as what I was saying in the first place. So those of us that don't let our work machines connect are still forced to do so. Again, why is this so hard for so many to understand.

coldrake ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 1:39 AM

Quote - You always assume that nobody here needs or has a use for the Property Editor. ExP Exporter, Morph Loader Pro.

No I don't, now you're just making things up. Do those tools make it easier? Faster? Yes they do. Can you do more with those tools? Yes you can. But the fact remains you don't need them to fully rig a figure.

Quote - You come waltzing in after me for agreeing and start telling everyone they only need the basic to do everything.

I never said that either. I said you only need the basic Figure Setup Tools to rig a figure.

Coldrake

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 2:00 AM

Well, I may or may not get V5 when she comes out. I don't know. But I don't think V5's situation will be any different from the current one with Miki 3.

Either get the model now  and hod it until you have the software to make it work or wait until you do.

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 3:28 AM

i think everyone here has the right to not try out V5. i understand that V5 will not look like a real women.

but weight rigging is realistic. and for that alone they deserve all the money.

coldrake ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 8:45 PM

Quote - i understand that V5 will not look like a real women.

What makes you say that?

Coldrake

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2011 at 4:19 AM

Quote - > Quote - i understand that V5 will not look like a real women.

What makes you say that?

The most obvious (not mutually exclusive) possibilities are :- 1) The belief that the figure won't be based on a scan of a single identifiable model.

1. The belief that the proportions will be somehow not match some artistic ideal.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2011 at 5:41 AM

Quote -

1. The belief that the proportions will be somehow not match some artistic ideal.

Nor have those of any woman I have met ...

Sunfire ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2011 at 3:09 PM

What little bit that BB says, has me now saving my pennies to get Poser 9 when it comes out. I had played around with the idea of sidegrading from Poser 7 to PP and he told me to wait for 8 that I would like 8 and he was right.

So I will sit here and save my pennies, my nickles, my dimes, to get Poser 9 when it comes out, and hope that it has Sub-D and the weight mapped rigging, and the means to transfer the morphs from the character to the clothing so that making clothing for charactes is almost (if not as) easy as making dynamic.

I had a beta version of DS4 to use while I tested something for Daz and I just uninstalled it. If I can get the genisis figure and the V5 add on cheaply I will, on the grounds that eventually I should be able to use them in Poser but I likely won't be using DS4. (Unless some new bryce upgrade insists on it for pulling content into Bryce. And then I will only use the free version.)

For now I shall sit here, quietly and wait and be patient and not stress as BB suggests.

Sunfire's Creations

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2011 at 6:52 PM

Speaking of 3rd party apps, doesn't Poser 8 REQUIRE a 3rd party app?

R

BadKittehCo ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2011 at 7:58 PM

Quote - In the past, and now again, I see fear-mongers predicting dire consequences based on an assumption that SM-Poser staff are among the stupidest people on earth, who not only started stupid years ago, but have no ability to learn anything at all about marketing or technology. Such comments are not only distracting us from discussing important things, but I find them offensive.

I and a few dozen other lucky souls have just started playing with the next iteration of Poser and I'm absolutely not allowed to say anything about it because of NDA and they are really serious about this. So all I can tell you is this:

SM guys are very smart and I am impressed, not disappointed.

Talking about if/why Poser users should/would upgrade on the basis or assumption that only one new feature is offered is patently ridiculous.

I cannot stand to use Poser Pro 2010 anymore. It will not be launched by me again except to test compatibility.

Relax.

YAY!   I hear ya, people are soooo good at assuming the worst... and the wors seldoim happens. Especially when someone with at least half a brain is at the rudder.

Looking forward to the new and improved Poser :)

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours? 

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2011 at 8:04 PM · edited Sun, 15 May 2011 at 8:05 PM

Quote - Speaking of 3rd party apps, doesn't Poser 8 REQUIRE a 3rd party app?

It requires a resonably updated version of MS Windows or OS X as described in the product requirements.  Everything else required is included...

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2011 at 10:43 PM

I agree, Connie. I'm pretty much as excited as you are about what BB can't really tell us about, but hey, if he's excited, I'm excited!! I don't need a lot more reason than past experience. PP2010 is about as incredible a product as SM have come out with (or its predecessors).  So, saving my pennies... this is going to be awesome!

Metaphor of Chooks

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2011 at 11:07 PM

Quote - I agree, Connie. I'm pretty much as excited as you are about what BB can't really tell us about, but hey, if he's excited, I'm excited!! I don't need a lot more reason than past experience. PP2010 is about as incredible a product as SM have come out with (or its predecessors).  So, saving my pennies... this is going to be awesome!

That said, I'd like for SM to come out with some improved figures, and maybe some improvements in their setup room for rigging.

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2011 at 10:48 AM

I am an admitted Poserholic. I also like to play on the bleading edge with some software. Old programmer in another life and old habits are slow to die... To steal a line from Chris Matthews aka "Mr. Tingles" on MSNBC, "The thought of Poser9 and especailly PP2011/12, sends a tingle down my leg!" Go get em SM staff! :thumbupboth:

In regards to V5, I'll wait a bit for all the issues to be sorted out. Have so many projects and partial scenes underway with V4, S4, M4, it will take me a lifetime to finish them all. Unlike V3 being dropped quickly for V4, not so sure if the same will occur in regards to the V4 to V5 transition. Plus the world wide economy being what it is right now will have an impact on merchants if they are required to upgrade software and characters and learn different technologies. I don't envy the merchants at all at this momment and time, in regards to DAZ4, Poser9 and V5.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Spiritbro77 ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2011 at 12:37 PM

Quote - > Quote - Daz isn't dumping Poser, it's saying Smith will have to make changes to its programs to use the V5 figure.

Oh dear, and that tweak could also expose all other stuff to going wonky in Poser.  Tsk tsk tsk.

So DAZ shouldn't design a more advanced figure/system? They should just cludge together a few tweaks on to V4 call it V5 and be done with it in fear of things going wonky in Poser?

How many times over the years have the myriad of companies that owned Poser changed the program regardless of it's effect on DAZ'S business?

I've been away from the community for some time and it's quite evident coming back that DAZ Studio and Poser have developed in different directions.

When DS was first introduced it was a security blanket for everyone that thought Poser might fold. Now it's a serious ap in it's own right. It's not surprising that as the two aps develop independently more and more product won't cross over.....

It seems Smith has a choice coming, adapt P8 etc. to accept the new DAZ model or develop figures that make everyone jump ship from the DAZ line.......something that hasn't happened since the introduction of V1.

Sunfire ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2011 at 12:59 PM

No one is saying that Daz doesn't put out quality figures and content. (well some of the content that comes from there these days seems to have slipped through QC while those doing QC had their eyes closed.)

What people are saying is that Daz really has a problem putting out a good program. And that it makes little sense to put out a figure that requires a new program (and that one so buggy it makes most back yards seem bug free) to use. They're saying they're thinking that Daz may be overreaching themselves.

I do hope that Smith Micro is implementing the weight mapped rigging and the Sub-D in their new version without losing anything that makes Poser so great (like a material room you can understand and the cloth room that can turn any object into dynamic cloth without needing a plug in that doesn't work on Mac and doesn't work in the 64bit version of the program).

Sunfire's Creations

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2011 at 4:50 PM · edited Mon, 16 May 2011 at 4:52 PM

I just fired up DS 3.newest for the first time not having opened DS since some version of DS 2.old. I must say that there are a lot of changes, but I still cannot make heads or tails of the user interface (which is why I abandoned DS when it was still free).

I really only installed DS again to load the Temple of Mars Prop by Kraig, so I could export it and load it into PP2010. It worked best for me exporting it using generic Collada, which imports into Poser without having to size the prop. Sadly I don't know how to get the doors to open or close, but I can just make them transparent which is almost as good. Kraig modeled the columns fairly close together, so it is hard to get a good straight shot into the inner chamber anyway. The columns are made as two separate material groups, and each group contains every other column. I would have made the front two columns in a third group so that they could be made transparent, and allow for a straight line view into the inner chamber. But, that is not a DAZ verses Poser problem.

Except for Miki and one other figure (I think), the Poser figures have been provided as content with Poser, meaning that one had to own Poser to get the content (legally). With the introduction of new rigging capabilities in Poser 8, the Alyson and Ryan figures will not work properly in DS. Since David(3) the DAZ figures have been less and less compatible with Poser. The DAZ version of sub-d, and dynamic cloth are completely proprietary. It has been the ingenuity of content providers and users that has kept the two communities of products as close as they are now.

So DAZ and Poser have already been moving in their own different directions for some time. Unless these companies allow for compatibility, eventually the users will not be able to straddle the difference for themselves.

If DAZ makes products that I cannot get to work in Poser, then I will not buy those products. That isn't critical, petulant or punitive, it is reasonable. If I were a DS user, I would feel the same way. If the DS and Poser products are better off with proprietary product lines and a separate development pathway, great. If not, I hope they adjust their trajectories.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2011 at 10:35 PM

ikendall, regarding Daz dynamic cloth there is no way the content works in any Daz version for the Mac. They said they would evaluate the windows demand and then decide if they would create a Mac plugin. I might be wrong, but there is no tools that I know of to create dynamic content for Daz. Whereas in Poser I can save a figure as a prop and convert it dynamic myself. Or anybody can create dynamic content from any program that can create an .obj file which works in any recent versions of Poser. They locked out the developers and by doing so limited developers from taking the risk if they so desire to create dynamic content. Therefore limiting the market and reducing the potential demand, IE: creating a ground swell of demand for dynamic content. Therefore in my opinion dynamic content for Daz is a niche market becuase of the limites placed on it's creation. Whereas in Poser it is more widely used and a reasonable amount of content is created for-sale or freebies.

I hope for all parties concerned both companies understand they have to be careful not to create a niche that precludes the majority users no matter their choice.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Black_Star ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 7:24 AM

Any probable release date for V5? One month, three months, six months, more than a year?

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 10:51 AM
Online Now!

Isn't V5 part of the Genesis package in DAZ?

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 10:52 AM

Quote - Any probable release date for V5? One month, three months, six months, more than a year?

Soon :biggrin:

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote - In the past, and now again, I see fear-mongers predicting dire consequences based on an assumption that SM-Poser staff are among the stupidest people on earth, who not only started stupid years ago, but have no ability to learn anything at all about marketing or technology. Such comments are not only distracting us from discussing important things, but I find them offensive.

This.

Here's a clue, folks - they talk to each other in a given week more times than you talk to your own spouse/kids/cat/whatever.

Neither company wants to jepoardize the millions of bucks they rake in each fiscal quarter. I think that in this case, D|S and Poser is the best definition of the word "frenemies"

I suspect that things will be slightly bumpy at first, but will smooth out from there.

Me, I'd positively kill for weight-mapping. I'd also kill for a rigging that actually lets me modify, say the torso to a natural spinal bend, instead of carving up a mesh into a zillion chunks and hoping the end result looks okay and conforming clothing doesn't explode in the process. Soft-body dynamics w/ proper collision detection? Been a PITA ever since I wrestled with it years ago, and a workable solution (that doesn't take a week to calculate) has yet to come out, IIRC (and if I'm wrong about that bit, please, please, please tell me - I want to know!)

/P

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.