Sat, Aug 3, 4:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 3:43 am)

Subject: Is hobby 3D a dyng art?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 5:12 AM

file_502596.jpg

When that screen snip was taken, I was rendering a 360' environment panorama, broken up into four 90' still shots at 4096x4096.  They'll be used to texture a backdrop wall/skydome for a new Poser enviro playset.   Poser test shot attached of the enviro, though with only one instance of each type of tree. 

The Poser Pro render test will be an animation with lots of special effects.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 5:20 AM

file_502597.jpg

For those wondering "*Where would you put that many computers?!?*", only the workstations *Cameron*, *Galadriel*, et al, are full chassis desktops.  The render slaves are rack-mount blades, and they are very space efficient.  Also cost effective, since they have only the components which they need (processors & RAM).  Just a minimal onboard video chip to allow use of a modest monitor, no video card, no sound card, no optical drive.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 5:45 AM

Damn. I want a setup like that. With multiple large monitors tho.

~Shane

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 7:48 AM

file_502598.jpg

Well, you can't run multiple/HD monitors from the blades;  they have only an onboard chip to allow for a modest monitor.  But you don't need it, either.  Think of server blades as rocket booster packs for your workstation.  You work at the workstation -which *can* have multiple hi-res monitors- and the server blades just increase your workstation's power.  I only access the blades' (shared) monitor/keyboard/mouse in order to start them up.

I agree that big dual monitors are great for workstations.  You can see Cameron and Galadriel in this (blurry - sorry) shot attached.  Each has two dual-link DVI-D monitors.  That's Eir & Kara sitting beneath Galadriel.

Poser 12, in feet.  

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 7:58 AM

Oh, boy ! ! !

You can melt the North Pole with that setup; LOL.

NICE ! Me like.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 8:02 AM

Yeah, I read that after, lol. 

~Shane

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 8:03 AM

I hate you SOOO much right now! I'm so jealous!

jjroland ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 8:52 AM

I've been 'trying' to come back.  I attempted a discussion on this recently, about the community that I once loved.  But case in point, one reason I walked was all the threads getting deleted.  And that discussion is gone now too.  So that reason to stay gone is still strong.

I've also tried asking a couple questions lately.  It's really touch and go whether or not you get any answers so you have to be desperate to decide to try.  Sometimes I'm feeling that there is competition for sales among those who know how to do things and they don't want to train their competition.  Makes sense I suppose.  But still kinda sucks.

However, I'm hear today scrolling through the front page, to see if there's anything worth participating in.  I am trying, even though my attempts might be thwarted.

I have a group of people that I've personally gotten involved in 3d as a hobby.  I've not pointed them to this forum and unless it gets active again I probably won't.  No point.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 8:59 AM · edited Mon, 10 March 2014 at 9:00 AM

@ JJRoland, You are soo right.

As long as users make free stuff, and give it all away, I see them answering questions.

Once they become a vendor? ? ? They shut up and protect their knowledge.

Or attack the competition, or attack the vendors that build for other figures.

Suddenly, "Theirs, and only theirs", is the best and the shouting starts.

And forum "productivity" or amusement goes downhill FAST and FASTER.

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 9:06 AM

I sell stuff and I still answer question if I know the answer. Problem is a lot of questions asked these days are so technical I wouldn't know how to answer them at all. Secondly, I'm more working with Vue these days, so I'm a bit more active there, but if I know answers that are asked about Vue, I do give them.

But yes, most vendors aren't active anywhere at all and sure don't want to share their knowledge.... at least not in the Poser forums. I've found that differently with Vue, a lot of vendors are willing to help and share knowledge there, much better if you've qot questions. But.... as with Poser forums these days, most of the active Vue'ers are not here either.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 9:59 AM

I sell stuff and I still answer question if I know the answer. Same here. Way I figure it one day you help someone, another day they might help you. OK sure some days you don't get a sensible answer, but when that 'knowledge exchange' works it works well here.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 10:21 AM · edited Mon, 10 March 2014 at 10:21 AM

I will answer anything about Dawn and Daz-Poser work flows to the best of my ability but there is no interest so. For instance I gave a very (IMO) valuable tip earlier in this thread but no one thanked me and no one even cared to comment. So I leave you in your blockhouse.

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 11:08 AM

So. No GPU accelerated rendeing for you seachnasaigh. At least not on the farm.
What kind of processors are you running in those?

Just curious. I've been thinking about putting together a cluster of my own.

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 11:10 AM

Quote -I've also tried asking a couple questions lately.  It's really touch and go whether or not you get any answers so you have to be desperate to decide to try.

I try to answer questions when I know the answer. I rarely volunteer answers to certain areas like scripting or the material room, cause that's definitely not my area. I'm still learning all the various nodes setups, slowly and my knowledge of python is more limited than it currently should be.

Mostly my focus is modeling and topology/mesh design and rigging, but it seems whenever that subject comes up it becomes an argument. 

~Shane

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 11:34 AM

seachnasaigh : I see all those work stations & think
,Studio with a crew but there's not enough work space for a crew
& only one chair .Your going to build a studio with a crew ?

All that hardware is for what all softwares ?

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 11:55 AM

Quote - seachnasaigh : I see all those work stations & think
,Studio with a crew but there's not enough work space for a crew
& only one chair .Your going to build a studio with a crew ?

All that hardware is for what all softwares ?

That's what I'm wondering as well. Full length feature film animation? Or perhaps megasize still images? I went to the gallery out of curiousity, but only older images there and sure none that needs any of this at all.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

jjroland ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 12:07 PM

Oh there are for sure some people who still do answer.  Heck I've had people, Vilters for example, take the time to write out full tutorials for me.  My signature references people who have helped me immensely.  Also of course there is BB and PhilC both whom sell and help in huge ways.  JoePublic, Cage, although I don't know if they sell or not, both have been willing to answer questions for me.  

It's very possible that those willing to answer just aren't around much anymore.  An example:  I recently posed a thread about how to create 'REM' that actually remove.  I did get a response.  But it didn't explain how to do it.  Although I know for a fact that this is something that MANY know how to do.  Wound up having to purchase 2 utilities from the MP just to create the darn injections/removes.  Of course I opened them up after the utility did its work and have an understanding now.  I paid $32 for that answer lol.  They used to be mostly free. 

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 12:14 PM · edited Mon, 10 March 2014 at 12:23 PM

Joe

Quote - What kind of processors are you running in those?

The blades are dual processor motherboards;  the processors are HyperThreaded hex-core Xeons (X5650).  The HP slave units have dual quad-core Xeon processors, but they're not HyperThreaded (but they were cheap!).  The core i# series cannot run in parallel;  if you want dual processors, it's going to be Xeons.  If you want to run Win7, then stay away from the four-CPU and eight-CPU servers;  desktop Windows OSes will only acknowledge two processors.

This is cost effective if you buy used server blades;  I got these from DeepDiscountServers on ebay.  The surplus HPs were bought from Newegg in their "refurbished" listings.  Oh, and a Win7Pro 64bit OEM full new install license (has the holo-decal) is $60 US at SoftwarePlusTech.  Of course, if you PiXiE boot, that's not needed.

RorrKonn

Quote - seachnasaigh : I see all those work stations & think, Studio with a crew but there's not enough work space for a crew & only one chair .Your going to build a studio with a crew ?

Nope, just a lone mad scientist in his lair. :P     Oh, and maybe a pixie.  Pixies don't need much space, though.  ^^

RorrKonn

Quote - All that hardware is for what all softwares ?

Rendering in Poser Pro and Vue.  Modeling in Silo and modo.  Vue's licensing limits how many "rendercows" are engaged at any one time.  Galadriel's Vue 11.5 license allows five cows;  Cameron's Vue 2014 license allows ten cows.  But with Poser Pro, I can throw everything jacked into the router at the problem, over 200 cores.

Poser 12, in feet.  

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 12:14 PM · edited Mon, 10 March 2014 at 12:22 PM

Quote -It's very possible that those willing to answer just aren't around much anymore.  An example:  I recently posed a thread about how to create 'REM' that actually remove.  I did get a response.  But it didn't explain how to do it.  Although I know for a fact that this is something that MANY know how to do.  Wound up having to purchase 2 utilities from the MP just to create the darn injections/removes.  Of course I opened them up after the utility did its work and have an understanding now.  I paid $32 for that answer lol.  They used to be mostly free. 

Are you familiar with nerd3d.com? he has a lot of useful info there, including how to create inj/rem files. 

http://nerd3d.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=13

Some of the info there I think is a bit outdated from what I remember, but most is still very valid.

~Shane

jjroland ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:24 PM

Quote - Are you familiar with nerd3d.com? he has a lot of useful info there, including how to create inj/rem files. 

http://nerd3d.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=13

Some of the info there I think is a bit outdated from what I remember, but most is still very valid.

~Shane

I was not, or at least not that I can recall.  Thank you.

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:24 PM · edited Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:25 PM

seachnasaigh

Quote - Joe

Quote - What kind of processors are you running in those?

The blades are dual processor motherboards;  the processors are HyperThreaded hex-core Xeons (X5650).

Thanks for the info.
I'll be using mine mostly with Linux and for Blender. I'm hoping to add some GPU power to it too. But with the software you're using, your system is pretty cool.

All hail mad scientists. ;-)

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

aldebaran40 ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 7:35 PM

Quote -   

sorry , ¿which button you use to put a satellite in orbit?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 8:13 PM

Quote - > Quote -   

sorry , ¿which button you use to put a satellite in orbit?

LMAO

Photopium ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 8:14 PM

It's right next to the "Make  Art" button

Suucat ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 1:19 AM

Quote -   

Keep adding stuff and that thing is going to decide your fate in a microsecond...

Who finds a friend finds a treasure!

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 5:08 AM

Keep adding stuff and that thing is going to decide your fate in a microsecond... It probably already has - look at the world domination map on the back wall :) seriously though thats an impressive rig!

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

perilous7 ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 6:53 AM

i cant comment on how many users are on now etc as im just not here enough to notice these things

i can tell you my take on things though, id love to make more content to sell, im busy at work (sometimes haha :-) ) i have a family too,and i like to kick ass as a knight in re enactment shows, i try to learn as much as i can about the software im using, i got so many projects in my mind that i need to do,talk about juggling act ;-)

There is the age old subject about content,why cant we have say,a monthly vote for vendors, a wish list say, then any vendor with half a brain would look at the vote and would be satisfying the users for getting content that they want,the vendors get some cash, everyones happy- also it might drive quality up as vendors may make similar versions of a particular subject, the only slight negative is that there will be a few similar products about but then how many bras/bikinis have we got for v4? :-)

ive never really unerstood people getting wound up on forums, i agree with rorrkonn,you soon know if someone s being an assh*** and most of the time they would never admit they are wrong so arguing is pointless. if moderators are doing their job there shouldnt be much abuse going on, so its all good :-) we are all here to either enjoy art or sell some or both :-)

A cleaved head no longer plots.

http://www.perilous7.moonfruit.com

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 7:25 AM

I'm hearing two main arguments about posting in the forums and not surprisingly, they're basically flip sides of the same coin. On one hand you have people who come in say mean or preposterous things, and when they get called on it, they get mad at all the hostility. Then there's the flip side, who get upset at the first group, declare the forum hostile and storm off.

I'm not that sensitive. You can disagree with me all you want, just make me understand WHY you disagree.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 7:53 AM

Quote - I'm hearing two main arguments about posting in the forums and not surprisingly, they're basically flip sides of the same coin. On one hand you have people who come in say mean or preposterous things, and when they get called on it, they get mad at all the hostility. Then there's the flip side, who get upset at the first group, declare the forum hostile and storm off.

I'm not that sensitive. You can disagree with me all you want, just make me understand WHY you disagree.

It is a real shame when anyone has to storm off and I think we all have some particular issues that manage to 'push our buttons'.  I personally don't like the type of comment along the lines SM should do it my way or they are doomed.  I do however accept some people to feel strongly about Poser and, providing the veiws appear genuine I have no issue.  There are others that only really post here just to have a go at SM and Poser or love to repeat the same old theories that are heavily biased and have been said so many times before in thread and after thread.  Those that love to knock Poser but won't have a word said about their favorite software. 

I admit some of the latter did used to wind me up and I could have stormed off but it is amazing how sticking 'ignore' on a couple of people can protect you from those who clearly have their own agenda

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 8:02 AM

I don't know how doomed Poser is. Even with Studio being a free app (for now), Poser still seems to be selling quite well. Apparently even the people who have switched from Poser to DAZ don't necessarily like having to use Studio and would probably switch back if there were a rival "genesis " like figure available for Poser.

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 8:28 AM

When backing off, and looking at it from a distance.

The Gene technology is outstanding and offers some real improvements in DS.

However, the DSON thing is a Poser nightmare only its mother can love.

• It is utterly resourses hungry and slows Poser down on its knees. (If you get the thing working at all.)
  • And you still get only half of the technology to work.

Conclusion / Result?
If you wanna keep your hair?
Gene is DS only.

Or use some hacks like JoePublic does, and live with a 50% result.

I agree with EClark that Poser needs far better figures that come with tons of content at release time.

I also agree that Poser should become more end user friendly and lots of things should/could be automated.

I also agree that the old legacy content is obsolete and should either be repaired, upgraded or dropped completely.

Gene/V5/V6, in its current form with DSON is not an option for Poser.

Dawn, while a good effort, was clearly build for DS and then converted to work (and let us leave it at that) in Poser.

Final.

Neither Gene/V5/V6 nor Dawn are a valid alternatives for V4 in Poser.

Rex and Roxie, while the best SM meshes so far, lack their succes because they where not ready at release time, and came with close to no end user usable content at all.

Is Poser a good App? Certainly and very productive with V4.

But?
So is the Gene/V5/V6 -  DS combination.

Happy Posering all.
Tony

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 1:57 PM

Quote - I don't know how doomed Poser is. Even with Studio being a free app (for now), Poser still seems to be selling quite well. Apparently even the people who have switched from Poser to DAZ don't necessarily like having to use Studio and would probably switch back if there were a rival "genesis " like figure available for Poser.

I would question the "poser is selling well" part of this.

It really struck me as an act of desperation when they released Poser2014 half ways into 2013. That rings to me as "we need money now and cannot continue development into 2014 without it"

That coupled with the fact that there were really not that many improvements in 2014 from 2012, that "I" personally didnt feel the need to upgrade.

That release made me real worried about poser's future...I would hate to see it go.

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:09 PM

Quote - > Quote - I don't know how doomed Poser is. Even with Studio being a free app (for now), Poser still seems to be selling quite well. Apparently even the people who have switched from Poser to DAZ don't necessarily like having to use Studio and would probably switch back if there were a rival "genesis " like figure available for Poser.

I would question the "poser is selling well" part of this.

It really struck me as an act of desperation when they released Poser2014 half ways into 2013. That rings to me as "we need money now and cannot continue development into 2014 without it"

That coupled with the fact that there were really not that many improvements in 2014 from 2012, that "I" personally didnt feel the need to upgrade.

That release made me real worried about poser's future...I would hate to see it go.

Fitting room, physics, progressive rendering, subdivision are major new improvements in Poser.

Why start another conspiracy theory - haven't we had enough of those?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:13 PM

@Rawnrr:  It is common practice (software, new cars, etc) for the 2014 model to be released well before the new year.

@Aeilkema:  My gallery here is just test/promo renders for my freebies.  Even my Photobucket account is neglected since they stopped clickable thumbnails (enlarging to full size) and dropped SWF.  Networked rendering is most beneficial if you are either making an animation or a wallpaper of a complex scene.  Now I can't display either of those via a paid "premium" Photobucket album.

Poser 12, in feet.  

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:14 PM

No conspiracy, just my personal concerns as a long time poser user.

Apart from progressive rendering none of the other stuff have any meaning to me, and as such "for me" not enough to warrant buying the new version.

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:24 PM

Quote - No conspiracy, just my personal concerns as a long time poser user.

Apart from progressive rendering none of the other stuff have any meaning to me, and as such "for me" not enough to warrant buying the new version.

Since you are DS user I can see that subdivision and the fitting room are not of major interest to you. For most people however they were the improvements these users asked for. So it is well worth the investment if you are a serious poser user

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:26 PM

Quote - No conspiracy, just my personal concerns as a long time poser user.

So you're saying Poser isn't selling well because you didn't want to upgrade?

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:28 PM

Quote - Since you are DS user I can see that subdivision and the fitting room are not of major interest to you. For most people however they were the improvements these users asked for. So it is well worth the investment if you are a serious poser user

Ummm....I have been using poser and making products for it for well over a decade now. What makes you think I am not a poser user?

Contrary to the beliefs of some, people can happily use both softwares. I use whatever software works for what I need for my art.

I also build my poser and d/s products individually in each program.

There is no competition in my book.

Rawn

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:30 PM

Quote - > Quote - No conspiracy, just my personal concerns as a long time poser user.

So you're saying Poser isn't selling well because you didn't want to upgrade?

No...I said I questioned how well it is selling because of how it was released.

My not feeling the need to upgrade is simply my personal choice, since what they put in the new version was of only a minor improvement to me and my needs.

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:47 PM

Quote - > Quote - Since you are DS user I can see that subdivision and the fitting room are not of major interest to you. For most people however they were the improvements these users asked for. So it is well worth the investment if you are a serious poser user

Ummm....I have been using poser and making products for it for well over a decade now. What makes you think I am not a poser user?

Contrary to the beliefs of some, people can happily use both softwares. I use whatever software works for what I need for my art.

I also build my poser and d/s products individually in each program.

There is no competition in my book.

Rawn

I know you are an old time poser user and you make products for both Poser and DS.

But it seems that you no longer actively use Poser to create real scenery since the improvements in the morph brush alone are worth the investments. Include the improvements in weightmap tools, the ability to copy morphs and joint zones from one figure to the other, render previews as well as bug fixes, UI improvements and you have a much improved Poser version - even if you do not use things like Subdivision, fitting room or physics

If you do use Poser seriously for creating scenes and rendering I do not understand your reasoning.

But of course that is your decision - I just don't understand it

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:53 PM

Don't forget the ray accelerator added to Firefly in Poser Pro 2014 - it speeds rendering noticeably. 😄

Poser 12, in feet.  

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 2:56 PM

morph brush is no use to me...I build my morphs in zbrush.

Since I just make characters (morphs and textures) the other tools dont do much for me.

Like I said....my decision is all based on how "I" use poser, and what "my" needs are.

I still use poser regularly for my art, and I am constantly making poser specific materials in poser. (and I do find it really weird that I have to justify my poser use LOL....after all these years i would hope it is obvios LOL)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:09 PM · edited Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:10 PM

Rawnrr > Quote - ....my decision is all based on how "I" use poser, and what "my" needs are.

As it should be.  Myself, I'm probably going to skip the next Vue release or two, to save money.  I'll still use the Vue licenses I have, but for me the new features simply don't justify the cost.

Poser 12, in feet.  

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:22 PM

Quote - Rawnrr > Quote - ....my decision is all based on how "I" use poser, and what "my" needs are.

As it should be.  Myself, I'm probably going to skip the next Vue release or two, to save money.  I'll still use the Vue licenses I have, but for me the new features simply don't justify the cost.

Same here..... I didn't upgrade my Poser Pro 2012 to 2014, since I wouldn't use any of the new features at all, although the new fitting room is tempting, but that's it.

I upgraded my Vue 10 to 11 just before the 2014 release, so I did get a free update to 2014. Before that I used Vue 6 for a long time. Going from Vue 6 to Vue 10 was WOW, this is AWESOME. Going from Vue 10 to 2014 was less impressive, so I'll skip a version or maybe a few as well. Besides, the main 2014 feature, photometric lights, I'm not even using at all. Vue offers everything I want from it and more then that, so upgrading wouldn't make sense at the moment.

Food for thought.....

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2014 at 3:25 PM

Quote - @Rawnrr:  It is common practice (software, new cars, etc) for the 2014 model to be released well before the new year.

@Aeilkema:  My gallery here is just test/promo renders for my freebies.  Even my Photobucket account is neglected since they stopped clickable thumbnails (enlarging to full size) and dropped SWF.  Networked rendering is most beneficial if you are either making an animation or a wallpaper of a complex scene.  Now I can't display either of those via a paid "premium" Photobucket album.

Thanks, I figured you're doing something big with it. I'm only doing still images, up to 5000 pixs in size, printed up to 17"x24" at the most, so one extra computer for rendering is enough for me. If I would have to go larger then that, I would certainly need a different set up then what I have now.

Food for thought.....

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2014 at 5:36 PM

It's not dead for me; it's still my major leisure activity after walking the dogs.  I still slap myself though when I let my guard down and render vacuous half-naked people standing around doing nothing much, though.  Can't seem to do a 3D render nowadays without needing to take it to Photoshop to improve it with 2D; I guess I'm more relaxed about postwork than I used to be.

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2014 at 5:50 PM

Quote - It's not dead for me; it's still my major leisure activity after walking the dogs.  I still slap myself though when I let my guard down and render vacuous half-naked people standing around doing nothing much, though.  Can't seem to do a 3D render nowadays without needing to take it to Photoshop to improve it with 2D; I guess I'm more relaxed about postwork than I used to be.

Wicked Gallery ,Post away !!! 🆒

pitklad ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2014 at 2:24 PM

My guess is that the poser community changed just like the way this site changed...
At the old times the most advanced users were slowly becoming vendors but still were part of this forum, they participated in any way.
As some of them become recognized and maybe famous in the poser community they created new sites, stores and forums, RDNA is the first example that comes in mind.
Those new places were competitive to Renderosity store and this guided to strict rules about posting commercial stuff from other sites. That was the first time I started to feel less free to talk
A big part of the community looking at the profit possibilities started to turn from poser users to poser vendors and than more new sites with medium quality products started to appear. This made it easy to everyone think that can get money quick, I remember a few years ago I started noticing posts from people with very few posts and activity asking how to make stuff for poser and sell them. Apparently those people didn't came here to make friends or learn how to use poser better and have fun but how to use poser to make money, quick!
That was the time where I started reducing my visits on the poser forums...

My FreeStuff

Osper ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2014 at 4:35 PM · edited Tue, 18 March 2014 at 4:39 PM

Like ssgbryan I tend to "Lurk" on the forums.  I still use Poser8 because I have invested a lot in V3 ( and it works fine ......after the IE11 fiasco) but...........I use Poser for exporting figures into Vue for my final work.  I did invest in Poser10 but am not impressed. 

Judy?  I thought she got married and left! 

All the Figures up to V4 have a use in Vue.  It depends on what I have in mind.  Several other forums on this site seem to have a lull.   I think that when a new figure or version comes along, it does generate more interest and of course more traffic.

But I still regard the new features with interest.  

Hey Pitklad long time no see/hear!

pitklad ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2014 at 5:40 PM · edited Tue, 18 March 2014 at 5:40 PM

Hey Osper  :) nice to see you!

I took a break from poser for a while and this post expresses many on my own wonderings about what have changed while I was off

I see the same motifs reapeating again and again...

However since the title wonders if hobby 3D is a dyng art, I would way that hobby 3D artists now more than ever before are split to hobby content creators (professional wannabe) and buyers-renderers.

However those hobby vendors with tech knowledge at P6 level keep the magor part of products away from using new features of new poser versions. New Poser figures once again not a bright advertisment of all the new features and get treated from SM as plain content.

Maaaaaaaany new figures - so many that none of those gets real attention even those with a whole site backing them up.

And all the victoria lovers for the first time can't use the new version as easy as before in poser

Have I missed anything?

:biggrin:

My FreeStuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.