Tue, Oct 1, 9:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Free Environment Sphere/Dome props and Effects Shaders

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2008 at 7:36 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:31 PM

Attached Link: http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/environment-sphere

Here is some free stuff to create 360 degree environments in Poser. It includes a special effects shader that is very handy for transforming sky photos for more dramatic results.

Follow the link to my free stuff area for this freebie. There are several sub-pages with lots of info and instructions.

Go directly to here > http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/environment-sphere/environment-sphere-demo-renders < to see some demo renders.

If you have questions or need help or you find bugs, please report them here. I'll respond as soon as possible.

Ask quick, though, because tomorrow afternoon I go out of town for 2 days on business and I won't be Poserizing.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

dlfurman ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2008 at 8:02 PM

"This is because most probes are backwards. Don't argue with me."

:) LOL! I think I'll use that as my quote here at Rendo!

Thanks for the prop!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

TheOwl ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2008 at 8:10 PM

I saw the site. Thanks man!

What's this Matmatic?

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2008 at 8:39 PM

Quote - I saw the site. Thanks man!

What's this Matmatic?

Just the single best shader program known to mankind! :)

Download it here:

http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/matmatic

Find out how to use Matmatic at the bottom of the first post in this thread:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2722867

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2008 at 10:55 PM

7/29/08

BB:

Thanks!

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

urbanarmitage ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 1:32 AM

Thanks once again for your efforts and generosity BB! :biggrin:

UA

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 2:10 AM

BB--you aren't working for Smith-Micro because.......

DUDE! You're a creative machine! Now, I'm going "dude". :lol: LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

samhal ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 7:13 AM

Awesome BB, simply awesome! Can't thank you enough!

i7 6800 (6 core/12 thread), 24 GB RAM, 1 gtx 1080 ti (8GB Vram) + 1 Titan X (12GB Vram), PP11, Octane/Poser plugin, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and a wiener dog!

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 9:25 AM

excellent again BB, although i have still have no idea how to create ibl image maps using the P7 shaders from the Equirectangular pics, or standard photos(i think the math is beyond me,lol)
Thanks for the sphere

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 9:35 AM

Next week I'll publish some tools you can use to make an IBL for your scenes, using only Poser. It's a prop with a special shader, and a camera setting.

You set up an environment sphere, rotate it how you want it, and apply effects if desired. You load the special prop and camera settings, render, and save the resulting IBL probe. Then you load it into a light.

Optionally, you load up big props like buildings and ground cover, trees, cars, whatever you want to include in the environmental lighting. You light them using the first probe. Then you render a second probe that includes these other surrounding props. In the end you have a custom IBL probe that includes the sky and stuff from the photo, as well as the big props you've put in the scene.

It usually takes less than 5 minutes and you'll get perfect matching, regardless of how you spin the environment sphere, or what special effect you put on the sky.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 11:00 AM

Hypothetically--if I render an image in Vue up to 1600x1200 px as a bmp file, could that be used instead of a photo? Vue affects some poser materials in less than a friendly way, and that might be quicker to bypass the whole thing with dome and the new tool of which you speak.

I think.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

samhal ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 11:36 AM

Quote - Hypothetically--if I render an image in Vue up to 1600x1200 px as a bmp file, could that be used instead of a photo? Vue affects some poser materials in less than a friendly way, and that might be quicker to bypass the whole thing with dome and the new tool of which you speak.

I think.

I agree with the way Vue uses poser materials (C4D is FAR better at it) but I have already rendered using 'normal' images in the envshpere. It works fine but is not without problems, ie boundary wrapping. However you can minimize that by roataing the sphere on it's y axis. The other issue would be matching IBL lights for the scene.

i7 6800 (6 core/12 thread), 24 GB RAM, 1 gtx 1080 ti (8GB Vram) + 1 Titan X (12GB Vram), PP11, Octane/Poser plugin, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and a wiener dog!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2697974&page=3#message_2985027

Angelouscuitry (see link) says that Vue can directly render a scene (or at least a sky) as an equirectangular image. Such an image would then directly be usable on the EnvSphere or EnvDome - not sure which.

Indoda ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:04 PM

Thanks again for your generosity and sharing your knowledge with us

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:12 PM

In that thread I linked above, on page 2, I actually said how to make your own IBL.

But that was before I understood the problem of gamma correction, and also before I fully understand that "mirror ball" format is not the same as "angular map" format. You need angular map format for accurate IBL in Poser, and you need to take gamma correction into account for accurate color reproduction. That's why I have a custom prop shape and a custom shader - not a straight up reflection shader.

If you want to try the technique discussed in that thread, even though it is wrong on two counts, it is written here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2697974&page=2#message_2983155

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:17 PM

Awesome stuff, oh the God of shaders!   :thumbupboth:

We're not worthy!

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:18 PM

file_410840.jpg

Here's an example, using my new IBL techniques. I used one of Seb Przd's photos from flickr.com - a kitchen. (This is the same image that has the clock and plenty of words in it - very useful for demonstrating that a real PHOTO *can* be loaded and rendered directly, with no previous manipulation, if the environment sphere is built correctly.)

The lighting is very subdued and yellow. There is a ceiling mounted light fixture with 4 bulbs, and the walls are yellow. The cabinets and appliances are white, but the lighting makes them look cream colored. I generated and loaded an IBL image, and I also set up a dim, yellow spot light from above. (Necessary for speculars, and also because the original photo is LDR, not HDR, so the hot spot information from the light bulbs are missing in the photo.)

I placed Simon into the scene, applied VSS shaders to him, and rendered.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:33 PM

gasp there's a nekkid man in the kitchen!     I think I like it   ;)

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:40 PM

file_410842.jpg

Another demo. I placed a a white floating box and sphere, with proper gamma correcting shaders on them. Look how well the colors match the cabinets.

(The man is drunk and demanding food preparation. His wife and sister are disgusted. Again.)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 5:54 PM

I too would like to say a BIG thankyou 2 bagginsbill for his generosity,i cant imagine a world without his expert knowledge, again thankyou... looking forward to the custom IBL creator 

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 7:31 PM

The lady in the white turtle neck seems to be looking at the box and thinking "Not leftovers again!" Thanks once again for another awesome freebie.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2008 at 10:22 AM

I have Poser 7 where do I download for that? Says to contact you? Starting with nothing so would need to get pointed to the right ones. The only thing I found was for Poser 6 which I don't use. Not sure how much work it's going to take to set this all up as I don't understand any of it at this point.
Thanks

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2008 at 6:49 AM

Marque,

Sorry about the delay in answering. I have uploaded the Poser 7 version of matmatic beta 1 scripts to my matmatic page.

http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/matmatic

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 11:05 AM

file_411318.jpg

An excellent freebie, BB.

This is what I knocked together last night. Just the Environment, a panoramic image plus matching IBL probe, the car, Miki2.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 11:21 AM

Hell, yeah! Nice job. The car looks great.

ima70 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 11:25 AM

In case it result useful for this prop, there is a program called HDRI Shop it's free:

gl.ict.usc.edu/HDRShop/

With this you can converst a lat/long picture to a probe then you can use the matching IBL as in the env sphere. the only thing I noticed is that the sphere must me rotated 180º in the Y axis to match properly.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 11:35 AM

Good job ima70 - I meant to tell people about that program but I forgot. And you're correct, you must rotate the sphere 180.

OR

Rotate the image in HDRSHOP by half its width.

However, while this does work, there is a problem if you're going to use my special effects. In such cases, the original image does not have the correct colors and brightness. Nor will it take into account any large nearby props (such as a wall) or your ground color (if you're using a 3D ground.)

That is why I'm working on my IBL Generator tools. With a couple clicks you'll be able to render a 100% perfect IBL probe to go with any scene you've set up, including your props, your special effects, and whatever rotation you happen to have used on the EnvSphere.

ima70 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 11:38 AM

That soud wonderful

Thank you for your work!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 12:17 AM

Attached Link: http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/genibl---ibl-generator

IBL generator is done. Go get it.

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 5:08 AM

i am searching for months free 360 pics but not luck . and then he comes and he just found them.

can you please tell me what did you writte in google?

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 5:11 AM

the best part is that now you can see the image in hte preview. which is great for setting my scene.

thank you for htis

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 5:25 AM

so how now to get this outtside of poser without the enviorment visible?

1. you render two times. once with the envsphere. the second time without it and only some simple shaders. then you make a matte.
  2. you make a second sphere that is smaller and you make it green. then you have basicly greenscreen.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 6:55 AM

thankyou BB,excellent work,looking forward to using this later

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 8:22 AM

I typed many useless things. Then I found the word "equirectangular". Very unique and very specific.

From Google Image search, that word led me to flickr.com. In flickr alone there are thousands and thousands of equirectangular images. Many are in excellent super high resolution, 10000 by 5000!

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 9:01 AM

Quote - I typed many useless things. Then I found the word "equirectangular". Very unique and very specific.

From Google Image search, that word led me to flickr.com. In flickr alone there are thousands and thousands of equirectangular images. Many are in excellent super high resolution, 10000 by 5000!

thank you for your help. do you have to register? 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 9:23 AM

no

Daventaki ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 7:27 PM

Thank You Bagginsbill for all that you do for us!! 

Would it be better to get the biggest image size available?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 8:31 PM

If you're going to directly see the sphere, then yes biggest is best, especially if you're not using a wide-angle camera.

For reflections only, high resolution doesn't matter much.

For environmental lighting, high resolution doesn't matter at all.

The only reason not to use the biggest is to save memory and perhaps compute time. I've seen Poser go nuts taking all day rendering reflections of a 10K by 5K e-sphere image, while in the same scene just zipping through reflections of a 6K by 3K e-sphere image.

jartz ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 12:53 PM

A question:  I have rendered using your Environment Sphere Dome, and I think what you did was excellent.  How is that when I render I get fuzzy background?  Is it because of the low resolution image?  Should I move my camera or better yet, size the sphere down a bit?

Other than that, I like it?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 3:20 PM

Quote - A question:  I have rendered using your Environment Sphere Dome, and I think what you did was excellent.  How is that when I render I get fuzzy background?  Is it because of the low resolution image?  Should I move my camera or better yet, size the sphere down a bit?

Other than that, I like it?

One of the most curious things about the environment sphere is this: changing its size has little to no effect on how big looks, or on how fuzzy it looks.

The fuzziness is due to you looking at a tiny part of the photo. You need a really big photo to get away with looking at only a tiny part.

Everyone should experiment, please, and learn how things work. Change the sphere scale to 50% - render it? See no change. Try 10%. See no change. If you get small enough, though you'll start to see perspective distortion - i.e. where your camera is will change how it looks.

Try changing your camera focal length. Go smaller. Go bigger. Move the camera to bring your subject into view at different focal lengths. Observe the changes in the background.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 3:56 AM

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 5:56 AM

Great picture, ice-boy. Try animating it - it's even more stunning.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 6:02 AM · edited Mon, 18 August 2008 at 6:05 AM

i will do a quick animation. reflective humans(terminator 2 anyone? ) look incredible to me.

ohhh i dont know why but your ENVsphere is better then anything other that i found on the internet. it looks like it renders faster.
why is that?

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 12:15 PM · edited Mon, 18 August 2008 at 12:20 PM

for the sun i used the glow effect in after effects. i did this for a more realistic feel. i rendered the specular in a seperate video. then in AE i just used it as a matte.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 4:00 PM

Very nice animation.

I'm not sure why my sphere renders faster than others. Perhaps because I kept the poly count lower? Higher poly count slows things down. On the other hand, going too low on poly count results in larger polygons, which tend to be "seen" by the ray-tracer more often, and requires more culling. Or maybe it is because my polygons are facing inwards, unlike every other sphere I've ever seen.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 4:08 PM

maybe because they are invwards.
but you agree that it renders faster? or is it only on my computer? because its an obvious change.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 4:37 PM

ice-boy:

Everything I do is faster than anybody else's implementation. :)

I'm impressed that you notice the subtle stuff I do - always. You're the only one who really got excited about gamma correction in shaders, and realized you could do it yourself all over the place.

My new shadow catcher has the same behavior. Poser has a built-in shadow catcher. I am making a new one in shaders, which should be slower. Mine does 10 times more stuff, renders better, and has lots of control parameters. But mine is faster than the built-in one.

I work on these tools for days, weeks, even months. The EnvSphere and its shaders took me about 150 hours. I did over 400 test renders. The GenIBL tool took months of research, experimenting, and testing. I went down so many wrong paths on that one. Then one day, while I was on my usual 2 hour drive to one of my clients, I was thinking about how refraction works, and I worked out how to do the perspective correcting lens in my head. I was so excited, I coded it up as soon as I got out of the car. I was so surprised it worked. Who would have thought that setting the index of refraction to 1,000,000 would have any practical use? Still, after that I fine tuned the number of polygons in the probe for hours, trying to find the minimum that produced accurate reflections, so it would be fast.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 4:47 PM

new test render. it looks good.  used only your shaders.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 4:56 PM

Quote - ice-boy:

Everything I do is faster than anybody else's implementation. :)

I'm impressed that you notice the subtle stuff I do - always. You're the only one who really got excited about gamma correction in shaders, and realized you could do it yourself all over the place.

My new shadow catcher has the same behavior. Poser has a built-in shadow catcher. I am making a new one in shaders, which should be slower. Mine does 10 times more stuff, renders better, and has lots of control parameters. But mine is faster than the built-in one.

I work on these tools for days, weeks, even months. The EnvSphere and its shaders took me about 150 hours. I did over 400 test renders. The GenIBL tool took months of research, experimenting, and testing. I went down so many wrong paths on that one. Then one day, while I was on my usual 2 hour drive to one of my clients, I was thinking about how refraction works, and I worked out how to do the perspective correcting lens in my head. I was so excited, I coded it up as soon as I got out of the car. I was so surprised it worked. Who would have thought that setting the index of refraction to 1,000,000 would have any practical use? Still, after that I fine tuned the number of polygons in the probe for hours, trying to find the minimum that produced accurate reflections, so it would be fast.

well i notice things buecause i read everyhitng you writte. i like all the technical stuff that you do. i dont always understand them but i try my best to do. 
you are obvious a very smart man. you are also a thinker. i think you wrotte many time that this is your hobby and that you like the chalange. i agree.
i just hope ...i really hope that one day the people who are working on poser will take your ideas.

the best things about this new sphere is :

1. preview.
    this is a big thing because you can set your scene in 5 seconds. before that it was almost a pain to do it with all the renders.
  2. fast rendering.
    it works so fast its not even funny anymore.

about gamma correction: are you really sure that i am the only one? gamma correction was basicly the last step where you made poser renders look.....REALISTIC. the difference is obvious. i really think there should be a sticky. and a mini tutorial. there should be NOOOOO renders without gamma correction.

shadow catcher? hmmm. whats this? when you render only the shadow and make the ground invisible?

GEN IBL is groundbreaking :)

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 5:01 PM

file_418840.jpg

*Bump" This is amazing.  I have a question for you BB, I'm preparing a set of lights to go with some background images for poser to put first in freestuff with low resolutions then a larger package in the marketplace.  I don't have panaramic images to work from and use your wonderful tools with, I just want to set it up to utilize the provided image.  I want people to be able to just put a model in it, possibly use the "shadow only" ground plane (P6) and render.  There would be no objects other than the model(s) in the scene. How can I make an IBL using one reference photo?  Boni

In the sample note that I used a displacement map (granite) applied to the ground plane to suggest the grassy  ground in the photo.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 5:00 PM

i'm not BB, but i'll take a crack at part of this...

first of all, he has a better shadow catcher that he gives away.  i suggest pointing at that instead of the ground  plane one.

second, you can fake it.  you've already got the ground worked out, now all you need is the sides and top.  if you don't want to make more of a pano and use BB's environment sphere, just use a box.  the thing is to give his IBL generator something to work with that works fairly well.  IBLs aren't very precise, so you don't really have to be precise with the environment.  also, we don't really know what we can't see, so you can have some fun.  just don't give the IBL generator a huge unnatural patch of a solid color.  once you have  a rough environment on all sides, load up his IBL generator and make some IBLs.  for anything lit, i use the method suggested by (iirc) Synthetic. and iterate my IBL renders to simulate the bounce.  but if everything is already lighting independent (like a background photo usually is), then i'd just do the one IBL render.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.