Tue, Sep 24, 6:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 6:54 am)

Subject: Two newbie questions -DAZ 4.9-

peregrino05 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2016 at 5:40 AM ยท edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:23 PM

Hi, i recently installed daz and i wonder how i can import image (jpeg, bmp, etc) to scene ? How , and where i can install the figures and props bought here in Renderosity inside DAZ studio?

Thanks

Miscreate ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2016 at 7:21 AM

Hi, Peregrino.

Firstly, regarding using images in DAZ Studio, they are usually used as backgrounds and I'm assuming that that is what you are referring to. There are two ways to do this. The first is to simply load the file as a backdrop. There is an icon on the taskbar that looks like a mountain with a sun overhead that will produce a popup when clicked that will in turn allow you to browse to the location of your image and load it. The disadvantage of this approach is that the image will follow your camera around and appear centred in the viewport regardless of the relative positions of your subjects. It cannot be scaled or moved, which may not always be desirable. The second way is to add a primitive to your scene such as a plane, and add your image to it as a surface in the Surfaces tab. The advantage of this is that you can now scale the image and/or move it around in your scene to your liking. It is an actual scene element and will also relect light and accept shadows if desired.

As for content, much of the content sold here at Renderosity is in Poser format. It should still work fine in DAZ Studio, except that it is packaged within a runtime folder. New users often mistakenly install the runtime folder in the wrong place, by placing it in the existing runtime folder that you'll find in your content library. It should be copied to the folder above that in the folder hierarchy, whereupon you will be asked if you want to merge the runtimes and to which you should answer "yes". Some products, such as those designed for the Genesis figure and newer, will contain DAZ Studio files and folders that are not in the runtime folder hierarchy. These go into your content library folder, too. I recommend that you create a folder somewhere convenient on your fard drive to temporarily store files before moving them to your content library. Since invariably the products come packaged as compressed archives (i.e. "zips"), they'll need to be uncompressed anyway, and I always like to do this first so I can have a look at the internal folder structure and confirm where things go.

donnena ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2016 at 7:50 AM

The majority of the Recent DAZ Studio content sold here follows the DAZ Studio Format and can be unzipped into your Content or My Library folder with out any fuss. It's my understanding that this will still work for 4.9.

;>

Andy!

peregrino05 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2016 at 9:14 AM

thank you both of u!

goofygrape ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2016 at 2:00 PM

Also thank you I'v needed to know this ๐Ÿ˜‚

peregrino05 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2016 at 7:12 PM

Well, i bough a LOT of products here for my daz/genesis and i need install correctly :)

JeffersonAF ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2016 at 11:58 AM

Updated to DS 4.9, everything is working properly here, including old files, I must say that 3Delight and Iray engine are faster to render.

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2016 at 5:27 PM

I just started to learn Daz Studio. I have 4.9. I am a long-time Poser user since Poser 4 up to Poser 11. Everything in Daz Studio is confusing, especially where the MAT files are for a product. In the content library on the RH side both figure and MAT files are mixed with each other. Same for poses. Also, new stuff is buried somewhere I can't find. Like new expressions installed themselves mixed up with other packages of poses. Very frustrating. Is there someway to find products easily? Like the MAT files that go with a certain hair? Thanks

Tirenzi3D ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2016 at 1:04 AM

Most of the times the hair if it is a figure goes to People>genesis(male/female) ( be it 1 2 or 3) there you will find a sub category hair. Click on it, if you look at the lower panel on your left side you'll see the hair double click to load it. If you look at the hair category you'll find on the righ side another sub category called mats, this one could be divided in either iray or 3dlight( depending on the user) choose the one you need and you can then select your mats on the down left panel. Poses would be in the same category except now it is in the pose sub folder.

I included a screenshot for you to follow...

drift.jpg

mrvoll ( ) posted Wed, 24 August 2016 at 10:15 PM

Miscreate posted at 10:08PM Wed, 24 August 2016 - #4250603

As for content, much of the content sold here at Renderosity is in Poser format. It should still work fine in DAZ Studio, except that it is packaged within a runtime folder. New users often mistakenly install the runtime folder in the wrong place, by placing it in the existing runtime folder that you'll find in your content library. It should be copied to the folder above that in the folder hierarchy, whereupon you will be asked if you want to merge the runtimes and to which you should answer "yes". Some products, such as those designed for the Genesis figure and newer, will contain DAZ Studio files and folders that are not in the runtime folder hierarchy. These go into your content library folder, too. I recommend that you create a folder somewhere convenient on your fard drive to temporarily store files before moving them to your content library. Since invariably the products come packaged as compressed archives (i.e. "zips"), they'll need to be uncompressed anyway, and I always like to do this first so I can have a look at the internal folder structure and confirm where things go.

I bought Rose Raven from here at Renderosity today and she does not seem to work in Daz3d 4.9. Even though she doesn't specifically say that she works in Daz3d 4.9, but instead only mentions Poser, I bought her after reading what you wrote here, thinking that all I'd have to do is copy her runtime folder into the library. Daz3d didn't ask me if I wanted to merge the files, it just copied them. There is also a folder in Daz3d 4.9 called "Poser files" and I tried copying them into that folder too. I have restarted Daz3d 4.9 several times and cannot find her anywhere in the program. Am I missing something here with how I'm installing her? It seems pretty straightforward to me, but isn't working.

Thanks, Jon

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 8:08 AM

If you are referring to Rose Raven, the Victoria 4 character, you will require the Victoria 4 base model. Rose Raven is morph package character, and if you do not own V4, this package is useless to you. The reference 'Poser Files' pertains to the DS library capable of reading runtime folder content, thus there is no need recopy any content anywhere if you install into the DS content library. However, I have a suspicion that you may have nested the Rose Raven runtime within another folder, perhaps the DS runtime, and you are unable to read it. Without a screencap of your DS content folder hierarchy, I am just speculating. Also, this particular character will appear under the runtime Pose folder and not anywhere else; it is a morph package.

mrvoll ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 12:30 PM ยท edited Wed, 31 August 2016 at 12:32 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

hborre posted at 11:56AM Thu, 25 August 2016 - #4281046

If you are referring to Rose Raven, the Victoria 4 character, you will require the Victoria 4 base model. Rose Raven is morph package character, and if you do not own V4, this package is useless to you. The reference 'Poser Files' pertains to the DS library capable of reading runtime folder content, thus there is no need recopy any content anywhere if you install into the DS content library. However, I have a suspicion that you may have nested the Rose Raven runtime within another folder, perhaps the DS runtime, and you are unable to read it. Without a screencap of your DS content folder hierarchy, I am just speculating. Also, this particular character will appear under the runtime Pose folder and not anywhere else; it is a morph package.

Thanks for your help :)

I have finally gotten this mostly figured out, and Rose Raven is almost able to load properly. What confused me, probably because I am a "newbee", is that the poser content ends up in a folder called "Pose", not to be confused with the files that pose a character which also end up in a folder called "Pose". I stumbled upon her whilst trying to pose a different character. I never thought to look for her in the poses folder.

I say that she "almost" loads properly because when I load her skin, her eyes turn completely white. Everything else about her seems to load perfectly, except her eyes. I have the deluxe version of Victoria 4.2 ( Elite and muscular and HD and all that good stuff), and what I do is I load a copy of Victoria 4 and when she arrives in the scene, I select her and then click Rose Raven's body, and her body turns into Rose Raven. Then, I click on Rose Raven head and her head turns into Rose Raven. But when I click on her skin and load that, the skin loads, but her eyes ( I guess they are V4's eyes at this point) turn white. Same thing happens if I choose one of Rose Raven's eyes. If I load her make up or nails or eyelashes, the eyes remain visible, it's just when I load her skin or her eyes that this happens. I thought that it must be some layer over the top of Rose's eyes that gets applied somehow, so I tried turning things off in the surfaces tab, but nothing makes any difference. I looked at the files for Rose Raven's eyes and the names for the png and the pz2 files match, so I'm not entirely sure that it is a problem with Rose's files.

I bought the V4 to Genesis 2 converter from Daz3d thinking that it might be an issue with Victoria 4 in Daz3d 4.9, and that I would try applying her to the Genesis 2 character and see if that works, but there are no instructions with that program and although I can put her skin onto the Genesis 2 character, I can't figure out how to apply her morphs. Oh, and when I put her skin on the Genesis 2 character, its eyes also turn white.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

Here are three images of the problem: Rose before eyes are set.pngRose Raven after green eyes are chosen.pngRose Raven after skin is applied.png

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 3:32 PM

It's quite possible that the material settings used are reliant on the Poser Material Room nodes, which DS will not import. If that is so you are probably not getting the intended results for the skin either, but it is at least semi working.

The Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product gives two things - a new UV mapping which allows textures for Victoria 4 to wrap around the model correctly (without it you'd get very odd results) and a clone shape that allows you to load Victoria 4 clothing onto Genesis 2 Female and convert it. The former would allow you to use the Rose raven textures, but wouldn't solve the issue of getting the settings right which is your main problem.

mrvoll ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 8:11 PM

RHaseltine posted at 7:53PM Thu, 25 August 2016 - #4281075

It's quite possible that the material settings used are reliant on the Poser Material Room nodes, which DS will not import. If that is so you are probably not getting the intended results for the skin either, but it is at least semi working.

Thanks for that information about the Poser reliance's. I used the eyes from another V4 character by the same artist and now everything works fine. (The other character comes with clothing too, and that character and its clothing work exactly as described in their promos, although they also say that is meant for Poser only.

The Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product gives two things - a new UV mapping which allows textures for Victoria 4 to wrap around the model correctly (without it you'd get very odd results) and a clone shape that allows you to load Victoria 4 clothing onto Genesis 2 Female and convert it. The former would allow you to use the Rose raven textures, but wouldn't solve the issue of getting the settings right which is your main problem.

Well that's just plain tricky on the part of Daz Studios then, Richard. The description for this product says: "Use the AutoFit clone to access your favorite outfits, the Victoria 4 UV set to use your favorite textures and the Victoria 4 figure shape to see a familiar face". That's 3 things it's supposed to do, not 2. It implies that you can change the "shape" of Genesis 2 so that you can see your favorite character. Looking at the promo photo for the product it clearly shows two V4 morphed characters - Lana and Maya from the V4 Elite package, having been upgraded to Genesis 2 characters. I see now what you are saying about this product, but I feel it was not presented clearly for what it really does.

Daz promo picture for V4 to Gen 2.jpg

tparo ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 2:43 AM

All that package does is give you the base V4 shape, it doesn't give the ability to transfer V4 character morphs onto Genesis 2, you need GenX for that. I think that Lana and Maya only had textures neither had a morph. The image you posted states its Lana texture and V4 shape.

kittykat98 ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 5:25 AM

MrVoll, I use V4 in Daz, and found that applying the Daz 'uber' shader first fixes almost everything. There is also an Iray conversion for V4 series characters that works well. I hate to pound Daz's drum but IRay (they licence it from Nvidia) is brilliant; being fast and easy. It needs better documentation (Daz's Achilles heel) but it's still brilliant.

mrvoll ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 7:10 AM

tparo posted at 7:05AM Fri, 26 August 2016 - #4281117

All that package does is give you the base V4 shape, it doesn't give the ability to transfer V4 character morphs onto Genesis 2, you need GenX for that. I think that Lana and Maya only had textures neither had a morph. The image you posted states its Lana texture and V4 shape.

Thanks for this information. I'm reading through the GenX packages now. There seem to be several add-ons, so I have to read carefully. If I understand this correctly, I should be able to take a morphed V4 character and turn her into a Genesis 3 model, if I buy all the required add-ons, is that correct? I realize that I won't get the skins all the way up to Genesis 3 because I've only found this one that only goes up to Genesis 2, but the clothing can be brought right up to Genesis 3 using auto fit after this program fits it to Genesis 2. Do you know of a way to get the skins onto Genesis 3 ?

Thanks, Jon

mrvoll ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 7:17 AM

kittykat98 posted at 7:11AM Fri, 26 August 2016 - #4281128

MrVoll, I use V4 in Daz, and found that applying the Daz 'uber' shader first fixes almost everything. There is also an Iray conversion for V4 series characters that works well. I hate to pound Daz's drum but IRay (they licence it from Nvidia) is brilliant; being fast and easy. It needs better documentation (Daz's Achilles heel) but it's still brilliant.

I'm not sure what you mean by "applying" the Daz 'uber' shader first. How do you do that? Isn't Uber shader just the lighting? Does it fix the shiny plastic look that the characters and clothing have in Daz? I like the Iray renders, they look good. I have one of the newer GPU's that aren't supported yet in Daz3d because the drivers aren't implemented yet, so a single simple render of one character in Iray takes almost 2 hours because it gets done with the CPU instead. So, I was trying to get by with 3delight instead until the drivers come out for my card somewhere down the road. Do you think that that Iray conversion kit would make the skins look ok?

Thanks, Jon

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 3:10 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the V4 shape.

There are several uber shader items, either for sale or included with DS - they are all the work of omnifreaker. Applying uberSurface, included with DS (or the Iray Uber shader base) before applying the character maps won't work, but applying them after (in the case of uberSurface while holding down the ctrl key for Windows or the cmd key for Mac and selecting Ignore for maps so that the textures aren't removed) will give an updated material set-up that will often look better. However, applying an alternative sahder will not add any new maps beyond the basics read from the Poser materials unless you use the Surfaces pane to do the job yourself - assuming there are extra maps included with the character (normal or SSS strength for example).

mrvoll ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 5:48 PM

RHaseltine posted at 5:42PM Fri, 26 August 2016 - #4281213

There are several uber shader items, either for sale or included with DS - they are all the work of omnifreaker. Applying uberSurface, included with DS (or the Iray Uber shader base) before applying the character maps won't work, but applying them after (in the case of uberSurface while holding down the ctrl key for Windows or the cmd key for Mac and selecting Ignore for maps so that the textures aren't removed) will give an updated material set-up that will often look better. However, applying an alternative sahder will not add any new maps beyond the basics read from the Poser materials unless you use the Surfaces pane to do the job yourself - assuming there are extra maps included with the character (normal or SSS strength for example).

Thanks Richard, I just figured out how to "apply" them to the figure. The first one that comes with Daz3d worked perfectly and got rid of the plastic look.

From what tparo wrote about GenX, and what I've gleaned from looking at the packages, would I be able to take a V4 model that wasn't specifically Victoria 4, but a morph in her own right and turn her after several steps into a Genesis 3 if I bought the basic GenX package plus the add-on to turn her into Genesis 2 and the add-on to turn her from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3? It looks like I can only bring her skins as far as Genesis 2, is that correct, or is there another package that brings the skins all the way up the ladder to Genesis 3?

Thanks, Jon

mrvoll ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 5:53 PM

Oh, just so you know what I mean...

The character I'm talking about is labelled "Victoria 4.2" when I right click on her to select her. But, she has morphs that you apply to the base Victoria 4.2 figure to turn her into a body and face shape that doesn't look like Victoria. I thought that the product I bought would work to move her to Genesis 2, but it doesn't bring the morphs up the ladder. Will GenX 2 do that if I have the needed add-ons?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 7:38 PM

Yes.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2016 at 9:58 AM

The shaping could be moved to Genesis 3 female, the texturing would require the additional set from Cayman Studios (or using something like Blender to bake the maps) - there isn't a simple way to move the maps as there was with the first two genesis generations.

LPR001 ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 12:38 AM

@mrvoll I just added the nudity tag to your Vicky 4 images so we don't go upsetting anyone.

@drifterlee It is just what you are used to and it gets better given time.

- Johnny G

"Try animation to get things moving"

lpr001@renderosity.com

proflooney ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2016 at 2:28 PM

well i have had problems with my libray so for several yrs havent messed with daz now i updated it to 4.9 and due to spolid state drive after deleting everything and starting fresh i installed to the default dir under users/public/documents blah blah blah. since it really ate up a lot of memory I just moved my content lib to my 2 tb drive and set my install manager and daz to point toi that. do I have to do anything else or will it automatically all show up ie to i need to have daz map the fold?

proflooney ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2016 at 11:58 PM

well still having probs I did do a scan the database and it helped some but then checking a lot of content now working but seems like the only ones it wont find is genesis 3 base figures. it tells me cannot find the genesis 3 duf files. however if i right click and i say merge into scene then the genesis 3 figures will open up in the window

same with several other files i have been checking. and all i did was copied everything to the other drive, deleted the one on solid state drive and changed the prog and IM to point to the new location. everything had worked fine until i closed and reopened the prog later in the afternoon

SilverDolphin ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2016 at 2:40 AM

It would be nice if Daz made their Smart Content database universal that way vendors at other shops like here could add the requisite files so we could find everything easy in studio.

PeterBob1 ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2016 at 3:21 AM

I have a Nvidia card Geforce GTX 680 in my MacPro 2008. But with DAZ Studio 4.9, i can't use it because the Render Setting windows don't show my card. Do you know why ?

prixat ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2016 at 4:21 AM ยท edited Tue, 08 November 2016 at 4:22 AM

Hi PeterBob,

I think the required CUDA drivers for a Mac are a separate download from the graphics drivers. Though I don't know if that applies to your particular OS/hardware/GPU!

regards
prixat

PeterBob1 ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2016 at 5:50 AM

Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! it's ok with cudadriver-8.0.46-macos

prixat ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2016 at 6:31 AM

What sort of speeds do you get from the 680?

regards
prixat

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.