Sat, Sep 21, 4:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Could someone take a look at my resume? (I need some advice plus I have questio

1eo ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 8:52 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:29 AM

Attached Link: http://www.tereschubert.com/art/extra/ResumeSchubertLeonardo.pdf

Greetings,

I just graduate with a b. arch and I'm looking for a job :p .

Now, I don't want to blow my opportunity of working close home because of a badly presented resume and I was hoping you guys could give me some tips.

I don't have much experience in the field so I need to make it up some how :D

Anyway, here is my resume in a PDF format:
http://www.tereschubert.com/art/extra/ResumeSchubertLeonardo.pdf

In the OBJECTIVE... is going right to the point good?

EDUCATION: Should I mention my GPA? (it's 3.04)
Should I mention I did two semesters in a "Technical college" (3.68 GPA)?

SKILLS: Should I mention I'm a porfessional photographer?

Thanks a lot!
Leonardo
BTW, here is a PDF presentation of my Thesis http://www.tereschubert.com/art/extra/ThesisSchubertLeonardo.pdf
and my http://www.tereschubert.com/art/
website

Message edited on: 06/08/2005 20:54

bicycle ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 9:29 PM

file_252652.jpg

..it looks very good. I like the fact thats it's on one page. Some CV's are ridiculously over-padded.

A bit of color maybe? If people are going to download your PDF, they'll be able to cope with some color too? I keep my own CV's in Word - more widely accesable, for non-graphic folks, though not as production friendly as Adobe's Acrobats.

www.paulspence.com

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 12:04 AM
Forum Moderator

but you go out there and get the job THAT YOU WANT. Do not settle for anything less. Good luck and good hunting. Go in for the kill.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

cryptojoe ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 12:09 AM

Leo, I would suggest we move this thread to the writers forum, where people with language skills can assist you more with your endeavors.

I'm really terrible with English and it's my primary language; however I can see some grammatical errors.

We all wish you the best man! You're a great kid and a wonderful member who is always helpful to those of us who are less skilled that you are. So, I think if I did not make the offer to move the thread I would be doing you a disservice.

Joe

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 7:38 AM · edited Thu, 09 June 2005 at 7:40 AM

I hope you didn't just print your real address and phone number and place it on the Internet. I wouldn't take that risk.

"I am prone to to fast learn new programs" isn't quite right (though I understand what you mean). "Proficient in drafting and web page design, I can also create 3-D models in a fast-paced environment. I quickly learn and become proficient with new software." (BTW I don't like my version either...but I am rushing to get dressed for work.)

Normally I wouldn't think of putting graphics on a resume, but it is completely appropriate considering the business you are in.

I don't think you need to say you are a professional photographer...that is covered by your eight years in commercial photography. Instead of saying "I have an extensive amount of experience....," I would simply write: "I have extensive experience...."

I agree with bicycle in that you might want to consider a Word version of the resume. The font (for me) is a little hard to read....you might want to consider using a more standard font. I would not put the resume in color. You want to have the resume look sharp if someone copies in for committee consideration, and not everyone uses color copies or printers (I realize in your profession, they probably do, but don't count on it).

And feel safe to ignore any comments that don't seem relevant. :)

Impressive resume. Good luck!

Message edited on: 06/09/2005 07:40

1eo ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 10:27 AM

thanks a lot guys... Thanks guys, real good tips!! English is my second language.... Grammatical errors is something I work hard to get rid off, but still get them.. I'll keep you guys posted, with the new corrections Regards, Leonardo

midrael ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 12:22 PM

I agree with dialyn on not using color in the resume. Considering that mostly Human Resource guys would be printing off the resume in the first place, they're probably not using color printers. On this line: "I can model complex 3D model" That second "model" should be "models". Also in this part: "I am prone to learn fast new programs." I would change that part to something like this: "I am capable of quickly learning new programs." For this line under Photography: "I have eight years of experience in Commercial Photography, from product catalogs to entertainment and photojournalistic photography for public events." I would suggest changing that to something like this: "I have eight years of experience in commercial photography. My portfolio ranges from product catalogs to photojournalistic photography for public events." Under Employment, this part: "Working in a very tight schedule" I would change that to: "I worked in a very tight schedule" Hope this helps :) David L. Writer's Coord.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 12:55 PM

I rarely disagree with Midrael but "I worked in a very tight schedule" sounds like a dress that's a size too small. "Experienced working with tight schedules" or some such thing might communicate the idea a little better. You can see even native English speakers disagree with each other. :)

1eo ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 1:36 PM · edited Thu, 09 June 2005 at 1:38 PM

dialyn, Midrael was referring to a specific part on my resume where I was describing a particular job that I did.

Out of context your sentence makes a lot more sense, but once is place in the paragraph... midrael's sentence makes more sense. (I think :P or no?)

BTW someone else corrected the same sentence and told me it's "on" instead of "in" = "Working on a very tight schedule" which one is right...
They also told me avoid using the word "I".. ouch!
I'll post another draft soon

Regards,
Leonardo

Message edited on: 06/09/2005 13:38

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 2:02 PM

One thing people often do in resumes (to avoid the whole "I" thing) is to do bullets (which is why I wrote "Experienced working ...." Some verbs to start off with include (but are not limited to): * Developed... * Created.... * Implemented... * Instituted * Established... * Evaluated.... * Managed.... I don't think, personally, "I worked in a very tight schedule" is the best way to phrase it, no matter what the context. Anything that stops the reader and gives them an unfortunate visual should be avoided...especially in resumes! But I think you should do what you feel most comfortable with. :)

1eo ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 2:54 PM

Attached Link: http://www.tereschubert.com/art/extra/ResumeSchubertLeonardo2.pdf

thanks dialyn, Now your coment makes more sense to me... I don't speak that way, so I guess I'm not used how it sounds :P I just made a few changes and here is my second draft (I'll use "Experienced working with tight schedules" in my next draft) Regards, Leonardo

rhettro ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 4:33 PM

Also "I have proficient in drafting" should be "I am proficient in drafting."

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.