Tue, Oct 1, 5:07 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Consarn it! Texturing is hard!

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 12:19 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2013 at 12:21 PM

Part 1

Part 2

This one tutorial made UV mapping in Wings 3D VERY clear to me ;). And he's a member of Rendo so that makes it even better. Best of all, he's uv mapping a clothing item :D

This is an older version of Wings but it still holds true other than a few minor differences that don't matter for uv mapping.

Laurie

Touchwood ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 1:12 AM

EClark: 

To generate a UV Test Grid, Create a new image and at the bottom there is a box labeled 'generated type' which will give you the option of blank (default) UV Grid or Colour Grid.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 4:55 AM

I did that. It didn't work.

Gator762 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quote - There's also a UVMapper program that's free you can use to map texture maps from .OBJ files.  Get the Pro version (it's free, too) because you can make colored maps that, for me, make it easier to tell the zones apart.

The Pro version is only for Windows but the Classic version is also available for MAC.

Does it let you export?  I downloaded the pro version from that page, but it indicates that it must be registered to export.  :(

pigfish9 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 9:08 AM

It lets you save the template or texture map while unregistered. I don't think it lets you save the remapping changes without registering.

Under file is "Save Template" or keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T  You can make different templates for an object if they overlap (like for a character).  Use the select tab to select the groups you want on your template then use Select Inverse to select everything you don't want and hit your delete key.  It won't change your obj file, just allow you to create the template for those parts.

I just woke up so I'm not sure how lucid that explanation is.  Let me know if you need step-by-step.  Does anyone know if Steve Cox frequents the message boards here (and what his user name is)? 

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 10:44 AM

Steve Cox is a REALLY hard man to get hold of. LOL. I've seen him perhaps a total of twice in 5 years. He doesn't really answer emails either.

Laurie

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 11:01 AM

You could try posting in the UV Mapper forum. Maybe you can reach him there.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 4:26 PM

Been there, done that. More than once. LOL

Laurie

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 6:03 PM

file_498312.jpg

Hey, I think I did it! This was the mesh for Rex's Mertail, but I managed to get it to unwrap and everything in Blender. For the heck of it I still ran it through UVMapper, but that just produced the same map Blender did. As far as I can tell, there's no distortion at all. There does seem to be a slightly imperfect seam along the back of the tailfin but I can easily live with that!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 6:10 PM

file_498313.jpg

Here's the reverse side. You can see the seam down the middle. Not to bad until you get to the tailfin.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 8:21 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2013 at 8:23 PM

Ya dont want the seam down the back...you'll want them down the sides. UV mapping is about how to cut the mesh to get the least amount of distortion with the fewest seams. I know cutting it down the sides is two seams instead of one, but it's the flattest. LOL.

Like I said before...it's an art and will come in time ;).

Laurie

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2013 at 8:46 PM

file_498316.jpg

Here's the thing though, and maybe it's just me, but I looking for a seam that I can hide, or at least one that's not so noticeable. To me, that means a back seam because people, or at least me, don't render  figures from the back that often, but they do from the front and sides.

I went back into Blender and tried to clean up the seam a bit.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 1:00 AM

Well, I'm an old texturer, and it's easy for me to match seams, so maybe that plays into it ;)

Laurie

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 1:14 AM

using projection paint can solve the seam issues if you learn how to use it correctly

create a master uv map and save it as master

then unwrap from view in front, left, rear, and right

from the views you can use texture projection painter topaint the image onto the main map without visible seams

i remember the tut from cgcookie from a ways back

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 2:48 AM

Got a link?

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 3:03 AM

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2009/06/18/texturing-with-projection-painting/

thats the one i remembered but its for older versions

the basics still are the same just different tool locations

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 3:41 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out!

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 3:43 AM

There is a newer one. Just wade thru the tutorials. LOL There's some gems in there anyway ;).

Laurie

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 6:46 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2013 at 6:46 AM

I found this video on cloning to be the most helpful on the subject I've come across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ngVoGIj1Q

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 10:43 PM

That is rather awesome. I wonder if you can use clone painting to do textures for Roxie?

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 11:01 PM

I'm sure you could.

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 11:44 PM

projection and clone painting is the same idea except that in true projection painting ypou use UVmaps to make a single map and clone just uses a single map that you use a brush to paint on what is wanted

check the blender forum here because there is more links to the newer tuts about it and a few peoples tips as well

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2013 at 12:53 AM

In clone you make two UV maps, and use projection UV mapping.  And that tutorial is from Jan 2013.  There's more recent texture painting tools, but I haven't seen any that change the basics of the cloning technique. 

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2013 at 11:51 PM

file_498395.png

Modeled and UV mapped in Blender. This is the finished product imported and rendered in Poser.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 6:47 AM
Site Admin

Those are pretty.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2013 at 11:22 AM

Thanks. This one was pretty straightforward thanks to the excellent advice about texturing Blender people here gave me. I just used a reference photo to model the wings, then used the same photo to texture it. Perfect fit.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.