Tue, Oct 1, 11:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Are die-hard Poser users going to switch to Daz Studio for VIvky 5?

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 7:50 AM

seriously..

havent' we had this conversation a lot already?

bevans84 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 7:54 AM

Well Wolf, you talk about "all this interest", and I just don't see it. This market is really a very small segment of the whole art deal, if you put it into perspective.

Anyone can go to Quantcast and compare the site traffic between Daz3d and Deviantart and see what I'm getting at. Four or five hundred dedicated people can look like a massive crowd on the web. :-)

icprncss2 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 7:57 AM

Quote - " **Morphing a human into a troll or gorilla isn't anything new or innovative either. ** I was doing that years ago in with early versions of Blacksmith."

How about doing it in Poser or DAZ Studio on the fly without using a modeling program? Implying that Genesis isn't innovative by saying you can morph a human into a troll using Zbrush or Blacksmith is like me saying that I can get lovely flowing dynamic hair out of a Poser render by painting it afterwards in Photoshop.   ;)

SnowS

Isn't a morph just a remodelling of the existing polys?  If you open up the My Library and look carefully at the files, there are separate dsf files for the Troll and the Gorilla.  Open them up in a text editor.  The Troll and the Gorilla are full body morphs that you dial in.  You can make a Troll fbm in ZBrush or Blacksmith add it in the usual way and dial it in.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 8:22 AM

Quote -
Anyone can go to Quantcast and compare the site traffic between Daz3d and Deviantart and see what I'm getting at. Four or five hundred dedicated people can look like a massive crowd on the web. :-)

DA does a little bit of everything - including Poser and D|S, though both are minorities on that site. I got the majority of my GIMP brushes there, FFS. 

Not sure what you were comparing with it or why, really.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 8:28 AM

Quote -
 You can make a Troll fbm in ZBrush or Blacksmith add it in the usual way and dial it in.

Certainly... or, you could just use the existing tools in either app very carefully (in the original D|S manual, I made a pair of horns using a couple D-Form actions).

Thing is, nobody wants to spend a zillion hours stretching half-edges around, or tweaking in a different app to do it. Hell, why do you think the character packages sell so well, with half of those being only the result of dial-spins?

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 8:35 AM

Well I just installed DS4 advanced 64-bit I got the program for less than $30 bucks as an upgrade because last year I had won a free copy of DS3 Advanced in a Daz drawing (which I never used LOL). I wanted to see what all the hub bub was about and to actually try the software before putting the 86 on it. I've always been a Poser user since Poser 2 mostly becuase it was all I knew. Now I use other programs such as Vue and C4d because I like the render engines in these programs over Poser and DS.

Poser has one thing that Daz doesn't and that's being able to play with other software well from an importing stand point without running rings around the earth to get a DS import into other programs.

Yes it blows that V5 isn't made for Poser at the moment I am sure that after a while a fully fuctional V5, whether it be a brand new mesh or via exporter, will come available. I also feel that someone will create a female figure for Poser on the same lines and V5 but better we have seen such characters in the works for years. I just wanted to try DS before coming to a final opinion.

My Facebook Page

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 8:38 AM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 8:46 AM

The difference between Genesis' morps and the morphs of older Poser figures is that Genesis may change the joint centers. You can, of course, morph M4 in extreme ways, but the rotation centers will stay the same. So there is a difference between the Genesis morphs and older Poser figures.

P9 / Pro 2012 has that feature, though. So it should be possible to convert that over. From what I know, Catmull-Clark subdivision is the only Genesis-relevant feature Poser lacks at the moment.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:02 AM

Also, please remember, the CR2 Exporter is also included with the (currently) free version of DS4.  So, at the moment, you don't HAVE to buy the program to export Genesis.  You'll just have to wait until DAZ complete that part.

Also, on4e thing to consider...folks, DAZ was a content company that has expanded into software creation.  It is not at ALL unexpected or outlandish that they would create content for that software.  

On the other hand, the team behind Poser (no matter who the owner) focused on the software, and it's apparent.  

Also, remember, DAZ is a company that's sole focus is its products.

Smith Micro bought Poser and continues to develop and market it. Smith Micro is not focused on Poser, nor should they be (they've got their fingers in a lot of different pots, and they do a pretty decent job).  The Poser team, most of whom have been there for as long as I can remember, are a dedicated group of folks who don't have NEARLY the resources that DAZ has to create what they do.  

So, in expecting the same out of both sides....it's like comparing apples and neck bolts.  Not even CLOSE to a reasonable comparison.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:12 AM

Quote - So, in expecting the same out of both sides....it's like comparing apples and neck bolts.  Not even CLOSE to a reasonable comparison.

This is true indeed. 

I had only mentioned Poser improving the default female figure because, well, they have gone out of their way to hire outside talent to come up with the default meshes, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for them to do it right next time. 

Hell, everyone does it - R'otica has a separate female figure meshs, practically from the day it was first launched, starting with that mega-ugly post-sex-change candidate Dina V.

Even this site tried to get into the act a good while back with "Renda" (yet for some reason, in too many cases it appears that nobody can make a foot mesh w/o grafting in Posette's feet - WTH?)

In spite of all the efforts, nobody can seem to match the Victoria series for flexibility - not only in joints, but in morphs. Until someone can break the morphability factor, well, Vicky is going to be pretty much 'it' for a long time to come.

lkendall ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:23 AM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:24 AM

file_474808.jpg

JenX:

Exactly so.

And, both D/S and Poser can be extended by scripts/plugins. Our little neighborhood of CG seems to treat plugins like parasitic infestations, but many of the "high-end" programs support a thriving community of plugin providers.

With scripts, features can be added to both programs that their developers do not have the time or resources to provide. We do not need to wait until DAZ3D and S/M get arround to these things. Come on folks, we have programmers among us. "Pimp out" D/S and Poser with some dazzeling plugin bling. Surprise, amaze, and astound us!

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:26 AM

Dude, Dina wasn't THAT bad.  :/  

There are some serious figures being created now.  Antonia, for all intents and purposes, is actually a pretty awesome.  And, since people are actually supporting her from the community, this could actually work.  

Again, though, DAZ has the resources to create phenomenal stuff.  Expecting the SAME quality out of one or even 5 guys is like expecting a child to learn trigonometry.  Possible, but not probable.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:38 AM

LOL. No, Dina wasn't that bad, tho I did have trouble getting rid of those linebacker shoulders...lol.

Laurie

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:40 AM

I probably won't switch, because most of the figures I use are clothed, and the advantages of Genesis' bends are mostly obscured. If they get a good way to put morph-following into Poser, I might.

NishikiIsshiki ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:44 AM

YES!

I go to DS for Genesis and V5.

Ian Porter ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:46 AM

Different users are going to have differnet ideas about what constitutes the 'ideal' female figure.

Fashion designers would want an 8.5 heads tall leggy model.

Fantasy artists are going to want something with muscles so it can wield a sword

'Realism' artists are going to want an 'attractive woman in the street'

And it seems, based on forum posting a good proportion of users want anything so long as it has inflatable breasts and genitals! lol

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:49 AM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:56 AM

"In spite of all the efforts, nobody can seem to match the Victoria series for flexibility - not only in joints, but in morphs. Until someone can break the morphability factor, well, Vicky is going to be pretty much 'it' for a long time to come."

I can solve that riddle for you, Pengi.

I worked with (i.e. I dissassemblied, modified, re-rigged and put back together) pretty much every mesh available in the Poserverse.

And the one thing that sets DAZ meshes apart from all the others are their edgeloops following closely all the basic muscle groups.

A mesh built that way can morph from muscle-clad bodybuilder to sexy chick to toddler without the need for displacement maps or ultra-high mesh density.

Beginners OTOH usually build a figure as a regular net, erroneously believing that a purist "all quads of similar size only" mesh would be easier to morph and render.

They also start with a female shape, despite that it's much easier morphing a male mesh into a female than vice versa.

Pre-Genesis, neither the rigging or the mapping, nor the sculpting or even the morphing of the DAZ meshes was actually that good. But the  mesh topology with the built in muscularity allowed them a much greater flexibility compared to all the other meshes.

Even the most advanced non-Poser - non-DAZ figure, Apollo MAX, failed because he always looked puffy and lacked the superior bodydetail of the DAZ meshes.

The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it. There are only so much ways to sculpt a human with the lowest possible amount of vertices yet the highest possible amount of detail.

BTW, the "best" DAZ-like non-DAZ mesh around is the P4 Dork. Which is hardly surprising as he is the Zygote male  M2 and M3 are based on.

If I were to create an anti-Genesis mesh based on a non-DAZ mesh, this is were I'd start.

MacMyers ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:50 AM

@Ian... ain't THAT the truth.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:53 AM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:56 AM

Quote: And it seems, based on forum posting a good proportion of users want anything so long as it has inflatable breasts and genitals! lol

gotta luv under bewb 😄

i'm on the DS4 free version, bought the evolution morphs, etc, instead of the DS4 upgrades.

i don't see any way to save a smartprop to a character.

did my best to give equal learning curve time to DS4 and PP12, but i'm using DS4 less and less. 

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 10:07 AM

Quote - LOL. No, Dina wasn't that bad, tho I did have trouble getting rid of those linebacker shoulders...lol.

Laurie

has linebacker shoulders

I'm just gonna go sit in the corner and hide my shoulders :(

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote - the process required to make content for V5 (model around neuter shape).

Actually, that's not true - you can model around any morph, then use the Transfer Utility to convert it into a rigged figure while reversing out the morph. You would probably need to tidy the resulting mesh up, unless you were sure it was never going to be used on another morph (and one draw back is that most of the female shapes so far are starting from scratch, not modifying the basic female morph, so that isn't always going to be a safe assumption) and you would reuse the original model as the morph for that, since it would inevitably be better than than the auto-generated morph.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 10:16 AM

Quote - > Quote - LOL. No, Dina wasn't that bad, tho I did have trouble getting rid of those linebacker shoulders...lol.

Laurie

has linebacker shoulders

I'm just gonna go sit in the corner and hide my shoulders :(

LOL!! Awwwwwww ;)

Laurie

ToxicWolf ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 11:53 AM

I think it is too early to decide for me.  I will wait another year or so before I consider anything from DAZ.  I want to see where they go from here first.

Poser Pro 2012 SR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 990x 3.46G 6 core

24G RAM

EVGA GTX580 R Video Card

Single HP LP2475 1920x1200 monitor

http://www.toxicwolf.com

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 12:04 PM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 12:11 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_474814.jpg

> Quote - The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it.

I agree completely with what you're saying about topology and anatomy, but that right there is nonsense.  The only way you're likely to get anything close to identical topology is if you copy it.  You see people copying parts of mesh of various figures because they don't know how to model for themselves, and they think they'll get away with it or just don't know any better.

e: not because it's "perfect" (although it's pretty good, granted)

If anybody finds any duplicated topology on this model when it's finished, I'll have it realized via a 3d printing service and eat it.

My Freebies

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 12:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it.

I agree completely with what you're saying about topology and anatomy, but that right there is nonsense.  The only way you're likely to get anything close to identical topology is if you copy it.  You see people copying parts of mesh of various figures because they don't know how to model for themselves, and they think they'll get away with it or just don't know any better.

If anybody finds any duplicated topology on this model when it's finished, I'll have it realized via a 3d printing service and eat it.

edible?  like a gingerbread woman cookie?  gumdrop buttons? 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 12:43 PM

"Well Wolf, you talk about "all this interest", and I just don't see it."

Hi I am mostly about the DAZ forums & the Poser Forums.
I dont find any threads over at the Daz forums
on how to get poser specific features & Figures ported over to Daz studio.

But clearly this thread and many others ,some ,Locked& Deleted, indicates
a keen interest by poser users in what DAZ has produced for their Character program
namely Genesis.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 12:47 PM

Quote - "Well Wolf, you talk about "all this interest", and I just don't see it."

Hi I am mostly about the DAZ forums & the Poser Forums.
I dont find any threads over at the Daz forums
on how to get poser specific features & Figures ported over to Daz studio.

But clearly this thread and many others ,some ,Locked& Deleted, indicates
a keen interest by poser users in what DAZ has produced for their Character program
namely Genesis.

Cheers

I have seen loads of threads asking for better dynamic clothing and better control over shaders (documentation, tools, etc).

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 1:33 PM

Quote - edible?  like a gingerbread woman cookie?  gumdrop buttons? 😄

No, that'd be too easy - 3d printing is done with a hard resinous plastic that is, pretty sure, not very tasty ;)

My Freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 1:46 PM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 1:52 PM

"I have seen loads of threads asking for better dynamic clothing and better control over shaders (documentation, tools, etc)."

Correct.
Just as I see threads asking for better Edge modeling tools in the Cinema4D  forum repeatedly at CG society etc..

But, like the Daz threads you mentioned, these are FEATURE requests to upgrade the existing program.
not a frantic effort to shoehorn,convert,transfer & hack
a non compatible program element (genesis) from its native program into yours.

Those users of DS or C4D are asking DAZ inc. and Maxon inc. respectively to add such & such feature to their applications.
IMHO *Manyposer users seem to have conceded that SM either wont bother or is not capable of creating a premium high quality Figure.
Thus this interest in a "converted" genesis" from DAZ.

Not to brag but I have quite a bit of experience with trying to move  figure rigs from one program to another( C4D, Lightwave3D)
and my experience has been that  no matter how good the plugin,converter etc you never truly get the Full functionality of the rig that you had back in the native program from which the rig originated
you always end having to "go Back "to the originating app to do something.
This is true even with the interposer plugin for C4D.

consequently you end up forcibly becoming well versed in BOTH applications.
So you poser users who "hate" DS but plan on opening it "just long enough to run the exporter" will find you will be "forced" to learn more about DS than you Currently think.

And of course DAZ will happily count you all as Daz studio usersin thier marketing campaigns

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 1:52 PM

I'm curious, as I no longer use the program (haven't had a license in years, and can't afford one now), but does Maxon create models for C4D?  

I ask because, I want to keep this in context...DAZ is a content company that also creates software.  The Poser team at Smith Micro, a much smaller entity, creates software and, IIRC, assigns and/or outsources the creation of the figures it includes with  Poser.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:00 PM

Quote - > Quote - edible?  like a gingerbread woman cookie?  gumdrop buttons? 😄

No, that'd be too easy - 3d printing is done with a hard resinous plastic that is, pretty sure, not very tasty ;)

Or chocolate

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:21 PM

Quote - not a frantic effort to shoehorn,convert,transfer & hack
a non compatible program element (genesis) from its native program into yours.

Actually except for subdivision, pretty much every other feature can be automatically transferred into Poser (and hopefully something can eventually be done about the subdivision too).

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:22 PM

Quote - I'm curious, as I no longer use the program (haven't had a license in years, and can't afford one now), but does Maxon create models for C4D?  

I ask because, I want to keep this in context...DAZ is a content company that also creates software.  The Poser team at Smith Micro, a much smaller entity, creates software and, IIRC, assigns and/or outsources the creation of the figures it includes with  Poser.

No they don't create them in-house, but a lot of sample stuff is included.  You're not expected to actually USE the sample stuff in production work, although I guess some people might sneak it in here and there.

My Freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:24 PM

file_474822.jpg

**"I'm curious, as I no longer use the program (haven't had a license in years, and can't afford one now), but does Maxon create models for C4D? "** Hi No they program modeling tools and add them to the native tool set of their product line but they also have leased/bought third party tech from other companies like Cebas for some VFX tools and used  the well known bullet physics engine for their newest hard body Dynamics  engine"modynamics" Now Maxon Cannot claim to be a "Complete 3D VFX solution for Film & TV" ,(that at present costs more that Autodesk Max& Maya,) and Blame Cebas for the aging Craptastic Volumetric particle Shader pyrocluster in C4D that nobody uses.

This is Maxons burden and Fault that VFX pros e are switching to MAX to use Fumex or buying old seats of lightwave to use hypervoxels or exporting their camera animation Data  to blender 2.5 to use blenders free Smoke simulator to comp in later.

Similarly DAZ heavily promoted "their" new Dynamic Cloth plugin. Now it is  "their feature to support and they cannot slag off all of the many gripes their users make , on to optiflex or whom ever made it.
" The Poser team at Smith Micro, a much smaller entity, creates software and, IIRC, assigns and/or outsources the creation of the figures it includes with  Poser."

Again  Like DAZ or Maxon SM is NOT Blameless for the fact that They hired Substandard Figure modelors for Alyson& Ryan and complaining directly to SM about it is justified.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:28 PM

Quote - I'm curious, as I no longer use the program (haven't had a license in years, and can't afford one now), but does Maxon create models for C4D?  

Jen - Maxon itself does not create content for C4D as a matter of fact I don't think any of the big players like Maxon, E-on or Autodesk 3Ds max creat content for their software. From I see it's third party brokers that do most of the content creation.

My Facebook Page

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:32 PM

Quote - consequently you end up forcibly becoming well versed in BOTH applications.
So you poser users who "hate" DS but plan on opening it "just long enough to run the exporter" will find you will be "forced" to learn more about DS than you Currently think.

And of course DAZ will happily count you all as Daz studio usersin thier marketing campaigns

Cheers

You keep forgetting that DAZ is/was for Poser users a content developer. They are now integrating the two together, making it incompatible with programs like Poser. So the main reason for Poser users being "upset" is the loss of a content provider and the market force it uses to drive other content providers away from making Poser content - not the features of the figure.

Having intermediate steps - like a DS4 CR2 exporter, DS4 Poser Format Exporter and a 3rd party Autofit tool - is probably too much for what advantages this new figure will give.

DAZ must have me as a customer for DS1,3 and 4 in their database. None of them lasted longer than a few weeks on my harddisk. Free programs have very little value in a market share analysis

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 2:59 PM · edited Thu, 03 November 2011 at 3:01 PM

"You keep forgetting that DAZ is/was for Poser users a content developer."

I have been a poser user since fractal designs poser 2  exporting obj files to render in Metacreations bryce3d 2
I have not "forgotten" anything
that was the past I am commenting on the present.

"They are now integrating the two together, making it incompatible with programs like Poser. So the main reason for Poser users being "upset" is the loss of a content provider and the market force it uses to drive other content providers away from making Poser content - not the features of the figure".

Well the argument could be made that the features/Quality ,thus popularity ,of a figure is what has Driven Content providers towards it.
but honestly that is a rather "chicken or the egg" debate, tough to prove either side.

"Having intermediate steps - like a DS4 CR2 exporter, DS4 Poser Format Exporter and a 3rd party Autofit tool - is probably too much for what advantages this new figure will give."

Too much for you perhaps, but some poser users have Dropped $70 USD on the V5 bundle already in hopes of getting something better than a Sims game resolution, bald naked "genesis"figure in poser pro 2012/P9..someday.

"DAZ must have me as a customer for DS1,3 and 4 in their database. None of them lasted longer than a few weeks on my harddisk. Free programs have very little value in a market share analysis"
True but under the old paradigm you never actually needed DAZ studio to use Mike3 or "the GIRL"
V5 and her content on the other hand....

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 3:07 PM

"No, that'd be too easy - 3d printing is done with a hard resinous plastic that is, pretty sure, not very tasty ;)"

But if someone could make a 3D printer that printed your models in Chocolate or some form of hard candy
 WOW !! he would $$cash in$$$  hugely I think.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 3:20 PM

Quote - "You keep forgetting that DAZ is/was for Poser users a content developer."

I have not "forgotten" anything
that was the past I am commenting on the present.

For most Poser users DAZ is still exclusively a content provider. That is the present situation, not only the past. As far as I can tell V4 content is still being sold at the DAZ store. How long? As long as it sells

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 3:36 PM

First you wrote:
"So the main reason for Poser users being "upset" is the loss of a content provider and the market force it uses to drive other.."

Then you wrote:
"For most Poser users DAZ is still exclusively a content provider. That is the present situation, not only the past."

and then:
"V4 content is still being sold at the DAZ store. How long? As long as it sells"

Accepting the two latter quotes as true
 So why are there some users "upset" then""

well I refer you to the blunt wisdom of "Imackenzie"
who recently wrote: ( paraphrasing)

"The masses dont give a rats patooie about weight Mapping & SSS they just want the latest Vickie"

This and similar threads have proven him to be correct

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 3:48 PM

Quote - First you wrote:
"So the main reason for Poser users being "upset" is the loss of a content provider and the market force it uses to drive other.."

Then you wrote:
"For most Poser users DAZ is still exclusively a content provider. That is the present situation, not only the past."

and then:
"V4 content is still being sold at the DAZ store. How long? As long as it sells"

Accepting the two latter quotes as true
 So why are there some users "upset" then""

There will be LESS content because some will be Genesis only. This means LESS choice

Quote -
well I refer you to the blunt wisdom of "Imackenzie"
who recently wrote: ( paraphrasing)

"The masses dont give a rats patooie about weight Mapping & SSS they just want the latest Vickie"

This and similar threads have proven him to be correct

When did I say the masses did care about it? I care, but most don't.

They will however still complain/be upset because some of the new goodies (textures, morphs, pose sets, clothes) they want to have will not be usable.

prixat ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:00 PM

Quote - "No, that'd be too easy - 3d printing is done with a hard resinous plastic that is, pretty sure, not very tasty ;)"

But if someone could make a 3D printer that printed your models in Chocolate or some form of hard candy

Cheers

over at evil mad scientist labs, some plans to build your own:

the Candyfab 4000:

...while they finalise plans on the candyfab 6000!  

regards
prixat

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:03 PM

Quote - Dude, Dina wasn't THAT bad.  :/  

I've seen horse anuses that were prettier. Seriously, that chick was ug-ly. We're talking beer-goggle ugly, like requiring a whole pony keg of Guinness to soften the edges ugly. I used renders of it to scare kids and dogs off my front lawn, right up until the court order which required that I not display any image of her face any longer. I can put out fires with that face, and it would be an improvement to the face. A render of her naked is the one thing on this planet that I can use, to one-up anyone thinking that Two Girls One Cup is the grossest thing on the Internet. 

Heh. I'll stop there. :)

But, I do agree with you on one bit:

Quote - There are some serious figures being created now.  Antonia, for all intents and purposes, is actually a pretty awesome.  And, since people are actually supporting her from the community, this could actually work.  Again, though, DAZ has the resources to create phenomenal stuff.  Expecting the SAME quality out of one or even 5 guys is like expecting a child to learn trigonometry.  Possible, but not probable.

Indeed, which is why I suggested that Smith Micro show up at these guys' homes, checkbooks in hand.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:11 PM

Quote - gi. I worked with (i.e. I dissassemblied, modified, re-rigged and put back together) pretty much every mesh available in the Poserverse.

And the one thing that sets DAZ meshes apart from all the others are their edgeloops following closely all the basic muscle groups.

A mesh built that way can morph from muscle-clad bodybuilder to sexy chick to toddler without the need for displacement maps or ultra-high mesh density.

Beginners OTOH usually build a figure as a regular net, erroneously believing that a purist "all quads of similar size only" mesh would be easier to morph and render.

Exactly.

Now if someone could get hold of (and permission to Poserize) meshes from the MakeHuman project, you'd have one hell of a winner (IIRC they do the same concept, but in even more detail, and they're downright crazy about it).

Quote - The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it. There are only so much ways to sculpt a human with the lowest possible amount of vertices yet the highest possible amount of detail.

I kind of disagree (see also the MakeHuman meshes I referred to earlier, which pre-dates Genesis, and I think V4 and possibly has the same rough birth date as V3.)

OTOH, you are right in that you're only going to have a couple variants at most on the optimum of polycount versus morphability.

Quote - BTW, the "best" DAZ-like non-DAZ mesh around is the P4 Dork. Which is hardly surprising as he is the Zygote male  M2 and M3 are based on. If I were to create an anti-Genesis mesh based on a non-DAZ mesh, this is were I'd start.

Strange that you'd pick that. Not that I disagree, but I'd love to know why, aside from the Zygote angle. I never thought it was that close to human musculature.

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:23 PM

Attached Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/08/3d-chocolate-printer_n_893381.html

> Quote - **"No, that'd be too easy - 3d printing is done with a hard resinous plastic that is, pretty sure, not very tasty ;)"** > > But if someone could make a 3D printer that printed your models in Chocolate or some form of hard candy ![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/thumbupboth.gif) >  WOW !! he would $$cash in$$$  hugely I think. > > Cheers

Guess what someone thought up?  LOL

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:25 PM

dangit, prixat beat me, LOL

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:26 PM

I'd remind everyone

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

while YOU personally may think a figure is ugly, that is YOUR view of it. others may (and do) disagree.

so. why don't we drop the endless attacking of the figures looks and talk about something else?

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - I'm curious, as I no longer use the program (haven't had a license in years, and can't afford one now), but does Maxon create models for C4D?  

No they don't create them in-house, but a lot of sample stuff is included.  You're not expected to actually USE the sample stuff in production work, although I guess some people might sneak it in here and there.

Ok, pjz99 makes my point here, and it's really an important one.

Before I start, I'm not attacking any view points, because, frankly, I see where you ALL are coming from.  But, the simple fact is, you cannot count on your software company to make your content for you.  

Adobe Photoshop comes with brushes, actions, filters, and a lot of things.  I rarely, if ever, use them.  I either create my own or purchase what I need that gives me a better result for my work.  Now, are they to blame that their brushes (I believe they've been the same since at least version 7) aren't as good as the ones I've purchased?  You can say "yes", but, frankly, I'd rather they focus on the software.  I'm pretty sure the dev team at Adobe hire someone else to do the creatives so they can focus on the meat and bread of what they do.

The same for Poser. 

Also, for figures...sure, we can go on and on about what figure looks like crap, but, well...fine.  Do better.  Make better.  Pengy, it's obvious you are not a fan of Dina.  I loved her.  She was REALLY morphable.  

It's not about the base figure.  The base figure is what it is.  It looks like what it looks like.  We, the end users, are supposed to be the artists.  DO something with the model.  

There are more tools out there to work with than people think.  And these models are just that, tools.  

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:56 PM

Quote - > Quote - The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it.

That looks good :). I was wondering when you were gonna graduate to a full fledged figure...lol.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 5:05 PM

Quote - "No, that'd be too easy - 3d printing is done with a hard resinous plastic that is, pretty sure, not very tasty ;)"

Cheers

I volunteer to do all the initial testing. It's dirty job, but someone's gotta do it ;).

Laurie

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 5:15 PM

Quote - Now if someone could get hold of (and permission to Poserize) meshes from the MakeHuman project, you'd have one hell of a winner (IIRC they do the same concept, but in even more detail, and they're downright crazy about it).

I thought the MakeHuman mesh was open source.  :unsure:

MakeHuman might work nicely in Poser now.  You'd only have to weightmap the figure once.  Then any other morph of the mesh, saved out of the MH program, could have the weights copied over.  Hmm.

Regarding the idea of SM buying the rights to Antonia, could they even do that, given that so many versions of the figure have been released with the Creative Commons license?  SM could derive their own figure from Antonia, just like anyone else, but how could they buy the rights to the project?  😕

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.