Wed, Sep 18, 11:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 10:22 am)

Subject: Show your Poser 13 renders!

Thalek ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2023 at 8:35 PM

vopehov506 posted at 6:33 PM Mon, 1 May 2023 - #4463981

Made some light changes, dimmed the lab lights and added a flashlight that points the zombie in the face from the corridor . Adding lights in certain cases sure enhances the render. Superfly render no postwork ( Right out of the Box )  Thank you for pointing it out that the last one was to Bright-Shiny :)

That is a very dramatic image.  I think you managed the changes in lighting brilliantly, and in my uneducated opinion, it greatly improved it.

722 ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2023 at 8:38 PM · edited Mon, 01 May 2023 at 8:38 PM

a lot of great renders 

try to see how many aliens could get in one takekChDl4Q5qOTg4jUN8anE97y46XukIbqiL1nXGsdm.jpg 

relly like the new render motor

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 10:11 AM

Still doing Blender to Poser imports.

Nu5UWtplwHHY2SQtrGUqsuvbsXVryQeuAn1yo5ZZ.jpg

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 12:28 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 12:35 PM

722 Cool ! you just inspired me using some of this Alien stuff and check what can be done with in superfly ....

This is the Alien Landing Bay, huge Environment equipped with the Alien Hybrid and the Betty. it was the point when moving the cam started cranking ( A little ) Textures adapted for GPU rendering in superfly, was not a easy task at all you can only imagine how many texture maps this Environment contains ! ( Open Image in New Tab for full View )

Full Scene

lnT5JDmuN2c2wXBS8NXLOLOQ0BQlrLXRZNlCFcUQ.jpg

Alien Closeup

YrNuFjGe886BK7l4N3cewEvgst1VUmC6GULL5LHc.jpg

vopehov506 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 12:31 PM

hornet3d Cool you must have a neat collection of Scifi gadgets for your Runtime :)

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 1:04 PM
vopehov506 posted at 12:31 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464019

hornet3d Cool you must have a neat collection of Scifi gadgets for your Runtime :)

Yes but then I have been collecting for over twenty years and, with a few tweaks, most of the old stuff is still useable today. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 2:08 PM

Come on people, you got no good reason to not use DOF! I'm seeing a lot of good stuff here but you guys need to separate your subject from the background with DOF. Here is one using AppleJack's car expo (from Rendo's marketplace) DOF makes a world of difference.

wbz5yKgl7UKUZ09sm5bYtQ7Ej4Y36KsLxI6cApQG.jpg

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 2:22 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 2:25 PM
ghostship2 posted at 2:08 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464027

Come on people, you got no good reason to not use DOF! I'm seeing a lot of good stuff here but you guys need to separate your subject from the background with DOF. Here is one using AppleJack's car expo (from Rendo's marketplace) DOF makes a world of difference.

wbz5yKgl7UKUZ09sm5bYtQ7Ej4Y36KsLxI6cApQG.jpg

I take your point and there is no doubt that DOF really increases the impact but (I know you were expecting a but at this point) many of my renders are intended for book illustration and thus sometimes need to impart details and DOF may detract from this.  If it is to help tell the story of an individual or event rather than a location then DOF is fairly essential, even if I do forget it at times.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 2:34 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 2:39 PM

DOF ?! well when I use this feature then probably in a Photo application making more sense, better choice then you can also postwork your render for preference :) Resuls in poser are not accurate enough when getting at this point. In the case of your Render it is changing with using  DOF a Story from a skater in a skating room into a simple Pinup render. But it is individual what the creator wants to present, either a Skater in action or just a pretty pinup .... So blurring out the background allot of times has the effect of erasing it and with it the story. I like the First render without blur as this one is telling a story :) The other one is just a pinup like seen allot of times ( Darn where'd I put my glasses ) Sure if you want to sell an outfit  then the second blurry one is the better choice ....

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 3:49 PM
I disagree with your statement.  DoF enhances an image, adds a point of interest, and isolates the background from the main character or object.  Crystal-sharp backgrounds are great for landscapes, vistas, and panoramas, a method to diminish your character into the greater scope of his/her environment.  Sit down, watch a movie, and note how often DoF is interwoven in the telling of the story.  Portraits, street photography, and close-ups depend on this technique to make a point and statement.  Making the statement that it is merely a pinup feature is really not thinking through why and when it should be applied.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 4:06 PM
Online Now!

I agree hborre, and would like to add an extension, if I may. If DoF is applied to an emvironment where elements are truly in 3D, and not just lined up flatly next to each other, it is indeed a significant enhancer and element of art. Sadly, all too often the 3D element is missing from Poser images.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 4:57 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 4:57 PM

That said there are degrees of DOF.

iGwCfWY2cOTMUq2HfA0QeCvaFo4y9lfY65sFnCEs.jpg

vopehov506 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 5:04 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 5:09 PM

Well then the sample might of been wrong especially when you have a comparison of two. The first looks great as you can see the details in the background, nice architecture. The second is so much washed out that you would never have a clue of the details. sure in a movie they wash out the Backgrounds at times so you concentrate on the main characters, but you will mostly get a sharp Image so your brain can memorize it and place it in the washed out Background to complete your memory image. But here we have two renders, one reference. So what happens, you will find the second great because you seen the first one, your brain memorizes the background and places it into the second, the second has a main character coming in front the background is not to be recognized, but your brain will automatically correct it sliding it together . close your eyes and think about the render and you will see what really happens in your memory. But if you only got one with a washed out background you will never ever get a clear full image in your memory you will only remember the pinup but not the scene.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 5:12 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 5:18 PM

Do you know what makes a great photograph ? How he gets these incredible images and impressions ? He looks at the world with just one Eye. so when you shoot a image close one eye and you will see how it will really look like. A way to frame a Image so that only the things that you want to communicate get on the image and nothing else but the Image needs to be sharp to do so. then you will know what needs to be washed out. Something that Poser sure can't do to see with one eye ! Give it a shot and you will see .... With one Eye

vopehov506 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 5:28 PM

from the renders I seen in here I would say that JanusJsenwark has the Impressionism of a Photograph even if not all renders are my taste but looking at them with one Eye there already have the touch and are framed correctly. we might all be able to learn from he's works when it comes to wash out and frame ! I understand that a pair of boobs can be a main attraction well even more then gold in some cases but even these are hard to really frame making it special.  

Thalek ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 5:44 PM

I'd like to slip my two credits' worth in.  DOF, like any other tool, depends on your intent.  I have to agree that with the skater, using DOF kind of diminished the old story, but told a new story: skater vs. pinup or portrait.  And as long as we're talking a comparison with movies, watch the editing.  In many movies, they don't blur the background and shift the focus (pun intended) until after you've already seen the background once and know the environment.  It's like the establishing shot in a way, where they show you the outside of the building before shifting to the characters inside one of the offices of that building.  Instead, they've established the environment first before intensifying on the character.

Sometimes, they will deliberately obscure the environment because the reveal is intended to invoke a response.  Such as in The Hunt For Red October, we see Ryan and Ramius close up, and Ramius warns Ryan to be careful where he shoots.  Then they switch to another angle and show that they're in the missile room, with 18 or so nuclear-tipped missiles in their launch tubes. The meaning behind Ramius's warning becomes clear AND emphasized at that point.

DOF is a tool for emphasis.  It's up to each creator to decide when they need to provide emphasis, and when they do not.  And like any tool, it can be under-utilized or over-utilized.  It is my speculation that the choice is more critical for a still because you only have once chance with one image to tell the story you want to tell. In a movie, you can do both if you want to, as the emphasis of the scene shifts dynamically.

I remember an episode of Ironside from the 70s where they used a technique that is a little more common now.  Instead of the traditional two camera set up, where you cut back and forth as the characters talk, they set up an angle where both characters were visible, and changed the DOF to focus on the character who was talking.

That said, all of you are better at this than I am.  I just wanted to point out that both sides have some right on their side for the differing opinions.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 6:31 PM

Thalek posted at 5:44 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464053

I'd like to slip my two credits' worth in.  DOF, like any other tool, depends on your intent.  I have to agree that with the skater, using DOF kind of diminished the old story, but told a new story: skater vs. pinup or portrait.  And as long as we're talking a comparison with movies, watch the editing.  In many movies, they don't blur the background and shift the focus (pun intended) until after you've already seen the background once and know the environment.  It's like the establishing shot in a way, where they show you the outside of the building before shifting to the characters inside one of the offices of that building.  Instead, they've established the environment first before intensifying on the character.

Sometimes, they will deliberately obscure the environment because the reveal is intended to invoke a response.  Such as in The Hunt For Red October, we see Ryan and Ramius close up, and Ramius warns Ryan to be careful where he shoots.  Then they switch to another angle and show that they're in the missile room, with 18 or so nuclear-tipped missiles in their launch tubes. The meaning behind Ramius's warning becomes clear AND emphasized at that point.

DOF is a tool for emphasis.  It's up to each creator to decide when they need to provide emphasis, and when they do not.  And like any tool, it can be under-utilized or over-utilized.  It is my speculation that the choice is more critical for a still because you only have once chance with one image to tell the story you want to tell. In a movie, you can do both if you want to, as the emphasis of the scene shifts dynamically.

I remember an episode of Ironside from the 70s where they used a technique that is a little more common now.  Instead of the traditional two camera set up, where you cut back and forth as the characters talk, they set up an angle where both characters were visible, and changed the DOF to focus on the character who was talking.

That said, all of you are better at this than I am.  I just wanted to point out that both sides have some right on their side for the differing opinions.

I have to agree with what you have said while, at the same time, I can understand where some people will be very frustrated when they see renders that could be improved with DOF.  A lot depends, as you have clearly laid out, the intent behind the render in question and you can mimic the movies if you wish by running a render followed by a close up which is what I was trying to do on the renders I posted here earlier.

The first has some DOF but the detail of the room is still discernible.

DKEe0WQ7LX5sigmXxu11t3sOoXyfnAQgmnxJ7gmj.jpg

With the close up the DOF has bee further reduced.

c7Q0WMg1NhgzO2AhmqDHpurkdzezGMRT7NXDHAFL.jpg

This does at least prove it is possible with Poser and the more I play with DOF the easier I find it, but that is from someone who has a photographic background so i can see how some might struggle with the concept.  Even here the focus is fairly tight otherwise her face is in focus but parts of her body are not.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 6:34 PM · edited Tue, 02 May 2023 at 6:35 PM

The other point not mentioned is the information that Ghostship2 departed in the skating post in that the timing shows that there is very little time penalty when using DOF which has not always been the case with Poser.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 7:35 PM
Site Admin

The amount of DOF is an artistic choice. As I'm reading this thread, I'm watching TV and looking at the DOF. The show varies from a slight blur to twice as strong as what Ghostship used in the same scene. It also changed from one person to the other. One of the commercials also had quite a strong DOF. You couldn't tell any details.

There are multiple reasons for using DOF. It can add depth, add emphasis, change focus, hide imperfections in the background, or just look pretty.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

jura11 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 7:44 PM

For me DOF is must,I use DOF all the time when I do final renders,for test renders I usually don't use DOF,but I agree it's choice which you can use or not,it's personal preference 

Thanks,Jura

ChromeStar ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 7:51 PM
vopehov506 posted at 5:04 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464048

Well then the sample might of been wrong especially when you have a comparison of two.

It's not wrong, it's just one example. The effect will be more extreme if you have a single subject close up to the camera and a background that is far away. But even then you can adjust not just the point of focus but also the depth. Doing that right is part of the composition of the image, just like lighting and camera angle. For the skater, if the purpose was telling a story, you'd probably have a wider establishing shot first to establish the scene (with the central figure further away and deeper DOF), with the close-up to follow, so it's not necessary for the close-up to also provide all those background details.

For your alien landing hanger, in the image it's a little unclear to me what the ship is doing. Is it sitting on the strut or is it flying between? The only depth cue is a tiny amount of occlusion from some equipment in front of it, but I really have to study the image to see that. Some depth of field would help there. (Also motion blur if it's supposed to be in motion.) I think DOF would also increase the menace of the alien in the close-up. Uniform focus makes it look like the entire scene is further away.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 9:30 PM
Site Admin

A question about using DOF. I can set the focus distance with out problem but how do you figure the fstop? 2.9 doesn’t tell me much. 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2023 at 11:45 PM

An F-Stop of 2.9 on a camera lens means that the aperture is wide open reducing the amount of DoF.  As your F-Stop value increases, the size of the aperture decreases thus increasing the amount of DoF in the scene.  This is an oversimplification of how Poser handles focus distance and DoF, there are other factors like ISO and lighting conditions that govern how F-Stops are determined on a camera lens, depending on the lens.

722 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:17 AM
vopehov506 posted at 12:28 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464018

722 Cool ! you just inspired me using some of this Alien stuff and check what can be done with in superfly ....

This is the Alien Landing Bay, huge Environment equipped with the Alien Hybrid and the Betty. it was the point when moving the cam started cranking ( A little ) Textures adapted for GPU rendering in superfly, was not a easy task at all you can only imagine how many texture maps this Environment contains ! ( Open Image in New Tab for full View )

Full Scene

lnT5JDmuN2c2wXBS8NXLOLOQ0BQlrLXRZNlCFcUQ.jpg

Alien Closeup

YrNuFjGe886BK7l4N3cewEvgst1VUmC6GULL5LHc.jpg

awesome like the alien

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 3:45 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 3:46 AM

vopehov506 posted at 2:34 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464029

DOF ?! well when I use this feature then probably in a Photo application making more sense, better choice then you can also postwork your render for preference :) Resuls in poser are not accurate enough when getting at this point. In the case of your Render it is changing with using  DOF a Story from a skater in a skating room into a simple Pinup render. But it is individual what the creator wants to present, either a Skater in action or just a pretty pinup .... So blurring out the background allot of times has the effect of erasing it and with it the story. I like the First render without blur as this one is telling a story :) The other one is just a pinup like seen allot of times ( Darn where'd I put my glasses ) Sure if you want to sell an outfit  then the second blurry one is the better choice ....

Please, would you mind to be somewhat careful with the way with which you foment your sentences? I mean: I'm doing quite a bunch of.... "simple pinup portraits" and even though English is not natural for me, I'm doing my best to be understood correctly, and your "simple pinup" could be interpreted wrongly, especially when a bunch of famous photographs are doing amazing "simple pinup portraits"

This type of sentences tends to be recurrent online and it tends to... annoy me to remain polite because it often implies a judgment on piece of what we do not like. There are a lot of images here whose quality I appreciate but whose theme I don't like, so what? the images are beautiful, sorry: amazing. Point.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 4:11 AM

Y-Phil posted at 3:45 AM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464102

vopehov506 posted at 2:34 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464029

Please, would you mind to be somewhat careful with the way with which you foment your sentences? I mean: I'm doing quite a bunch of.... "simple pinup portraits" and even though English is not natural for me, I'm doing my best to be understood correctly, and your "simple pinup" could be interpreted wrongly, especially when a bunch of famous photographs are doing amazing "simple pinup portraits"

This type of sentences tends to be recurrent online and it tends to... annoy me to remain polite because it often implies a judgment on piece of what we do not like. There are a lot of images here whose quality I appreciate but whose theme I don't like, so what? the images are beautiful, sorry: amazing. Point.

I understand what you are saying sadly, some of the Pin Up attitudes come from the history of Poser where is was seen as the only purpose of the software. I remember years ago an abbreviation which I think was NVIATWAS which stood for Naked Vicky In A Temple With A Sword (I am sure someone will correct me if I have that wrong).  Fact was that the majority of renders posted on the forums like this were along those lines with either a naked Vicky or near enough as, if she was dressed, it was usually in skimp wear.  Thank fully times have changed and, while skimp wear is still easy to come by, there are more everyday outfits and far more practical uniforms also available. 

Over the twenty odd years (most years for me are odd, and I don't mean in the odd and even sense of the word) I doubt I have created more than a couple of naked renders, one reason was I was not that fussed about how figures looked when in complex poses.  That is not to say I cannot appreciate any sort of pin up render or the time and effort required to create such an image.  Am am always interested to see what others are doing with the software and each to their own really, it is easy to forget that, in general, there is more that unites us than divides us on these forums.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 4:31 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 4:34 AM

Y-Phil Not meant to offend anyone :) I tend to be a little dramatic at times ...

My personal meaning is that allot of artists are very limited on rendering Pinups, but even these are often cut on the legs, guess it would be more work placing them on a floor. Portrait are another thing and sure not easy getting a good eye for a really good Portrait especially in 3D. 

Have you noted? if the 3D Doll got big shiny eyes then she will have big Boobs ( In most cases at least ) so Poser DS 3D artists define the eyes with the Boobs LOL. You can observe this in many cases.

The thing with the cut legs ( Feet ) is not only a phenomenon in Poser . New Disney animation movies have most of the time the Legs cut off , a thing I observed the ones drawd  by hand in times showed more how the animations were walking on the ground . So the Difficult parts in 3D are often just left out by cutting the legs and place a Image shot in the background. 

And sure I understand the Blur out in Poser 3D as if the background is a real Picture and more realistic then the Render of the asset background needs to be blurred to adapt it to the quality of the 3D model ( A possible theory )  

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 5:59 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 6:03 AM

vopehov506 posted at 4:31 AM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464110

Y-Phil Not meant to offend anyone :) I tend to be a little dramatic at times ...

My personal meaning is that allot of artists are very limited on rendering Pinups, but even these are often cut on the legs, guess it would be more work placing them on a floor. Portrait are another thing and sure not easy getting a good eye for a really good Portrait especially in 3D. 

Have you noted? if the 3D Doll got big shiny eyes then she will have big Boobs ( In most cases at least ) so Poser DS 3D artists define the eyes with the Boobs LOL. You can observe this in many cases.

The thing with the cut legs ( Feet ) is not only a phenomenon in Poser . New Disney animation movies have most of the time the Legs cut off , a thing I observed the ones drawd  by hand in times showed more how the animations were walking on the ground . So the Difficult parts in 3D are often just left out by cutting the legs and place a Image shot in the background. 

And sure I understand the Blur out in Poser 3D as if the background is a real Picture and more realistic then the Render of the asset background needs to be blurred to adapt it to the quality of the 3D model ( A possible theory )  

I was certainly aware very early on that the average Poser / DS female figure was far from average and more like a cat walk model.  Around six foot with big boobs, I doubt if a lot of people got as far as the eyes, and an age of early twenties.  This was a large part of the reason that, when looking for a figure to help illustrate a book (long term goal) my figure was female, a relative five foot, sort of petite in having small boobs but slightly large hips, and aged mid thirties.  Of course there was nothing like that available then and so I had to create the figure, not easy when have no modelling skills and was dependant on buying the content that would / could help me in the quest.  The figure is the result of a load of morphs and a lot of dial spinning while the skin was a few different textures blended by using layers in Paint Shop Pro.

rgQOjpv2vSAeFsnVlHr8Cr6bjveIhYfFrhHJfE9m.jpg

So this is Caoimhe (pronounced Keeva or Kweeva and anglicised as Kiva meaning gently, beautiful and precious).  I am well aware that in the 3D art world my character is nothing special but I do think in the Poser / DS world she is different.   Given my extremely limited skills of a few years ago,  these days less so but I still regard them as being very limited, I am fairly happy with what I finished up and, while I know many others could do very much better, I am not sure I could could complete a similar project with better success today. 

Of course I did make a rod for my own back almost all poses need adjusting as she does not measure up when riding motor bikes and the like.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 7:55 AM
Site Admin
hborre posted at 11:45 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464087

An F-Stop of 2.9 on a camera lens means that the aperture is wide open reducing the amount of DoF.  As your F-Stop value increases, the size of the aperture decreases thus increasing the amount of DoF in the scene.  This is an oversimplification of how Poser handles focus distance and DoF, there are other factors like ISO and lighting conditions that govern how F-Stops are determined on a camera lens, depending on the lens.

Yeah, that much I have. But how do you know how much to adjust it? Aside from trial and error, I haven't found a good way. The default is usually too small, but it's easy to get it too big too quickly. I used to have a script that created a mesh that showed it but that doesn't work with Python 3.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 8:11 AM
Site Admin

There are reasons for cutting off feet. Yes, not wanting to bother with ground shadows is one. Placing them on the ground if it exists is easy. CTRL-D drops the figure. But as you mention, sometimes a background image is used and it might not have a good ground. Other times, it might be a lack of shoes to match the outfit. Or it might be a way to increase the size of the main focus of the figure without enlarging the image. Because, let's face it most people don't focus on feet.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 10:58 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 11:00 AM

Thank you for your explanations and yes: I've noted that: big eyes = big boobs, and sometimes I wonder if they're not "anime maniacs" lol
That being said, the right size for the boobs, for me, is... when I can kiss them (at least) yvEoM9iCM7YWZydN6ndtZgsO96iHm2e4H0f5AxFU.gif

But something we're missing on the Superfly side: Depth Cueing. Maybe there's a trick, for example using the z-depth? but I don't know how to use it, something I'll have to search for.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Thalek ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 11:24 AM
hornet3d posted at 6:31 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464058

Thalek posted at 5:44 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464053

I have to agree with what you have said while, at the same time, I can understand where some people will be very frustrated when they see renders that could be improved with DOF.  A lot depends, as you have clearly laid out, the intent behind the render in question and you can mimic the movies if you wish by running a render followed by a close up which is what I was trying to do on the renders I posted here earlier.

The first has some DOF but the detail of the room is still discernible.

With the close up the DOF has bee further reduced.

This does at least prove it is possible with Poser and the more I play with DOF the easier I find it, but that is from someone who has a photographic background so i can see how some might struggle with the concept.  Even here the focus is fairly tight otherwise her face is in focus but parts of her body are not.

I like the way you simulated the appearance of real photographs; doubtless a result of your photography background. The close up image would indeed have a narrower field of focus (unless one used a zoom lens), compared to the more distant shot.

I quite agree that there are many images that can be improved with DOF, and that it must be frustrating to those with a more discerning eye than mine.  But that's the risk we all face when studying another person's work: we all have our own ideas as to how we would have approached it.  I myself rarely have that problem because I'm fortunate enough to be looking at the works of more skilled photographers and Poser users than I am, so if there is anything to criticize, I'm likely to miss it anyway.  [grin]

I merely wanted to point out, perhaps with a little insight as to my reasoning, that both sides were right, depending on circumstances and their specific artistic vision.  (I'm rather proud of one of my first uses of DOF, where the focus was primarily on the character's expression and the PADD he was studying in his hand. I titled it The Bill, and like most of us presented with a bill, he was not happy with it.  The background was a science fiction corridor and largely irrelevant to what I wanted to focus on.  It's in my gallery, if anyone's interested.)

Thalek ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 11:25 AM
hornet3d posted at 6:34 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464059

The other point not mentioned is the information that Ghostship2 departed in the skating post in that the timing shows that there is very little time penalty when using DOF which has not always been the case with Poser.

Yes, that was something I noticed and was impressed by.  Time required is one of my excuses for not using DOF more often.

Thalek ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 11:40 AM

RedPhantom posted at 9:30 PM Tue, 2 May 2023 - #4464078

A question about using DOF. I can set the focus distance with out problem but how do you figure the fstop? 2.9 doesn’t tell me much. 

There are formulae that can help calculate the "shape" of the DOF bubble that might help until you have a more intuitive feel for it, which I gather comes with the practice I haven't done.

The main problem from a Poser standpoint is that one of the things that affects depth of field, to my surprise, is the size of the sensor.  This is something we don't really know in Poser.  We should probably ask the programmers what size sensor they are simulating.  Still, putting different variables in to the calculator (leaving sensor size entirely alone) might give you a feel for how they interact that might be useful to you anyway.  Using a search term of "calculating depth of field", I found a couple for you.  One apparently has a database of sensor sizes based on manufacturer and model number, the other wants an explicit size.  Since you'll be trying to get a feel for DOF rather than specifically using the calculators for a perfect solution, the sensor size is a little less important this time.  (We really should find out, if we can, though. I'd like to see that datum added to the manual in the DOF section for those people, especially newbies, who WANT to use a calculator for a perfect solution.)

https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/depth-of-field  This is an article on the subject with the calculator added to the article.

https://www.photopills.com/calculators/dof  This is just a calculator.  The first one might be more useful for those of us who are not photographers.

Hope it helps.  Best of luck!

ChromeStar ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 12:36 PM

Most portraits cut off the feet. Because the focus is on the head. It's not just a feature of rendering and animation. You show what is important to show for whatever is the purpose of the image.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:02 PM

Guess?! Here comes posette P4 back alive in P13 , just had to give it a shot .... 

PhZyKaCFQtJWOKxRcTnL6yDr9KoC6wYfvcdmstu9.jpg

ChromeStar

Portraits are something else then cut of feet :) allot of times there cut half way legs, to show the torso so center of render is often torso chest . Matter of fact the stand of a model shows allot of character . Have a look at hornet3d renders there is a expression of leg position. but I guess allot has changed, in time the legs were Important on the females, then the Neck Length, and now well the g O O gle is the center of the Pic .... Poser DS community are a little behind as big Butts is really In at the moment , .... so that might come later as the center of renders :)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:28 PM
Online Now!

Guys, can we get off discussing female body parts at least for a bit please? Objectifying is really rampant right now. I am not a raging prude, but I start to feel uncomfortable with where this is going. 

Thank you.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:31 PM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:35 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

here a little sample of a traditional Poser Portrait :) :) cut of legs and one with legs ( Not Traditional )

Booby trap presented with "Posette Poser4"

IBRcnVNkuNjM3wGlRWW84jiPE8P2nT007QuO48FZ.jpg

jBDL7QuMwVMJFGALbzU72VT6nTKo8kd8G8jitnHQ.jpg

I am sure you did not see the face first ( Just kidding ) well looking at both you might realize that the cut of is somehow wrong ..... as the cut is on the wrong place the render is not framed well .... at least what I think ! 

Thalek ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:35 PM
Rhia474 posted at 1:28 PM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464143

Guys, can we get off discussing female body parts at least for a bit please? Objectifying is really rampant right now. I am not a raging prude, but I start to feel uncomfortable with where this is going. 

Thank you.

Apologies.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:41 PM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:42 PM
Rhia474 posted at 1:28 PM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464143

Thank you.

Well these bodyparts are since decades the main attraction in Poser , artists invested allot of efforts making these as detailed as possible to get the best out of it. And still it is that way and will be, as the Female will always be the first release, and may be, a male will fallow, if not just a morph of the female to complete it a little....

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:42 PM
Online Now!

I am not against nudes. It is the tone of your discussion I am vehemently opposed to. If you don't understand why, I have no place in this forum any more.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:53 PM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:56 PM

Well then either I should put you on Ignore or you do then we do not have to read see the comments that are causing a feeling of being vehemently opposed to .... that is what the button is for .... I personally do not feel vehemently opposed to your comments, but if you feel better then I can hit that button ..... at least it would prevent leaving a forum.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:55 PM

I don't see a need to post nudes in the forums. I don't. I have a few in my gallery because at some point I was getting more likes and comments if I posted a nude. Now I don't give a f***. Folks gotta remember that there are a lot of female artists here that don't need that in there face all the time.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 2:01 PM
ghostship2 posted at 1:55 PM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464153

I don't see a need to post nudes in the forums. I don't. I have a few in my gallery because at some point I was getting more likes and comments if I posted a nude. Now I don't give a f***. Folks gotta remember that there are a lot of female artists here that don't need that in there face all the time.

Guess it was never pointed at you , you make sure neat professional renders, nothing about that. Ok some like it right in there face and others can live without it. a good balance sure does not hurt . A little drama here and there also is a good thing at times, happens in the best families. 

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 2:08 PM

Apologies if anyone upset by my comments, it was never my intent for anyone to feel uncomfortable, forums should be a fun place where everyone is welcome.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 2:09 PM
Online Now!

I'm sorry that this needs to be explained even. Talking about boobs and asses as if they were  independent and inanimate objects, devoid of life, completely apart from the bodies who bear them is what I object to, not a well done and tasteful nude.

I am reasonably sure other female artists here also have done nudes before. I am married to a former figure model,  for chrissakes. I won't derail the forum any longer from discussing renders, thank you for ghostship2 for his support.

Thalek ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 3:38 PM

ghostship2 posted at 1:55 PM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464153

Well said!

It's terrible that someone can make a polite request and have someone else argue that because "it's always been that way", the victims simply have to put up with it.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 4:47 PM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 4:47 PM

More DOF to upset the apple cart. lol

2YH9w9xTurajyOLeR43NgnEbApjlubIgzOCbUPCH.jpg

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 5:00 PM
Site Admin

Rhia has made a good point. This thread was to show off renders. Nude renders are fine as long as they're flagged. But let's be respectful of others.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 5:46 PM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 5:54 PM
ghostship2 posted at 4:47 PM Wed, 3 May 2023 - #4464164

More DOF to upset the apple cart. lol

2YH9w9xTurajyOLeR43NgnEbApjlubIgzOCbUPCH.jpg

Very nice scene, good effect with the Zigarette and the heat coming up from the coffee. A slightly uncomfortable left hand position .... must be a little tense . So the left hand tells a story that she did not have a good day, from that hand position you recognize the true facial expression. My Impression ...  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.