Mon, Sep 23, 1:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: Basic question about texturing

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 3:03 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:30 AM

Hello to all,

After having read a lot of literature, I still can't decide what's the best solution to solve this problem.

• 2 boxes, same material. How to apply the material in order it has the same scale on both boxes?

In this case, I could of course easily create 2 instances and apply to them the same material only with different UV scaling.

But my objective is to texture a surrounding wall comprised of many parts of different length. Therefore, I'm not keen on creating that many different instances.

Any solution you could recommend?file_65ded5353c5ee48d0b7d48c591b8f430.jp

Thanks,

JJ

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 3:14 PM · edited Thu, 23 April 2015 at 3:15 PM

yes, that would be my guess:  vary u-scale on img map. for each one.  maybe there's some way of automating it if poser can read relative sizes, e.g. u*(x1-x0)/(max length)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 5:43 PM

You could re-map all of the items together, so that they share the same UV scale.  This would be my preferred method.

Or, use a procedural texture, which won't be dependent on UV scale.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 6:48 PM

Thanks for your answers but I'm not sure what you mean: using UV Mapper (or similar)?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 7:58 PM

actually you have a basic question about mapping.

just map every thing to the same ration & scale .

the block on the right ,ya have the map to skinny ,spread it out will fix it.

you just half to practice at it to get good a lot of you tube tutorials alt to help .

and helps if ya say what mapper ya using 

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 8:08 PM · edited Thu, 23 April 2015 at 8:11 PM

Hi RorrKonn,

Not using any mapper, just working ond the advanced section of the material room:

so if I change the scale of one block, it changes the other automatically.

PS: the geometry is created in AutoCAD and 3DS MAX.

Of course, in 3DS, I could attribute a different mat for each part. But there are so many parts (and I reckon 3DS limits the application of different mats to 26), I just wanted to know if there were another simpler way of making this.

PS not sure I'm very clear in my explainations...

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2015 at 11:29 PM

a poser material room mage here might have a poser solution for ya.

poser isn't meant for making stuff. about everything ya see in poser was made in max,c4d,etc etc main 3D app's

would help if ya said what version of poser max cad ya using also.

and did u make the blocks n wall or are you just retexturing someone else meshes ? 

anyways sounds like the 2 separate blocks are one peace boolean or something to gather. 

I don't know nothing about cad.

but all the main 3D app's like max,c4d etc work the same

max will have a way to separate them and a mapper in it .

but the problem in ya .jpg is the uv map.

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2015 at 12:17 AM

Are those Poser primitive boxes scaled to different sizes? If that is the case, you'll have to have separate instances and modify the scale in the material room for each one. I think it would be much easier to model the room in a modelling app and UVmap the whole thing. As Rorrkonn said, any modeller will do. You can either use UVmapper - a stand-alone UVmapping application that is not a modeller and has a free version, or use the UVmapping capabilities in your modeller. Blender, Hexagon, etc.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2015 at 12:47 AM

No, those are primitive 3DSMAX boxes of different sizes, jus made to illustrate my point.

But I made a much more conplex geometry in AutoCAD (then imported in 3DS), and was looking for a way not to make different instances of objects meant to receive the same texture.

But it looks like this scaling problem will force me to get (is i a freebie?) and learn UV Mapper.

Thanks to you all for your useful answers.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2015 at 2:02 AM

just youtube max uv mapping or max texturing.

cubes are the easiest to map and best to start with cubes,primitives.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2015 at 9:14 PM · edited Fri, 24 April 2015 at 9:17 PM

Hi RorrKonn,

3DSMAX UV Mapping (or unwarp UVW as they call it) seems to be the way to do it: I tried it with simple examples and it worked perfectly.

But not for something as complex as I'm trying to make: 3DS doesn't create the UV template I need...

file_85d8ce590ad8981ca2c8286f79f59954.jp

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2015 at 12:23 AM · edited Sat, 25 April 2015 at 12:26 AM

file_38af86134b65d0f10fe33d30dd76442e.jp 

max's uv mapping will map any thing no matter how complicated.
ya just ya got to learn how.

youtube max uv mapping or **max texturing.
**will help ya learn it.

a max forum could help ya more then I could also.
with the exact way max works.

max might work like this,i'm not sure how max works. 

the .jpg was made in 2002.
it would be a nightmare to map.there would be 18 different parts.
each part would have a lot of separated map parts.
it would not be a solid one peace mesh or map.

ya take something complicated and break it apart and map separate parts till it's simple.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2015 at 12:52 PM

OK, found the problem: 3DSMAX doesn't edit geometry created in AutoCAD.

I first have to import the .dwg, save it as a .max file then reopen it before it can be edited.

Thanks for your help!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2015 at 5:14 PM

:)

aRtBee ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 10:43 AM

JimmyJohn,

when you want a single kind of texture on multiple objects, to make them look like one (walls from segments is the typical example) then you should not map them with local, object-relative coordinates like UV at all. You should apply global (or world) coordinates instead. For this purpose, many material nodes (accessible through Advanced interface) offer a Global Coordinates box that in this case should be checked. Images, 3D texture generators, etc work that way exactly for the purposes you stated.

Note however that when an object is global-coordinate mapped, that texture will change when you move that object in the scene. So, in still renders it does not matter but in animations one can get weird effects.

have fun. 

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 5:28 PM · edited Tue, 28 April 2015 at 5:30 PM

Hi

This is always a problem in Poser, i.e. how big is something really.

I wish I could read out the size of the object in an actual dimension, it would be nice if when you drag something bigger it had a readout that gave you a size in Pixels or something..

But my solution is to take the size it originally appears when it's imported, with our changing the scale of one of the sides.

For example the two blocks in your image.

They appear to be the same vertical dimension.

Size your texture to the proportions to the wide box and apply it .

If you are happy with the way it looks, you need to go back to Photoshop and crop the texture to the proportions of the narrower box with out changing the vertical dimension, and save it as another texture.

When you apply the texture to the second box it should look just like the first one.

As long as you re-size then proportionately they will look like the go together.

Of course if you make one a lot bigger then they have different size textures, but the texture will still fit the box and not look distorted as long as the proportions don't change.

I run into this a lot with Wood Floors and things like that.

It's kind of trial and error how big I make the texture, (how many boards wide, not the pixel size) to have the floor come out looking correct so I apply a texture to the floor.

If the board look too wide I go back into Photoshop and enlarge the canvas in one dimension, then copy and past more boards to the end of the texture until they look the right when I apply them.

Maybe there's an easier way but that's how I do it, it really only takes a few minutes to do it.

Mike 

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:11 PM

It's not trial and error if you do what aRtBee said. Use global coordinates.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:15 PM · edited Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:15 PM

By the way - an amazing coincidence. I recently decided that wall textures should be possible with a shader that requires no UV mapping. It may be possible to generalize.

The technique is to determine the surface normal. (Which we have in the N node). Do a cross product with the "Up" vector (Y) to get a local "Right" vector. Then generate a mapping based on the Up and Right vector space in 2D.

I built it in Poser nodes - works great. Planar shaders can be constructed with this technique so that you don't have to UV map any walls.

I'm working on roofs, too.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Zaycrow ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2015 at 6:06 PM

A quick and dirty way is to use Posers Grouping tool to create perspective UV's. I use it a lot on walls when the UV's are strecthed or needs to be resized.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.