Thu, Sep 19, 6:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: A time for change

kupa ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:10 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:12 AM

The past two years and eight months have been nothing short of remarkable for me. I had the pleasure of helping found and drive a company that would take over the development and publishing of the most remarkable bit of software that has ever touched my life, Poser. With the help of Larry Weinberg and some enthusiastic partners, a dozen jobs that had been lost due to layoffs at MetaCreations were saved. A brand was revitalized. And a new chapter in the history of this product could be started.

The first year anniversary at CL came at a time when the golden days of software publishing were losing their luster. The market was about to change. The economy started to weaken. Corporate valuations were dropping. The industry was slowing down rapidly. Funds from sales and investment were getting scarce. And the impact was being felt by every software publisher.

In that second year the most unexpected event in our lifetimes occurred. The tragic news at the World Trade Center set many things into motion. A weak market was further stressed. Sales were impacted as well. And the natural response that any business has when faced with difficult cash flow events is to adjust costs accordingly, ensuring its survival. By the beginning of 2002, the financial picture hadnt changed substantially, and CL had to trim to the bone.

I never really got over those cuts. They were deep, and hit me hard personally. I had to lay my wife off, alongside some good trusted friends that were critical to the day to day operations at CL and to Poser 5. The development plans were altered by these changes as well. Critical resources were in short supply, and promised funding from investment was too little, too late. In the end, timelines were in-flexible and the plans we made didnt pan out.

Today, Curious Labs needs to be able to operate as economically as possible. There is a small core team that is critical to CL and to Poser. That team is intact. They will continue to offer sales and technical support and keep Curious Labs alive and prosperous. This will allow Poser to continue forward. Plus CL sees the wisdom in building partnerships with experienced former team members that can deliver core components to keep Poser growing. There is focused leadership at Curious Labs, and I believe that will guarantee a long life for Poser in the future. For me, there is a different future. Although I will continue to consult with CL on many matters, I will no longer be an employee or a part of the operations. Even with these changes, I will be maintaining a presence in the community. I enjoy the community and love Poser too much to leave it.

Its been a very interesting journey. Ive been given some opportunities that are rare. But now its time for a change, and for a chance to pursue something new.

Sincerely,

Steve Cooper

fauve ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:20 PM

Oh, this is sad, sad news. :( You've been a part of Poser for me since the P2 mailing list. Kupa, best of luck with everything, and thank you so much for all that you've done over the years. I'm glad you're not leaving the community entirely, but the thought of Poser without you on the team is a very strange and sad one.

nexusone ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:20 PM

As always I commend you for your clarity of vision in the face of adverse circumstances and wish you the very best. ...and with a flurry of commotion and sound the moment drew itself into the past.... -nexus

quixote ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:20 PM

I have stated it before, and I'll do it again: You're a class act Steve. Good luck. If you're ever in my part of Canada, I have a "Petit blanc" for you that'll curl your toes. Drop me a line. be well, Q

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

stallion ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:21 PM

Kupa I am at a lost of words!!! but I can say that poser has given me a chance to do something that I may have never been able to do at this cost. Computer graphics and animation of the stories in my heart. I hope the best to you in every aspects of your dreams and adventures CL have been great to the community as well as yourself. your were a rock when the storms of adversity came upon us. Again best to you and whatever you do always remain a part of the Poser community thanks for everything Tim

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:24 PM

Oh my, Steve. This feels like the end of an era. It's sad, confusing, and a little scary as well. To me you ARE Curious Labs. Now you were. It goes without saying but of course I'll say it...I wish you the BEST for whatever you are planning to do. And please don't become a stranger to us. Spit aka Sylvia/Cricket

MachineClaw ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:31 PM

Oh my. I feel as bad as the day I read that Metacreations was closing up. Steve I wish ya well, and happiness in your future.

PJF ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:41 PM

Son of a didley. :-(

rogergordian ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:44 PM

Steve, it really was a hard time for you. I can't imagine being forced to lay off your wife and so many trusted friends. I can't say much more, except that each loss, including your own, means a loss of a vital part of Curious Labs and Poser. I can't help wonder if this is really "The Beginning of the End."

pdxjims ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:47 PM

Steve, Thank you for everything, and the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Niles ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:52 PM

Wish you well, times are getting tuff in every sector of business. Hope we see you here every so often, maybe you can join in some the "how to tips" for P5. Good Luck

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:52 PM

Steve Best wishes!!!! I too was just laid off from a company I was attached too- for 2 years and 8 months-oddly enough. It's extra hard when you put so much of yourself in a company. I was far from alone and one of the cofounders of the company was also laid off- THAT made NO sense! Your being laid off makes no sense either!!! Ironically, before that I was living in Scotts Valley a few blocks from the olde MetaCreations Building. I was in Santa Cruz until then as well. Thanks for all your efforts!!!! I enjoyed meeting you and sharing my art with you- 3, 4 years ago at MacWorld SF. I hope you are able to find a great job My suggestion is to go over to Natural Bridges for a late afternoon walk- watch the sunset- then go to a fabulous dinner at the O'mei on Mission Street. A splendid way to regenerate your spirits after such a heavy blow. Best wishes! Eric

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:54 PM

Damn - Already said it in PoserPros, but Steve, you are a stand-up guy. I hope things get better for y'all, and soon. /P

pokeydots ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:00 PM

Steve, only the best wishes for you on your new Journey, and God Bless you! And most of all Thank you for all you have given us. It is a sad day indeed :(

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

emaleth ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:00 PM

Thanks for your post, Steve. As Fauve said, thinking of Poser without you on the team will be very strange indeed. I have Poser to thank in many ways and I feel my life has been changed for the better. I met Steve way back in the Meta days, shortly after Poser 3 was released, and we became great friends. A year and change later we were all laid off from our jobs at Meta, so Steve and I decided to take our relationship further. When it came time for Steve and Larry to set up CL, they asked me to join them and I gladly accepted. Eventually, Steve and I got married and recently celebrated our one-year anniversary. At some times it also felt that I was married to the company. That is just an example of how devoted Steve has been to Poser. He has lived and breathed Poser ever since I met him and he has inspired me to do so many things in life, the largest of which is to stay true to what you believe in. I was involved in the first round of layoffs just a year ago, and then was brought back on board part time. It is a very sad thing to have to say good-bye to all of this. It was truly amazing to be a part of such a wonderful team of dedicated and talented people and get the chance to work on such an amazing product. The folks at CL became my second family. We stuck together through good time and rough times. Along the way I also made some fantastic friends with artists in the community and hope that those connections will not be lost. I must say that that aspect was one of my favorite parts of my job at CL. I have a background in art so getting the opportunity to work with all of the Poser artists was definitely the highlight of every day. Many of you have touched my life in ways you will never know, and I thank you for that. Please continue to make such beautiful art. You have given Poser a soul that will live forever. In closing Id like to say so long, but not farewell. Sincerely, Karen Cooper

Firebirdz ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:01 PM

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Bobasaur ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1047299

Ouch! I'm *really* sorry to see you go in an official capacity. You've more than earned my respect! This does bring up an opportunity though. Over the time I've been here, I've often wanted to see what you've done, how you've used Poser. I've often wanted to say, "Hey Kupa, show me your stuff!" - not as a challenge in any way - but more as a way of learning from someone on the inside of a program that I've thoroughly enjoyed. [I've still got one of your posts about Poser lighting saved away - it was great to see how you envisioned it being done. That helped me to better understand how I could use the lighting features] I've never asked because I know sometimes one has to maintain a "Professional" relationship and keep one's private life private. Please don't hesitate to come here just as Kupa, the man (and obviously you, too, Karen) and just talk about art, posing, lighting, nekkid Vickies (are they really art?) and whatever else suits your fancy. Oh, and you're both definately still welcome to have one of these [at the link]. Glory, Glory Hallelujah. Hairy balls are comin, to ya, Spastic chills are ripping through ya, Cuz Poser Marches On! Thanks sooo much Bobasaur (I was 7 of 12)

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:33 PM

!

jaybutton ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:36 PM

Thank you, Steve and Karen, for everything you made Poser to be. You are both great people, I am sure there are great things ahead of you. I am glad to hear that you plan to continue to be a part of this community. We want to have you around. Don't listen if someone adds a nasty comment to this thread. I know that the hearts of Poser community at large go out to you. With God's greatest blessings, Jay

Arendar ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:42 PM

Hi Steve; I am saddened by the news that you leaving Curious Labs. You have been a "human face" to an often impersonal corporate entity and in any business, it is the trust and relationships forged over time that are important too. The initial issues with Poser 5 notwithstanding, I have always felt that you were a positive force in the development of Poser. It is a pity that you could not stay on to chart it's future direction. May you continue to succeed in your new endeavours. Cheers, mate!

PabloS ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:44 PM

Steve and Karen, Your leadership and poise thru these tough times has been truly inspring. You brought to Poser a face...no, a family. I have no doubts that we will see evidence of your energy and passion again. Best of luck! Paul

emaleth ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:46 PM

Thanks Jay. Nasty comments won't really bother me any longer; I think we've been through the worst. ;) We'll see you around in the Cruz, and in the forums. Who knows, maybe now I'll actually have some free time to create my own Poser art. :)

Don ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:51 PM

Godspeed, wherever you're going...

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 8:55 PM

kupa, This is indeed sad news. For a time I lived by Natural Bridges and as nice as that was, A walk Along the beach between New Brighton Beach and The 'cement ship' pier always made me feel better. This time of year you might see seals swimming along shore looking for shell fish - or perhaps visit Old Monterey. I miss the Santa Cruz area - If you can, don't leave it! - TJ

kayjay97 ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:05 PM

Steve and Karen, I wish you both all the luck in the world. YOu have been through some good times, some glorious times and some rough times withing the Poser community but you both have shined steadfast as a friend to the community. I thank you for bringing Poser to where it is.

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:14 PM

Steve and Karen, Thank you, both, for your parts in giving so much to so many ... you are both stand-up folks who deserve nothing but the best. You know what they say ... when one door closes, another opens. I have a feeling that, before long, you'll be walking through a VERY wide one 8-) Best of luck and stay around!

MaterialForge ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:18 PM

kupa, best of luck with whatever you decide to do! Make sure to drop in and say hey from time to time. After reading the press release, I sure hope this isn't another "Metacreations refocus strategy"... Thanks for everything you've done to help us tell our stories, make our artwork, and have a little fun. All the best, --silver

jjsemp ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:22 PM

So sorry to hear this. I hope this isn't a portent of bad things to come. To all the whiners, naysayers and complainers who've tried very hard to damage Curious Labs' reputation over the past few months...are you happy now? This is clear proof that if we don't all band together and support each other, AND SUPPORT THIS SOFTWARE, we could lose EVERYTHING. NOBODY benefits if CL goes under. Not even Daz. And I hope this very bad news of Kupa leaving is a wake up call to all the critics. If CL goes under, ALL Poser users LOSE. Just my $.02 --jjsemp

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:22 PM

Good luck to you both, hope everything goes well for you. Marque

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:30 PM

Karen and Bikermouse, The best of luck to you Karen in whatever new exciting directions your lives take. I hope you both can find or create a lifestyle that brings you joy and connectedness. Whatever you do, I hope you can do it as passionately as you both contributed to Poser and its community. Bikermouse: The New Brighton walk is another favorite of mine! I miss living is Santa Cruz! Now that I am laid off- (AND the weather is supposed to be NICE this week and weekend) I am going to have to visit SC! I am just about 60 miles away in the East Bay. I'll put in a good word for you with the dolphins and seals at New Brighton! Best to all Eric

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:36 PM

Steve, I have been with Poser since version 1....through the Meta. deal. and so forth. Its been a long, wonderful road.... I really appreciate all that you have done for all of us...and I want to personally thank you for your gracious, personal assistance, in helping me to work an equitable solution to my Poser 5 problems.... This is truly shocking to me, and obviously the entire Poser community....there have been some hard hits recently, but I respect your integrity overall, and realize you guys were having some hard times....and the moves today are indicative of that fact. Good luck to you and your family going forward...

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

wgreenlee1 ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:40 PM

Give Newtek a call. You would fit right in over there. They are a buncha hard working good folk just like you and I'm sure they would love to hear from you. Take care and hope to hear from you soon!

Orio ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:43 PM

I read this just after having played a bit with Poser 5 and, after a couple of nice renders I made, having thought "this application is much better than many people think, and it doesn't deserve all the bashing it had to suffer lately". Just the time to think this, and i read of your farewell. This makes me sad and, having been around also in 1999, it sounds like a strange dvu of what happened then, with your farewell at the time and the promise that you would have still visited the Poser list (then at Onelist.com) from time to time... With one difference. Then, it sounded like there was a way to continuation. Now, it sounds like a final chapter. Damn, you didn't deserve that. Poser is you, under many respects. Anyway, best of luck for your future initiatives, and my best regards. - Orio

Flak ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 9:43 PM

All the best to you and your wife, Steve. May the next journey in your life be just as remarkable, but with a hell of a lot less bumps. Anyway, on the bright side (as a few have mentioned above) now you can post here as Kupa the artist, not Kupa the CL dude ;)

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Bobasaur ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 10:03 PM

Since you're new here, a friendly word of warning - it's not a good idea to refer to anyone here as a "dufflebag". OK, OK, I know it's silly. I'm just trying to cheer myself up by treating you like a friend! I've sat here for the past hour and a half staring at my beloved Mac in a depressed stupor. Ouch! Ouch! OUCH!

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

arabinowitz ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 10:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.allbetsareoff.com

That bites. Steve - All the best. I'm sorry to see you leave CL, (and I know this sounds trite) but as I've learned from tough times, forced changes bring new and better opportunities - especially for someone with your abilities. Thanks for making CL the kind of user-friendly company that it is. Thanks for revivng a product that means so much to so many people. Good Luck. Aharon Rabinowitz

ScottA ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 10:15 PM

As long as you have eachother. It doesn't matter where you work. Times are very tough these days. All you really have are eachother and your family. I wish you both a safe landing someplace else. You have my number. If you need a refrence. Or just someone to talk to. Don't hesitate to use it. Onward................ ScottA

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 10:20 PM

I'm so sorry. I'm afraid, being somewhat new to Poser (v.4), that I don't have many old memories of you, Steve, from Poser 2 on, but the memories that I do have I will cherish always. You have been a guiding light in this community, and truly an upstanding individual (through good times and bad). And while the old CL Employee Steve will be gone, I very much look forward to seeing this new Steve Cooper in action. From the announcements that have been made, I can't say I have much faith for Poser in the future, but if you are sure of its long life, then I have no choice but to trust you. Who can say what has still to come, I suppose. Thank you, Steve, for everything. You probably don't know who I am, but rest assured that I will remember you forever. Best of luck, Aaron Mickelson

oak77 ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 10:28 PM

Steve, I'm terribly sorry to hear that bad news! Thanks for all the hard work, it certainly has been appreciated by all here. Seems like a rotten day, but hopefully it can just be a new beginning with new opportunities and renewed success. Best of luck to you and your family. -Oak

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 10:34 PM

Let me just say that while I am a died in the wool done in Bryce fan, Poser is one of my MOST IMPORTANT apps to support this! Done the laid off thing and I want to pass on my best wishes to you all and a word of thanks for making my art possible through the years!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

badmoon ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 11:33 PM

What a crappy way to start the new year! Really sorry to see you go Steve. I can only wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do now. Oh, and please don't be a stranger to these forums..... All the best....... -- badmoon

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 11:49 PM

Bobasaur, I know how you feel. Stunned. I talked to Steve 3 hours ago, and am still wiping away the tears. This hurts on so many, many levels. These aren't just employees, but the heart and soul of a company. I've hugged most of the folks at CuriousLabs, and there isn't a one of them that wouldn't be welcome to drop by my home for a cup of coffee. Good people. Karen and Steve have been the outward faces, the evangelists, the enthusiasts... but each one of the people leaving has contributed something very special to Poser. They worked so hard to bring us a tool so that we could all be more creative. CuriousLabs might have a better chance of surviving if it is leaner... but it won't be the same. I can only hope that Steve and Karen and the others have an opportunity now to express their creativity, too, just for themselves. They have my very best wishes and hopes. Carolly

madriver ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 11:57 PM

Thank you for a fantastic product. You have truly pushed the art of 3D forward in a way that is visionary. Best of luck. One door closes, another always opens...

hmatienzo ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 11:59 PM
Online Now!

I'd hate to see Poser in the hands of people who just see it as a money-making product now, instead of the enthusiasts who held it close before... What a sad day.

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

EricofSD ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 12:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=869221

Steve, I was looking at your IM again and that link of the pic or your wife is tremendous. You hang on to her. She's worth not working overtime for. I'd like to remind everyone of this thread. I wrote this tribute on August 13, 2002 shortly after P5 was released, and today, it stands the same morethan ever.

ghost13 ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 12:18 AM

it is sad that the one thing that is constant is that things change... that being said ... i hope that the silver lining shines on you ... best of luck i'm sure that your skills will fly you to better times... just let us know where you land ;-) so that we can follow ya there

EricofSD ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 12:23 AM

Er, September 13, but you all get the drift. There's nothing I could add to it.

leather-guy ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 12:45 AM

kupa - emaleth Melancholy news. Wishing you both great success and satisfaction in your next endeavors. Hope you'll hang here when life permits... Peace.

HandspanStudios ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 1:04 AM

I'm also very sorry to hear that. :(

"Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair."

Annie Dillard

DefaultGuy ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 1:14 AM

Hey Kupa,

I just want to publically thank you for your leadership, resilience, friendship, humor and support, and for letting me be a part of your whacky Poser world for the past seven years.

That long ago, I started working for the newly formed Metacreations after my stints at Apple Computers and Electronic Arts. I got the opportunity to work not only on a fantastic software called Poser 3, but with the people who made the product, y'know, the names on the box: Steve Cooper, Larry Weinberg, Seath Ahrens, Jianhua Shen, Walter Hunt, Joe Grover, Steve Rathmann, Steve Yatson and Karen Cooper. I was very pleased to find that this team was a down-to-earth, energetic, on-the-edge humorous and a bit off-center group of talent. The bonus for working on Poser was that this team would also become the people who I'd make lasting friendships, be a part of their lives, see families grow (...and eventually make them into Avatars ;)

In 1999, when Metacreations finally closed the doors, I thought I bade my last farewell to my Poser workmates and friends, and life would continue. But that was never the case because you and Larry formed Curious Labs Inc, you personally sought me out and offered me at chance to work on Poser again. For that, I am forever grateful. Thanks for letting me continue my working relations and my seven-year friendship with you and Karen, Larry, Shen, Joe, Rathmann as well as the rest of CL.

Those past two years of economic and financial shortcomings were a heavy on you and on the company. Again, I thank you for your leadership, resilience, friendship and support during those times.

The DefaultGuy, DefaultWife and DefaultKid wish you and Karen and your family all the best in life,

-Brian

kupa ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 1:18 AM

Brian, Don't make me get all sniffly again. ;) Cooper

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.