Sun, Sep 22, 6:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Suggestion Box

Welcome to the Suggestion Box Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing

Suggestion Box F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:06 am)

This forum is designed for suggestions from the community on how you feel we can improve Renderosity.

Subject: The Right To Delete

Dinhi ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 3:35 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:37 AM

In light of recent image theft, I have a suggestion to make.  

There is a great amount of flattery when someone adds you to their "Fav's" artist list, no doubt about that, but what if you didn't want your images "automatically" sending notifications to certain individuals that have tagged you as a "fav"?  

Let me give you an example:

Over the last year, I have had numerous individuals add me as a "favorite artist" to their list, and have NO contributions to the site, none.  And when you look at all the individuals they have loaded on their "Fav" list, it really makes you wonder!

The majority of these users do not even collect images as fav's, just users.

What if I did not want to be on that individuals "Favorite Artist List?"

I know this can open a huge can of worms, but I believe a well constructed letter to the unidentifiable consumer would help identify legitimate usage.

I really feel many of these individuals steal the stuff they like, they never leave comments, they do not contribute.

Can we have the right to delete those that make us their favs?

What are your thoughts?

Namaste...it's universal  [ =

bpclarke ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 3:59 PM

I like the idea.  I would like the opportunity to find out if they are just harmless lurkers or thieves.  After the snafu with the Russian site that had many of our images posted for sell over there, this is something we should definitely think about.  Legitimate accounts are hard to track down, but ... any more ideas?
Bunny

Dinhi ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:10 PM · edited Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:12 PM

Once we have the right to delete, it becomes very simple:

Any person that made us their favorite, their site is viewed, if we are in question, we email them, thank them for the "honor" so to speak, and ask them to tell us what brings them to Rendo, why perhaps they did not comment on any of your works.

If it is a classic image thief, they will not respond to your email, and you can safely delete them.

I personally would like that option.  I have 7 individuals that have made me a favorite, never commented on mine or anyone else's work, and have a ton of very established artists on their fav list.

Have you ever had a legitimate artist put you on their fav list and NOT make a kind comment about adding you? And never make a comment on a single post you upload??

I believe there are many kind and non discriminatory ways we can inquire to a persons account when thanking them for being chosen.  I believe we do not need to sit back and allow instant notification of our pieces to those that are harvesting.

zollster ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 6:21 PM

well i have several artists as my faves and i've yet to put a comment when i added them cos i didn't see the point when all its for is to send me an email so i can look at their new pics

bpclarke ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 6:34 PM

The difference is, you post images too.  Those that Denise was referring to have no galleries at all here.  Only collections of other artists.
Bunny

kestrel ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 6:53 PM · edited Sat, 17 March 2007 at 6:55 PM

Quote "What are your thoughts?" Seems to me they would simply need to perform a periodic text search for your user name in this case. Sadly the only way I know to keep them from being stolen is quite literally to never post them.

gellenburg ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 7:56 PM

Ok... Hmmmm.... I add you to my favorites, but if I don't leave you any comments you might confront me? If I don't respond you then remove me from my favorites? Hmm... What's the logic in this? I should not be compelled to comment on or respond to anyone who is in my favorites. Freedom of speech is just as important as freedom from speech. I do have a right to remain silent, even if I'm not being arrested.

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

Dinhi ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 9:25 PM

Again and for the last time:

I apologize that my comments are being pulled in "nasty forum" directions.

My suggestion to this forum was that *I would like the opportunity, after carefully researching, emailing, etc., to opt out of being on someones favorite list that DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE to the community in any way shape or form.

Key word here is NEVER CONTRIBUTED in any way shape or form.  With all due respect to all artists that live busy lives, myself included, I do at least make a comment on those on my favorite list, and there is a comment REASON on my favorite artist list.

The three I went to today that so kindly added me, were blank pages, no contributions, no comments on why they "favorite" an artist, just hundreds of names.

Of the 7 others, multiple attempts to thank them and generate a dialog of artistic interest has left me with no response.

I would like the choice to make that decision based on very thorough investigation for myself.  If I feel uncomfortable, let me have the option.

Asking for your thoughts was merely to ask how you feel, I already know how I feel about it and wondered if the option could be made available.

I think I have pretty much made my personal feelings about this known, and cross my fingers that option some day is made available.  

Thanks for  your response gellenburg,  this is why we live in the land of the free, I don't have to agree, and I can still respect you for your beliefs.

Peace out, I am done, I made my thoughts known, I don't have to defend them, after all...it was just a suggestion. 

Raven78 ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 5:49 AM

Hi folks, this is the first time I post here, and I simply have to give a comment on that. I have the same problem as Dinhi. And I also wonder about what to do with these people who simply add you but do not contribute anything ever. I checked their galleries and the only thing I find are hundreds of pages with favourite images and artists. To tell the truth, I don't like that at all and I would be happy if there would be a function to simply delete such members. Greetings Raven

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 7:27 AM

file_372084.jpg

Man...I'll be sure to take my artwork with me next time I visit a gallery.

8 )

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Dinhi ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 11:58 AM · edited Sun, 18 March 2007 at 11:58 AM

Keep in mind, we DO NOT want to delete the users, simply have the option to take OUR selves off of a users account we do not feel comfortable being on.

I think it's important that we as artists have the right to make a sound choice of our own if we feel uncomfortable about a user that has added us.

Funny, I looked at 3 or 4 users in particular that have me as a favorite artist.  They have anywhere from 7 to 26 pages of favorite artists and thats it, nothing else, and again, no comments!

That could mean several things, but when I do not get a response back to an IM or email, I then become "skeptical" and would like to be removed, but that option does not exist.

If some individuals gain an account to "harvest" images, then I would rather they had to work to find them and retrieve them then to have my email pop up for easy grabbing.

Just how I feel about it.... 

Raven78 ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 12:04 PM

Sorry, I used the wrong expression, of course it's all about taking ourselves off of a users account, and NOT delete this user. I just explained that wrong.

Dinhi ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 12:12 PM

Not a problem Raven98!  I thought as much, I just didn't want someone else reading this to attack the comment, and not see it as you had intended. 

gellenburg ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 12:15 PM

But did it ever occur to you that perhaps that Renderosity isn't high-up on the user's priorities?  That they have a life that exists outside of the galleries and forums?

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but to me it is just short of hacking to allow another account to be able to modify my account settings.

I, personally, have about 4 or 5 different accounts that I routinely use.  One to purchase items under, one where I submit my more general artwork, and one where I submit more controversial artwork.  Mind you, I don't always use the same userid across all the various different sites.

And even here, at Renderosity, I have several people in my favorite artists categories under the respective accounts.  You know what?  Not one have I left a comment for.

And if someone sent me an email demanding a comment or a response to their work I would be so turned off by it that you wouldn't have to delete me from my favorites.  I'd do it for you, right along with some colorful and curt metaphors as I remove the item.

I mean, seriously... if you don't want your work to be stolen, don't put it up.

Watermark your images if you're so afraid.

You say you would only delete somebody after careful consideration and examination, but what of those who wouldn't?

If you really want to see your galleries removed from someone's favorites list then the appropriate action to me would seem to contact Rendo staff and request that they intervene and remove you.

Think of the support problems that would be generated to Renderosity if people suddenly started removing themselves from people's favorites.  Some might think Rendo got hacked.

i know you're just trying to curb copyright theft, but the way you're going about it is the wrong way.

In my opinion if Rendo were to implement what you suggest then they might as well just do away with the favorite artist feature all-together.

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

Dinhi ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 12:41 PM

*"And if someone sent me an email demanding a comment or a response to their work I would be so turned off by it that you wouldn't have to delete me from my favorites.  I'd do it for you, right along with some colorful and curt metaphors as I remove the item."

*Wow,  I would have to be one egotistical artist to ever send an email to a user that made me a favorite and demand a comment or response.

That is not what I am suggesting

What I have tried to do, in vein mind you, was one email and/or IM, thanking them for the favorite placement on their site and asking for an polite acknowledgment that they received my IM or email.

I do not believe it would be hard to remove ones self from a user's site, simple really.  When I go to my gallery options, and to my favorite artist options, there is a little "delete" option if I want to remove someone from my favorite list.

What I am suggesting, is the same "delete" option when I then go to [who favorited me] in my gallery options.  No harm done, at least I have the right to remove myself when I do not feel comfortable being on someones list of 1000 ebots.

I really believe there are responsible, respectable ways of doing this.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 3:21 PM

If someone adds me to their favourite images or artists list, I usually send a PM and thank them, and ask them what about that partifcular piece or about my images in general that they like. I go onto explain that knowing what people like and dislike helps me improve as an artist.

Sometimes I hear back from the person, other times I don't.

However, just because someone has placed me in their favourites without commenting on any of my images doesn't mean I assume that they are adding me to steal my gallery, or any of the artists that they have in their favourites...and some lists are long....numerous pages of favourite artists.

Speaking from the perspective of just being a Renderosity member, I don't think I would like to be able to remove myself from other people's favourites. To me that is censoring and pretty much deciding for them what they like or don't like. 

I would think that the solution lies in some other way. Perhaps doing something like 3D Gladiator and some other sites do which requires to member to participate before being allowed access to certain features on the site. Or a certain length of time that they have to be either a member or an active member before being allowed to save favourite images or artists.

I've seen some people suggest in other threads about blocking "right clicking" and saving. There are ways around that. Any screen capture program or your "print screen" key on your keyboard allows you to get around that.  As does using some browsers and just saving the web page to your hard drive. If someone wants to steal your art, there really isn't anything you can do about it when it comes to the internet. It's just the nature of the medium.

I personally don't upload anything to the net that I'm not prepared to accidently find one day on someone else's website. 

I know people don't like to hear "if you don't want it taken, then don't upload it to the internet".  While we may not like that type of mentality, it's really the truth.

The invention of the internet opened up Pandora's Box and there is no containing it. The internet stetches far and wide into the most obscure parts of our world and laws are different all over.  None of us have the  time or resources to go around tracking down each violator and suing them.  Besides, the internet is a gigantic "place" and there is no way for you to be able to find all of the hundreds of sites on the net that may have your art on it. 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 8:51 PM

good idea arcadia, being an active member can mean as little as posting x amount of times in a forum. this wouldn't of course stop visitors from grabbing images but then what could.

and i can umderstand and agree with in main to what dinhi is saying. it's obivious (and note the non mentioning of any named person) that harvesting does go on here. to say otherwise would show naivity. i think. that said,  if something can be implimented to curtail it why not. i can't see it hurting anyone.

a simple box or three would suffice in proflies. 

do you want to be place on another members fave list

allow without coment
allow with coment
do not allow

how hard would it be to do. this way it wouldn't hurt anyone.   jmo

billy

Dinhi ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 9:16 PM

There ya go!

You see, we can have control!

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 9:46 PM

This forum is for suggestions as stated in the announcement at the top of this forum 

"Welcome to the Renderosity Art Community Suggestion Box.

We would love to hear your positive and productive suggestions to help improve our site.

We will carefully consider all suggestions, however for various reasons, not all suggestions will be implemented on the site.

Posts that attack, are disruptive and non productive will be removed."

So please don't turn this into one of those.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 9:54 PM

i hope my post was  productive, non attacking and non disruptive. if it was deemed otherwise i apologise.  please feel free to delete it if that was the case. that said what do you think about the suggestion. re dinhi's original suggestion.

do you want to be placed on another members fave list

[ ] allow without coment
[ ] allow with coment
[ ] do not allow

billy

bpclarke ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 9:59 PM

I thought the suggestions were productive and not attacking anyone.  I also thought they had merit.  Did someone feel threatened by the last few posts?  Just curious.

One thought about the checkboxes, is, if you are interested in the Art Charts, it would probably have an effect on them.  Not huge, by any means, but it is a possibility.

Another suggestion I saw over in one of the forums that looked interesting and I'm sorry I can't remember who suggested it or I would credit them, is adding a "skin" over the images to prevent saving or right clicking.  While it does only slow the thief down, it could disuade them some.  I'm not familiar enough with the web page ripping process to say whether this would effect that or not.  Anyone else know?
Bunny

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 10:22 PM

no there was no attacking or such but just a reminder to keep it nice :O)

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

BeyondVR ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 4:15 AM

Okay, we're all artists, and we think of the site in that way.  It is an art site, and art is meant to be viewed.  Can a member not be just someone who likes to view the art?

I don't remember having to reproduce a picture on a matchbook to get in here.  If I were not an artist I would have no contributions, except for the greatest contribution, viewing the art.

In all things, not just art, perspective is important.

John

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 4:32 AM

I'm uncomfortable with the idea that people who don't post images should be treated differently.

Just looking at it on a practical basis, I can't see why using the Favourites feature would be an indicator of potential theft. If I wanted to steal something, why wouldn't I just save it at the time? Equally, I can't see how a mail to a member who has a lot of faves would elicit anything other than "Well, I like your image." I can't honestly see anyone replying "I plan to rip off your sig, add some repulsive animated sparkles, add my own name, and post it all over the net! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!" You know what I'm saying?

How about if members had the function to say whether they allowed favouriting on a case-by-case basis?
Like when you upload:
Allow viewers to make comments on this image? (Crit, Non-Crit, Both)
Allow viewers to rate this image? Y/N
Allow viewers to add this image to their favourites? Y/N

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 4:36 AM

I like that idea Karen ;)

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 5:47 AM

Quote - I'm uncomfortable with the idea that people who don't post images should be treated differently.

Just looking at it on a practical basis, I can't see why using the Favourites feature would be an indicator of potential theft. If I wanted to steal something, why wouldn't I just save it at the time?

How about if members had the function to say whether they allowed favouriting on a case-by-case basis?
Like when you upload:

if your a harvester you would do as you say ....and then put that artist on your fave lists to save time in harvesting later on , you just click on your fave lists artists and see whats new.

and case on case would be better depending on what the default status would be. would it be uploadable or unloadable to fave lists.

how would anyone be treated differently if the artist chose when they joined?  it can't be the having to post or be active before you can download cos again that would be the same for everyone wou'ldn't it.?

billy

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 5:58 AM

Quote - Okay, we're all artists, and we think of the site in that way.  It is an art site, and art is meant to be viewed.  Can a member not be just someone who likes to view the art?

I don't remember having to reproduce a picture on a matchbook to get in here.  If I were not an artist I would have no contributions, except for the greatest contribution, viewing the art.

In all things, not just art, perspective is important.

John

who would be stopped from viewing any images? that was never suggested

billy

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 8:37 AM

how would anyone be treated differently if the artist chose when they joined?  it can't be the having to post or be active before you can download cos again that would be the same for everyone wou'ldn't it.?

You would be extending a privelege (i.e. to record favourites) to people who post images that would be denied to those who didn't.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

SndCastie ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 8:52 AM

Ok as said again this is for suggestions not debates so please keep it to the suggestion and not get off the subject.

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote - i hope my post was  productive, non attacking and non disruptive. if it was deemed otherwise i apologise.  please feel free to delete it if that was the case. that said what do you think about the suggestion. re dinhi's original suggestion.

do you want to be placed on another members fave list

[ ] allow without coment
[ ] allow with coment
[ ] do not allow

billy

the above would be the artists choice. and it would apply tp their gallery it would have nothing tp do with who could and could noy view the artists gallery. sorry sandcastie but i;m at a loss as to where anyone thought i suggested anything else. not trying to open up a discourse here, just trying to make the suggestion more understandable

billy

SndCastie ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:22 AM

It is fine to discuss the suggestion we just don't want it going off topic so please continue to discuss just keep it to the suggestion :O)

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

Dinhi ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 12:20 PM · edited Tue, 20 March 2007 at 12:22 PM

Suggestion:

Currently in   [My Gallery Options]:

[My Favorite Artists]  *here I have an option to remove any artist at any time.(but I would never do!  Love my fav artists!) * **But the option is available
*[who favorited me] *** here I can see all individuals that have me on their favorite list, their personal email notification of every image I post.  **There is no option to remove myself from any of the favorite artists auto ebot email notification of images I post.
I suggest an option in "who favorited me"  to opt out of being that users favorite, I believe we all have that right.

As far the art charts are concerned, that would be my personal decision no?  Would hurt no one by me, correct? 

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 12:43 PM

We have added this suggestion to the list.

My personal opinion (and this is just my personal views) is that I don't like this idea of removing someone from being able to chose you as a favorite UNLESS it was an option you have to not be listed as ANYONE's favorites not just particuliar members.  I just can't understand why someone would choose to take a specific member off of favoriting you, its not going to stop image theft thats for sure so I can't imagine what the benefit of doing that would be?  Seems it would really have the potential to cause alot of hard feelings with no real benefit to anyone. I just don't get it at all. That is just my personal 2 cents:)

I think my thoughts are the same as billy's as far as it should just be you either choose to allow NO one to favorite you or you choose to let whatever members want favorite you.
Is that what you were saying billy?

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 7:58 AM

thats what i said stacey.

either with a comment or without comment as an added choice.
i was just trying to find some kind of common ground that would suite all

billy

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 6:18 PM

Understood billy and to me it was a good compromise:)

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 11:16 AM

Quote - But did it ever occur to you that perhaps that Renderosity isn't high-up on the user's priorities?  That they have a life that exists outside of the galleries and forums?

Bingo!

I can imagine hundreds upon hundreds of members here who fit into this category.  While many members here seem to live their entire lives at Rendo, many stop by to simply enjoy art.  I can visit a museum and marvel without saying a word.  The curator never requires comments, and always has the door wide open.

As mentioned in this thread, there will always be the high possibility of your work, if worthy, of being ripped.  If you don't want this to happen, don't upload, or, to reduce the likelihood, post at a smaller size or add a distinct watermark.

To punish the quiet members of Rendo out of one's personal fear does not make sense; not everyone is an art ripper.

While Billy's idea seems to be a solution, one must remember that Rendo is all about vanity, and it's a feature that'll never be used because of that fact.  In this case, I must side with Stacey that if implemented, it'll have to be all, or none.

IMHO, forget the entire idea.  It won't stop ripping, nor will it even slow it.  But it will punish the innocent; that is guaranteed.

Regards.

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 11:15 AM

Quote - I'm uncomfortable with the idea that people who don't post images should be treated differently.

Just looking at it on a practical basis, I can't see why using the Favourites feature would be an indicator of potential theft. If I wanted to steal something, why wouldn't I just save it at the time? Equally, I can't see how a mail to a member who has a lot of faves would elicit anything other than "Well, I like your image." I can't honestly see anyone replying "I plan to rip off your sig, add some repulsive animated sparkles, add my own name, and post it all over the net! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!" You know what I'm saying?

Like when you upload:

I like this way the best..it's got the added bonus of being the one way to completely opt-out of the Art Charts if they'd like to, as well.  :)  Just a thought, lol. 

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Charles_V ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 11:28 AM

I have to say, I don't really contribute to the community.

I'm a newb.

I can't get my programs to work the way I want, because I don't know what I'm doing.  

So I have no images posted.

But I do have some favorite artists marked.

I'm also shy.

I support all or none. 

That's all I have to say for now.

Cheers.

C.

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 4:14 PM

Has anyone considered that people that don't post and don't participate may just be here to enjoy the artwork and they might just be favoriting artists whose work they enjoy? Yes, I agree that harvesting has been a problem, but we can't paint everyone that masses favorites with the same brush. Blocking someone from "favoriting" your images won't stop the harvesters. They'll just resort to keeping lists on paper and using the gallery search feature. 

Karen1573's suggestion is the best. Allow it on a per image or per gallery basis where you choose to allow an image or your gallery to be favorited or not 

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 7:30 PM

I agree tainted_heart.   Just take me for instance, if I didn't work here would I be considered a potential image thief?

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 9:09 PM

Quote - I agree tainted_heart.   Just take me for instance, if I didn't work here would I be considered a potential image thief?

I don't know about that, but I'd still consider you really really GORGEOUS even if you didn't work here. 🤤

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 10:16 AM

:) blushes

Thank you

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 12:05 PM

I do think the one good thing that's come out of this thread is the suggestion to be able to mark particular images as "Do Not Allow Favorites."  I would love to see this feature.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

tainted_heart ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 2:44 PM

Personally, i don't see the point in not allowing certain images to be marked as favorites. It really doesn't make sense to me. I would appreciate someone explaining their reasoning for that option...cause I'd really like to understand. What could be prevented by not allowing someone to favorite an image?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.