Fri, Sep 20, 5:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Partition against present Poser 5 Activation Security System:

WiNC ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:37 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:53 AM

I have been asked to head up a partition against the present security system that Poser 5 uses.

There are a number of reasons this security system is a worry to a number of us, and I will list them here. Please note that none of these are scare tactics, and all of them have been confirmed through present users of Poser 5, or through Curious Labs own words on this site.

1)Forced registration you HAVE to register your software with your private details.

2)If you do not have access to the internet you have to call or mail Curious Labs for your activation code. This could be both time consuming and costly to people not in United States.

3)If Curious Labs goes bankrupt there is no evidence other then a statement from Curious Labs on this Forum that customers will be protected and still be able to use their bought software. There is no legal statement in the EULA stating that they will supply you with a method to remove the Activation Process to reinstall your software.

4)According to Curious Labs own statements their Security Confirmation Code is taken from the serial/details of your hard drive. Thus if you have to replace your hard drive, or if you install on another hard drive you will need to get a new activation code. This could be a problem for both reason 2) and reason 3).

What if I upgrade hardware in my computer?
Provided you use the same main hard drive in your computer, you will not need to unlock Poser 5 with Curious Labs. Your Poser 5 Response and Challenge codes will not change.
-taken from Curious Labs site

What if I use a program like DriveCopy to transfer the contents of one hard drive to another? Will I need a new Response Code key for Poser 5?
Poser 5 will require a new Response Code if it is moved to a new hard drive. Poser 5 will create a new Challenge Code and will need a new Response Code. You will have 7 days to run Poser 5 without the new Response Code key.
" -taken from Curious Labs site

1. According to Curious Labs own FAQ on Poser 5 registration, if you format your harddrive you will need to get a new key.

What if I need to reinstall Poser 5? Go ahead and reinstall. If you have not re-formatted your hard drive, you will not need to get a new key. Poser 5 will display the same Challenge Code unless you have changed your computers main hard drive or re- formatted it. Simply enter your original, saved Response Code. You will not need to unlock Poser 5 again or contact Curious Labs. -taken from Curious Labs site

What if I reformat my hard drive?*
The Challenge Code is stored on and based on your computers main hard drive. If you re-format your main drive, you will need to unlock Poser 5 again. If you are using the same hard drive you used before, Poser 5 will create the same Challenge Code as it did before. In this case, simply re-enter your saved Response Code. You will not need to contact Curious Labs unless you did not save your original Response Code.*" -taken from Curious Labs site

6)According to their FAQ on their homepage you are only allowed to get 3 activation reattempts before you must contact Curious Labs directly to request a new response code.

How many times can I contact Curious Labs for a new Response Code? *
We currently permit three unique Response Code keys to be generated for your serial number of Poser 5. In most normal circumstances our service department will allow additional keys to be generated. You will need to contact our service department for additional keys.* -taken from Curious Labs site

What happens if I need more than the allowed number of registrations? *
If you applying for a fourth or greater new Response Code key, you will be informed that you have exceeded the maximum number of allowed installations. If you need additional Response Code keys you should send your request to our service department via email or fax. It will be helpful for you to describe your reasons for requesting additional Response Code keys. It is Curious Labs policy to permit our legitimate customers to use our products to their full potential. You may be asked to confirm your registration information to confirm your identity.* -taken from Curious Labs site

As one might see the following security measures by Curious Labs are invasive, and will also cause possible issues to their End-Users.

According to a message from Steve Cooper from Curious Labs they are thinking about including a Hardware Dongle system:
Our security technique actually should allow a portable, permanent, hardware dongle to be used in conjunction with the existing system. We are exploring this option and should have better details shortly.

However instead of allowing us the options it appears that they are going to use this hardware dongle in conjunction with the present security system. This is totally unacceptable, and is the reason why a few of us have finally decide we need to take this next step.

Please if you disagree with this protection scheme, if you are like us and want to see Curious Labs change their present protection scheme for something that is not as intrusive to its users make your voice heard here! Sign the Partition against the present activation scheme.

Again we wish to see a more non-intrusive protection scheme being used, similar to CD Dongle, Hardware Dongle, or even just Serial Number verification. However we are more then open to discussions with Curious Labs, since we understand that they still need to try and protect their software against warez groups, and illegal software activity.

Let our voices be heard as one after all we are the people who keep Curious Labs in business!!
WiNC

FA-Q ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:49 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, violence

You make a lot good points !

WiNC ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:51 AM

I have been asked to quickly state that ANY signature you make on this does NOT mean you agree with Hardware Dongle, or CD Dongle. However ANY signature you make to this partition will mean that you agree with the need for Curious Labs to replace their present security scheme with something less intrusive, and that the best way for them to do this is for them to come to the table and discuss the issues with the community. We use Poser people - if it isn't for us, there wouldn't be a Poser! WiNC

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:52 AM

anything beyond a serial number is intrusive

resvrgam ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:55 AM

Pirates can mutate with the new protection trends but legitimate customers will be the ones stuck suffering the effects of this mess :(

mqshocker ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:55 AM

I love poser as well as the next guy but this is rediculous, Well wont be getting the new bryce or poser from the look of things.... Sad too Cause I like 3d art....Well guess all go back and stay with the old stuff...

Netherworks ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:56 AM

Naw, no dingle dangle dongle for me. I will put up with no such thing, nor an activation scheme.

ShadowWind ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:57 AM

While I am against the idea of hardware dongles, because they assume that there are open ports and often have problems and cause problems that are unrelated to the protection of the software (not to mention what if every company wanted a dongle, where would we put them?), I agree with this petition not to take out the problems on the legitimate owners, when it's almost guaranteed that whatever protection it has will be cracked in days anyway... So basically the warez kitties get software without the hassle, and we who bought Poser 4 and now are considering or have bought Poser 5 get the shaft. Doesn't really seem fair, does it? All this is also very strange after Curious Labs gave amnesty to every pirate they could find...

ablc ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:57 AM

I Agree.

Netherworks ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:57 AM

Bryce going this way too, mqshocker?

Chailynne ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:08 AM

I don't like being forced to register my software. I didn't call Ford and tell them I bought one of their cars so I could get permission to use it. Nor do I call Ford to get their permission to "rent" a Ford car from a rental place. shrug And no, the majority of my software is not registered. It's none of the company's business that I bought it. They got their money one way or the other, they don't need my address, ssn, date of birth, or computer configuration. (by that I mean from the store I bought it from)

SergeantJack ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:19 AM

I agree. Plus, this should have been made clear from the start.

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:27 AM

I agree too, and did you look at the challenge response code? Try typing that in manually after a long day at the office. dongle doesn't bother me, if you need that many dongle apps open at the same time, um, maybe its time to network? I don't mind registering as long as I don't get on a spam list.

Fornit ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:28 AM

I agree with WiNC, and here's another signature in the petition. The current setup just makes for more trouble to legit users and doesn't do anything to stop someone dedicated to warez a copy.

hermith666 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:33 AM

Agree with all the above! I already have dongles for 2 apps in my machine and would not have physical space for a third. Also, I cant imagine what they actually want with all this. One it is a fact that every software, no matter how protected, is sooner than latter cracked, why, then, do they need all this? To bother us, the people who are planning to buy it? And about the registration, I could not agree more with Chailynne. One last word about the legal thing above: poser went from fractal studios (i believe this was the name of the publisher of P1) to metacreations and now to Curious Labs. If not for the money, for the soft then: If I buy something, I like the Idea that this something is mine and that I will not loose it should the company brake down... is almost like saying that if M$ went bankrupt, people would be unable to continue using (installing and re-installing) windows!

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:38 AM

Offering alternatives could be advantageous

dcasey0284 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:42 AM

Add me to the list of those who oppose the new security system...both the Challenge Code AND ESPECIALLY the dongle!!! I've been using 3DS Max for a few years and even after they FINALLY abandoned the hardware dongle and went to the challenge code system it has been a nightmare. Besides, how can they require a dongle at this stage?!! I haven't even gotten my P5 yet and I've already got a headache. Look, I support Curious Labs' right to protect itself against piracy, but I also agree that this system does little or nothing to prevent that. Legitimate customers will suffer the most for this. The pirates will find a way around it, if they haven't already.

Kageboshi ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:42 AM

I agree with ShadowWind... after giving amnesty to anyone who pirated the software, this is ridiculous.

dcasey0284 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 2:44 AM

Let me clarify: I have a legitimate copy of 3DS Max.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:00 AM

I purchased Poser 1 from Fractal Creations.
... Poser 2 from Metacreations.
... Poser 3 from Metacreations.
... Poser 4 from Curious Labs.
... and Poser 5 from Curious Labs.

Hypothetical:
If Curious Labs goes out of business (and I hope they do NOT) and I buy a new computer 1-2 years from now, am I just SOL (s*** out of luck) from using P5?

I DO NOT like this possibility at all.

It is NOT a good way to treat customers.

Therefore, I sign this petition to CL to do something to "protect" it's honest customers without hindering their use of this product.

How about it CL? Please listen to your customers.

The thieves will always be "out there," and no matter how big or strong a padlock you put on the door, if someone really wants to break in, they will figure out a way to "smash" that padlock.

cheers, (?)
Dr Geep
;=|

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Kurgen ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:05 AM

Ayyayayay what a hassle this is all sounding , Im siging!! Considering if my memory serves poser being sold ? once already a system such as this only serves to make the decision wether to upgrade an easy one, Wont be happening while this is in place. Cheers ya all

reiss-studio ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:15 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=867259&Start=1

um, I've included the ONLY quote made from Kupa on the topic of Dongles. WiNC had some great points in the original thread, and had a great idea that Hardware Dongles could be a great alternative for people WHO WANTED THEM AS AN OPTION. Kupa only gave one breif reply in response in the linked thread: "Our security technique actually should allow a portable, permanent, hardware dongle to be used in conjunction with the existing system. We are exploring this option and should have better details shortly. Steve Cooper Curious Labs" Draw your own conclusion, but here I'm pretty sure that they mean that a hardware dongle would allow the same protection scheme without the activation. Not be an Added Burden!!!! from this ONE post I don't know how wince jumped to his conclusion about how it will be implemented... here's winc's original response to the above message: "Steve, Do you mean in conjunction meaning that you will be still require people to register with you and still request activation code from your company - or do you mean that it will be a alterative for those who wish to use your product and therefore not have to go through all the issues with activation codes, and 'forced' registration? I hope you mean the later :) I look forward to your response :) " Since there are no other responses from CL, It's funny to see people saying that CL is giong to force them to use a dongle!! lol

MGCJerry ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:22 AM

I'm suer someone already cracked it... The easiest way is "pre-loaders". Though inheretly unstable, they are possible. I'm pretty sure someone has already written a "pre-loader" that fools Poser to think they are using the same drive when in fact, the loader can be used on any computer regardless of the main drive. These do exist, though not all for piracy reasons, but they are feasble even with hardware dongles... I've used loaders for helping debug programs I'm helping with, and even a few games to help me get past a certian level. That said, I dont like the thought of dongles, I dont have any available space and imagine the hassle if you lost it... Unless if they utilize my audio input, go for it it is the only open port on my comp. I'm one of the types of users I may use one HD to boot, then 30min later, I'm on a new drive, but poser has its own dedicated drive. It wouldnt be so bad if poser kept to the drive it is installed on. I have 8 HD's total (3 in my comp and others networked and are removable). Right now, I'm on a comp of mine that has 2 system drives for this box and another comp of mine. CD dongles are just as bad... many times I listen to music on my computer while worknig and unfortunately I cannot put another drive in my computer so that means I will need to quit listening to music while I work (except another floppy). These things are also easy to bypass... I had a DOS game once that loaded many of its data off a CD though I spent 150MB to do the full install, so I copied the 500MB data file over and bypassed it myself an easy ini file edit was all it took. Needless to say, I've seem many loaders, crackers, editors while on my search to look for cheat codes in some games I bought espeically after I beat them and these "cracks" are a dime a dozen. This point was intended to say that regardless of your procedures it will get cracked, not how, but when... However, dont get me wrong I register apps (the serial, number my name, & email) that have free upgrades or ones I want to register. I've already got a free update to a program I own and that was nice, but its a program I use more than poser. I dont see myself even upgrading to XP because it uses your hardware config for identification... So, that means I'm at Win2k till I go linux. Hence, M$ wont get any money off my for buying XP because I dont want the hassle. I will not knowingly buy any software (espcially if I spend a weeks paycheck on it) to have to rely on the company for the stability of the progam if I can install it... My list: Dongles - Bad Challenge code and verification - Bad Serials - OK (what can I say, I'm used to them and I'm sure most users are) Phone Home - VERY BAD (all non-critial system connections are blocked by my firewall) Even Poser4's network broadcast is blocked by my firewall. less active connections = less open thing to get bombed by a script kiddie. No serial - Ok but I'd prolly have to give my DNA, SSN, school records, my pet, blood signed contract, left arm and left leg. Most likey I wont get Poser5 because of the time hassle with the way I run my computers. So though, Poser 4 is doning what I want it to do. Suggestion to CL if they keep their current system: I'm sure most users install Poser on a separate drive and or partition which doesnt get formatted during the usual format and reinstall of Windows. In this event, make it where it uses the drive it is on for the challenge code. Yes, its still a hassle for people who only have 1 HD, but you wont need to deal with people who have to contact you just because Windows F'ed up, which usually requires a format. Poser4 has stayed on the same drive and put in any computer I use (the drive is partioned into 2 drives one for poser, and one for my stuff). Thus I have one code, and the code will work regardless of the computer I use (so I'll only need another code for my laptop). I understand that you want to protect your software, but the harder you work to put security in, the faster it will fall still leaving the legit users lined up on hold and sending 1000's of emails a day (essentially alienating them and becoming a bitter company that you begin to see your users as a chore). Tosses 2 pennies into the hat I hope I made sense with all this... -MGCJerry Fellow Poser4 User/Addict

WiNC ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:29 AM

Dear Josh, We believe we have made a fair conclusion off what Steve Cooper has said in the other thread. I have asked for confirmation and have not seen any from Steve (and my confirmation happened pretty much right after her made the first reply). This is typical of the type of behaviour from Curious Labs, they will state something, give indication that something will me "made clear" later on, and usually we don't know about it until it becomes final. Again his quote was that the Dongle was going to be used "in conjunction" with the present system. In my book "in conjunction" means at the same time, with something else, not without the other! Therefore our assumption is a fair and valid concern that they will use a Hardware Dongle key for the Challenge Code instead of the harddrive. However, if this is the case, this does NOT bring to question some our other concerns about what happens if CL close their doors, or regarding forced registration, or people who have no internet and are not in United States. Though this type of security protection is better then getting the Challenge Code form the harddrive, it is still not a good system which we can agree on. So - though this petition might be for nothing - we still feel that this petition is just, because of past actions of Curious Labs to just introduce something without concern for the interests of their customers (ie the present security system) we believe this petition warrants being used. We would rather our voices be heard now - instead of after they inforce something else which will be just as intrusive against their clients. Since you responded to the partition I take it you are in agreement that the present security system needs to be removed for something different? If not - I suggest you state so. Yours Sincerly, WiNC

phoenixamon ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:32 AM

MGCJerry, I installed P5 to a separate partition (on a different physical hard drive, in fact) but the registration key is STILL linked to my C drive. That seems not to be an option. So although your tip sounds like a good idea, it doesn't appear it would work. Phoenix

reiss-studio ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:58 AM

"I have asked for confirmation and have not seen any from Steve (and my confirmation happened pretty much right after her made the first reply). " Har, winc, You've got to remember, your post came in at night here in the US. even though steve posted to your reply, he might have done that and then gone home, ir just turned in for the night. I've already said that I think the present security system works great for a LOT of people, and that you have some good points why it might not be good for ALL people. I also thought that it was a good suggeation to add a dongle option. Especially for those who are not able to get to the internet, or want better reassurance and are ready to help with the extra $30-$40 that it could cost to make the dongle. I completely think you're off the deep end for reading so much into what was a quick nighttime response from the President of a Company! Good greif. Try looking for Bill Gates online responding to users concerns. Don't you think it's a little hasty to jump on him for what you think he meant by one word, when he's probably asleep in bed by now? please, I think as a community there's a lot of good people here who can work together. Show me that I'm right. I've got a lot of fun tools that I'd love to develop for people here. thanks! -Josh

WiNC ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 3:59 AM

Phoenix - can you please confirm that if you have Poser 5 on another hard drive, and you format your main drive that Poser 5 requires reactivation? If this is the case - then even if you do use another harddrive anyone reinstalling Windows (which like me - requires a Format C:) will require to get a new activation code from Curious Labs... (please assure me that they were not that silly) I don't know how much Curious Labs put into this security system - but I can't help thinking if they had put that money into Research and Development they could have fixed up the bloody elbows! :-) WiNC

reiss-studio ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:02 AM

PS. just for the record, winc, the "security technique" that would be used in "conjunction" with a dongle could be the tricks/method they use to protect the software, NOT the activation system. this would mean that the dongle could replace the activation system to work in conjunction with the security. Not you're interpretation of it working in conjunction with an activation system. Once again, I'm just trying to be reasonable, and point out where you (might) have jumped to a conclusion about what kupa said. Give the guy a little credit for responding to you in the first place, no?

MadYuri ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:08 AM

I agree. I brought Poser 5 anyway, but if this Activation scheme persist I wont buy P6.

cliss ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:10 AM

Yep put my name on the list. Like Chailynne I too think that when I hand over my hard earned cash for products then I want them to be mine, should we remame Curious Labs, Big Brother Lab's. "And it came to pass that the hallowed el president did say thou shalt only use poser on the last friday of the month west coast standard time". Like others have already pointed out the legite people always and i mean always get the bad deal, and any response to this thread from Curious Lab`s in defence cannot take away the intrusion and other headaches their security scheme is going to cause. How many times have threads been posted where members have shared their misfortune with a cry my computer has died! crashed! gone pop. We all know from bitter experience about having to reinstall. SO NO NO NO to this system of security I want my poser 5 to be MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WiNC ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:10 AM

Dear Josh, And that is the point of this petition - that Curious Labs come to the table and we work on the requirement for security instead of them just imposing a protection scheme on us which is intrusive. I could quote the dictionary of what "conjunction" means - but everyone has one of those. It is a strange word to use, it usually doesn't get "confused" for seperately, individually, or independant of. Therefore while you believe we have come to a incorrect conclusion - we believe that our conclusion is just and correct in the present context of Steve's comments. Until then I will not continue replying to comments about our interpretation of the situation and we will await Steve's response while this petition continues to grow and show our dislike for the present intrusive system. Yours sincerely, WiNC

reiss-studio ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:16 AM

Attached Link: See The Thread With Kupa's actuall comments Here

WiNC, I'm not disputing your definition of conjunction, just what you believe it's working in conjunction with (ie. it work in conjunction with the protection, not the activation) luckily the posts are all here on the linked thread, and people can cleary see that cooper is responding to your request for a Dongle instead of the intrusive activation.

reiss-studio ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:18 AM

And again, I think it's really unfair to say that Steve's "not responding" when it's 2am here in the states

Bug ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:24 AM

Online activation: never liked it, never will. Still waiting to see if this silliness will carried over onto the Mac version.

Ironbear ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:34 AM

It's "petition". A "partition" is what you install Windows to...

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

eirian ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:40 AM

For the record - I have no problem with the current challenge code system (as long as it works as advertised!). But the day they require a hardware solution is the day I stop using Poser. I've got too damned much hardware as it is!

WiNC ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 4:58 AM

Thank you Ironbear for your insight - yes I know I made a mistake... If you don't want to sign the petition for the reasons indicated then PLEASE do not sign - it is our right to have this petition. So unless Renderosity Management decide this isn't allowed please allow us our legitimate right. The petition is against the PRESENT activation security system that Curious Labs are using right now. If you disagree with this security system - please sign - all posts should be seen as agreement with the petition topic... WiNC

Robert Kopp ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:04 AM

no software or hardwaredongle or any similar scheme!! Registration is ok, but nothing is acceptable that,s only temporarly. Robert

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:04 AM

First off, you need to relax some. Seriously. This isn't a campaign against evil incarnate... it's just some complaints and concerns against a security system you don't happen to like.

You're welcome to state your problems/opinions...but it seems a little odd to me the sheer amount of vitriol that seems to be involved. It's puzzling.

Now, since Steve is probably asleep, I'll take a second and discuss the nature of Challenge/Response systems and what Steve might well have meant by "in conjunction". I'll call it C/R for short :)

The Poser5 license system uses C/R to validate your installation. The software uses code to reduce your system into a challenge by evaluating or hashing some parameters. it looks like they are using portions of the inbuilt identification common to hard drives.

This challenge needs to be met by a proper Response, the response is usually generated by combining the challenge with some secret information (like a cryptographic key) to arrive at a response that in theory "proves" that the response could only have come from Curious Labs.

Notice that the basics of C/R don't CARE what communications method you use. They ask for a challenge, they get a response and it's all good. Whether that response is typed in each time, or stored in a file, or transmitted over the internet is completely irrelevant. It is still a challenge/response system in all those cases.

That includes the us of modern dongles.**

In other words, a dongle is inherently a challenge/response system. The dongle contains a small CPU that is capable of performing calculations. Those calculations almost always are used to construct a valid response to a challenge. Since in theory this hardware is a secure carrier for the "secret" information, the publisher can allow the dongle to issue responses autonomously.

So when Steve mentions that thy would be using a dongle in conjunction with the current system he may mean two things, both of which are accurate and useful:

• That the dongle may well be considered another valid source of a response. So the system will happily take it from the dongle, or fall back on the web and manual input methods if the dongle isn't present.
  • That all dongle systems are challenge/response based - and as such the fundamental security code of Poser would not have to change. The architecture and code stays basically the same... a dongle slides right on in.

So if you relax and look at it with some understanding of the security model involved and the code/hardware you see that the phrase "in conjunction" is completely accurate and does not imply that one would need to both own a dongle and get a response code from CL.

Relax.

Personally, I am surprised CL is bothering to explore other options at all. Certainly changing the security model of a product at this date is an expensive consideration - and it certainly reflects well on their desire to sooth community outcry from a vocal few that they would explore the options.

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:06 AM

don't like then don't buy it end of story, stop the bullsh*t & lets get back to what this community is all about.

ziggy3d ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:18 AM

My 'Personal' Opinion on this is that I have zero problem with the current Security system set in place - however the only valid point I aggree with is the need for an additional activation key at a time when the software is no longer supported. It isn't as bad as MAX/Lightwave which can be a pain, with its Dongle and serial number AND Activation codes - but I have had zero problem with eitehr of those two programs. I dont see the problem of you received, with your order, your '1' activation key and this key would be used to install your software as many times as you need to (i.e. reinstalling os, format drive etc), 1 copy per network if that is what you paid for.

jval ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:19 AM

Sure, I'll sign gladly even though I already have my own solution to the problem. Been there, done that, won't do it again. At this point the lingering taste is so sour I'm not sure that I'll get P5 even if the copy protection is dropped. If DAZ does produce a competeting product I will happily go there, assuming they do not also adopt such a protection scheme. - Jack

TygerCub ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:26 AM

I remember when this registration security issue was discussed the first time. After a lot of griping and grief, Curious Labs said they wouldn't do this to us, and would consider another solution.

So I happily pre-ordered my Poser5 copy, believing their word.

Trust no one.

The registration scheme is in place and I'm stuck with a program that will cease to be useable WHEN Curious Labs goes out of business. I don't say "if", but "when" they go out of business because the Poser software has a history of changing hands.

I'm relatively new to digital art. The only reason I originally bought a computer was to work at home. Luckily, I discovered the joys of the internet and gaming, which lead to 3D art. I don't buy much in the way of software beyond my OS, a couple of games and now Jasc Paint Shop Pro, to work with Poser.

Unless it is an online game, like Everquest, none of the other programs required registration. My first ever registration was with Poser, and I don't like it. The scheme is unreliabile and useless against hacking, as was demonstrated by another Renderosity member who displayed a crack code in a previous post.

So... the registration code is unreliable and Curious Labs is untrustworthy. I don't see a reason to continue buying computer programs that will not work when I decide to move on to another system and can't find Curious Labs for support. Consider this petition signed.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:28 AM

Umm... aren't the arguments exclusionary? If it's already been cracked (and it has) then ti seems to me you can't complain it wills top workign if CL goes out of business. The crack will always be there int hose circumstances.

jval ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:38 AM

...If it's already been cracked (and it has) then ti seems to me you can't complain it wills top workign if CL goes out of business. The crack will always be there int hose circumstances. But don't you find it ironic that although this scheme is intended to combat illegal activity it actually encourages this behaviour in the situation you suggest? - Jack

futuramik ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 5:57 AM

well as an international Poser user I'm still waiting for it to arrive, looks like CL and I will be come close friends as I tend to format my drives at least once a year, now thats assuming I can access there site or indeed the net as my connection is dodgy at the best of times.I have no idea wot a dongle is bit if its something that gets installed in my comp, wot do I have to be a tech just to install a program? I have never opened my comp and arent interested in doing so. Wake up CL the warez kitties will crack P5 like every other app, dont make it hard for us honest people

logican12000 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 6:32 AM

Hi all,

I agree. This stuff really annoys me. I am a legitimate user, I do not steal , software or hardware. What makes me most angry is that the system assumes that I will try to use the software in an illegal way and makes me jump through hoops to get at my product. Imagine if every piece of software on your computer used this type of copy protection. Re-formatting and re-installing to a clean system would be a nightmare.

The main thing for me with this type of copy protection is that you are not in control of your purchased product. If you change machines or replace your hard drive or simply want to move the software (I have more than one drive in my machine) then you need a new code. What about when new versions come out. I have software that is over five years old. Will CL still give me a new code in five years time for Poser 5? Or will the response be sorry we are not supporting that version anymore, you will need to update to the latest version at a cost of $XXXX.XX? So now I have a paid for product that will not work. This is not what I pay my money for. I pay my money to be able to use the product at my convenience. With this system I wont have that.

Part of what worries me is that since Microsoft XP, everyone seems to be trying to use this sytem. Imagine if other products were like this. What if they did the same with audio CDs for example? You buy your CD and you get to play it in your hi-fi. If you want to play it in other systems you need to get special keys to make it play. So, after you have keys for the portable and the walkman you want to use the CD in your car. Whoa, hold on!, says the CD maker, youll have to give us a really good reason why you need another key, you already have three! Not a pleasant thought methinks.

What really makes me sad is that we, the users, had the power to stop this already. If every Poser 4 owner had refused to purchase the update then CL would have changed it pretty quick. If no-one had updated to XP then MS would have dropped this challenge response system and used something else.

If the system worked then it wouldn't be so bad but it doesn't. It will be cracked (if not already) and then the pirates will be able to use the product at their convenience on any machine while I cant. So I will not be updating my Poser 4 to version 5 whilst it uses this system and I will stick to Win2K as long as I can in the hope that MS can come up with something less annoying and disruptive.

My thoughts on current systems:
Tying the software to my hardware worst (computers are flaky and need re-installing/replacing a lot)
Hardware dongle bad (ties up com ports and can interfere with the correct working of the system plus I have 2 already)
Serial number + registration OK
Serial number only best

Regards

gryffnn ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 6:50 AM

RE: point number 2 Just to let anyone know who wants to register P5 on a computer that isn't connected to the Internet. I went to the Curious Labs site with my Internet-connected Mac and just typed in the series of short words that is the challenge code, instantly got a new series that is the response code, typed that into the PC - and was off and running with Poser 5 :-) When I get my Mac version I'll likely do it the same way, because I prefer not to use direct registration when given the choice. Just takes a couple minutes longer to do it yourself. Hardware dongles are another thing altogether - expensive, easy to lose or damage, and even pass-through ones can interfer with your port usage. And CD-in-the-drive ones are a pain, too.

petereed ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 6:55 AM

Looks like I won't be getting Poser 5. Sure I would like to have it but it sounds like it will be too much hassle. I saw an earlier thread that it's already been cracked. Shame! I can sympathize with CL for wanting to protect their software. But still, as an honest consumer I don't want to be stuck for all the reasons cited thus far if CL goes under or some other reason which will affect the ability to reinstall. I've already invested a lot of money in all the accessories, DAZ products, etc. To think that there may be a dead end down the road because of CL's needs just spells wasted money to me. I'm not happy about all of this. I am a registered owner of LW, Strata and Cinema 4D. I'll stick with them. I do register most programs as I do upgrade regularly. This is the first time I've gone this sour on a product. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who will buy it and CL will make out alright but my money is hard earned and more important to me. If CL comes up with something more acceptable to the Poser community, I'll purchase it in a heartbeat. As for now, put me down as
NO NO NO N-O to the current protection efforts.

morganza ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 7:03 AM

I'm not even going to bother buying Poser5, it's not that much advanced from 4, and not worth the hassle.

JHoagland ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 7:33 AM

Dang, Ironbear beat me to it: It's "petition". A "partition" is what you install Windows to... And I was all set to sign the partition- after all, partitions seem to make Windows run smoother. Also, if you do get fired up about an issue, be sure you use the correct word- nothing says "unprofessional" more than the word word. Imagine if you tried to preset Curious Labs with a "partition" that people signed? Would they take you seriously? I think they would take a petition much more seriously (especially one that could threaten sales). --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.