Sun, Oct 6, 10:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Cloth Room, fabric a mess

Lully ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 8:57 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:29 AM

file_496890.jpg

Hi All

I made a dress in Marvellous Designer 3 and imported it to poser (pp14)

and took it to the cloth room and run a sim on it, however whatever I do

comes out a mess at the front

I have tried the following

• all 3 boxes checked in additional cloth collision options in the sim settings
  • all 3 boxes unchecked in the above area
  • variations of checked and unchecked boxes in the above area
  • Selecting the area for a soft deco group
  • Checked the garmet itself on the 'collide against' window

Each time I am clearing the sim

Although I use the room I am not that great at it and just 'make doo' with basic settings

I need help   :(

Tools:- Win10, Dell XPS8900, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer 11, Hex 2, PSP8. PSP 2019 Ultimate, DAZ Studio, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Filterforge 11, flowscape,  Classic UVMapper, and several headache tablets. 

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 10:04 AM

If that is a ruched bust area, I'd make the whole area constrained.  You can make all those polys (or verts) a group in a modeler, or make them a separate material zone, and the cloth room will let you add them to the constrained group by adding your poly group or material zone.

With those folds at the start, you may need to reduce the collision depth to 0.25 or 0.125

You might also try ticking the cloth material's normals forward box.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Lully ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 12:08 PM

file_496896.jpg

Thanks for the tips, i tried them but failed :(

I also think that maybe with MD the folds were such that they intersected so took the morphing smooth brush to the front and softened it, it worked abit but still pokethroughs from the fabric underneath, the only issue with that is i have lost a heck of a lot of folds, maybe i need to redo the item in md, the front is a big dart (see image) but sectioned off and sewn together on opposites so it crosses over, maybe poser cannot cope with that sort of structure, lol. anyway I will go back to it next week, i need to take a break from it and do something else before i go mad!

Cheers

:)

Tools:- Win10, Dell XPS8900, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer 11, Hex 2, PSP8. PSP 2019 Ultimate, DAZ Studio, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Filterforge 11, flowscape,  Classic UVMapper, and several headache tablets. 

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 8:11 PM

If the MD output has self-intersection of the cloth, it's certain to cause problems in a Poser dynamic sim.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 9:40 PM

I would use cloth self-collision to prevent the layers flattening and make the area a soft-decorated group.

you might make the dress in two groups, conform the bust area, and make the bottom of the dress a dynamic cloth.

Lully ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2013 at 2:14 AM · edited Sun, 04 August 2013 at 2:18 AM

Thanks Markschum  I tried the first suggestion, it didnt work, the second is over my head, I have no idea how to do a hybrid and still learning the MD part so that is not for learning at the present moment, :(

I think you are right seachnasaigh, I believe that is probably the issue, its very tricky to see what intersects with what as its just a tangle of tri's, think i will scrap that one and go onto the next, if i have time at the end of the trial period of MD then I will mess around with it again to see if i can take it further.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2013 at 2:15 AM

If the folds are intersecting at the start of the sim, you will never get a good result from the cloth room.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2013 at 1:15 PM
Forum Coordinator

I think the cloth room did a good job considering what you asked it to do.

Solution: In MD try to 'sew' a smooth support patch on the inside and let that take care of the 'structural behavior' of the area during the simulation in the cloth room. The decorative front part would be a 'soft decoration' in the cloth room. Define as different materials in MD to facilitate grouping.

Also in real clothing using a back patch this is not an uncommon solution to maintain complex folds while the cloth is under stress. Sew folds to the patch as necessary. The patch can be made invisible.  

Lully ( ) posted Mon, 05 August 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks FVerbaas, I messed around with the patch support then redid the whole front and ended up with something completely different which I liked better, lol.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2013 at 12:29 PM
Forum Coordinator

Was my pleasure.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2013 at 3:13 PM

Just a quick note to say that a hybrid conforming/dynamic piece with only one conforming part (hip, chest, etc.) and a parented prop with a constrained part are pretty much alike except the constrained part will automatically morph with the figure.  Unless you're really looking for the particular bending conforming does, it's not  necessary.

Pandarr ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2013 at 3:35 PM

Is there a reason to do the cloth sim in Poser instead of MD3?  Normally I do the sim in MD then export into Poser already fitted to my pose.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.