Sat, Sep 21, 4:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Adult Dragon Adventurer :grins:

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 4:49 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:28 PM

file_246000.jpg

Just something I'm working on. Admitedly it's a little silly. I'm really fond of this dragon (much more than the zygote :shudder:) but I'd still realy like to see a good 'realistic' dragon. Or rather something that doesn't look like it came from a children's story book or a disney movie. Anyway.. I'm using thip's mantle, jkeller's rogue top, I don't remember the rest :grins: Any suggestions on making the mantle work better?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 6:12 AM

You are what you eat!

raistlin12000 ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 6:25 AM

Which dragon is that? I've been working on a draconian char myself but getting nowhere.

thgeisel ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 7:08 AM

greatlol raistlin : think its the new dragon available at www.daz3d.com

Valandar ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 7:26 AM

It's MallenLane's adult version of his "hatchie" - a different model, but representing an adult of the species.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

jaybutton ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:56 AM

WOW! I really like that! I have been wanting to make some lizard men with Poser and that is spot on for how I imagined them. The only problem is the wings. I wonder how hard it would be to remove them. I don't yet on this model. Is it possible to just make the wings transparent? If not, I would be willing to pay someone if they wanted to make a morph for this dragon to lose the wings. Thanks very much, Anzan, for sharing this image! Jay

pendarian ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 11:16 AM

Can you make the wings invisible in the heirarchy editor?

pendarian ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 11:18 AM

Sorry Anzan, I hit the silly post button before I could comment...this is wonderful! I really like it, where did you get the mantle? You have done a really good job adapting the clothing to the beast.

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 1:09 PM

Awsome! Looks like just re-mapp the mantel to loose the 'streatch mark' and give the belly/neck area some 'plates' with a good BUM and this guy is ready to ROCK!

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 2:18 PM

file_246001.jpg

Wow... I didn't expect such feedback! :grins: Yes.. you can turn the wings invisible fairly easily.. and I turned everything else invisible for just using the wings on other models (them folding up is VERY nice) The mantle is thip's morphing (?) mantle. you can get it in freestuff. It's great. Anyway.. this without the mantle, I think it works better this way. I didn't do any post effects so there are errors (like the arms biting into the bracers, etc)

jaybutton ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 3:07 PM

Doh! Of course, you can just make the wings invisible if you don't want them! I guess I am still just a Poser newby. =) Jay

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 3:09 PM

It was a valid question... some things don't go invis easily. :grins: And we were all newbies once.. I was about.. er.. hmm... 6 months ago or so.

MallenLane ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 8:00 PM

What do you feel is disneyesque about it?

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 8:50 PM

This one? Not nearly as much as the zygote one. I just see it as too soft, it's actualyl pretty hard to make it seem menacing or inspiring. It's a mythical creature, and we all have our visions of what these things look like. When I see a dragon in a picture or movie or whatever I want to go "wow...." in stunned silence. I want to be awed, amazed. Whether it looks like something that would devour me in a moment or something that would just be.. a dragon. :Grins: I like this adult hatchling a lot... But I'd very much like to see something like the Draco dragon or something to that degree. But hey.... that's just me. :grins; If I could make it myself, I would. :Grins: But I can't and I'm just thankful for what I can get. Anz

MallenLane ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:08 PM

I will see what I can do for some new jaw/face structures. Unless you think the problem is more in the design of the body? Anything in particular you think is lacking. You weren't very specific. ML

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:20 PM

file_246002.jpg

I didn't realize you were the designer :sheepish grin: So don't take me as ragging on it, please. I certainly am impressed with it and it's movement and stuff is excellent. I can do plenty with it... It's just not the dragon I see, understand? As far as being a grown up hatchling though, it's perfect. The body structure is great.... It'd like it to be maybe a little more spiny.. a few portrusions here and there maybe (around the forearms, back of the legs maybe. the spine) As for the face... hmm.. it's hard to be specific but I'll put a pic up. Now obviously this is a bit much for a poser model..... I'm just showing you what I think when I think dragon. I do a lot of fantasy work and when I want to have a battle with a dragon I want it to be something that woudl make my people soil themselves. :Grins:

MallenLane ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:27 PM

Well, there's no way I can go from a T-rex/humanoid style dragon to an animal/lizard (i.e. one all fours) but I might be able to assimilate some of the sharpness into it. I'll work on it. ML

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:30 PM

Oh I understand completely.... I wasn't meaning the all fours bit I was just showing you my "archetype" I like the bipedal aspect. I certainly like what you've done, so please don't feel you need to go to any extra effort. Even though I'm not capable of doing too much making my own models I appreciate the time and effort involved, like I said... that's just the type of dragon I'd like to see - not the type of dragon yours needs to be. Anz

MallenLane ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:41 PM

Well I made the face and head extra polygon heavy to be able to be easily morphed, and then I smoothed it down for release. My thinking was that people would have an easier time of morphing a bland head, in say Zbrush, than otherwise. I already have two morphs that didn't make it into the release that bring in the cheeks and make the eye sockets more bony, and another that changes the eyeshape and brings up the whole jaw for a vertically thinner head. ML

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 9:46 PM

Thats awesome... Because thats what I was trying to do but the tapering just didn't work out like I needed it to. BUt you have a point.. and if I had zbrush :grins: or knew how to use it. Can't market towards the lowest common denominator though (me) :grins: I'm taking classes in 3d design and animation next semester and hopefully I'll learn more about the actual modeling aspect so I can contribue more to this community than my big mouth. :grins: Anz

Lyrra ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 11:11 PM

Anzan, If you're really picky about your dragons look at Bloodsong's DragonFactory. It's a construction set for dragons/lizards/dinos/reptiles. Different bodies, different heads, front legs, hindlegs, wings, extra tails, necks, and then you start adding on teeth, tongues, spikes, spines, fins, ears, horns. And of course almost everything has morphs on it. The heads are super adjustable and come with both highres and lowres versions. The down sides? since the legs/arms/wings/body/head are different figures parented together, posing can become hard. The texture mapping is per piece so it's fiddly to get the same texture showing the same size on all the pieces. Works a treat in Bryce though :) This is great for still images - I think animators would get cranky. I'm just sick and tired of the same old dragons all the time - no offense, but there's only a few out there. At this point I find the DAZdragon less than frightening. :) I think I could put together a beast that looks a lot like your sketch in about an hour or so - more to pose it. I havent tried a bipedal critter yet ... hmmm. Not a plug per se - but I've been making critters with it for the last four days - so ... :) Lyrra

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2001 at 11:20 PM

I've thought about the dragon factory lots of times... 80 bucks is just a lot to lay down.. and I've not heard a lot about it. But after that endorsement :Grins: it's getting easier for me to think maybe some christmas money needs go that direction. I like to have a lot of ability to change things so that's appealing. Hmmm...... :grins: we'll have to see. Thank you.

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 3:08 AM

file_246004.jpg

Here's a quickie preview of the 4 beasties I'd made so far. All mesh except p4horse is from Dragon Factory. All textures except Daio's darkbay horse are mine. This is just a quick render, so the textures aren't optimised for the figures. (lookit that pixel smear!) I wouldn't recomend Dragon Factory for a new user - they should stick to onepiece figures like the terribly cute hatchling dragon. I also wouldn't recomend it for making character figures (like this thread started out with, remember?) unless you're a lot better than I at cr2 hacking. I've had DF for a while without using it - so I'm making myself make 1 critter a night for a week. I'm on night 5 - gonna go make a biped now :) Bloodsong is _not_ bribing me to say this - but she can if she likes :)

Anzan ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 6:57 AM

Wow. I really like that brown one. :grins: Hmm.... we'll definately have to give that more thought. Like I said, I hadn't seen a lot of stuff done with it. :grins: Yes.... I couldn't do characfter with it probably but I'm ussualy not aiming for that with a dragon :grins: Sometimes I just need something to eat someone. Anz

audre ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 10:20 AM

hey there Lyrra... i would love to see some more detailed renders of the dragons you've got posted... closerups of the structure... ? they are kinda hard to make out at that resolution. also, i went looking thru your gallery hoping you would have some of these posted too. i am always looking for new things to use in my work and would really appreciate a good looksee. thanks

Cheryle ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 12:41 PM

file_246006.jpg

i dunno- i think you may be right- Mallen's Adult dragon is a tad friendly at times...

Cheryle ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 12:49 PM

file_246008.jpg

but i dunno - i still like it ;) i find it to be elegant and graceful - just my opinion

Cheryle ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 12:58 PM

and i LOVE what you did with the cloak and the horns- i like both those images ;) very different from each other but both very nicely done ;)

audre ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 1:04 PM

LOL Cheryle... ya that red dragon looks just like a puppy! NOT! i also like this adult dragon. i do think he's intelligent looking -- more brain less animal than most dragons i see depicted. but i am hoping mallen gets us an EVIL dragon morph... (HINT HINT) cause sometimes you just need a nasty fellow for a certain job.

audre ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 1:05 PM

DOH forgot to mention... yup me too ... i love the character... the cloak is a very cool idea. he makes a great lizard person!

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 2:48 PM

The white one is the adult h dragon too? Wow. I really like that pic. :) Now I'm thinking about getting the adult dragon. :) I'll post larger pics of my beasties this weekend sometime. Plus the next 3 I should have done. And no - there are no pictures of them in my gallery. I think I have the daz drag in there someplace - but not a DF dragon yet. You have to set up the dragons before you use them, and I'm usually working too fast to take the 1-2 hours to set up a beastie. Mind you, I've spent days on textures.... Ah well. :) This way I'll have some set up. Right now my favorite is the red dragon, with the brown one coming in a close 2nd. Not sure about the green guy. The red one uses the 'snake' style body - 14 tail segments, 9 neck segments, 5 body segements. Yeesh. You could tie that one in a knot! Lyrra

MallenLane ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 3:51 PM

file_246009.jpg

Anzan: This is perhaps a close to what you were thinking?

jaybutton ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 4:08 PM

Extremely cool dragon, Michael! I need to get this model! Jay

Anzan ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 4:32 PM

Mallan.. that's excellent! I mean just awesome! :grins: And Cheryle... beautiful job on that white dragon. It does look very graceful and beautiful there, no doubt! And thank you both Audre and Cheryle. :grins: I appreciate it.

MallenLane ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 4:44 PM

Attached Link: http://people.va.mediaone.net/mallenlane/Horned2.zip

Here's the morph ziped up. I don't really have enough things gathered together to amount to an "update" yet, so I will just post it here. Let me know what you think

Infernal ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 6:04 PM

file_246010.jpg

The additional morphs go a very long way towards making this dragon mean and nasty enough for my tastes. This body shape would make a good wyvern if the arms could be removed without leaving holes in the geometry.

jaybutton ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 8:51 PM

Hey Michael, I think this morph looks great. I think that if you wanted to sell a whole morph package, perhaps you could add matching spikes down the back and maybe spikes on the elbows and knees, kind of like the drawing that Anzan posted. Just a suggestion, because you obviusly seem to be doing very well without any of my help. =) Thanks! Jay

Anzan ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 12:22 AM

I'm really impressed by the morphs, they work great. Thanks a lot Mallen, you went above and beyond the call of duty. Anz

Anzan ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 12:24 AM

heh Jay... like he said.. you could probably add some spikes but it couldn't be quite as.. aggressive as that pic I posted :chuckles: Can you imagine the polygon count on something like that? wow. But I'd pay 100 bucks for a model that looked like that and had some good morphs easily. Anz

Cheryle ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 1:55 AM

ok i like the cloak one best- i think it's just cause i like cloaks.. but they are both still good...

Anzan ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 2:02 AM

file_246011.jpg

I redid it a bit.. made it look nicer (and made use of this wonderful morph) I'll post it and add it to this high image thread :grins:

Cheryle ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 10:11 AM

heh! great job on getting everything to fit! that had to take a lot pf patience!

Anrax ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 2:55 AM

WOW! i most have that Dragon MallenLane. mail me anrax_ws@hotmail.com

jaybutton ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 11:07 AM

Attached Link: http://store.daz3d.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ZP1&Product_Code=ps_ch050b&Category

I imagine that mallenlane will e-mail you, but the best place to get his dragon is DAZ. I posted a link directly to the page on the dragon. If you already have the Adult Hatchling and mean just the spiky headed morph, there's a hotlink at the bottom of the page to download it. I am glad that this thread resurfaced from the past. I still think that the Adult Hatchling makes a great looking lizard man. I would like to use it as a lizard man, but the only way I can think of removing the wings is to make them invisible and that would leave to big holes in his back. It would be great if someone with more skill than me wanted to make a morph to remove the wings. (hint, hint) ;) Jay

MallenLane ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 4:22 PM

The only way to remove the wings and leave a solid piece is to geometry switch the chest out for a new one. I won't promise I will get to something like that because it requires new mesh and mapping and compatible morphs, but possibly after this next model. The faster method would be a simple morph that closes the hole, which would leave and ugly edged seam. Something I don't like. ML

jaybutton ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 7:13 PM

That would be great if you get time to make it! =) Jay

Anrax ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 6:47 AM

hm im out of money. but if some one can be so nice to give me the (head)in 3Ds or IV. so i can have some fun on SGI Indigo

jaybutton ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 10:04 AM

Hmmm . . . nobody can give you any part of MallenLane's dragon. To do so would be illegal. If you want it, you have to buy it at the link I posted above. Sorry about that, you just got to save your money. Good luck! Jay

Anrax ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 11:31 AM

ok hmmm.. Im geting 370kr(swe) that is 34.95$~ im live in Sweden so it may cost to transport it or? my eng is bad so sorry for that

jaybutton ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 11:46 AM

Attached Link: http://store.daz3d.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ZP1&Product_Code=ps_ch050b&Category

That will be enough money. You don't have to pay to have it shipped (transported). Just click on the link I attached. Click on Add to Basket and follow the links. You will need to have a credit card ready. You will be given the option to download the file from DAZ's site. I am sure you know that the Dragon requires that you already have Poser, but I thought I would mention it, anyway. Good Luck and Have Fun! Jay

Anrax ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 3:42 AM

Credit card !!!Crap!!! i dont have one.... hmm Help!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.