Thu, Sep 19, 6:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: Welcoming our new Poser Overlords....

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 3:41 PM
Forum Coordinator

randym77 posted at 10:38PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353714

Sounds great. Though everyone's so busy talking about Rosity buying Poser that La Femme 1.1 is kind of lost in the shuffle.

Yes our new overlords are just as good at communication to the cows as our old overlords were. Good to see at least something that is consistent ? Now where do I find this update for LaFemme?

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 3:41 PM

I think this has the potential of being amazing for Poser.

Kind of feels like Poser has finally come home.

Just hoping we get some of the many needed/wanted updates.

qaz ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 3:51 PM

FVerbaas posted at 3:50PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353716

randym77 posted at 10:38PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353714

Sounds great. Though everyone's so busy talking about Rosity buying Poser that La Femme 1.1 is kind of lost in the shuffle.

Yes our new overlords are just as good at communication to the cows as our old overlords were. Good to see at least something that is consistent ? Now where do I find this update for LaFemme?

Just look in your available downloads and when you downloaded La Femme. It is updated to 1.1

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:06 PM · edited Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:07 PM

It's funny, I mentioned on the SM forums a day ago that they weren't a very good fit for Poser development and they should hand it over to someone who was, I guess I got my wish!

I'm excited to know that Rendo is taking over, this place has been my Poser-verse home for as long as I can remember and it feels good that the one place I consistently always go back to is now in charge of my favorite 3d rendering software.

I do have concerns, but I'm sure they'll all be answered soon.

In the meantime I do have some questions:

-How will product updates be handled?

-How will current SM Poser owners product keys and registrations be handled?

-How will physical copies of future Poser iterations be handled?

-Will updates use a new system of distribution?

-When SM sold Poser, did the current development team go with them or does Rendo have to hire a new team?

-Will future versions of Poser include LaFemme as a base figure?

-With the new LF 1.1 update, what happens with my current scenes with LF? Does the 1.1 replace the original figure in all my scenes or would I have to gulp start over? D:

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:13 PM

I went to look at it, and it says purchased and I can't click on that. So how do I get the upgrade?

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:14 PM · edited Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:15 PM
Forum Coordinator

qaz posted at 11:04PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353720

Just look in your available downloads and when you downloaded La Femme. It is updated to 1.1

OK, after a desparate search I finally found out how this works.

Even found some updates of last year.

All this work to update and then hide it deeeeeep.

Yes, our new overlords surpass their predecessors our old ones when it comes to communication. There is progress!!.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:16 PM

Never mind. I just went into my account and it's already there. I will be downloading for awhile!

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:20 PM

FVerbaas posted at 5:18PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353726

qaz posted at 11:04PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353720

OK, after a desparate search I finally found out how this works.

Even found some updates of last year.

All this work to update and then hide it deeeeeep.

Yes, our new overlords surpass their predecessors our old ones when it comes to communication. There is progress!!.

No one is hiding anything. It's always been this way at Renderosity - updates are added to your library automatically. All you have to do is go back to your original purchase and the files will be there with a date for the latest update.

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:35 PM · edited Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:46 PM

Folks, please let's stop the usual bickering and nay-saying for the moment.

** You all know that this is the best that could have happened to Poser lest to become abandonware...**

So for a change let's give Rendo a chance to show that they can handle Poser better that SM ever did! (not that hard actually :D)

Enjoy the "Winds of Change" instead!!! After all, it can't get any worse than it was hitherto. 😁

Poser at Rendo.jpg

😀 Cheer up!

Karina

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:43 PM

KarinaKiev posted at 5:42PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353730

Folks, please let's stop the usual bickering and nay-saying.

For a change let's give Rendo a chance to show that they can handle Poser better that SM ever did (not that hard actually :D)

;-)

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:50 PM · edited Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:52 PM

JohnDoe641 posted at 5:49PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353722

-With the new LF 1.1 update, what happens with my current scenes with LF? Does the 1.1 replace the original figure in all my scenes or would I have to gulp start over? D:

I can only reply to this one. The old LaFemme is still included anyway. Reloading your scene shouldn't be affected. No need to start over. Existing clothing, morphs, and textures still work with LaFemme 1.1. Don't panic. 8-)

LaFemme 1.1 still uses the same base OBJ file. There are JCM improvements, some morphs added here and there, and two new high resolution clothing dev kits that will help a TON with conforming clothing development.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 4:51 PM

I do have one major concern regarding the Poser deal with Renderosity. I wonder whether any other apps were included with the deal. Why you ask? Because one thing I've noticed is that Smith Micro was busy funding development on other apps like Moho, Rebelle and Motion Artist when several of the features in those programs made more sense (to me anyway) of being included in Poser. So yeah, I do feel a bit slighted when I see you paying more attention to those programs than Poser. I'm probably wrong, but I just feel like I'm not.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:06 PM

I think only Poser came here.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:09 PM

I am just hoping for a site update. I don't know about anyone else, but this site loads very slow for me, while everything else I look at on the internet is fairly fast. I am using Firefox, if that's any help.

qaz ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:10 PM

JohnDoe641 posted at 4:54PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353722

It's a new figure. I doubt there are enough changes to warranted replacing the figure, but if you do its quite straight forward. First select the original figure and click a pose dot. Load new figure and click same pose dot. The two figures should be right on top of each other. If not fine tune by translating the new body so it is. If your character is wearing clothes - perish the thought, select each item, right mouse click, and select conform to La Femme 1 (every time you load a La Femme it is going to increment by 1.) Delete original figure. Make sure that Delete attached figures is checked. This is when you discover you forgot about the hair, or underwear. Click undo a couple of times and the figure re appears. Do it properly this time. Re delete figure, and it should be sorted.

I do this all the time, so its no big deal.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:11 PM

Deecey posted at 6:03PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353734

JohnDoe641 posted at 5:49PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353722

I can only reply to this one. The old LaFemme is still included anyway. Reloading your scene shouldn't be affected. No need to start over. Existing clothing, morphs, and textures still work with LaFemme 1.1. Don't panic. 8-)

LaFemme 1.1 still uses the same base OBJ file. There are JCM improvements, some morphs added here and there, and two new high resolution clothing dev kits that will help a TON with conforming clothing development.

I think I understand, but just to make sure I am ?

I use a heavily morphed version of LF that I've saved as a new figure instead of a single dial spin morph cause I can't figure out how to do that. It's using a combo of the MR morphs, BH's hd morphs, body scaling and 3Dreams excellent textures. I use it in any scene that I want LF in, so would the new update, update my morphed LF? IE if I load a scene that has my morphed LF, will it now contain the under arm morph? I dunno if I'm asking that right, but it took me a very long time to get the look that I wanted.

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:18 PM

@Eclark:

Though I partly understand your concern: But wouldn't it be a good idea just to keep waiting until more details get available, instead of shooting at anything in the dark?

I mean - it was only official today... So letś give them (whoever in charge now) a few more hours to adapt. Please!

K

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:18 PM · edited Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:21 PM

JohnDoe asked " I dunno if I'm asking that right, but it took me a very long time to get the look that I wanted."

Hmmm ... in that case I think maybe the quickest thing to do is just re-inject the La Femme 1R1 base body morphs and face morphs into your existing character. That should add the new morphs (some hand morphs, some teeth morphs, and the underarm morphs) to your existing character.

Save your scene first before you add the injections. Just in case. But that should give you what you're looking for. If not let me know and I will investigate further.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 5:23 PM

One request...

Please stop shouting at us. Poser - OFFICIAL is a bit shouty. 😃

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 6:03 PM

Well holy crap. This is interesting.

...and before anyone throws shade, shaddap and listen first: I actually think this is good news. Now maybe a company with an actual vested interested in the program's health and well-being can invest proper time, personnel, and effort into the thing. That is all.

Regd's,

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 6:06 PM

PS: hurry the f*** up and get all the NearMe stuff back up and going in the store. I found the base mesh languishing in an ancient backed-up runtime directory while I was scrounging for old Mike 1/2 stuff, and it's cute as hell (I already hoovered the entire global IPv4 address space last week for every freebie I could scrounge.)

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 6:12 PM

KarinaKiev posted at 7:11PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353745

@Eclark:

Though I partly understand your concern: But wouldn't it be a good idea just to keep waiting until more details get available, instead of shooting at anything in the dark?

I mean - it was only official today... So letś give them (whoever in charge now) a few more hours to adapt. Please!

K

Well, unless I drop dead, which I wasn't planning to do, all I can do is wait.

Lotharen ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 6:41 PM

I can say I'm excited about this change. I just hope it leads in a direction everyone (or most everyone) can be happy with. Obviously SM wasn't doing a whole lot with it so this might just be what we need. I've honestly been using DS for some time now. I own Poser 11 Pro but really haven't rendered with it in a while since I wasn't sure if it was on life support or not. Don't wait to waste my time learning a program that may be circling the drain if you know what I mean.

WILL_I_AM ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 7:05 PM

I, for one, welcome our new Poser overlords and look forward to their benevolent rule.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 7:29 PM

Lotharen posted at 8:28PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353777

I can say I'm excited about this change. I just hope it leads in a direction everyone (or most everyone) can be happy with. Obviously SM wasn't doing a whole lot with it so this might just be what we need. I've honestly been using DS for some time now. I own Poser 11 Pro but really haven't rendered with it in a while since I wasn't sure if it was on life support or not. Don't wait to waste my time learning a program that may be circling the drain if you know what I mean.

I think SM had gone about as far as they knew how or were willing to go with it.

rty ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 8:07 PM

Congratulations. I only hope Rendo finds enough loose change between the sofa cushions to keep Poser alive and evolving (as opposed to a dried-out mummy exhibit).

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 9:57 PM

You know what's really interesting? Since they bought Poser, I've posted more today to Renderosity than I did all of last year.

movida ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 10:25 PM

Deecey posted at 10:23PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353692

movida posted at 3:04PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353689

I've also recently started playing around in Carrara and I'm impressed with it - next purchase Rendo lol

Metacreations also had Bryce, Carrara, Painter, Ray Dream Studio, Kai's Power Tools, tons of cool stuff. Spread out all over now.

I still have my Kai's Power Tools CD - somewhere :)

With all the new female's and it looks like 2 new males Poser is good to go for centuries

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 11:04 PM

movida posted at 12:03AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353821

Deecey posted at 10:23PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353692

movida posted at 3:04PM Thu, 20 June 2019 - #4353689

I've also recently started playing around in Carrara and I'm impressed with it - next purchase Rendo lol

Metacreations also had Bryce, Carrara, Painter, Ray Dream Studio, Kai's Power Tools, tons of cool stuff. Spread out all over now.

I still have my Kai's Power Tools CD - somewhere :)

Me too somewhere. I think I lost my original Poser floppy disk a long time ago though. Two floppies. One with the program, one with the content.

With all the new female's and it looks like 2 new males Poser is good to go for centuries

I see that as a great thing! Yuppers I do!

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2019 at 11:33 PM

The news is spreading. I have been on a few other sites that have mentioned it. A lot of people who post or used to post here are on those sites. We may yet be seeing a lot of old faces (figurative term, this is the internet) back here again. I myself was a rare sight here for the longest time. Too much bickering and petty nonsense drove me away. But it looks like I will be back a lot more now...

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:06 AM

KarinaKiev posted at 6:05AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353745

@Eclark:

K

Er. Its very civil in here, you're the only one that's saying otherwise.....

jartz ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 1:37 AM

This looks promising and I look forward to the future of Poser.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 3:30 AM

EClark1894 posted at 2:20AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353735

I do have one major concern regarding the Poser deal with Renderosity. I wonder whether any other apps were included with the deal. Why you ask? Because one thing I've noticed is that Smith Micro was busy funding development on other apps like Moho, Rebelle and Motion Artist when several of the features in those programs made more sense (to me anyway) of being included in Poser. So yeah, I do feel a bit slighted when I see you paying more attention to those programs than Poser. I'm probably wrong, but I just feel like I'm not.

Smith Micro never owned Rebelle and never funded it. It merely has a distribution license. The software was created and maintained by Escape Motions. It never owned Clip Studio Paint either.

qaz ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 4:49 AM

This is so low key. Oh, and bye the way we bought Poser. No song and dance. No and this is the way we see the future.

Its more, we took this on because we didnt have any choice. They practically gave it to us so we thought what the heck. Renderosity doesn't look the slightest bit exited about this, and that doesn't bode well. Do they even have a team to support Poser.

Renderosity are content sellers, not program writers so the whole business model needs to be reappraised. They don't have any figures to match Daz characters, and they have no intention of stopping support of Genesis despite the fact that that supports a competitors product to the detriment of their own. Do they therefore make Poser free and essentially abandon it.

Just a simple statement of intention would be a good idea at the moment.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 5:14 AM

qaz posted at 6:09AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353846

This is so low key. Oh, and bye the way we bought Poser. No song and dance. No and this is the way we see the future.

Its more, we took this on because we didnt have any choice. They practically gave it to us so we thought what the heck. Renderosity doesn't look the slightest bit exited about this, and that doesn't bode well. Do they even have a team to support Poser.

Renderosity are content sellers, not program writers so the whole business model needs to be reappraised. They don't have any figures to match Daz characters, and they have no intention of stopping support of Genesis despite the fact that that supports a competitors product to the detriment of their own. Do they therefore make Poser free and essentially abandon it.

And Karina claimed I was being negative. DAZ was a content seller now they make Studio. DAZ learned to make good figures, so I'm willing to wait and see what the future brings.

qaz ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 5:26 AM

EClark1894 posted at 5:19AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353848

And Karina claimed I was being negative. DAZ was a content seller now they make Studio. DAZ learned to make good figures, so I'm willing to wait and see what the future brings. Daz was a content maker- and still is. Studio is only there to attract buyers of their content, and protect them against the owners of the platform going bust.

As i say, a simple statement of intent would be a good idea.

ader ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 6:04 AM

Agreed, we need to know what Renderosity's plans for Poser are. If they need to Crowd Fund future development then I will be there voting and supporting with my wallet!

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:05 AM

qaz posted at 8:02AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353846

There's a front page article, there's a newsletter, there's a pinned announcement in half of the forum categories, what more did you want, should they change their logo at the top to "WE OWN POSER YAY!"?

Honestly, they couldn't do more than this, specially seeing as the people who sell content for DS are already worried Renderosity would become focused only on Poser and they're having to confirm everywhere that it won't. If they were painting the walls for Poser, the DS vendors would be scared to hell.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:06 AM

About their intentions for Poser, it's been two days. Please, do give them time to organize this - I'm sure they're drowning under questions and trying to move every Poser license into their servers now so that they can deal with people wanting to re-download things or upgrade etc.

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

rty ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:24 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 2:15PM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353856

Please, do give them time to organize this

I sure hope they did "organize" this (think this over) before they adopted Poser! Poser isn't a impulse buy, as it comes with strings attached. As it is right now, it will cost them a lot more money than they make out of it (which is why SM got rid of it), so either Rendo has too much money (I hope for them, but don't believe it), or they already had a solid plan to turn Poser from the half-dead corpse surviving on nostalgia into something that can seriously compete with (free) Daz Studio and make them money.

I sure don't want to see the usual "But it was so cute when we bought it" yet again. How many Poser owners have there been?...

movida ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:42 AM

rty posted at 7:42AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353857

I sure hope they did "organize" this (think this over) before they adopted Poser! Poser isn't a impulse buy, as it comes with strings attached. As it is right now, it will cost them a lot more money than they make out of it (which is why SM got rid of it), so either Rendo has too much money (I hope for them, but don't believe it), or they already had a solid plan to turn Poser from the half-dead corpse surviving on nostalgia into something that can seriously compete with (free) Daz Studio and make them money.

I sure don't want to see the usual "But it was so cute when we bought it" yet again. How many Poser owners have there been?...

Where is your information regarding profitability coming from?

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:46 AM

I meant organizing what had to be left for after they announced it. You'll remember that the moment the announcement was made, SM locked their Poser forums, now there's questions everywhere about what happens to all the information there, if they'll bring it over - and then there's the people asking about their previous purchases, if they'll be carried over, etc.

It's likely they couldn't tell even the workers that this purchase was being made, otherwise the word could get out there and rumors would have been spread. So my guess is that they'll be looking for devs from now on, too.

And by now, Poser is a robust program. Sure, DS is free - but how many paid addons do you need to have it do what Poser can do from the box? I, for one, hate programs that rely so much on addons - you get people who buy your content and complain that they don't have the addon even when you stated in the product page that the addon is needed, etc. The thing is, people are scared to use Poser's features, otherwise we'd have far superior images made in Poser everywhere.

Given the right people working on it, the right documentation etc, I really think Poser can become famous again.

- - - - - - 

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:49 AM

Not knowing any details allow some wishful thinking.

Well, why not? One can dream and this might be the right moment.

Hire Larry back as lead programmer (he created/invented Poser) and hire Dee back as tech doc specialist. A great job she did with all her heart.

Best regards and all the best for Poser's future.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 8:07 AM

as the people who sell content for DS are already worried Renderosity

would become focused only on Poser and they're having to confirm

everywhere that it won't. If they were painting the walls for Poser, the

DS vendors would be scared to hell.

To be honest Renderosity has Much more "relaxed" Standards for what is an acceptable DS product compared to the Daz store.

If Renderosity Did become a poser only store it would likely only be eliminating the Daz content creators who perhaps were not up to the Uber High standards of the "premuim"

Daz PA's and would thus lose their only outlet for selling.

Still as a self sustaining outlier still running DS 4.8, who models my own genesis1,2,3 clothing & morphs and uses Iclone pro pipeline for motionbuilding& retargeting and renders in Lightwave & C4D, It will be interesting to watch this all unfold the sidelines.

My website

YouTube Channel

wheatpenny ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 8:20 AM
Site Admin

Renderosity will NOT become a Poser-Only store. We will continue supporting Daz Studio and selling Daz content as before. As far as Daz Studio is concerned, nothing will change.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 8:43 AM · edited Fri, 21 June 2019 at 8:47 AM

Btw, expressing your concerns is not akin to being negative any more than telling someone to "wait and see" is being positive. I can 'wait and see" until I'm on my death bed, ten, twenty or thirty years down the line. It doesn't mean things will get better or worse. However, expressing your concerns does tell the new owners where you think Poser does deserve extra attention and care. I'm concerned about Superfly development. Will it become more like Cycles standard or will it still lack some of the oomph of the original Cycles, including a denoiser, Portals, and all the proper nodes? I'd like to be able to model and texture everything in Blender and then import it into Poser fully intact, textures, nodes and all.

I'd also like to say that I have no interest in Genesis working in Poser, unless in reciprocation Poser's figures will work in Studio. I think that's only fair. Oh, I hope somebody asks me why.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 8:51 AM

Oh, and toss backwards compatibility out the nearest airlock.

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 10:30 AM

movida posted at 11:29AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353858

rty posted at 7:42AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353857

Where is your information regarding profitability coming from?

SM was not a good fit for Poser. Let's leave it at that.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 10:43 AM

I don't particularly want Genesis in Poser, either.

I think Poser and DS have become too different, and trying to make them compatible would hold back both programs.

I do hope Poser will continue to be compatible with Vue. Including my older version of Vue. Not ready to commit to the subscription model e-On is insisting on now.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 10:52 AM · edited Fri, 21 June 2019 at 10:56 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 8:16AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353859

I meant organizing what had to be left for after they announced it. You'll remember that the moment the announcement was made, SM locked their Poser forums, now there's questions everywhere about what happens to all the information there, if they'll bring it over - and then there's the people asking about their previous purchases, if they'll be carried over, etc.

Having done more than a few acquisitions of software companies in my career, I can say this is likely what's going to happen:

1. The old SmithMicro forums may or may not continue to exist. They may be left online as a courtesy archive, but locked to read-only. Eventually, it will either be absorbed into here as some sort of legacy thing off to the side, or simply deleted once enough time has passed (a few years.) This assumes that the old forums are kept going. DAZ did the courtesy-forum thing with PoserPros' forums for something like 5 years(?) after taking it over. They only destroyed it entirely after traffic dropped below a certain point (forgot what point that was).

Renderosity might do the same thing, but a lot of it will depend on the costs and effort of keeping it going in-situ vs. importing the data into Rendo's existing forum software vs. forklifting the whole wad to a box that Rendo owns. Since Rendo didn't buy SmithMicro, the first option is likely out. Unless Rendo changed their forum software to not be that uber-bespoke thing they were selling years ago, the second option would likely require a long and painful process that won't justify the expense.

The last option is most likely, though it requires Smith Micro lending the old subdomain name (viz. DNS), or at least put up a 302 redirect and a lot of monkeying around - oh, and an SSL cert, naturally, but in spite of that, it's the most doable option... if SM agrees to help make that work on their end, and/or if it's part of the purchase contract.

Can't see much else being a viable option for that bit of it, really.

1. Previous purchases (off CP and whatever other software store SM owned and sold Poser from) are sacrosanct. Rendo will have to import that data and make that stuff available for re-download over a period of time, full-stop (I think it's 7 years or so depending on state laws?) As an alternate mechanism and in extreme cases, they can also manually supply older/ancient purchase download links by way of you contacting customer support with proof of purchase, which they can compare against the records they bought alongside the stuff. Either way, expect this bit of it to migrate over - and expect it to eat a lot of time and effort to mesh the data in with their existing CRM infrastructure.

It's likely they couldn't tell even the workers that this purchase was being made, otherwise the word could get out there and rumors would have been spread. So my guess is that they'll be looking for devs from now on, too.

I'm fairly sure they quietly informed the key devs of what was up, and that massive accommodation was made for a few of them to help incentivize them into staying.

Down at rank-and-file level, the devs would also be kept on, and given permission to work-from-home if they couldn't/wouldn't relocate. Odds are good that Rendo might have bought/leased a small office in the town where the devs were concentrated anyway.

Now the non-dev folks who worked for SM on Poser - the managers, support staff, and etc? Hate to say it, but if there are any, they just became (most likely) redundant. Rendo might keep on the PM, DevOps/sysadmin, Tech Writer(s), and other unique/key personnel, but unless you write code for the thing? If SM no longer needs you, odds are good that Rendo will probably not need you either (unless you can relocate, and even then maybe.)

And by now, Poser is a robust program. Sure, DS is free...

Let's just agree to disagree with your assessment and keep moving, 'k? ;)

The thing is, people are scared to use Poser's features, otherwise we'd have far superior images made in Poser everywhere.

This is true of any Prosumer application, regardless of cost. Some people can make an application truly sing, but most just barely make it gargle.

Given the right people working on it, the right documentation etc, I really think Poser can become famous again.

Documentation is a bugaboo for all apps these days, unless it's an app that has near-global attention (in which case documentation is comprehensive and omnipresent.) Writing a doc for something as complex as Poser is going to require a megaton of work. From personal experience: Even the joke-level-simple 2005-vintage DAZ Studio 1.0? Its user manual sucked down 300+ printed pages just to explain what it can do, and the basics of how to do each bit.

Nowadays, DS or Poser would require something on the order of 500-600 pages of documentation just to explain everything in it. This is now a full-time job for a tech writer (and not for a bored and at the time freshly-divorced codemonkey with nothing better to do on his weekday evenings.)

The biggest thing that can make Poser famous again would require a seismic shift in how people pursue their spare time. A lot of people love to do artwork, but not everyone has the time and/or skills to get past that cliff-steep learning curve that is CG, no matter how gently you try to introduce them to it. Fix that, and you have a high-volume money-printing machine.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.