Fri, Sep 20, 12:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Importing morph targets in poser 12 pro from 3ds max

studioe ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 9:57 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:45 AM

I have just started working on appling morph targets to clothing figures.

I have grown comfortible to doing modeling work in 3ds max 2010.

When I try to import an object worked on in 3ds max I keep getting the message of an incorrect vertices count.

I have seen a few tutorials on this issue so I feel cofident on following the right steps. Plus in 3ds max when I open the poser obj and compare the obj with the one I worked on. The vertex count is identical.

I guess my thought is using a different modeling program.

Thanks in advance.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 10:21 AM

What are the steps you're using. Be easier to point out your mistake if you share that info.

studioe ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 10:50 AM

Actually I am attempting to do a FBM. I need to apply the morhs the the indiviual body parts to creat the FMB. However I can't get by this first problem.

1. I extport the figure as an obj. In the export options I select extort as a morph target and include body part names in polygon groups.

2. I change the size of the obj using Objaction scaler 3.0 to a workable scale in 3ds max.

3. I import into 3ds max as a single mesh and do my work on the figure using the edit mesh tool and only move the vertices around.

4. After I am done using the element selection tool I detach each figure group and name them as the same as the poser obj. In this case chest, abdomen and hip.

5. I export each body part individually. Rescale them back down with Objaction scaler 3.0 to the original size.

6. I go the the figure in poser and select the body part I wish two apply the morph and select load morh target in the property tab. A diolog box pops up...and when I load the obj I keep ghetting the message too many vertices on target obj.

I loaded the original obj from pose into 3ds max to compare the vetex count and they are identical.

Also I thought that the scaling work done on the obj may have done something however when I did a test on the obj without scaleing and no mesh work in 3ds max and re-import the morh taget I get the same message on the vertice count problem.

thanks for the reply

studioe ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 12:50 PM

I tested this with blender and get the same problem.

I must be doing something wrong or missing a step in my import and/or export steps

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:00 PM · edited Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ok, if you're doing a FBM, you should just use the OBJ from the runtime folder. It removes the possibility of any problems creeping up from exporting. 

I see your problem right there though - the break up and rename is probably where you're going wrong. Most likely that's when the vertex order (not the count, the ORDER) gets screwed up. I thought Max supported groups in OBJ files? If so, you shouldn't have to break anything up. I have a copy here and I'll have to check that.

As an alternative, what you can do is:

1. Load the original OBJ from the Runtime folder into Max.

2. Do your FBM. Export as OBJ using a unique name and without breaking anything up.

3. To get the groups back (if Max deletes them) you can use UVMapper Pro (I'm not sure if UVMapper Classic has this feature) and simply import the UV's of the original OBJ. This will restore the grouping. Save the file with a unique name.

4. Import via the Figure Menu not the file menu.  Go FIGURE>LOAD FULL BODY MORPH.

5. Give the morph a name.

That should be all you need to do. I will check on that Max grouping thing with my co worker. He uses Max to do all his morphs  (that's what Ryan's morphs were done with mostly).

-T

studioe ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:31 PM

I tried this. The test for the fbm loaded into poser ok, but when I scrub the dial nothing happened to the figure.

Do I export the odj as a single mesh from 3ds max or break the body parts down as the obj file I inported from the runtime.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:44 PM

Ok first:  the good news is that you don't have a vertex order issue.

Second: The bad news is you still need to regroup the figure. Do you have UVMapper Classic or UVMapper Pro? Classic is free but I don't know if it has the Import UV's feature. If it does, load the morph into UVMapper, then import UV's from the unmorphed OBJ file inside your Runtime folder.  Then save under a new name and import that as your FBM as described above. To test the morph, go to the Body actor and spin the dial.

That should get you a working morph.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:47 PM · edited Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:48 PM

Exporting from Max, just export, don't weld or anything else that it may give you as an option. Don't break up anything either or you'll end up with the vertex order problem.  To get the grouping back, you'll need to use the method I described using UVMapper.  I have not had the chance to test export from Max with groups yet (busy making Poser), so sorry about that.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 1:49 PM

Classic has the Import UV option.

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 2:04 PM

Thanks for that! So yeah, grab a copy of UVMapper Classic, it's free and can restore the grouping to the OBJ file wihtout damaging the vertex order.

studioe ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2012 at 2:24 PM

thanks for all your advance. I will give this a go

-R

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.