Sun, Oct 6, 10:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question for those who know: Shell extrusion and Miki 4....

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 12:12 AM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:17 AM

I am creating a cyborg suit for Miki 4. In the render you can see the left arm - all me. I modeled it. The eye, all me too. There will be legs that I also modeled, and you can't see it, but there is a spinal implant that I modeled. So what's the question you ask?

The prosthetic devices on her face and torso are made from her mesh. They are shell extrusions. So the question is, if I do this, can I distribute this as a freebie? Or does the fact that I used her mesh to create these negate that fact?

stage two complete.png

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 2:57 AM

You guessed it, you can't use them.

Anything derived from a copyrighted mesh, no matter how changed, is still technically part of that mesh. Otherwise, everyone and their dog would be making and selling/giving away bodysuits/masks/cowls/skullcaps etc for every figure ever made by doing essentially the same as you did. In fact, that's pretty much how a bodysuit is made anyhow. In fact, it would be the quickest and simplest way to make almost any kind of clothing.

I know for a fact there are some masks and stuff out there - not made by the figure owners - derived from the original figure mesh but that doesn't mean it's right to do so; it just means they haven't been found out.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 3:09 AM

That's kind of what I figured. I just had to make sure I was right about it.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 5:17 AM

Hello Rokket. Poser comes with 6 meshes that allow this.

The Poser-Pro figures, Low and Medium resolution, male and female, so that are 4 figures.

And the Poser11 Paul and Pauline.

best regards, Tony

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 5:25 AM ยท edited Mon, 28 November 2016 at 5:38 AM

Yeah, I am going to have to remodel those parts. I will have to work a bit harder to make sure they are skin tight like those extrusions are. The whole reason I went that route was to give them an implanted feel.BangHeadEmoti.gif

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 7:37 AM

If you make the mesh penetrate the figure instead of sitting on top, you'll get the effect you're after. I guess it won't be applicable in every instance but it'd certainly work for a spine piece.

My Store

My Gallery

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 8:09 AM

I can venture a guess that the Poser 11 fans would love to see this for Pauline!! With the recent sales the Poser 11/PP11 user base is growing.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Richard60 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 11:48 AM

Although the above is correct, the one fact that is not mentioned is that you need the copyright owners permission. Ask Smith Micro if you can use the mesh to do what you are trying. They may say yes based on the fact the newest figures are allowed to be used in the way you are using Miki4. If they say Yes then you are good.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 11:59 AM

Richard60 posted at 12:56PM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291205

Although the above is correct, the one fact that is not mentioned is that you need the copyright owners permission. Ask Smith Micro if you can use the mesh to do what you are trying. They may say yes based on the fact the newest figures are allowed to be used in the way you are using Miki4. If they say Yes then you are good.

I'm not so sure. The way Nerd3d was talking prior to Poser 11's release, there seemed to be some roadblock to having both Paul and Pauline available for use as resources, although they did eventually get it squared away. At least, that was my take on it.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 1:58 PM

So? I will have to write it again :

Poser comes with 6 meshes that allow this. The Poser-Pro figures, Low and Medium resolution, male and female, so that are 4 figures. And the Poser11 Paul and Pauline. It is very clear in the Poser Eula. But who reads those things? LOL. Best regards, Tony

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 2:31 PM

SamTherapy posted at 12:29PM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291183

If you make the mesh penetrate the figure instead of sitting on top, you'll get the effect you're after. I guess it won't be applicable in every instance but it'd certainly work for a spine piece.

That was my intention. In Blender, there is the shrink wrap utility, when you first apply it, the mesh gets pushed into the mesh. I am hoping this will do the trick. Well, that and a good modeling job.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 2:32 PM

tonyvilters posted at 12:31PM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291224

Poser comes with 6 meshes that allow this. The Poser-Pro figures, Low and Medium resolution, male and female, so that are 4 figures. And the Poser11 Paul and Pauline. It is very clear in the Poser Eula. But who reads those things? LOL. Best regards, Tony

I am using Poser 10. I don't have access to any of those figures...

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 2:42 PM

tonyvilters posted at 3:39PM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291224

Wasn't really the question being asked Tony. Granted, Paul and Pauline are currently the only two figures that allow this, but Nerd did mention that there had been discussions along thee lines of allowing other figures to be used as resources as well. To my knowledge it has not gone any further. However, that does not mean that if someone asked, allowances couldn't be worked out.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 2:48 PM

Hi Rokket, you can always ask SM.

Miki4 is however a special case since she does not belong to the figures that come with the app.

I remember questions and discussions about Rex and Roxie, Jessy, Sydney, but Miki4 was always on another level.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, I just deleted all that work and I am going to start over. I want to release this and I don't want any issues with copyrights or anything else on my head.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 3:40 PM

Rokket there is an offset property in the shrinkwrap modifier that will let you pull the mesh in closer or out . You could use this to move the mesh out a bit and then use the solidify modifier to give it thickness.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 5:30 PM

Great tip! I forgot about the solidify modifier. Thank you!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 5:55 PM ยท edited Mon, 28 November 2016 at 5:56 PM

The solidify modifier will let you apply thickness either way, you know. I'm doing something wrong, but if I can just figure out what, i can apply thickness to just the parts or sections I want on an object. My guess is I need to use the vertex group modifier.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 6:24 PM

That would be my guess. I am not familiar with all of Blender's tools yet. I do most of my modeling in Wings and then bring it into Blender for shrink wrap and some other tools I have figured out how to use.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 8:18 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

extrusion.png

Well I'll be an Onkey's Muncle. It worked. I am not keeping these boots. Actually, I might, but not for this project. I am going to make the legs to match the left arm. The right arm and torso will be covered in the costume made from the shrink wrap and solidify technique.

Vey Kool...

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 1:29 AM

new suit.png

I can never repeat anything I have ever created. I guess that's why I save everything I create. Here is my attempt at using the shrink wrap and solidify utilities to create her body implants. Not the same, but not bad either, I guess...

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 9:48 AM

It looks impressive.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 3:53 PM

hborre posted at 1:52PM Wed, 30 November 2016 - #4291493

It looks impressive.

Thanks! I have been struggling lately to do anything modeling...

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2016 at 3:54 PM

complete almost.png

Just one more section to complete. But I am not sure what I am going to do to finish it...

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 12:35 AM

where is the like button?

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 12:48 PM

gun.png

Yeah, this project is coming along just fine. Besides the left arm, I added this minigun. The shrinkwrap idea worked great.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 1:24 PM

Hope she doesn't need to scratch her nose. Could end up with a perforated head. :D

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 1:29 PM

Nah, she's right handed. It's fairly normal...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 1:58 PM

So...

Right handed - in fact, so strongly right handed she has to use it to scratch her nose? And has a powerful weapon in her left hand?

I can't see where anything could possibly go wrong there. ๐Ÿ˜

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 2:09 PM ยท edited Sat, 10 December 2016 at 2:10 PM

But then again, in all the cyborg movies I've ever seen, I don't recall ever seeing one scratch its nose...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 2:48 PM

That's because they don't want a perforated head, silly. :)

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 4:39 PM

cyborg with big gun.png

I finished the magazine and belt feed, so I thought I'd alter the pose a little for ya, Sam... scratching, picking... it can be done safely!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 5:28 PM

Cool. Bet she can't juggle, though. ๐Ÿ˜€

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 5:51 PM

You got me there...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 6:45 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I've seen people juggle one handed. I'd bet she could do that. But where in that suit will she carry a hankie?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 6:56 PM

RedPhantom posted at 12:56AM Sun, 11 December 2016 - #4292362

I've seen people juggle one handed. I'd bet she could do that. But where in that suit will she carry a hankie?

You don't want to know. Really, you don't.

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 7:50 PM

LOL!!!!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 8:57 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

LOL, probably not.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 10:21 PM

And if you find it, don't pick it up...

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2016 at 11:36 PM

cyborg with ball.png

Hehehe...

Boni ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 8:58 AM

Excellent work here! and ... Naughty, naughty ... LOL.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 9:09 AM ยท edited Sun, 11 December 2016 at 9:09 AM

For once I can't think of a Smart Ass One Liner. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

My Store

My Gallery

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 10:03 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

That came out of her nose? Maybe she does need to use her other hand.

Nice head on shot.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 10:17 AM

Maybe I should have put an unconscious clown in the scene...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 5:36 PM

Ah, she pulled it out of a clown's nose. I see.

You really need help. ๐Ÿ˜€

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 5:49 PM

Where is the face palm smiley?

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 7:05 PM ยท edited Sun, 11 December 2016 at 7:07 PM

cyborg with ball.png

Okay, I put a texture on the ball, so now it's a bomb, a la Green Goblin....

And she didn't pull it out of her nose, or anyone else's nose. It came from a panel in her leg... ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 9:08 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Ok, that's cool, hidden panels, or maybe not hidden, except from my point of view in the legs.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2016 at 9:43 PM

There is one panel in the right leg. I'll have to do a render with it open once rig it.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2016 at 8:43 AM

Aha! A "Leg's open" pose.

Note the apostrophe. ๐Ÿ˜€

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2016 at 4:53 PM

SamTherapy posted at 2:51PM Mon, 12 December 2016 - #4292484

Aha! A "Leg's open" pose.

Note the apostrophe. ๐Ÿ˜€

Couldn't help yourself, could you? ๐Ÿ˜œ

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.