Thu, Sep 19, 3:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:48 pm)

Subject: Mariko - Any User Reviews Yet?

Disciple3d ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 3:44 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 2:19 PM

Are there any early adopters of the new figure from Animotions? Love to hear some feedback or see some sample renders on this one.

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 5:45 PM

Just went over to the site.
First impression, nice.
No polycount specified but seems yet another poly hungry lady.
Sorry anything over 15.000 is not worth HD space

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 7:26 PM

Was also considering getting this figure - just wondering how she deforms. Big issue: she looks a bit emaciated, poor thing. Wonder if there are morphs for her figure...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

MyCat ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 7:57 PM

There are morphs. Scroll down to the links to her documentation PDF and morph list. If the morph list had line breaks I could even read it, but it doesn't.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 9:04 PM

Thanks, MyCat. Do you have this figure? If so, how does she bend?

Metaphor of Chooks

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 9:27 PM

Annoying promo images... all blown out so you can't see how good the texture details. I guess it's part of the style they're after, I dunno.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 9:34 PM

Well, I guess if the mesh is good, anything can be made better with a weightmapping session, I suppose.

Metaphor of Chooks

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 9:58 PM

Oh, that's fine for rigging. But it's nice to start off with a decent texture. Especially for a paid model.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 10:35 PM

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, hard to tell even from the pdf...

Metaphor of Chooks

Disciple3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 7:53 AM

I think it' such a different paradigm, having such a high price for the base figure, that the odds are stacked against Mariko, unfortunately. I'm always intruged to see new figures be they low or high poly. Regardless, Daz has set the standard of the base figure being free and rowing against that flow spells almost certain failure imho, no matter how excellent she is.

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

vilters ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:08 AM

THE problem for there "one off" figures is support.
I see one naked expensive figure
One dress =>not included
One bikini =>not included
One hair =>not included

All pretty expensive too

No details of the model
No bending examples
Few morph examples
Texture can be good but it does not show in the promo pictures

For such an operation to have success?
Figure + hair and a basic clothing set should be free.

The money comes from the extra's at a reasonable price.

Poly count choice??
OR pretty low, around 10-15K max, with animators as the main clients.
There are way too few Low poly count figures for animators.

Or , very high for the still picture clients.

But these "around 20-25K poly figures?????

Morph Judy, Morph Posette, and already have a ton of freebies for them.
V1 & 2 come to mind also.

Or?? The figure has to bring something NEW!!!
But I do not see that either??

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 12:37 PM

Well, to be fair, if you go outside the Poser market, you pay much higher. $50 would be really cheap end.

But this figure does seem to be aimed at Poser - the site is Poser/DS-oriented, and the comparisons are to V4.

Even for the Poser market, though, Miki 3, Terai Yuki etc are priced higher. So are figures like the AOneDolls. BUT.... those figures come with varying amounts of stuff - clothing, hair etc.

At any rate... I'm not likely to pay $35 (intro sale price, too, apparently) for a figure that has nothing unless she is extremely high quality... which they simply do not demonstrate with a promo of that nature. (I'm not nearly as concerned about clothing as I used to be, since most of the time I use dynamic clothes nowadays, and it's a lot easier to get something approaching a fit for something created for a different figure. And of course the weight mapping tools offer a conforming possibility too, but I haven't tried that.)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 4:36 PM

Well, since no one is will to, I suppose I should. <> I'll go ahead and buy the figure, download the file, install the figure and render using the default settings and everything in PP2012.

Then I'll bend the poor girl all around and render that.

Then I'll start making some dynamic cloth for it... anyone interested in seeing that?

...Anyone at all??? :blink:

Metaphor of Chooks

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 5:02 PM

I'm always interested in seeing dynamic cloth or hair. And your work is excellent. :)

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:14 PM · edited Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:15 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_473459.jpg

she has 70104 polys and 78 groups. She reminds me of the shoulders Dina V had. Her texture map is different but quite like natalia and dina.

Ive included screenshots, all the poses are of antonias except the running one, that one is of V4 also untouched, wich she doesnt take very well at all, she doesnt sit on her hands like she is supposed to, or even crawl, like the other pose lol she is up on her side( this is really how it came out when i clicked on the pose). She does take V4 poses but not without adjustments, i think you have to adjust a lot to get the same pose. 

All in all i am not unhappy because i like different figures. But she reminds me still of Dina V i.e the same problems, except a better looking face. Please click on the picture for a better view.

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:18 PM · edited Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:19 PM

file_473460.JPG

She has a dent in her elbow and a bit further it bulges, the knee bend isnt really extreme at all, but still cracks, this is a standard v4 pose, namely: "legs crossed" I did not adjust the pose!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:22 PM

Thank you for that - good ON you, Lover3D... you've saved me the trouble. That is a way excellent review, meaning: exactly what I wanted to know. She looks like she might benefit from a bit of weightmapping, perhaps. Particularly in the hip-thigh area...

Metaphor of Chooks

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:24 PM

file_473461.JPG

V4 beach pose, made her vayaya move:P

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:27 PM

file_473462.JPG

Yes weightmapping will do her good, i will also post some wireframes:) She has a bit weird mapping, due to the back and the front are divided. But she those mistakes can be fixed, the mesh is excellent i think. Btw she comes with hair;).

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:28 PM · edited Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:34 PM

file_473463.JPG

She also comes with an additional lip layer for gloss effects. but i think that is redundant due to the effects you can create in the material room in poser or ds studio. i dont know if she works in studio, because i dont work in studio yet! The topology is very clean, this is something i really like! 

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:36 PM

I think her mapping is not the best at all but James doesnt have a great UV map either but my client loves james.

I must say the ear is underdeveloped it leaves to be desired. She doesnt have good ears like Apollo Maximus or Antonia. But maybe some morphing of the ears will do wonders. She has 300 morphs for body and face. 

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 9:01 PM

Be interested to see how her texture holds up under SSS... which really shows it up.

Metaphor of Chooks

lover3d ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 9:05 PM

RobynsVeil: yes SSS can do wonders for painted texture maps, for instance the one done by BB on the painted skin of James is very well executed. But all in all SSS is no miracle worker. if your painted maps or your photorealstic maps are done wrongly, the SSS will not look good at all. Let alone if you try to do SSS thermo maps or other SSS stuff. But yes, i think she will benefit if done correctly.

rjjack ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 8:41 AM

file_473476.jpg

Got it, i am a doll collector and don't mind about the market lead, 34$ is what i save every week, while creating my own dynamic clothes.

A good news : she is a little taller than Aiko3 and i have several dynamic clothes for Aiko3, who need a little adjustment before being usable with Mariko.

On the pic i have used a very simple SSS shader not the BB one, but i have to pack my bags and for today Poser time is elapsed.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 2:35 PM · edited Sun, 02 October 2011 at 2:38 PM

That mesh is going to be a nightmare to weightmap.

WAY-WAY-WAY,  too dense.

Hey, wake up call, we live in 2011.
That useless hight poly hype is over.
70.000? and 78 groups....
Amaai men klak :-)

Goodmorning, good evening, AND Goodbye baby.
Not on my HD. (not even if for free)

I"ll trun it around,
If she wants me to use her, she will pay me for it.

For that muscle detail?
10K poly's would have been all that was needed.

And ? As I said before . There is nothing  "NEW".
NOTHING, nada. ZIP, Niks, Rien, Nichts.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 3:17 PM

IIRC, you can convert the figure to one group with PP2012. No?

lover3d ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 3:19 PM

Believable3d: yes you can, but if you do this automatically, the same problems will exist in the weightmapped version as in the bones version, you can alter it later of course.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 3:25 PM

Of course. I'm just suggesting that the number of groups itself shouldn't really be that much of an issue.

lover3d ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 3:28 PM

I tried to lower the polycount, you can do this in zbrush if the mesh contains no triangles, but she has triangles so unfortunately you cant lower the mesh count, and keep the quad topology. it is possible if you convert the triangles to quad and then lower the polycount in zbrush and keep the quads but with a lower dense mesh. time for me to invest and experiment with it tomorrow.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 5:21 PM

file_473482.jpg

Just an example of the PoserProLO Res female at some 8000 poly's to show what can be done with Lo Poly models.

Click to enlarge, the STOP sign is the default Poser8 prop. :-)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 6:52 PM

Heh. Looks better than the default Alyson. :biggrin:

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 6:59 PM · edited Sun, 02 October 2011 at 6:59 PM

file_473486.jpg

Thank you,

Oh dear???? Hope SM does not read this.......
Thanks for the complement.

The default figure and :
Here are some of her sisters.
Morphed, some texture work, and HSV nodes.
Click to enlarge.

Disciple3d ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 8:05 AM

Quote - she has 70104 polys and 78 groups. She reminds me of the shoulders Dina V had. Her texture map is different but quite like natalia and dina.

Ive included screenshots, all the poses are of antonias except the running one, that one is of V4 also untouched, wich she doesnt take very well at all, she doesnt sit on her hands like she is supposed to, or even crawl, like the other pose lol she is up on her side( this is really how it came out when i clicked on the pose). She does take V4 poses but not without adjustments, i think you have to adjust a lot to get the same pose. 

All in all i am not unhappy because i like different figures. But she reminds me still of Dina V i.e the same problems, except a better looking face. Please click on the picture for a better view.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. You've saved me some money!

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 9:09 AM · edited Mon, 03 October 2011 at 9:20 AM

Quote - Just an example of the PoserProLO Res female at some 8000 poly's to show what can be done with Lo Poly models.

Click to enlarge, the STOP sign is the default Poser8 prop. :-)

Darrell made those too.  Now, Vilters, do an extreme body morph on them. Let's see how well they hold up with an excessive obesity morph or morphed into a troll of some kind? Do you see where I'm going. Low res figures - at least until we get SDS - have their uses but they also have their limits.

Edit: The lady I'm modeling at the moment will fall under 30K (probably around 27K) when finished. I think this is a good range. It's not too dense and not too light. Should allow for a wide range of extreme morphing. Now what would be great, is if we get SDS because then, instead of the 27K-30K model, she'd be around 5K - 6K. The reason for that is because SDS would be able to add geometry at render time for any extreme morphs, removing the need for extra geometry in the model itself.  

Here's hoping but I do agree, often less is more.

oh and just to put some perspective on it, a guy at Dreamworks released a "film res" model at GnomonWorkshop that is about 56K. Since Poser content creators have no clue what way the models will be used, they have to model for all possible uses, including film. Just saying.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 9:23 AM · edited Mon, 03 October 2011 at 9:28 AM

Well, when I find the time I will give thenm a go !!!! Obesity or troll Huh :-)

No body does, but I realy like the PoserPro Lo Res figures, they are a gift from GOD.
I do not have a contactpoint for Darrel, but I would surely like to thank him.
You can forward this to him.

You know I am quite critical when it comes to figures, and if you ahve one to beta test, I 'll surrely give them a try.

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 9:32 AM

:) Will do.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 9:45 AM

Looking forward to it.
I like my figures/models as close to "real" woman as possible.

The PoserPro females are VERY good and you know, they bend extremely well.
A tad low with the 8000 poly's, and I personally think the "ideal" Lo Poly model lays somewhere around 12.000 poly's as long as the poly distribution is where it is needed.

12000 and weightmapped, now that would open some options....

Have a nice day.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote -
 The lady I'm modeling at the moment will fall under 30K (probably around 27K) when finished. I think this is a good range. It's not too dense and not too light. Should allow for a wide range of extreme morphing. Now what would be great, is if we get SDS because then, instead of the 27K-30K model, she'd be around 5K - 6K. The reason for that is because SDS would be able to add geometry at render time for any extreme morphs, removing the need for extra geometry in the model itself.  

What is SDS?

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 11:50 AM

Internal subdevision.

At render time the object can be subdevided.

Something the current "smooth" option does not do.
It smoothes, but does not subdevide the mesh.

PS, all my Low Poly examples use a smooth setting of 180 in general preferences.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 12:46 PM

Heh. Since I got PP2012, I haven't even been using smoothing. Have turned off in render options. I would have thought that make the humans look blocky, but not so far (now an 8000 poly figure, I'm sure, would be a different matter....).

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 1:34 PM

The smoothing options are in :
General preferences => Document => Smoothing => Default crease angle
The default value is 80, ==>> it is this setting that I put at 180

Also :
For every object group in the parameters palette there is a checkbox that you can check or uncheck : Smooth Polygons crease angle.
With a default setting of 80.

In the render settings you have the checkbox: "Smooth Polygons" to activate the smoothing.

Smoothing is well documented in the manual.

As said my default is at 180.
When I want a low poly object to stay sharp edged "as is" just uncheck the Smooth polygons in that partucular objects parameter palette.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 2:32 PM

Thanks, I know where the options are. I'm just saying that I haven't been using it in PP2012. I'm getting excellent human renders without it.

Richabri ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 6:54 PM

[What is SDS?]

[Internal subdevision.]

Students For A Democratic Society - from what I recall they disbanded due to internal subdivision as well :)

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 7:49 PM · edited Mon, 03 October 2011 at 7:54 PM

Attached Link: http://www.luxology.com/modo/tour/pixarsubdivisionsurfaces.aspx

It's Sub Division Surfaces. At the moment Poser has a very basic smoothing feature (I believe it simply smooths the normals). True Sub Dvision Surfaces would allow for increased polygon count on the fly. If there was one thing Daz currently has over Poser it would be that in my opinion. I don't know if Daz uses Catmull-Clark though, which is my preferred method, as it often minimizes texture distortion when objects are subdivided.

bantha ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 12:39 AM

Poser smothing does more than just fiddle with the normals, which you can easily see if you try that feature on a mesh which isn't made for it- I had bulging furniture, bulging wooden beams, all kinds of stuff.

IMHO smoothing in Poser is subdivison, but it's not Catmull-Clark. It does not look like Doo-Sabin either, but I'm not sure about that. Try to smooth a model with big, thin polygons and see what Poser does.

But I hope for Catmull-Clark in Poser 10 too. It would do a lot of things much easier. 

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:41 AM · edited Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:43 AM

file_473553.jpg

**lover3d**, thanks very much for purchasing Mariko and for posting about her. However, I believe it does a grave injustice to any figure to post examples with poses applied that were meant for a different figure with different joint parameters. Here is an example of Mariko poses applied to V4 and Alisson. Not real pretty.

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:41 AM · edited Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:42 AM

file_473554.jpg

Here are some of Mariko with poses made for her.

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:42 AM · edited Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:42 AM

file_473555.jpg

and more. Yes, she can sit on her hands.

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 2:43 AM

file_473556.jpg

and crawl.

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 3:55 AM

Could we see some renders of her face with morphs in use ? I am seriously considering getting Mariko. Links to renders on your own site would be fine for me.

Thanks

Eternal Hobbyist

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 4:52 AM

file_473558.jpg

Some constructive remarks in the picture.

Also the breasts are too high on the chest.
And for such a jung looking girl, they are too big.
In general, I fear she must be very hungry too :-)
And the texture, seems too "pale".

When I talk about something "NEW" allow me to give an example.
When the arms move up and down, the Breasts move up and down also.
Up till now, NO figure does that. None.

A good effort, certainly, but for this high poly count?.. m m m m.

Chalenge:
Show me something, anything, I can NOT do with a LOW poly count figure and a displacement map.
With a 4096X4096 texture and displacement map I can use 1.677.216 pixels as minipoly's. PS : my figures above do not even have a displacement map yet.

As in the picture, at 1/3 to 1/4 the polycount, she would have been fine.

Never forget, the mesh is just the wireframe to hang the texture on.
The mesh only gives the shape of the body.
Make the mesh too dense, are you are asking for rigging trouble.

It is the texture we see, it is the texture that has to give the quality.

One quality texture map at 4096x4096 is all that is required.

KISS never fails.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.