Sun, Oct 6, 7:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Rotate a whole scene 90 degrees?

z ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 2:27 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:32 AM

I just finished dressing out a set. Tables are covered with props, lights are at thier light sources and the lighting is perfect.

But  I just realized that I was looking at it wrong, and i made it sideways, and now every time I use a standard pose, the characters are facing the wall. :(

I know I can parent everything to the ground (and then rotate the ground) but there are sooo many objects.

Is there any way I just rotate the entire scene 90 degrees on the y axis?

Or- Is there anyway I can just select everything and group it like i can in Bryce?

aha

z

mysticeagle ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 2:54 PM

you can always select the camera yaw and dolly and make it seem normal that way

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 3:01 PM

I think I would drag everyhing over the objct I want to rotate in Hierachy editor. May take some time though depending on how big your scene is..

Lully ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 3:06 PM · edited Wed, 19 December 2012 at 3:09 PM

you could export all the items as one obj and re-import it at 100 percent, this may throw off the placement slightly but you should be able to rotate and move the items as one piece, you wont however be able to reposition an individual item.

Tools:- Win10, Dell XPS8900, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer 11, Hex 2, PSP8. PSP 2019 Ultimate, DAZ Studio, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Filterforge 11, flowscape,  Classic UVMapper, and several headache tablets. 

z ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 3:22 PM

There are too many objects ----

Is there a PY script that will group everything?

BTW in Bryce you do this with Control-A, Control-G. Why is poser so obtuse?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 3:34 PM · edited Wed, 19 December 2012 at 3:37 PM

"BTW in Bryce you do this with Control-A, Control-G. Why is poser so obtuse?"

The original design was flawed from the outside - there is no multi-select. It is now too difficult to add it. The whole premise of the UI is built around:

Current Figure (there can be only one)

Current Actor (there can be only one)

Current Material (there can be only one)

Slavish devotion to backward compatibility (mostly for Python scripts) and trying not to freak users out has left us, after 10 iterations, well - with this.

I'd like to see SM start over with a new line that has a new UI paradigm - Poser Pro was too tame.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 8:47 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a Python script out there that will let you parent everything all in one go.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 9:18 PM

Couldn't you create a primitive box and parent everything to it with the hierarchy editor, then rotate the box??

Comitted to excellence through art.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 10:25 PM

a sript can not just parent everything. It has to check if something is already parented, and use only the parents. There are some scripts that will do figures and props.

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 11:34 PM · edited Wed, 19 December 2012 at 11:36 PM

Quote - I know I can parent everything to the ground (and then rotate the ground) but there are sooo many objects.

Perhaps you are looking at the problem the wrong way? You say, quote:

But  I just realized that I was looking at it wrong, and i made it sideways, and now every time I use a standard pose, the characters are facing the wall. :(

You have too many props, but do you have too many figures. Instead of turning the whole set round by n degrees, what about if you rotate the Body actor of each figure by n degrees?

A properly made pose will not rotate or translate the Body actor. So if you only use properly made poses, everything should be sweet. Unfortunately not all poses are properly made, but you can overcome that problem too by locking all the Body actors after rotating them by n degrees.

Of course this solution assumes that you have a lot of props in the scene, but not many human figures. If there are a lot of figures in the scene, this solution is not as good, though it may still help a bit.

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 12:24 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_489720.png

Here is an example of what I was talking about. The camera position is the same in both images. In the top image the poses were applied to the figures whilst their Body actors were at the default zero rotation. In the bottom image the only difference is that both Body actors were yRotated by 90°, before the same poses were applied. Alternatively  you can do the Body rotation after the pose is applied.

z ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 6:09 AM

I've been rotating the characters. :(

But many poses are not properly made, and for poses made for 2 or more characters you can't do that.

Looks like I just have a whole lot of clicking and dragging to do in the Hierachy editor :(

thanks guys

mysticeagle ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 10:40 AM

file_489735.jpg

just so you can see how easy it is, here is the dolly camera simply dial spun to 90 deg

I loaded m4 in the default position in pic1 and rotated the dolly cam 90 deg, then to simulate your situation i just rotated m4 through 90 deg in the second shot, I still think the camera rotation is your simplest get out.

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

mysticeagle ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 10:40 AM · edited Thu, 20 December 2012 at 10:48 AM

file_489736.jpg

second image

yes i know you have the lighting set, but imo i thought it might be easier to adjust the lighting to suit the mishap than the whole scene to rectify it, by the scene being lit from the right for example rather than from above you will replicate overhead lighting in any event so the shadows should appear ok, i would have thought , but i may be completely wrong as usual

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

z ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 11:34 AM · edited Thu, 20 December 2012 at 11:35 AM

Well thank you mystic,  but as I said the scene is rotated 90 degrees on the Y axis; Lesbentley's illustrations are more accurate.

(If this was the problem, I could just rotate the images in post)

and BTW: UPDATE:

I tried; I created a cube and parented everything to it! and then rotated the cube and some stuff MOVED.Changed  Y translation.  (I hate  it when you re-parent things and they move wierd.)

So I hit undo 2 or 3 times and Poser crashed!

(maybe it was already in an unstable state when stuff moved wierd.) 

Guess I'll try again...

~~SIGH~~

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 1:19 PM

Quote - But many poses are not properly made, and for poses made for 2 or more characters you can't do that.

Well I apologise for what I said, as it's not strictly true. I was too lazy to explain my point properly. With a static pose fore a single figure it is usually bad practice to include transforms for the BODY actor. The statement I made:

"A properly made pose will not rotate or translate the Body actor."

Is is too blunt, and does tell the whole story. With poses made for two or more characters where their relative positions need to be set in the pose, including BODY translation in such a case is not a such a big sin.  Same with animations, often the BODY translations must be included to get the desired results. Never the less, with the benefit of hindsight, it looks like it would have been better if the relative positions in the couples or group poses had been achieved via hip transforms, rather than BODY transforms.

The real point was that, if a pose does not contain BODY transforms, and any x or z hip translations are not to large, you can use the BODY transforms to position the figure anywhere in the scene, in any orientation, at any altitude, and applying the pose will not significantly change the location of the figure within the scene.

Hindsight is a great thing. I wish I could suggest another solution for you, but all the things I can think of have already been mentioned.

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 1:48 PM

I do not have the current DAZ Studio loaded, but I wonder if you could open the scene in DAZ Studio, rotate the scene and then back to Poser? Just a guess.

z ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 3:18 PM

Quote -
The real point was that, if a pose does not contain BODY transforms, and any x or z hip translations are not to large, you can use the BODY transforms to position the figure anywhere in the scene, in any orientation, at any altitude, and applying the pose will not significantly change the location of the figure within the scene.

That's two big IFs

And like I said, that's what I what was doing. But I got tired of having to rotate the characters.

Actually making it all one big OBJ prop may not be a bad idea, just not ALL of it, I'd leave a managable number of "loose"(animatable)  props...

hmmm...

FreeBass ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 4:21 PM · edited Thu, 20 December 2012 at 4:34 PM

What I would do...

Y rot & X/Z trans any single characters into position.

For the multi-character poses, I would choose one as a "leader" then parent the other(s) to it & Y rot - X/Z trans the leader into position as neccesary. 

Repeat last step as required for multiple figure groups (if applicable)

Scream profanities 'cuz Poser crashes @ render time & I fergot to save my scene.

Hope this helps, even if just a little, & good luck

(edited to remove unneccesary steps)

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

z ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 4:44 PM

oddly enough, I thought of that, and figured it might work once or twice, and not work more often. (what w/ body translations and IK and all)

.. and then I though  why can't i just rotate the #&*%ing scene?!

FreeBass ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2012 at 4:53 PM

Kill IK

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

pew pew pew... pew pew... FWOOSH!!!

WARNING!

Anthanasius ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2012 at 10:45 AM

Parenting is the better way, sure it's a lot of work, but with the hierarchy editor you just have to drag and drop.

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

FreeBass ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2012 at 1:13 PM

On a side note, this should be a good example of developing good habits/ workflow. If yr gonna constuct a large scene, parent everything as you add it in a logical fashion.

I wouldn't parent everything to the floor... IMO thas almost as bad as not parenting. Rather, I would (for example) parent a plate to a table, food to the plate, & the table itself to the floor. Then if ya gotta move the table 6" to the left, everything on it will move accordingly. Likewise, if ya gotta move yr dinner plate to make room fer pie, yr leftovers will move with the plate, but the table & other place settings will remain in place.

Lookin' forward to seein' yr scene  :)

WARNING!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.