Sat, Oct 5, 6:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 pm)

Subject: Getting DAZ to Recognize Non-DAZ3D Purchases

Clemenceau ( ) posted Wed, 02 August 2023 at 11:16 PM · edited Sun, 29 September 2024 at 2:21 PM

I've seen this topic covered elsewhere, but the recommended solutions didn't work for me.

Problem - *some* of my RMP purchases filed in "My Library" for use in DAZ cannot be located in the program.  These are native DAZ format purchases, but DAZ cannot find them in the Library. 

Previous instructions I received from DAZ support are:

1) Open Daz Studio

2) Go to Edit (at the top of Daz Studio)

3) Click Preferences.

4) Click on the Content tab.

4) Click the bottom button "Content Directory Manager"

5) Select Other Import Formats. You'll know it's selected because there will be an orange outline around it.

6) Click the "Add" button on the left under directory. Browse to the Installation path and click Select Folder.

7) Click Accept in the Content Directory Manager and restart Daz Studio.

I've followed all this to the letter, but still several RMP purchases just don't show up in My Library.  I am running Windows 11, and DS 4.2.1.  It's inexplicable that most of my content filed here works fine, but other content from the same vendor and filed in the same location just doesn't show up no matter what.  Am I interpreting the instructions incorrectly?  When I browse to the installation path as described,  I am browsing to "My Library" and not any subdirectory.

Should I just add the missing items to a completely new directory, and try mapping to that? 

SpookieLilOne ( ) posted Wed, 02 August 2023 at 11:44 PM

Any purchases not from the Daz website have to be manually installed.

*~*Jamie*~*

SpookieLilOne's Store 

SpookieLilOne's FreeStuff 

SpookieLilOne's Gallery 

"Life is just a dream on the way to death." ~The Crow: City of Angels

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2023 at 7:22 AM

I agree, manual installation is the better option when installing third-party content into DAZ Studio.  On the other hand. the suggested method you followed may have installed your content in another location that is not mapped out to the software.

Have you conducted an HD search for the files?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2023 at 3:10 PM

Other Import Formats is just that - non-native files other than Poser. If, as you say, these are native files then are they user-facing files - things like new morphs add sldiers to the figure, they don't necessarily appear in the content panes.

FirstBastion ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 9:46 AM

If you expand the zip file that the product came in,  what folders do have? 

As others have said sometimes manual moving these folders to one of your existing "Content" folders allows DazStudio to find them.

But remember DazStudio is flexible and will search for your files in whatever folder you point to in the preferences/content tab.  You can literally have dozens of content library folders and dazstudio will find them all, and on various drives as long as you point to them properly in preferences. 

Clemenceau ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 11:18 AM
hborre posted at 7:22 AM Thu, 3 August 2023 - #4471767

I agree, manual installation is the better option when installing third-party content into DAZ Studio.  On the other hand. the suggested method you followed may have installed your content in another location that is not mapped out to the software.

Have you conducted an HD search for the files?

If you mean,  have I searched for the content?  Yes,  DAZ can't find it.

Clemenceau ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 11:21 AM
FirstBastion posted at 9:46 AM Fri, 4 August 2023 - #4471883

As others have said sometimes manual moving these folders to one of your existing "Content" folders allows DazStudio to find them.

But remember DazStudio is flexible and will search for your files in whatever folder you point to in the preferences/content tab.  You can literally have dozens of content library folders and dazstudio will find them all, and on various drives as long as you point to them properly in preferences. 

I have the usual folders - Runtime, Data, People, etc.  It all looks as expected.  DAZ can't find this content when searched, but it can find other content in this same directory.  I always thought what I was doing was a "manual install," based off comments I had read about non-DAZ content elsewhere.  Apparently it's more desirable to install in the content library?  Learned something new!

FirstBastion ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 11:54 AM · edited Fri, 04 August 2023 at 11:55 AM

The content folder is a default location that is recognized by DazStudio,  because it ships that way. It will definitely save some headaches if you place the content there.

But you could easily create a  folder named "Rendo" if you wanted to place all your Renderosity purchases in there,  and then use the preferences/cconten tab to point to that "rendo" folder,  and dazstudio would then look for content there as well.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 12:15 PM

Content installation errors are frustrating and difficult to resolve without spending hours retracing your workflow.  DAZ3D zipped content differs from 3rd party zipped content in that they contain a primary folder entitled 'Content' in which all the subfolders are nested in the proper hierarchy found in the DS content Library.  For this reason, DS zips should be installed using DAZ Install Manager (DIM), a better alternative to manually copying folders/files to their proper locations.  DIM will automatically recognize and bypass the Content folder and copy the hierarchal files to where they belong.  This prevents the repeated instance of multiple 'Content' folders that can occur when blindly unzipping files to their destination.  

As to be expected, 3rd party content does not adhere to DAZ3D's zip conventions, so installation should be straightforward.  The problem arises when 3rd party content is unintentionally unzipped into an existing 'Content' folder, which shouldn't exist in the first place, and becomes undetectable by the software.  At this point, the damage is done.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 12:18 PM
FirstBastion posted at 11:54 AM Fri, 4 August 2023 - #4471893

The content folder is a default location that is recognized by DazStudio,  because it ships that way. It will definitely save some headaches if you place the content there.

But you could easily create a  folder named "Rendo" if you wanted to place all your Renderosity purchases in there,  and then use the preferences/cconten tab to point to that "rendo" folder,  and dazstudio would then look for content there as well.

There shouldn't be a content folder anywhere in the DS Content Library.  That is an incorrect hierarchy according to the software protocol.

FirstBastion ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2023 at 9:33 PM
hborre posted at 12:18 PM Fri, 4 August 2023 - #4471898

FirstBastion posted at 11:54 AM Fri, 4 August 2023 - #4471893

There shouldn't be a content folder anywhere in the DS Content Library.  That is an incorrect hierarchy according to the software protocol

That is not what I wrote.  Reread my comment and wrap your head to understand it.

I've been a Daz3D PA for 13 years, and created hundreds of products,  I'm not sure what you know but DazStudio is flexible enough to find a manually created content folder that is placed anywhere on your computer  or portable drive and it will load content and it will work as described above,  except some very specific plugins and some morphs,  and since those are usually from Daz3D a user can install them using DIM or the manual zip files.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2023 at 3:24 PM

A Content Directory can be named and located quite freely, including "Content" (which was the default for older versions of DS). What you should not have is a folder named "Content" from unpacked zips inside the Content Directory, whatever it is named.

Clemenceau ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2023 at 8:48 PM
FirstBastion posted at 9:46 AM Fri, 4 August 2023 - #4471883

I only use DAZ well enough to export to Poser.  Beyond that I an just not literate in the software.  What I can't grasp is why DAZ can find the content I have in the directory structure in the OPost, but can't find this one product, which is filed IN THE SAME PLACE. Why does whatever logic employed in this file structure seem to elude me? DAZ cannot find this product in search either, although it can find the other products in that same directory.

I compare this to putting a bunch of excel files in a file folder, and knowing that when I want to open Excel and access them,  it will recognize them as Excel documents, find them and be able to load them.  Trying to use navigate around this issue is quite the exercise in frustration.   

FirstBastion ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2023 at 7:09 AM

There is a possibility that the one porduct you mentioned is corrupted in some way,  and though you are placing it in the correct location, the actual files inside the folders,  are not readable for some reason.

You can re download and try the updated files.

I had a look back up in your ealier post,  and you mentioned Runtime, Data, People,

The Runtime folder holds the Textures folder, which holds the Vendor's folder.

The Data folder is supposed to have a lowercase "d"  its a small thing but it can cause errors. There can literally be dozens of subfolders in there depending on the type of product.

And the People folder would have a subfolder specific for the generation of figure like Genesis 8 Female.

Store bought products tend to go through rigorous testing prior to release. Freebies may not.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2023 at 3:35 PM

On windows the case doesn't matter (it may on Macs, depending on settings.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2023 at 11:14 AM
SpookieLilOne posted at 11:44 PM Wed, 2 August 2023 - #4471749

Any purchases not from the Daz website have to be manually installed.

I say this over and over again. Get 7zip.
It is free and you can go through the hirachy of the zipped file. 
Open "Content " in the zipped file and choose "My Library" as the target folder and then install.
Done, easy
7ZIP is what you need.

tparo ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2023 at 11:17 AM
Online Now!

Recently I've had problems with 7zip not installing correctly and now use winrar

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 7:56 AM
tparo posted at 11:17 AM Wed, 23 August 2023 - #4473270

Recently I've had problems with 7zip not installing correctly and now use winrar

No idea about those problems. I am using an old version for years and never ran into any issue with it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.