Mon, Sep 16, 10:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 6:31 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: So Long...Farewell

Jenai21 ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 4:49 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 5:17 AM

So long farewell all...this is ridiculous I've lost about 90 images that I don't have backup too (which is admittedly my fault)...I just got over losing my entire harddrive and I haven't had the time to back up any of my older (pre-October) images...so all of my work is gone... However even if I did have back up it is completely ridiculous to have to re-upload hundreds of images......this is so upsetting to me...I honestly don't believe there is no backup and I feel lied to which hurts the most...I've put up with a lot of crap from this site but I always told myself... "the people(artist) here are so nice and what do you expect for free" now I feel like this is too far...I lost a substantial part of my life foolishly relying on Renderosity...even a free site has to have some standards of service and up until September Renderosity did have a tolerable (some may even say good) standard of service...I don't know what happened but this site is losing a lot of great people behind huge and completely avoidable mistakes...so I just wanted to say thank you to all the artist on this site...you guys have been great and its been a real pleasure getting to know you guys and I have been truly inspired by your work...thanks for everything...Jenn P.S. I do plan on leaving what's left of my gallery up and when I find someplace to call home that has a reasonable standard of service I'll upload a final image letting people who like my work know where they can find more

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 5:04 PM

Sorry to see you leave but loosing 90 images is indeed very upsetting. Since this is the second time it happens, I have a backup of my image on my own site. The problem ism even if the images are still stored somewhere, if you don't have the association between images and their number in the database of the site, there is not much to do other than look for needles in a big stack of needles. Even if the site had a backup, it would mean reverting back to at least a day, which would lose whatever happened in that time and would not be acceptable either.

ShadowWind ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 5:06 PM

According to Tim, the pictures will be back shortly due to file permission issues...so hang tight....

Jenai21 ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 5:38 PM

Thanks for the new info...I will definitely wait until this whole thing plays out before doing anything permanent...Jenn

ScottA ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 5:43 PM

NoNoNO. That's not the proper procedure Shadow. First we take advantage of a free web site. Pick the sucker clean. Then we keep begging for more free stuff. Then we plead and beg for faster service and more options (free of course). Then we stand on the tallest hill and cry "This Sucks!I'm Leaving" Then we realize we just walked away from more free stuff we've ever had. DOH! Then we create a new account. And try to slip back in and pretend like nobody notices us. Got it? ;-)

ScottA ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 5:47 PM

I was going to delete my post since Jenai came to her senses. But I'll just leave it there and turn it away from her and point it towards all the other 100,000 members who are going to pull this same move in the near future. :-)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 7:51 PM

Looks like Tim and our site tech(s) came through. I skimmed through your gallery, looks as if everything is back where it should be. Now you don't have to leave us...;o) I would suggest though, start downloading your own pics and archive them again on your hard drive. Whether a website is free or paid for, nothing to do with computers are 100%. Be paranoid when it comes to your artwork, lol. AgentSmith Mod

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

DarkElegance ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 12:26 AM

Scott... renderosity doesnt give freestuff the artists do. Renderosity offers free services such as the forums one upload a day gallery and a homepage. true. but guess what you can get far more at other sites. three most leave renderosity not because of lack of freestuff but because of things like the lady cherry incident{coughs~still no answers on that~} and because the copyright issues and refund issues. those are not namby pamby reasons as you are makeing out to be. and btw. everyone here as most of us make friends and some people like to know when an artist is leaving, have a write to make our feelings known. that is what the forums are for. when you tell people "here are the forums for you to speak your mind tell us your ideas and btw you can complain and give us suggestions" then you cant complain when people do exactly that. People here get involved. and they have a right to be upset when suddenly they are facing{or potentially were facing} uploading 90 images. the originating post was correct many totally avoidable mistakes by renderosity could save so much grief and loss of members. as for the whole free stuff deal heck you can go to geocities and open as many accounts as you wish link them together and have as HUGE a gallery as you want FOR FREE. there are HUNDREDS of sites with free things offered for use such as props etc. renderosity is not the only place. BUT it is one of the places where the members are active and involved. what is so wrong with that?

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

simdragon ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 12:55 AM

not everyone's galleries are back to normal yet, but I'm glad Jenn's is. :) I was lucky...I keep my gallery images down to about 36 at any given point in time, and only 'lost' 4 images, which I was able to reupload immediately after reading what was going on.

Tormentor ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 1:35 AM

I'm not a merchant so I'm satisfied of the free services renderosity offered me: I've my gallery and a lot of friends here. I don't know why someone pressed the panic button when they have such a little problem...

Posette, and no else ! Posetteforever

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 5:18 AM

Bless you Tormentor. You're a dying breed. These days it's all about. Gimme, gimmee, gimme. ME,Me,Me. Mine,Mine, Mine. "What!?You want me to actually work for a living!?" Can you tell I'm not very imnpessed with humanity in general? ;-0)

deemarie ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 7:04 AM

This was all my fault and I take full blame for the misunderstanding, and you can not even know how horrible I feel that I put even one person through the trouble of uploading their gallery images when they did not need to. In my eagerness to get a message to everyone to let you know what had happened - I misread a communication from the programmers. I promise to not let this happen again - and will be more diligent in the future to be sure and check my facts over serveral times, before posting to the community. I appologize to everyone, and I am as happy as everyone that the images are all back up and running again. Sincerely, Dee-Marie

Jenai21 ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 7:56 AM

Hi all...thanks for the immediate emails letting me know what's going on...it prevented me from doing something stupid like deleting the x'ed out images...I would like to address some comments. 1) I'm not begging for faster service or more options...I was asking for decent (not even good) standard of service which includes not completely erasing someone's gallery...since I only came to Renderosity in Jan. 2003 my entire gallery was gone not just a portion...also added to that I had no other way to get those images back (my fault I lost my harddrive and still haven't had time to backup my images)If your an artist you know that this is not a LITTLE PROBLEM...losing your work is like losing a part of yourself even for a hobbyist like me it's a big deal to find nearly your entire gallery is gone and according to the powers that be...it will never come back, but the good news is what's left is safe...2)Another thing is that Renderosity is a community and like every other community it has to answer to it's citizens for its mistakes...I'm not asking for blood, sweat, and tears...just a bit of common courtesy (Dee-Marie more than did this I felt her apology was well-timed and sincere and her actions completely understandable)...3)For years Rendeosity has been the best and even as a lurker this was something I noticed so when I finally joined I had come to expect certain standards but lately (since about September) Renderosity has been going to hell..its been isolating it's artist...pissing off the merchants...and shafting buyers...but as long as merchants still upload to the marketplace this site will be popular but there are times when people have to say enough and if I had lost about 90 irreplacable images I would have definitely left and I would have left the same message because my friends here and people who follow my art deserve to know why I left and where I'm going from here and the forum is the appropriate place to do it. I didn't complain about a lot of things in the past because as we all noted it's a free site but you can't just keep letting someone walk over you just because the services they supply you with are free. My saying "this sucks, I'm leaving" is my right to do so and in this case it wasn't unprovoked and it wasn't after not getting my way in restoring the 3 a day upload limit... :) Although I would love to see it come back... :) I enjoy the people who inhabit this site, I rejoice in their work, and even if I don't always agree with their opinions I at least respect them and that's all I ask back is respect from the powers be to the artist that have made this community what it is and feel forced to leave because the adminstration made huge, avoidable mistakes and didn't even have the decency to apologize. I did react to soon but I feel my reaction was understandable and once again thanks to everyone for personally emailing me or IM'ing me because it really helped me to calm down and think rationally...Thanks for showing interest...Jenn

deemarie ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 8:22 AM

Hi Jenn,
I truly hope that you will reconsider leaving Renderosity. Your images are so beautiful and your artwork has been so well received by everyone, that it would be a great loss to the community for you to leave.

I am going to be very selfish here and do a little begging. Again, I regret that my hasty posting about having to reload your images played a part in your decision to leave.

Please take a day or two to reconsider. We would all miss you greatly if you left.

Again, please accept my apologies to you personally, for my being a part of you wishing to leave the Rosity Community, and I sincerely hope that you will change your mind and stay.

Sincerely,
Dee-Marie

ShadowWind ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 12:10 PM

Scott,
I don't think there is any artist on here that leeches Rosity's services without giving something back. Such donations though come in many forms, all in the end, help Rosity to achieve their goal of selling their product and making a living. Some give hours of their time to help others, voluntarily, some put up artwork for us to enjoy, some are friends when we need one, or provide free stuff items that we can download. Rosity provides the bandwidth and opportunity, but without the people, there is no Rosity. Without Rosity, there is no bandwidth and services. We give to eachother. So I'm not sure I understand your position in how we are all leeches that should just accept whatever is thrown at us and like it.
Again, this was a mistake, Rosity fixed it, and although it was handled a bit oddly due to some simple misunderstandings (and again Dee shouldn't beat herself up over it, programmers are a cryptic lot), all is good in my thoughts in relation to this matter, but I can certainly understand if someone felt dejected and left. However, I hope no one did, including Jenai who does beautiful work.

ShadowWind

Tormentor ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 3:33 PM

... Only to say that with "little problem" I mean a problem solved in a short time. I thought it was impossible they have lost the backup of the site, so, at last, the problem was very little. However I have a copy of my pictures on my hd and backup cds and I never trust completely of a site for storing informations, so, ok, it would have been a loss of time but I could easily create my gallery again. I own a little site and I know that this kind of problems could easily happen.

Posette, and no else ! Posetteforever

DarkElegance ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 3:36 PM

aye I didnt even have to go reupload a single pic{though I am obsessive about saving my pics and pz3s it truely is scary} and also erm. quote-These days it's all about. Gimme, gimmee, gimme. ME,Me,Me. Mine,Mine, Mine. "What!?You want me to actually work for a living!?" who are you talking to??? I believe every single person in here works!! I know I darn sure do and support my family so I dont know where you are insuating anyone here doesnt work. Hate to tell you this but every single artist here by uploading is giving as with out an artist uploading a pic there is no gallery it is just like Shadowwind said. no artist no rendo.

Commission open.

deemarie ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 3:37 PM

Thanks for being so understanding Tormentor :) Dee-Marie

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 6:28 PM

There is NO excuse for getting mad and pulling out of here in a huff before thoughly researching the facts and talking to an Admin. first. None. It is innexcusable behavior from a child. And it is most certainly inexcusable behavior from an adult. If you condone this type of behavior. It will grow out of control. All you need to do is look through the archives of this site to prove that. This site is a glowing testament to that very fact. It's time to knock it off.

Hellmark ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 10:53 PM

Scott, you're not one to really comment on childish behavior. You're acting the same way she is (actually worse in my opinion for dragging it on), so how are you any different? While, I'm not saying you are wrong, you could have acted a little better about this instead of throwing a tantrum.

deemarie ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 1:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez?viewLink=193

It is ok to post messages that you are upset with specific areas of Renderosity. However, when posting to the Forum, please be respectful of all member's feelings. Please consider how you would feel if someone said the same thing that you are about to post about you. Thanks everyone to your for your consideration in this matter. **Member/User Conduct:** Members and users are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is constructive and respectful of others at all times. Additionally, we would hope that each member/user would do their best to facilitate a culture of collaboration and positive reinforcement, so that we can all share our passion for art while realizing our personal ambitions, and developing friendships.

Hellmark ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 1:54 PM

I know that I treated scott no differently that I'd expect to be treated.

deemarie ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 1:56 PM

Hi Hell - :)

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 1:42 AM

I am sorry but the attack that Jenai got from scott..the whole thing about gimme gimme gimme and the whole work comment was uncalled for. simple as that. no one in this thread was griping about free stuff or any of that. he made it sound like people dont work and just leach off of here. sorry but it did ruffle feathers. It was crass and rude and actually it had nothing to do with what Jenai actually posted about. she was upset about the gallery thing and about service in the market place[from what I can tell of her post} MP...not free things. so the whole deal was just .....poopy! his post ..made it sound like everyone is out to rip off renderosity and be sneaky about it...and this was suppose to make us all feel warm and fuzzy? it is really a surprise that feathers got ruffled? ~shakes her head~ as for anyone leaving in a huff or therewise...I think anyone that is unhappy with something to the extent that they get honestly upset has a right to leave. and if they wish to post it ..as I said some here like to be informed when artists leave.

Commission open.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 2:20 AM

I think that if I lost 90 images and realized that I had no backup of my own, I would walk away disheartened and questioning where to go start over and make it up to myself, reguardless of who was to blame. Apparently, it did NOT turn out like that. Whew. By the way, I endorse the program GoBack 3.0 ... It saves the information to restore your entire hard drive(s) to a previous state, and it gives you 10 to 20 different restore points to choose from over the last couple of weeks - every time you start your computer and every midnight it creates a new restore point. It lets you change EVERYthing back, too... even installed programs, registry changes, settings, deleted files, things you got stuck with over the internet... and during the restore, it gives you a list of all of the new files that you have aquired to rescue or to delete all togeather. It's really saved me a couple of headaches.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 2:47 AM

ohhh now THAT sounds like something I could use!! when I formated I lost so so sooooooooo bloody much. thank you for the tip!!!

Commission open.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 3:07 AM

It's made by Roxio I think you can get it at Fry's or Best Buy. It's really worth it. Another neat aspect of GoBack is that you could set up your computer and every morning have it go back to that state. That way, no matter what anybody does, your computer ends up just the way you set it up. Of course, you would have to have any saved files on a CD, but it has endless potential for a business system plan. I'm not actually doing that; I just pull myself out of mistakes... heh. 8p

deemarie ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 3:45 AM

Great posting FrenchToast :) Go-Back has saved me SOOOoooOOoo many times - I cannot even begin to count them. Not only will it recover your hard drives - but you can also "just" recover specific documents. Of course as with all programs - there will be a variety of opinions as to how the program has worked for them. But I personally feel my Go-Back software is as important as my anit-virus program :) Of course, it is still always a good practice to remember to backup on a daily basis! But for those times that you forget, or that the power goes out, or you get the dreaded blue screen - Go Back can be a great friend :) Dee-Marie

ScottA ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 2:27 PM

Thanks to for setting me straight. This place sucks! I didn't get treated like a king! My gallery isn't linked to from the front page! My tutorial has been #1 for years. And Renderosity hasn't paid me a dime! The MarketPlace didn't make me rich! I'm leaving! Ahhhhhh. It's so nice to finally act like an adult like the rest of you. ;-)

Jenai21 ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 2:52 PM

Hi all...sorry haven't been around in a while...I'm quite suprised to see that this discussion has continued...as far as I'm concerned the issue has been resolved between Dee-Marie and I. I realize I acted too quickly but the provoction was extreme as far as I'm concerned...I'm just glad everything worked out and I got all my images back...and thankfully they are now all backed up...and thanks FrenchToast for letting me know about Go-Back that is definitely something I should invest in seeing as though I've lost my hard drive 2 times in the last year... :) I think I've meet my childish limit for the week so I will chose to be an adult and say Scott, your right we should just all just roll over and allow Renderosity to do anything they want after all it's there site we should just be grateful they allow us lowly humans to post our art which brings consumers to their site to purchase from their marketplace where they recieve a substantial portion of the profits...I mean how dare we voice an opinion about our thoughts or feeling or object to anything especially when all we do is buy stuff from here and post it, thereby convinicing others to also buy...we are all users and abusers of Renderosity who should never try to improve a situation even when a site and its administrators frequently ask for suggestions and encourage feedback...and without people like you defending the integrity of this site Renderosity would surely be a memory by now...so thank you for all your hard work...sincerely (not)...Jenn

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 4:14 PM

~covers her mouth to stiffle the giggle~ omg Jenn that was beautiful! as for the gallery thing....I was lucky I didnt have the red X of death but trust me If I had...{even WITH my pics backed up} I would of been twitching too. you are right when you make a piece and you have your heart and tears in it it is tramatic to suddenly look and find them all gone. BUT Scott you are ....~smiles sweetly~ being abit childish yourself dont you think? no one is making the claims you are saying but it seems you run in scream these things and run out. seems abit of attention getting to me. Dee Marie...dont worry it seems you are being overly hard on yourself. please dont. Enjoy the holidays and eat cookies and drink hot cocoa :) just chill and relax.

Commission open.

SWAMP ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 4:20 PM

Glad your gallery is back to normal,Jenai21. I understand how that would be very upsetting to you. A little OT here about GoBack... The "System Restore" that comes with WindowsXP,is a licenced version of GoBack to Micro$oft by Roxio(as a lot of other things,like their CD burning softwear). I installed some softwear one time,that just messed up everything on my box...overwrote important files,changed the regestry,etc.,etc... After several hours of getting nowhere,I decided to try system restore....I felt like I was in the "TwilightZone". It was like it never happened..everything was back as it was. If your OS has "SystemRestore",take the time to find out what is does...if it doesn't BUY GoBack. SWAMP

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 4:32 PM

I know the cable server I have my net through has a support folder that when I peeked in it seems to make a back up of things. not quite sure yet if it does the same thing or not. I dont have XP I have W2K but defffffffffffffffffffinatly going to go look into the GoBack. after loosing my address books and addies I have had since I got the puter and loosing so many other files ...trust me I want to safe guard the HD as much as I can.

Commission open.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 6:08 PM

I've used System Restore before. It didn't seem to do the same thing. It really didn't. However, GoBack has a Microsoft credit in there right under Roxio inc. I think that the main differences to me are that GoBack has so many more restore points, it doesn't seem to take as much memory, and it does give you the option to keep any changes that you have made AFTER the restore point. Plus, it runs at system start up, and it only takes about 3 minutes to run with no reboot. You can even decide to "Go Back" at the last minute during start-up, and put your computer how it was before "That stint on the internet that really wasn't that great an idea"; saving any files you might ACTUALLY like.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.