Mon, Oct 21, 11:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: Is hobby 3D a dyng art?

ssgbryan ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2014 at 11:44 PM

Quote - Hey Osper  :) nice to see you!

I took a break from poser for a while and this post expresses many on my own wonderings about what have changed while I was off

I see the same motifs reapeating again and again...

However since the title wonders if hobby 3D is a dyng art, I would way that hobby 3D artists now more than ever before are split to hobby content creators (professional wannabe) and buyers-renderers.

However those hobby vendors with tech knowledge at P6 level keep the magor part of products away from using new features of new poser versions. New Poser figures once again not a bright advertisment of all the new features and get treated from SM as plain content.

Maaaaaaaany new figures - so many that none of those gets real attention even those with a whole site backing them up.

And all the victoria lovers for the first time can't use the new version as easy as before in poser

Have I missed anything?

:biggrin:

Just a couple of things.......

Once you get genesis working in Poser, you discover real quickly that there isn't actually much in the way of content for her. 

Most of the content for genesis 1 at DAZ doesn't have Poser Companion files, so the Poser user is going to have to do quite a bit of work to get the content working - and most are not going to do it.  I have about 2 more weeks to try to get the shoes I have purchased working in Poser or they will be going back.  I have no idea why vendors wouldn't make Poser CF's, I guess they don't want our money - their loss, not mine.

As for genesis outside of DAZ, same story, only moreso.

I do agree with you about the Vendors.  I have outgrown the Poser 6 feature set.  Fortunately, 2014 makes vendors less important than they used to be.

Shoes are still my main hang-up however - that is the only item that I have had zero success in conversions.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2014 at 5:45 AM

Quote - Once you get genesis working in Poser, you discover real quickly that there isn't actually much in the way of content for her. 

I think that might be one of the issues that, from some veiw points, that there appears there may be a drop off in the interest in 3D art.  There is a distinct lack of content for Genesis and a lot of what is in sale is a V4 item re-worked.  I know that some Genesis vendors state that the Genesis items sell well and they probably do, but some of that may be to do with the lack of competition in the Genesis content field.  Whatever the viewpoint the potential market for content has been split making it less of an attraction for some vendors.

That all leads on to your second point in that the new features in Poser can be used create new, or modify content without buying from a vendor, yet again reducing the potential market.  If that is the case it could well be that the forums are quiet because so many users are developing content that they used to purchase in the past.

I know I spend as much here at Rendo as I ever did, if not more, but these days it is concentrated on scenes, materials and tutorials,  very little is spent on any figure related content.

All of this could lead to a different question than the title of this thread - Are you enjoying your 3D art more in the last year or less?   

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

booksbydavid ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote - All of this could lead to a different question than the title of this thread - Are you enjoying your 3D art more in the last year or less?   

Definitely enjoying it more. Learning more, doing more, creating more. :)

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2014 at 12:43 PM · edited Thu, 20 March 2014 at 12:51 PM

Quote - Once you get genesis working in Poser, you discover real quickly that there isn't actually much in the way of content for her. 

Most of the content for genesis 1 at DAZ doesn't have Poser Companion files, so the Poser user is going to have to do quite a bit of work to get the content working - and most are not going to do it.  I have about 2 more weeks to try to get the shoes I have purchased working in Poser or they will be going back.  I have no idea why vendors wouldn't make Poser CF's, I guess they don't want our money - their loss, not mine.

As for genesis outside of DAZ, same story, only moreso.

For Genesis 1, maybe, however there's been quite a few items popping up in Rendo's store in the last few days for Genesis 2, including a few sets with native format sets and poses from DM, a steady supply of V6 outfits from OOT (including the freebie), the Catfolks and three outfits for Genesis 2 male that have a jacket with movement morphs, which is pretty unheard of for male products. And those same products are sitting in either the 'Featured' or "Hot products" if you haven't noticed. (4 out of the 12 in both featured and Hot products have genesis support)

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2014 at 11:36 PM

Quote - For Genesis 1, maybe, however there's been quite a few items popping up in Rendo's store in the last few days for Genesis 2, including a few sets with native format sets and poses from DM, a steady supply of V6 outfits from OOT (including the freebie), the Catfolks and three outfits for Genesis 2 male that have a jacket with movement morphs, which is pretty unheard of for male products. And those same products are sitting in either the 'Featured' or "Hot products" if you haven't noticed. (4 out of the 12 in both featured and Hot products have genesis support)

Let's review the clothing situation as it stands today.  There are 5 vendors that show up under Male Genesis Clothing, when I run a search on male clothing:

Sickleyield, Oskarrasson, dzheng, kang1hyun, & Razor42

Let's start with Sickleyield since he has been at it the longest.....

SF Wasteland Vagabond G2 - From the ReadMe:

"THIS PRODUCT IS FOR GENESIS 2 Male and Female IN DAZ STUDIO 4.6 ONLY.  IT DOES NOT WORK IN POSER."

SY Slim Jeans G2M- From the ReadMe:

"THIS PRODUCT IS FOR GENESIS 2 Male IN DAZ STUDIO 4.6 ONLY.  IT DOES NOT WORK IN POSER."

SY Sweater Vest G - From the ReadMe:

Usage Tips or Limitations: Does not work in any version of Poser.

See a pattern here?  I thought so.* * As a reminder - this is a Poser forum, not a DS forum.*

Oskarrasson doesn't make any genesis content that works in Poser, according to Oskarrasson.  He certainly could be wrong about this - he also states that his products don't work on a Mac, but I have never had a problem with any of his stuff before.

Dzheng's products do not come with Poser Companion Files nor is there any statement whether or not it will work with the DSON importer.

Kang1hyun - See dzheng.  His basic suit is nice - Looking at it, it is probably the best suit that has come out since then - god knows M4 never got a decent suit.  It has almost as many movement morphs that the M3 Casablanca suit had a decade ago. 

Razor42 has a nice pair of jeans - The swimsuit he made works via the DSON importer, so it is certainly an option.  Hooray!  I have 2 potential clothing items for my genesis male.

I agree that Dariofish's stuff is awesome - I have been real pleased with the genesis aliens I have purchased from him - he is also smart enough to make Poser companion files, so those folks who do try to get genesis up & running in Poser have something to work with.

Re: Female clothing - Yeah OoT does make good clubware - problem is I don't need clothing to go to the club - I'm not a Vargas wannabe - I'm a H.P. Lovecraft/August Derlith/Stephen King wannabe - so my clothing needs are different.

As far as the DSON Importer, it's been a hit-or-miss proposition - so far less than 50% of the genesis products I have purchased or gotten as a freebie have had successful importation into Poser.

Any suggestions for shoes?  So far, not a single one that I purchased over at DAZ works in Poser, and there don't appear to be any for sale here.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 12:28 AM · edited Fri, 21 March 2014 at 12:34 AM

Quote - > Quote - For Genesis 1, maybe, however there's been quite a few items popping up in Rendo's store in the last few days for Genesis 2, including a few sets with native format sets and poses from DM, a steady supply of V6 outfits from OOT (including the freebie), the Catfolks and three outfits for Genesis 2 male that have a jacket with movement morphs, which is pretty unheard of for male products. And those same products are sitting in either the 'Featured' or "Hot products" if you haven't noticed. (4 out of the 12 in both featured and Hot products have genesis support)

Let's review the clothing situation as it stands today.  There are 5 vendors that show up under Male Genesis Clothing, when I run a search on male clothing:

Sickleyield, Oskarrasson, dzheng, kang1hyun, & Razor42

Let's start with Sickleyield since he has been at it the longest.....

SF Wasteland Vagabond G2 - From the ReadMe:

"THIS PRODUCT IS FOR GENESIS 2 Male and Female IN DAZ STUDIO 4.6 ONLY.  IT DOES NOT WORK IN POSER."

SY Slim Jeans G2M- From the ReadMe:

"THIS PRODUCT IS FOR GENESIS 2 Male IN DAZ STUDIO 4.6 ONLY.  IT DOES NOT WORK IN POSER."

SY Sweater Vest G - From the ReadMe:

Usage Tips or Limitations: Does not work in any version of Poser.

See a pattern here?  I thought so.* * As a reminder - this is a Poser forum, not a DS forum.*

Oskarrasson doesn't make any genesis content that works in Poser, according to Oskarrasson.  He certainly could be wrong about this - he also states that his products don't work on a Mac, but I have never had a problem with any of his stuff before.

Dzheng's products do not come with Poser Companion Files nor is there any statement whether or not it will work with the DSON importer.

Kang1hyun - See dzheng.  His basic suit is nice - Looking at it, it is probably the best suit that has come out since then - god knows M4 never got a decent suit.  It has almost as many movement morphs that the M3 Casablanca suit had a decade ago. 

Razor42 has a nice pair of jeans - The swimsuit he made works via the DSON importer, so it is certainly an option.  Hooray!  I have 2 potential clothing items for my genesis male.

I agree that Dariofish's stuff is awesome - I have been real pleased with the genesis aliens I have purchased from him - he is also smart enough to make Poser companion files, so those folks who do try to get genesis up & running in Poser have something to work with.

Re: Female clothing - Yeah OoT does make good clubware - problem is I don't need clothing to go to the club - I'm not a Vargas wannabe - I'm a H.P. Lovecraft/August Derlith/Stephen King wannabe - so my clothing needs are different.

As far as the DSON Importer, it's been a hit-or-miss proposition - so far less than 50% of the genesis products I have purchased or gotten as a freebie have had successful importation into Poser.

Any suggestions for shoes?  So far, not a single one that I purchased over at DAZ works in Poser, and there don't appear to be any for sale here.

Well I think a lot of companion files issue stem from the fact that people had said that it doesn't work well in Poser, particularly those that have not even tried... so it's no surprise that the rendo vendors wouldn't even try to make them compatible. But there are those that have been able to get it working with success, and it's those that need to make sure vendors know they want to be able to use their items in Poser. Although it's quite possible, as with my sales, for their income on Genesis products to increase without providing those files. But the importer can only improve if more people use the product and fill out bug reports as they find issues; if all anyone does is complain, then the vendors will keep providing those products without the Poser compatibility.

EDIT: A new outfit just showed up and it looks like it has the companion files.

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 2:44 AM

If I would be a creating clothing for Genesis, I would for sure add the same disclaimer that my items for not work in Poser. If a users wants to be stubborn enough to use a figure that wasn't designed for Poser and never will be, then that's nice for them, but I don't think a vendor is obligated to make stuff that is really for DS only work in Poser as well.

The problem is that Poser and DS are drifting apart further. Stuff that used to work in both Poser and DS, doesn't work anymore after updates. If I make a new items these days, I do actually have to do double work, to make sure it works in both Poser and DS. If had items work great in the early versions of DS 4, but after the later updates stuff started to come in wrong.

So these days I'm creating for Poser only, but a a user is welcome to try it in both, it will work with some adjustments, but I'm not planning on releasing for both, since it is a headache and I imagine for vendors creating stuff for Genesis the nightmare is far worse.

Instead of keep on struggling with Genesis stuff in Poser, Poser users should simply boycott DAZ completely..... let's see how long it will take DAZ to change position on all of this.

Talking aout a boycott..... there are quite a number of vendors that do not create stuff for DS anymore due to DAZ changing their attitude towards non-DAZ vendors about a year ago. That hurted a lot of business and a good number of vendors dropped DS support after that, so that may be the case or part of it as well.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 5:00 AM

Well, I won't go as far a s a boycott. Just stop using Genesis stuff if it iritates you. I was disappointed to find I couldn't use Genesis in Poser or DS on my computer, but I've been used to being disappointed by DAZ for a while now. They would release usually third party products that didn't run on my Mac. So I've gotten used to it.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 5:21 AM

I am sure it is possible for Genesis vendors to make profits without the companion files and good luck to them.  There is little in the Genesis market at present so it should be easy for the vendors to carve out a piece of the action.  All find and dandy if you are using DS, Poser is a different matter.  Should Poser users really be spending time trying to make a halfbaked after thought work and reporting the bugs so it will get better, assuming of course any of the bug reports are actioned.  It is up to the user to decide but it is a bit of a streach to blame the Poser users for the lack of vendor support for companion files.

As to a boycott of Daz, well I haven't purchased anything from there for almost two years. Not as a boycott as such there is nothing there that I can use that is exciting enough for me to spend my money on.  I have just accepted that Genesis is not a Poser product and moved on.  I am sure the amount I spent there will not impact them one bit, despite the fact I spend far too much each month.  Still whatever they did lose was Rendos gain as PC membership became Prime membership and my wishlist alone could keep me going for months.

Anyway moving back to the thread title, No I don't think 3D is a dying art it is just people are doing different things than they did a few years ago, some enforced by the market maybe, but then that is progress.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 6:51 AM · edited Fri, 21 March 2014 at 6:56 AM

Quote - If I would be a creating clothing for Genesis, I would for sure add the same disclaimer that my items for not work in Poser. If a users wants to be stubborn enough to use a figure that wasn't designed for Poser and never will be, then that's nice for them, but I don't think a vendor is obligated to make stuff that is really for DS only work in Poser as well.

The problem is that Poser and DS are drifting apart further. Stuff that used to work in both Poser and DS, doesn't work anymore after updates. If I make a new items these days, I do actually have to do double work, to make sure it works in both Poser and DS. If had items work great in the early versions of DS 4, but after the later updates stuff started to come in wrong.

So these days I'm creating for Poser only, but a a user is welcome to try it in both, it will work with some adjustments, but I'm not planning on releasing for both, since it is a headache and I imagine for vendors creating stuff for Genesis the nightmare is far worse.

Instead of keep on struggling with Genesis stuff in Poser, Poser users should simply boycott DAZ completely..... let's see how long it will take DAZ to change position on all of this.

Does your boycott include the Gen4 stuff? If it is, you're only hurting your Poser vendors, not the DS ones. The Poser vendors are the ones looking to keep their incomes going, as the new Poser-only figures being provided to them are nowhere as good as the ones they try to replace. That's why you see some try the new figures and go back to supporting the old.

That DS reliance on Poser users actually shifted two years ago, hence vendors can afford not to provide Poser compatibiilty but some Poser vendors are  now  learning that they can't ignore not providing DS support. There's been a few vendors that had provided content made in Poser then did a dual release and found that they could do without the Poser support. DS Vendors that do provide Poser support do it for convenience for those customers, not necessity. My sales haven't been impacted when I don't provide Poser support and those sales have increased greatly... but I create the files because some people would like to use them in Poser so I make sure my products are rigged to work.

Vendors from other sites are hearing that they should expect decreases in income, while the Genesis vendors have been pulling more profit. That's why you're seeing more Genesis items starting to show up.

Quote - Talking aout a boycott..... there are quite a number of vendors that do not create stuff for DS anymore due to DAZ changing their attitude towards non-DAZ vendors about a year ago. That hurted a lot of business and a good number of vendors dropped DS support after that, so that may be the case or part of it as well.

This I still don't understand, so let's be clear.

DAZ is a content company. They wanted to do things with their content that Poser did not have the capabilities to do, and wasn't moving on in years (SSS, weightmapping, subdivision for example) so they built those capabilities in their programs to showcase what that can do with content. They offered it SM and they did not want it, so DAZ has concentrated on its offerings as well as expend money so that at least it can run in Poser with almost the same capabilities in Poser when now they don't have to. Meanwhile Poser hasn't released any figures worth mentioning that will energize content sales with capabilities that their software has and Poser content makers are starting to feel the pinch. Poser only added those capabitlities AFTER DAZ did via 3 service releases and a new version of the software. DAZ is doing what it should to remain competitive and relevant... who should you really upset with for not providing you figure tech? 

Certainly not DAZ.

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 7:42 AM

I boycott DAZ in general and all the Gen4 stuff I do buy, I get at other places. I haven't bought much figure content anyway, I've got so much of it, so I'm buying other content, like nature items.

Well, keep on dreaming about DAZ offering technology to SM and make sure you always remember that DAZ didn't create DSON on their own :)

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:03 AM

Quote - I boycott DAZ in general and all the Gen4 stuff I do buy, I get at other places. I haven't bought much figure content anyway, I've got so much of it, so I'm buying other content, like nature items.

As I said, not buying the Gen4 stuff only hurts the Poser content providers, not DAZ. Genesis is what is driving sales and the PAs including myself have been seeing increased sales, even when not providing the Poser support. So what you're suggesting wouldn't impact them at all.

Quote - Well, keep on dreaming about DAZ offering technology to SM and make sure you always remember that DAZ didn't create DSON on their own :)

At this point I don't think it matters, as I said. The shift has happened, believe it or not. But Poser should really work on their figure platform regardless as their vendors would like to work on new tech too that will energize their market.  

And DAZ did create DSON on its own... it's the native file format of the application that describes content, scenes and for portability; it's not a plugin if you didin't know.

bevans84 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:20 AM

male m3dia- Didn't DAZ provide the "go-to" figure tech for Poser users, pre-Genesis? I know they provided mine.

IMO, Daz and Poser enjoyed a synergistic relationship for years. Genesis nullified the synergy, and both have receded to their respective individual worth, giving the appearance of a dying Poser-Daz deal.

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:22 AM

I know me not buying at DAZ will hurt some poser only vendors, but imo those should leave DAZ anyway and start supporting Poser only figures. Again, some have done that by now and even some big names, I do hope thaty more will follow and DAZ will finally feel the impact of leaving poser users in the cold.

Quote - At this point I don't think it matters, as I said. The shift has happened, believe it or not. But Poser should really work on their figure platform regardless as their vendors would like to work on new tech too that will energize their market. 

Of course the shift has happened and that is perhaps good since it finally got SM moving a bit. The problem is SM.... it is not a company that depends on content, like DAZ does. Neither do they rely on Poser, for them that's just a small part of their market they're involved in. I do think most of us are still surprised that Poser has survived as long as it has with SM.

We all know SM isn't going to work on their figure platform, they never have, for them figures are an afterthought. They do hire modelers for that and unfortunately they always seem to hire either obscure ones or inexperiences ones.... I guess those are within their budget.

If vendors are so keen on working with the new tech they should really start supporting the figures that already use some of the new tech. Nope, they're to busy creating items for DAZ figures and too worried about their income.

Besides, what is stopping DAZ from creating a figure series that works with the newest Poser technology? That would sure win a lot of poser users and vendors back. After all they call themselves the experts in creating figures and they could have created something new for Poser already, if they had any interest in doing so.

Quote - And DAZ did create DSON on its own... it's the native file format of the application that describes content, scenes and for portability; it's not a plugin if you didin't know.

I know it's native, but they still didn't develop it on their own :) As for DSON.... I just can say I'm very happy that I don't use it. Save me a lot of headache and frustration. If that's the best that DAZ can offer me then they can keep it and the rest as well.

Food for thought.....

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:34 AM

There are still Poser-only vendors at DAZ?

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:39 AM · edited Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:41 AM

Please no fighting here, Thank you.

2 Observations.

1. We have 4 groups now.
  • V4/M4 users => the vast majority

• Genesis users => DS only  => The DSON thing in Poser is only for grey hair wannabees.  LOL.

• Dawn users => Not very popular yet, and probably never will.
    They started on the wrong foot; Thinking in "dollars" about a year too soon.
    FIRST make your figure popular and then start thinking about making money.
    They simply forgot the first part.
    HUGE and unforgivable management mistake.

• Poser legacy content users. => A minority, but slightly growing.

1. The vendors

It seems everybody wants to become a vendor these days. Soon we will have more vendors then customers. => Automatically killing the market.
And? I see a lot more vendors becoming more and more radical in defending their choosen figure/aplication.

1. Vendors (again) sorry

As long as 3D stays a hobby, stays fun, stays amusement, everybody with knowledge shares his/her information and helps out beginners in the forums. => Forum activity is HIGH

Once they become a vendor all that changes. They want to pretect their knowledge.
And helping beginners becomes controlled "risk management". I will help a bit, but never release the clue.
=> forum activity DROPS , to ALL Time LOW lately.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:44 AM

If the split has happened, and it has why oh why do we see the Genesis debate relived on the majority of threads in what is a Poser forum.

Genesis vendors are making piles of money, great for them and I do not begrude them a cent, but none of it is my money so I don't really care.  If Poser users want to talk endlessly about why the split happened and whos fault it is then start a Poser-Genesis forum and let the rest of us, who are not interested, carry on without this endless sniping that convinces no one to change sides.

As with others, I support the Poser vendors with a large chunk of my spendable income every month.  Mainly here are Rendo but also the other major sites with the exception of one.  I did used to browse at Daz but I don't even do that now as there was never anything I wanted to buy.  Not out to spite Daz, or any vendor for that matter, just my buying habits have changed. I do not see that changing any time soon, no matter how often I am told that Genesis is the great new tech, the must have, the one everyone is making money out of, the latest and greatest, what I am missing or anything else.  Why, well because I am having fun with what I have and I don't see any renders of Genesis where I say "I wish I could do that" or any content where I say "I wish I could use that".  When I do I will considering changing but only after I have seen what people are doing with it and how.  No end of telling me it is great is going to work.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:46 AM

Quote - Please no fighting here, Thank you.

2 Observations.

1. We have 4 groups now.

• Genesis users => DS only  => The DSON thing in Poser is only for grey hair wannabees.  LOL.

1. The vendors

It seems everybody wants to become a vendor these days. Soon we will have more vendors then customers. => Automatically killing the market.
And? I see a lot more vendors becoming more and more radical in defending their choosen figure/aplication.

1. Vendors (again) sorry

As long as 3D stays a hobby, stays fun, stays amusement, everybody with knowledge shares his/her information and helps out beginners in the forums. => Forum activity is HIGH

Once they become a vendor all that changes. They want to pretect their knowledge.
And helping beginners becomes controlled "risk management". I will help a bit, but never release the clue.

I don't know about that. I've found people, especially vendors, to be extremely helpful. About the only thing I can't or haven't completely found out is how to conform a high heel to a Poser figure's foot.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:46 AM

Quote - male m3dia- Didn't DAZ provide the "go-to" figure tech for Poser users, pre-Genesis? I know they provided mine.

IMO, Daz and Poser enjoyed a synergistic relationship for years. Genesis nullified the synergy, and both have receded to their respective individual worth, giving the appearance of a dying Poser-Daz deal.

But realize what I said about DAZ wanting to do things with figures with features Poser didn't have. That's one of the reasons Gen4 was around so long. But even with Gen4 you could see the path towards Genesis, with consolidating their figures into fewer using the EXP techonology, so you could mix a little bit of V4 and G4, M4 and H4, etc. DAZ is a content company, and the market was growing stagnant because nothing was done that improved the end user experience or make it easier for content developer to support more figures or make interesting content. But DAZ did offer the tech to Smith Micro, and they did not take them up on the offer, nullifing the synergy. 

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 8:54 AM

Both companies made errors at the time; (was it 4 years ago? ?)

SM by releasing a new Poser version with no new figures. => HUGE mistake

DAZ by jumping at the oportunity, but abandoning Poser compatibility. => HUGE mistake

The only onces left smiling where V4/M4.
When they think back at that period, they still get drunk of joy.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 9:02 AM

Quote - 1. We have 4 groups now.

You forgot the fifth group..... toon figure users :) There are quite a lot of them, although they do not use a single figure, they do have a single interest.

As for Dawn, I'm not sure if she's popular or not, but I know she has gained a lot more interest then any other non-DAZ standalone figure ever has.

Food for thought.....

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 9:06 AM · edited Fri, 21 March 2014 at 9:13 AM

Quote - Please no fighting here, Thank you.

2 Observations.

1. We have 4 groups now.

This is the group that is not buying the content, hence Poser content makers feeling the pinch. Case in point: Whenver there is a new figure released, who asks "Does it have support for V4? I don't want to lose my investment" so they get the figure but don't buy the content. Vendors don't get the money, and stop supporting it. The figure dies. Everyone goes back to V4.

Quote -

Looking at the gallery, I'm seeing more people trying Genesis in Poser. 

Quote -

Making something free won't make something popular. Making something compelling to use does. If it's free and compelling, then that's a bonus.

Dawn's issue wasn't that, it was it was overhyped then underperformed when vendors got their hands on it. There was no morphs to do anything with the figure which caused a lot of lackluster products to hit the market at the beginning. Then add that people simply didn't buy into it and vendors lost money on their investment in Dawn so they went back to V4 or tried Genesis.

Quote - 3. Vendors (again) sorry

The thing is, how many of those vendors have time to frequent the forum? I certainly don't see many rendo vendors posting. They can't answer things they don't see.  They're busy making products. I do know some vendors don't bother visiting because they see the forumites posting negative comments about vendors like these and it turns them off so they stay away.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 9:20 AM

Quote -
DAZ by jumping at the oportunity, but abandoning Poser compatibility. => HUGE mistake

No, huge risk but something that needed to be done to improve the quality of content the customer gets and the content maker makes.

Quote -

The only onces left smiling where V4/M4.
When they think back at that period, they still get drunk of joy.

But I think the risk has paid off as Genesis sales drive revenue over Gen4 and you see more vendors in this store starting to try it out as the Gen4 market stagnates and you see people start threads or derail current ones about DAZ and Genesis as they have nothing that even comes close in their app of choice.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2014 at 9:45 AM

If the present market in V4 items is stagnation, 'Bring it on', there is still more produced than I can afford in any given month. 

'Protecting my investment' could also mean not paying for a product I have already purchased all over again because it no longer fits the latest fad on the block.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2014 at 1:26 PM

Quote -      Well, you can't run multiple/HD monitors from the blades;  they have only an onboard chip to allow for a modest monitor.  But you don't need it, either.  Think of server blades as rocket booster packs for your workstation.  You work at the workstation -which can have multiple hi-res monitors- and the server blades just increase your workstation's power.  I only access the blades' (shared) monitor/keyboard/mouse in order to start them up.

I agree that big dual monitors are great for workstations.  You can see Cameron and Galadriel in this (blurry - sorry) shot attached.  Each has two dual-link DVI-D monitors.  That's Eir & Kara sitting beneath Galadriel.

holey moleys - thatz awesome.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2014 at 1:55 PM

can't remember if i posted this already - prolly cuz tipping it too much lately but ...

dying?  NO WAY

JUST GETTING STARTED BABY  -  ♥

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.